2014 Skate America Ladies SP 10/25 | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Ladies SP 10/25

SXTN

Final Flight
Liza's jumps are amazing. So happy she's in the lead. The 3-3 was effortless and her 3Lz was a cracker.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I've missed everything today but it was nearly 80 degrees outside and no clouds so outside on the water seemed a much more enjoyable decision.

Glad for Liza and Radinova but Gracie being in 3rd surprises me. I thought she'd turn it on and capitalize on home ice scoring. I at least thought she would wait until the FS to destroy my prediction of her getting the Gold.

Not sure what Marai's deal is TBH. We all know she is capable offering so much more. That is the frustrating aspect of the whole drama. It's really just :bang: or :slink: at this point. Such a pity.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I know it probably impossible, but I would like that Gedevanishvili end her carreer with a bronze medal at this event, it would be her first Grand Prix medal! :clap:

papa

Match Penalty
Regarding Elena's performance: couple of posters wrote there was too much of everything, a little bit of chaos and disliked the music. I fully agree with that, especially about the music. :no:
I noticed there was a moment late in the program, during her fabulous turbo layback spin, when there was not a single clap in the audience. At first I thought: "how rude!", but now I think maybe people got a little bit disoriented and fed up with JLo... It surely looked odd to me, somehow my impression was Liza generally got warmer reception than Elena in Chicago (did they feel relieved after 3 minutes of disco rhytms?:rolleye:)

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 67.41 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) - 65.57 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 60.81 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 58.96 Short Program
5. So Youn PARK (KOR) - 55.74 Short program, 2nd Copy
6. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 55.39 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 53.98 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 53.79 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 50.70 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 49.29 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 47.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy

andyjo24

Medalist
Is it just me or is Gracie becoming an arm flapper? She just does not pull me in, to me she does very basic skating, nothing about it really stands out.
The way Mirai looked when she took her opening pose you could tell she was not going to skate well, she looked too nervous and appeared as if she was dreading having to skate.
Some great skating today.

She has always been an arm flapper for me. She has actually improved in that department. You should take a look at her "Life is Beautiful" program, and see how much arm flapping she did back then.

andyjo24

Medalist
Sam is very entertaining, but what I noticed when watching her Carmen live at 2014 Nationals was that she was kind of slow and her skating skills were clearly lacking compared to other skaters, such as Mirai, Gracie, and Ashley. She sure was entertaining to watch, though.

Layfan

Record Breaker
She has always been an arm flapper for me. She has actually improved in that department. You should take a look at her "Life is Beautiful" program, and see how much arm flapping she did back then.

I think she has improved too. The problem is more that her arms are a bit stiff so it looks a bit flingy rather than flowy. It's not her fault. It's just the way she moves and you can tell she has worked on it. I think she's lovely. I was crushed by that last spin because up until that point I was thinking "this is what Gracie needs to do - turn in solid programs to become a big contender" - and then the botched spin. Arghhhhhhhhhhh. Well, it's not the end of the world. But she really does need to get in more clean performances. Judges like her.

I'm sure she was extremely nervous going into Skate America as the top American lady and if her performance seemed a bit stiff to some I think that would be why. But I liked it. Maybe this mistake and being in third will take the edge off a bit for the long.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Very true. Back then it looked like she was impersonating a helicopter with the way those things were whipping through the air. One thing Frank did do was smooth out her arms but they are still too stiff IMO; just better controlled. Gracie doesn't have natural flow through her arms. She's just stiff, from her arms to her knees. She's definitely improved but I doubt if she'll ever have "beautiful" arms.

Cyn

On the Ice
I think she has improved too. The problem is more that her arms are a bit stiff so it looks a bit flingy rather than flowy. It's not her fault. It's just the way she moves and you can tell she has worked on it. I think she's lovely. I was crushed by that last spin because up until that point I was thinking "this is what Gracie needs to do - turn in solid programs to become a big contender" - and then the botched spin. Arghhhhhhhhhhh. Well, it's not the end of the world. But she really does need to get in more clean performances. Judges like her.

I'm sure she was extremely nervous going into Skate America as the top American lady and if her performance seemed a bit stiff to some I think that would be why. But I liked it. Maybe this mistake and being in third will take the edge off a bit for the long.

Gracie is also competing in her home town, which will often rattle skaters' nerves, regardless of how good they are.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Loved Liza's performance. It was sophisticated and mature. She deserves to be in 1st place and hope she wins the Gold. I did not care for Elena's program, it was too wild. Gracie skated beautifully but gave away too many points at the end. Marai needs to move on. Many keep making a thousand excuses for her why she has a bad skate but she continues to disappoint. 10th out of 11 skaters is not a good place to be.

bekalc

Record Breaker
What does, "NOT EVEN a Yu-na" type artist, mean? I'm not sure I know what you are suggesting.

I am saying that Gracie is not this fabulous artist that she should be so much above Tukt. I think Kostner is better artistically than Kim. Kostner for me in a lot of ways is the epitome. She has done some really creative stuff. Gorgeous lines.

Yu-na is a good artist to and I enjoy her skating. In terms of artistry, she had some beautiful programs but I always thought she could have fixed a few little things that were just never fixed. In contrast I feel Mao and Kostner DO pay attention more to lines. Yu na does have beautiful arms. In the end normally the best jumper and the best artist does not win. It is the one who best combines the two. I do think overall Kim combines the two better than Kostner.

I should have maybe used someone else other than Yu na. I was just kind of saying she is not the best in terms of artistry. She is not even close to second best.

For the record I do think Gracie has improved I just wish Frank would take her out of the pretty princess box.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Can we just take a moment to admire how absolutely gracefully and maturely So Youn Park interpreted that difficult piece of concerto? It was my favorite program of the SP, very bummed to see the weird and subjective discrepancies in the PCS.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Alexander Lakernik must be the worst controller of all time.

How did Sam cesario not get an e on her lutz. She literally has one of the biggest flutz in ladies skating atm. If they had called flutz she would have dropped 2 places down to 7th

Great skate for elizaveta. I have my doubts but would love to see her beat radionova.

Gracie should have received a < on her triple toe and anyone who says otherwise is crazy.

Felt bad for Mirai. not the skate she was hoping for. hopefully she can squeeze those jumps around in the free

Gedevanishvilli surprised me with a 6th place but good for her. still cant believe shes still skating

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Delighted and impressed by Souyoun Park! She is such a lovely, sweet, and graceful skater. Her jumps are solid (as I said before, everyone should hustle to S.Korea to learn their jump techniques), and she interpreted the music extremely well and in a manner that suits her aesthetic. She has a lot of potential, and she just needs to build up her rep and get more consistent to challenge for the podium.

I do hope that her low PCS aren't a result of judges holding a grudge against S.Korea for its protest against Sochi.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I don't find Liza T to be artistic...at all really. What she is, however, is a very good performer. She's able to get into her music and the character of her music and project that to the audience. She's always been like that. She's not the most graceful or elegant skater in the field but she works with what she has, and what she has is power and attitude. I actually think her "artistic range" is somewhat limited. Liza T isn't able to pull of quiet/softer music; don't forget she used the same SP three seasons in a row. However, not everyone can be versatile...some people need to stick to what they're good at. Liza is good with mid to up-tempo music that allows her to add a bit of attitude and flair. I think Bolero suits her well and I really like her FS too.

Do you find her skating style to be similar to Irina Slutskaya's?

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I feel that Gracie has improved in terms of artistry, partly because this is a program that she's performed over and over again. Being more comfortable does a lot to lessen the stiff arm waving she used to always have in the beginning of last season. She seems to also be actually be listening to the music now, which is a big help TRUST ME. Whether this will carry over to her lp is another story.

This. I know a lot of people were complaining that she was keeping the same SP, but I think Frank knows what he's doing.

Art&Sport, I wasn't complaining about Liza. She was wonderful. I was complaining about Brooklee's score, particularly in comparison to Nagasu, and more to the point, the endless threads and posts here complaining about how the Russians are always overscored and EVIL but the Americans are angels of light. Well, here you have an American totally overscored, but no-one actually cares because the victim was only Australian.

:laugh: I know I shouldn't laugh, but it's true- no one cares about Australia in this sport. I'm so sorry, karne. I agree, Mirai had a way higher score than I was expecting after that skate.

Sidenote: Wasn't there some sort of kerfuffle Brooklee and her not actually being Australian or something? Was that her? Was that Australia? idk

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 67.41 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) - 65.57 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
3. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 60.81 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 58.96 Short Program
5. So Youn PARK (KOR) - 55.74 Short program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 55.39 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 53.98 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 53.79 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 50.70 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 49.29 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
11. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 47.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy