2014 Skate America Ladies SP 10/25 | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Ladies SP 10/25

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Art&Sport, I wasn't complaining about Liza. She was wonderful. I was complaining about Brooklee's score, particularly in comparison to Nagasu, and more to the point, the endless threads and posts here complaining about how the Russians are always overscored and EVIL but the Americans are angels of light. Well, here you have an American totally overscored, but no-one actually cares because the victim was only Australian.

Mirai wasn't overscored. She averaged in the 6's on PCS. That's not exactly great. Her spins and footwork are fine and her double axel was excellent. She is just better than Brooklee, even on a bad day.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
watching live, Mirai is absolutely not in Brooklee's class. her skating skating, jumps, basic, musicality, posture are much, much better, Brooklee's layback spin is perhaps a little faster.that is about it.

randomfan

Record Breaker
My thoughts on some skates:

1. Liza was great and she had awesome jumps. She was great technically but kind of lacked artistry. Hopefully she beats Radionova in the free since I don't want her to win.

2. Elena Radionova was good and although I give her credit for a lucky save on the 3-3, her program was so unorganized and her music made it too chaotic.

3. Gracie was really stiff. Not sure what to say about her skate. BTW why did she do her SP from last year? Also i liked her red costume better.

4. My first time seeing Samantha. I was impressed with her performance, but not sure about the 3-3. She deserved 60.

5. I don't get why So Youn was so underscored. Her program layout was exactly the same as her swan SP from worlds. Nice 3S-3T with no mistakes, step out on the lutz in both then a good 2A. In fact her spins were all way better than before so she deserved about 60.

I didnt watch Mae but judging from the comments she probably did well I guess.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^Mae did well but was underscored. :bang: the judges didn't appreciate her efforts I am so frustrated.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Only just got home ergo only just got a chance to respond now.

Both Mirai and Brooklee are buried in the standings with no hope of a medal. If Nagasu (and I don't really know whether she did although I don't think so) got a slight home bump as is done at every GP for some of the host country's skaters, what in the world does it really matter when she's in 10th place?

Wait, what? So you think it's perfectly okay for home cooking to happen as long as it only affects a little country skater who is already lower in the standings but still needs every world ranking point she can get? I have no words for the utter lunacy of this statement.

Sidenote: Wasn't there some sort of kerfuffle Brooklee and her not actually being Australian or something? Was that her? Was that Australia? idk

Only from a few idiots. Both of Brooklee's parents are Australian. She has an Australian passport. She is an Australian citizen. Due to her father's work she has spent most of her life in Australia. That does not make her not-Australian.

Mirai wasn't overscored. She averaged in the 6's on PCS. That's not exactly great. Her spins and footwork are fine and her double axel was excellent. She is just better than Brooklee, even on a bad day.

3Lz-2T, 2A, 3Lo< vs 3F<, 2A and 3Lo-1T*. Not on your life.

Again: if it had been a Russian girl who beat Mirai in these circumstances, you'd all be up in arms.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
3Lz-2T, 2A, 3Lo< vs 3F<, 2A and 3Lo-1T*. Not on your life.

Again: if it had been a Russian girl who beat Mirai in these circumstances, you'd all be up in arms.

Mirai got FCSp4 while Brooklee got FCSp3.
Mirai got StSq3 while Brooklee got StSq2.
Mirai's 2A is better than Brooklee's.

Mirai's PCS is better than Brooklee's.

Is it that hard to understand? Basic math is not hard at all.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
More beautiful skating on this extra-long Sunday morning. Lovely stuff. Am especially thrilled about Liza back at the top, and how. The costume somehow fits, too, although I spent some time frowning at it first, it does add to the overall impression I got, like she was making a statement saying she is a grown woman now (not perfectly sure how to say that in English).
Radionova was on fine form, too. :yay:

RABID

Final Flight
My thoughts on some skates:
I don't get why So Youn was so underscored. Her program layout was exactly the same as her swan SP from worlds. Nice 3S-3T with no mistakes, step out on the lutz in both then a good 2A. In fact her spins were all way better than before so she deserved about 60.

I know. This makes me nervous. I have this paranoid thought that she is being penalized for looking too much like YuNa, as if that is a bad thing; and that she should get another coach to try and change that. I hope not. Call it the Korean style and let it be. This needs to be encouraged, not discouraged as if it were bad for figure skating.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I know. This makes me nervous. I have this paranoid thought that she is being penalized for looking too much like YuNa, as if that is a bad thing; and that she should get another coach to try and change that. I hope not. Call it the Korean style and let it be. This needs to be encouraged, not discouraged as if it were bad for figure skating.
It's not that it's bad for figure skating. It's just that it invokes comparisons. I have seen this before and seen it better. Nobody is going to be a better Yu na than Yu na. It is kind of like when people call Gracie's program generic. Or the way some criticize Radionova's free as not up to par with Kwan.

Part of what makes skating great is individuals have a chance of expressing herself.

It is far better to encourage the skaters to be the best version of themselves. Then to copy others forever. I am glad Yu na did not spend the rest of her days copying Kwan.

In this young skater's case my understanding is that she has a ballet background. Why not run with that. She will never be Yu na. She will be far better as herself. Focusing on her strengths.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I have to say that re-watching it Gracie's SP is really really better than everything she's done so far: her best program for me for sure, I'm actually happy that she kept it, now that I know her FS...

Meoima

Match Penalty
In this young skater's case my understanding is that she has a ballet background. Why not run with that. She will never be Yu na. She will be far better as herself. Focusing on her strengths.
that I garee. But So Youn is still young. She is fresh, she doesn't look like Yuna at all. Don't worry too much.
But I do hope she will get someone different than David Wilson as the choreographer.

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
I feel like what reminds people of Yuna in So Youn is the choreography and the fact she has the jumping technique. Mostly the choreography. Blame Wilson for that. Even a begginer in watching figure skating (like me) can see the Wilson patterns in it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It's not that it's bad for figure skating. It's just that it invokes comparisons. I have seen this before and seen it better. Nobody is going to be a better Yu na than Yu na. It is kind of like when people call Gracie's program generic. Or the way some criticize Radionova's free as not up to par with Kwan.

Part of what makes skating great is individuals have a chance of expressing herself.

It is far better to encourage the skaters to be the best version of themselves. Then to copy others forever. I am glad Yu na did not spend the rest of her days copying Kwan.

What on earth are you on about? In what way is So Youn skating style / program (other than same choreographer), heck even her 3s/3t combo in anyway like Yuna. Is she suppose to renounce her Korean heritage too before you are satisfied? It is clearly more of your problem. By the way, ALL young skaters today are all influenced by the dominate skaters of their day, it is just the way nature works. Just like the Kwan era. It is the natural order of things.

Even Elena Radionova herself has go on record on Yuna's influence in her skating, as well as Mao and Carolina. Even Liza comment on liking Yuna and Mao's elegant and effortless jumps. One thing I really like about Radio is she is not afraid to try anything, and she is the one who did the ambitious opening 3lz3T like Gracie did. Playfulness and Experimentation is very promising for a young buddying skater before refining and mature their craft.

Quote from Elena's Post Junior World Championship interview via google translation http://mosfigurist.ru/?p=1260#more-1260

- It is a pity that Audrey Hepburn did not skate! I can not say whether it is possible to be like someone at will, but I like skating Yuna Kim, because it makes everything very gracefully and easily as if entirely without tension. I think its the perfect skating. Also like how Mao Asada owns skate like Carolina Kostner - as it looks on the ice. I would like to ride as they are - naturally and beautifully.

Oh by the way, I'd be happy to have a head to head debate with you on why Yuna Kim's work is more artistic and credible than Carolina Kostner's work, based on principles of John Ruskin's philosophy that is hugely influential in the world of art and design till this day. Ready when you are.

Alba

Record Breaker
Great skate for elizaveta. I have my doubts but would love to see her beat radionova.

Wouldn't you love to see her win, rather than beat Radionova?
Are you concerned more with Radionova losing or Elizaveta winning?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wouldn't you love to see her win, rather than beat Radionova?
Are you concerned more with Radionova losing or Elizaveta winning?
I think Radionova was a lock for the gold (because we all know Gracie is nervous) but it's the surprise that the judges actually put Liza above Radionova in the SP. I hope she will do well in the LP. It's still early anyways.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think Radionova was a lock for the gold (because we all know Gracie is nervous) but it's the surprise that the judges actually put Liza above Radionova in the SP. I hope she will do well in the LP. It's still early anyways.

That was not my point. I'm just amazed that some people are more "happy" with someone losing, rather than just be happy that their fav skater does well, and maybe win.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That was not my point. I'm just amazed that some people are more "happy" with someone losing, rather than just be happy that their fav skater does well, and maybe win.
Ah yeah, IT that's not an appropriate attitude. I don't care about the high score, as long as it's a win. Against who doesn't matter. Actually I only hope for Liza a clean skate in the FS and no regret. We can't control the judges, neither can Liza.

bekalc

Record Breaker
What on earth are you on about? In what way is So Youn skating style / program (other than same choreographer), heck even her 3s/3t combo in anyway like Yuna. Is she suppose to renounce her Korean heritage too before you are satisfied? It is clearly more of your problem. By the way, ALL young skaters today are all influenced by the dominate skaters of their day, it is just the way nature works. Just like the Kwan era. It is the natural order of things.

Even Elena Radionova herself has go on record on Yuna's influence in her skating, as well as Mao and Carolina. Even Liza comment on liking Yuna and Mao's elegant and effortless jumps. One thing I really like about Radio is she is not afraid to try anything, and she is the one who did the ambitious opening 3lz3T like Gracie did. Playfulness and Experimentation is very promising for a young buddying skater before refining and mature their craft.

Oh by the way, I'd be happy to have a head to head debate with you on why Yuna Kim's work is more artistic and credible than Carolina Kostner's work, based on principles of John Ruskin's philosophy that is hugely influential in the world of art and design till this day. Ready when you are.

I was not the one who brought up that her style was like Yu-Na's, others did.

As for who is more artistic that is subjective. I will say this I never cared for Kim's spiral. The foot position was never nice.I cannot think of anything like that on Carolina. Don't need huge flexibility but s pleasant position is always nice. It bothered me it was never fixed.