2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 110 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

mhu714

On the Ice
Then why do say that Kostner can't land any other triple triple than the "pedestrian 3toe-3toe"? She landed 3lutz3toe already in 2003 when she came first on the scene, she landed 3flip3toe at least years Worlds, and she did the same combo today.

You're allowed to not enjoy Kostner's skating; I do not enjoy the skating of all skaters either (but of most skaters) but no need to talk about crap about which is obviously not true.

C'mon, EVERYONE knows that Kostner's tech merit (for good reasons, related to injuries mostly) has been reduced for at least a few yrs now. As you said she did a lutz combo in 2003? When was the last lutz she even tried? Talk about not recognizing facts. She seems to be upping it now but compared to many of the other top contenders she still usually depends on her PCS. OK, that's her strength and she deserves credit for it. That being said if she gets a medal (which seems likely barring a meltdown), I'll certainly live with it if I think the judging is fair. If she makes a few mistakes but still gets whopping PCS then I'll probably post more stuff that will get me crucified by folks. I can take it :yes:

CarneAsada

Medalist
C'mon, EVERYONE knows that Kostner's tech merit (for good reasons, related to injuries mostly) has been reduced for at least a few yrs now. As you said she did a lutz combo in 2003? When was the last lutz she even tried? Talk about not recognizing facts. She seems to be upping it now but compared to many of the other top contenders she still usually depends on her PCS. OK, that's her strength and she deserves credit for it. That being said if she gets a medal (which seems likely barring a meltdown), I'll certainly live with it if I think the judging is fair. If she makes a few mistakes but still gets whopping PCS then I'll probably post more stuff that will get me crucified by folks. I can take it :yes:
Wut. She's attempted the Lutz all season...

Selene

On the Ice
I just finished watching the ladies' short program on my DVR. So many surprises!

Carolina, Adelina and Yuna were clearly the class of the field. All of their elements were executed beautifully. They deserve to be far ahead of the rest of the field. Their scores are all so close; it's going to be a dog fight for the gold medal (I bet on Yuna, given her consistency. But Adelina could take it if Yuna makes a mistake, given the home field scoring.)

Gracie was okay, but all of her jumps were terrible. She was so tight, and she really blew the chance to pick up GOE on her jumps. She's in fourth, but six points back of the three leaders, who all have much higher PCS than her.

The Japanese ladies all really bombed. I did not expect that, at least from Kanako. I knew Mao and Akiko had some technical weaknesses. But I'm really surprised to see Kanako and Mao in the second group.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I agree with that order bobbob/wordsworthgirl posted above but those scores are toooo highhh.

Kostner is the only one who should have cleared 70, IMO, and she shouldn't have gone far past 70 either. Her spins did not deserve high scores (I'd give +1 to the flying camel and 0 to the layback and combination spin).

David21

On the Ice
C'mon, EVERYONE knows that Kostner's tech merit (for good reasons, related to injuries mostly) has been reduced for at least a few yrs now. As you said she did a lutz combo in 2003? When was the last lutz she even tried? Talk about not recognizing facts.

She landed a lutz a few weeks ago at Euros. You say you already watched Kostner skate a few times...even if that is true, you need to pay a bit more attention. ;) (Or maybe you are not so good in telling apart the different jumps...)

sayhahaha

Spectator
The funny thing is, Yuna and her country don't really care about winning the OGM again haha, but obviously she's the favorite after seeing her easily getting 1st even after skating early (which means less PCS compare to the ladies in the latter portion of the competition.)
I mean if Yuna makes 2 or more mistakes, I wouldn't place Kostner as the back up gold medalist as she isn't so consistent; probably Sotnikova as Sochi knows how to score its skaters well.
Whatever the results, long live the queen :)

christiannnw

Spectator
I've been wanting to post in this thread since watching the event live earlier today, but I was a bit shellshocked and didn't want to recklessly throw myself into the fray.

I know it's a horrible idea to personalize sport or anything that doesn't actually affect my own world and life, but I was absolutely wrecked by Mao Asada's performance in the short program. I've been watching her journey and career trajectory since Vancouver, and I've had the misfortune of viewing her experience unsatisfactory results, only then to see her pull herself up off the ice and build herself up again. She persevered through three tough years and found herself better for it: an elegant, lyrical artist, but also a more refined technician, capable of gorgeous triple axels while also able to perform jumps that were previously missing from her repertoire. Any other skater would've given up following the season she had in 2010-11, but she kept going, working hard and improving her skills through one more dicey season, only to emerge as a runaway engine in 2012-13, losing steam slightly at last years world championships but only to rev up to full throttle through this Grand Prix season.

But what I admire most about Mao, in addition to her artistry and skating skills, is that she seems like a very good person. Her dignified demeanor, throughout her wins and losses, never wavered, and her commitment to her sport through adversities both athletic and personal (I still feel for her for her mother's passing) never wavered either. Like some of our very best skaters (including Yuna Kim and Carolina Kostner, both in the running for Gold right now), she was always about the skating, and as an American, she is another fine example of eschewing public posturing in favor of actual skating, athletes of which our country surely needs more of (looking at you Ashley and Gracie). Even though we come from entirely different backgrounds, Mao has become a role model for me these past four years, an artist who has persevered through tough times only to come out better for it, results or otherwise.

With that said, I'm not sure what to make of her placement of 16th at this point. I think the overall rankings are very fair, especially the top 3. I think it's fair enough that Yulia is above Ashley, given the latter's 3-3 downgrade and the former's execution of a more difficult 3-3 (albeit a flutzy looking one, but her spins are much better than Ashley's). After letting my feelings gestate over Mao, I have finally settled on a sentiment to carry into tomorrow's free skate: though she is a longshot for a podium finish, I hope Mao skates a performance that she finds personal satisfaction in. After all, even though this is a sport, the journey is just as rewarding as the final outcome.

skatingfan20

Rinkside
Yuna and Carolina were so amazing. They should have been 1 and 2. If the Olympics were not happening in Russia, Adelina would not be ahead of Carolina, and so close to Yuna. Even with a clean program, Adelina is not in the same league technically or artistically as the top two. Those scores were super generous and very surprising. Adelina has great energy, skated a clean program but I agree that she has something junorish about her performance. If it was indeed a Russian on the technical panel, it could explain how Adelina is in second.

Globetrotter

Medalist
C'mon, EVERYONE knows that Kostner's tech merit (for good reasons, related to injuries mostly) has been reduced for at least a few yrs now.

I think we just got to agree that spectators have disagreements over what they prefer and what areas they put emphasis on in scoring a skater. Yuna delivered as planned but Caro surprised most by upping the ante from 3T-3T to 3F-3T, so kudos to her on that. Looking at the various posts, I notice that most of the differences seem to focus on Sotnikova's scores with some thinking that she deserves less GOE as her jumps were "ugly" while others were awed by the height. I think the scores for Caro and Yuna are just about right, with Yuna delivering the bigger jumps, Caro the better steps, about equal on spins TES wise. PCS, the area where I think Caro did better than Yuna was on her interpretation and transitions which are usually her strengths. Yes, Yuna and Caro have both gone down a notch in their speed but perhaps it is due to their music selection. I simply cannot imagine them going at their previous speedtruck mode with the lyrical pieces they have chosen. Lets hope the judging stays fair. My quibble with the judges in SP way way overscored Sotnikova PCS wise and probably also Gracie Gold TES wise despite all her jump wobbles. Otherwise, I do think Yuna and Caro were scored pretty fairly overall.

gds102

Rinkside
Just saying, has anyone noticed that of 30 ladies, only 2 were called wrong edge? Its Li Zijun and one Canadian skater. I start to wonder why the rules even exist.

rain

Record Breaker
It's interesting to watch without a dog in the fight. All of the top three were dynamite.

Kaetlyn Osmond was buried in the draw and she needed to have the same kind of great performance she had in the team event to keep herself near to top group. Unfortunately she didn't get it. Hope she comes back strong in the LP — she's got absolutely nothing to lose. She has a similar terrible draw, though.

Now, as for the top three:

YuNa was amazing. Steady as a rock. Her usual great performance quality.

Carolina totally won my heart with that skate. After watching her horrible performances at Olympics past I wondered if she was cursed, but this SP made up for everything. So fast, so smooth, beautiful jumps, some of the best arms in the business. My sentimental favourite of the night. That's one I will watch again and again. It was everything ladies skating should be. She absolutely deserves to be right up there

Sotnikova — if one of the Russian super teens was going to stand on the podium I always hoped it would be her. I love that she's a little diva out there. I felt badly for Lipnitskaya, she was so devastated, though I actually felt she was overmarked with the error just to keep her in touch for a possible podium finish. But Sotnikova has all the speed and maturity of performance that Lipnitskaya lacks. Sotnikova clearly understands and skates to her music. She finishes her movements unlike Lipnitskaya (example: Julia does that incredible spiral move where she starts with her leg held up to her ear by her side, then dislocates a hip or something and swings it to the back — it's awe-inspiring — then she just drops it unceremoniously back to the ice, like, okay, done with that move, on to the next). Sotnikova had stunning spins — I love, love, love her side camel where she raises her leg straight up. But that footwork looked like work and her 3-3 was easier (if extremely well done). So, balances. I'd definitely have her behind Kostner, and maybe a point or two behind the top two. I have to admit I was thrilled for her, though. It must have been really tough to be the Russian champion but be completely overshadowed by Lipnitskaya to this point, who's become an overnight sensation. Nobody was talking about Sotnikova, it was almost like she had ceased to exist. That had to be a bitter pill.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Do you guys notice how inconsistent Gracie's landings are?
I mean girl needs some serious work on her landings.....

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna and Carolina were so amazing. They should have been 1 and 2. If the Olympics were not happening in Russia.

The thing is they have to happen somewhere. This is one of the only things we know to be true going into this type of competition. Adelina had a great skate. I think Adelina deserves to be in the top 3 and no more than 1 pt behind Yuna. There I said it. Anyone have any troll blocker?

a_reader

Rinkside
I know what you mean and I agree. (I'm a Johnny fan and nobody created waves like he did) I just think there is a better way to be confident and fierce without trying so hard. Ashley isn't there yet. And I wouldn't compare her to Kerrigan either.

Hi Dutchie, yes I think I get what you are saying now. :thumbsup:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you guys notice how inconsistent Gracie's landings are?
I mean girl needs some serious work on her landings.....

I think she just gets stiff. It's weird she can get thru them though sometimes. I agree.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The problem is her takeoffs; she rushes. Her control has definitely improved, though. In the past that 3lutz landing would have caused a bigger problem on the 3toe afterward and that axel takeoff would have caused her to single it.

tempus

Rinkside
Christine Brennan (USA Today): "How in the world Sotnikova ended up ahead of Kostner is anyone's guess."
Amen. Sotnikova is anything but finished--she is not even ready to be a jeune fille fatale, much less a femme fatale--and some of her positions are embarrassing for a Russian who should have been studying ballet for ten years by now!

tokugawaice

Rinkside
The thing is they have to happen somewhere. This is one of the only things we know to be true going into this type of competition. Adelina had a great skate. I think Adelina deserves to be in the top 3 and no more than 1 pt behind Yuna. There I said it. Anyone have any troll blocker?

I agree I had the opportunity to view all top 3 performances. I think there's still a tendency to judge performances based on reputation and recent performances. If we are truly judging each performance on its own merits, I think it would be hard to argue that Yuna was even close to performing at her level in 2010 in terms of speed, transitions, expression, etc. Carolina was the best I have ever seen her, and Adelina really surprised me with her explosive energy and crisp moves/tricks. I didn't see the british eurosport stream but I can imagine them gushing at Adelina's "massive combination!" (huge 3T-3T). The scores are fine with me, with the top 3 scores virtually the same it will be interesting who can hold it together during the LP and win the OGM.

Artistry

On the Ice
Amen. Sotnikova is anything but finished--she is not even ready to be a jeune fille fatale, much less a femme fatale--and some of her positions are embarrassing for a Russian who should have been studying ballet for ten years by now!

Agree 100%!!!!!!!