2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14

Alba

Record Breaker
its not a fact if it doesnt have universal truth.

Yes it does.
Skating skills, position, lines are objective things. Not a matter of opinion like, looks, style, interpretation etc.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
So much drama D: This thread will probably pass 50 pages by the end of the competition...

rosacotton

Final Flight
This is potentially the biggest story of the season. None of her teams have started well, is this because she's given all the attention and politiking to S/K, or because the ice dance world is done with her? She's been on top since 2008, really. I can't think of another coach who has been allowed to maintain their dominance like that - we talk about couples being dropped by the judges when it's decided that their time is up, but does the same thing happen with coaches? It would be nice to see the prefered style of dance evolving again like it did post-2006, and to see some new coaches and schools getting some favour from the judges.

I'm very curious about this as well. Though I think we'll have to wait until after C/L's second event at TEB to get a clearer picture of Marina's position.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm very curious about this as well. Though I think we'll have to wait until after C/L's second event at TEB to get a clearer picture of Marina's position.

Also while the Shibs haven't done AS well as they could have (i.e. winning COC) I'd hardly call their season a failure thus far. They look good to make the GPF this season and their SD is actually very well-choreographed and they've been improving on the TES score in their paso sequences. In addition the amount of +GOE they have received has improved from last season.

Last edited:

rosacotton

Final Flight
Also while the Shibs haven't done AS well as they could have (i.e. winning COC) I'd hardly call their season a failure thus far. They look good to make the GPF this season and their SD is actually very well-choreographed and they've been improving on the TES score in their paso sequences. In addition the amount of +GOE they have received has improved from last season.

I agree with you, Mrs. P, the Shibs have had a good GP. Won't it be three years since their last appearance at the GPF if they make it? I really like their SD, it's one of my favorites so far this season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with you, Mrs. P, the Shibs have had a good GP. Won't it be three years since their last appearance at the GPF if they make it? I really like their SD, it's one of my favorites so far this season.

Yes, it's been a while since they went to GPF!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Barb

Record Breaker
I hope both couples don´t take to heart the results in this competition, the better team in this competition won´t predict the next olympic champion.

noidont

Final Flight
Pretty clear SK is Marina's No.1, SS No.2 and CL No.3...Historically Marina's order inside her head was to mean something.

Alba

Record Breaker
Pretty clear SK is Marina's No.1, SS No.2 and CL No.3...Historically Marina's order inside her head was to mean something.

I've said this since when S/K went to her that they will be her main focus.
Many said C&L will be her No.1 team because they are WC. :rolleye:
At least they are just using her name rather than coached by her.

Shibs on the other hand I don't know. They should've moved time ago.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Im very excited for Coomes and Buckland. They competed at the NRW and the Cup of Nice and they finished with consistently solid scores. I especially enjoy their short dance.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It wasn't 3 seasons of improvement. They didn't even medal at NHK 2013! Then they beat p/b at teb. They almost won euros in 2013 and was 16th in Tes in the fd at London worlds. They were a complete and total mess every year they were in seniors and in 2014 it was the same thing. Lose euros do great at Olympics and then bomb worlds sd. Together they were always a mess and a wreck and I was beyond thrilled when they ended their dysfunctional relationship. They could have been like shibutani's and won worlds bronze in 2011 and won coc shibutani's did and then in 2013 worlds they fell behind shibutani's again. There was absolutely no continuous improvement in any way.

I just think to believe that sochi was a turning point and they never would have lost again isn't shown by the facts of their wild and insane inconsistency! It was just bizarre and unprecedented so hey can be 16th in Tes not medal at a gp almost win euros not make GPfs bomb SDs and on and on! The whole thing with g/p and u/z is that their wrecks of personal lives didn't ruin them at medaling or winning events. I/k was so dysfunctional they might not medal at gp events this year if they were still together. I would predict them to but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't medal.

:agree:
x a zillion to the infinite power

Yes, I/K did Swan Lake.

May I remind you they also did Ghost.

And what they did to it...well! Let's just say there are reasons it is in the Camp Hall of Fame.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Im very excited for Coomes and Buckland. They competed at the NRW and the Cup of Nice and they finished with consistently solid scores. I especially enjoy their short dance.
I really hope they do well this year. They have my second favourite free dance this season, Papadakis and Cizeron being my number one. I would love it if both these teams could make it to the GPF and/or the podium at Euros. Not much chance of that, but that's my dream.

:rolleye: at all the Russian Ice Dance Drama.

meteorlight8

Rinkside

I love all the Russian ice dance drama and am totally Team Ruslena, BUT that said, I actually hope Coomes/Buckland beat all 3 Russian teams here (in my ideal world they'd beat Chock/Bates too, but I realize that's probably not realistic). I really like their programs this year and feel if they skate clean, they SHOULD come out with silver (not accounting for the Russia factor). They both seem like nice fun people off-ice too.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I really hope they do well this year. They have my second favourite free dance this season, Papadakis and Cizeron being my number one.
I can't say that Coomes/Buckland's FD is among my favorites, but it looked much improved at NRW Trophy. From the Cup of Nice videos/performances it seemed like they were just rushing through the music without much choreography. I think that this kind of big, sweeping music is better suited to teams with "bigger" skating/strokes who can avoid looking like they are just rushing through it. But they did better at NRW indeed (except the missed lift, of course).

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker

Yes! Unsure how well they will stack up against I and K partnerships v. 2.0 (or whatever it is since it's not their first breakup), but C/B are very entertaining.

Everyone: let's not mix up "C/B" Coomes and Buckland with Chock and Bates. :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Oh, yeah. And both in the same warmup group, too.

And Bukin and Ilinykh skated together for a little while, too.

They could stage a soap opera called My Three Partners....