2016 Cup of China Mens SP | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Mens SP

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Two of the judges gave him a costume violation (well I assume it was for his pants). Probably under the men-are-supposed-to-wear-pants-not-tights rule and I guess they consier him tights? He doesn't lose points though: he on;y loses point if a majority of judges press the button.

... The silly part for me is that Max's pants fall into a grey area. They're too tight to be pants, but they're not tights. They're leggings. And maybe that's why he only gets a couple of judges press the button. Oh well. Maybe the judges are just jealous of how good they make his rear end look.

:bed: :bed: goodnight!

Looking at the score sheets now, Max had a costume violation? I feel like I missed something, what happened?

Sarah, see karne's comments about Max's pants. :)agree: I am in agreement that he is not wearing tights.)

Adding to what karne has said in this thread:

Although not in sufficient numbers to cause a costume deduction, protocols for Max (and at least a couple of others) previously have shown one or two costume violations at other comps.

The referee is authorized to give costume violations as well, so if the comp has nine judges, it has ten "votes" re costumes. So six votes would have been necessary to constitute a majority, which would cause a deduction.​

A belated Good Night to karne :). Thx for all your posts.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He got zinged for the pants apparently, they thought they were tights but not enough of them for it to end up being a deduction.

Seriously?! :scratch2: Even if it didn't end up being a deduction in the end, this is just ridiculous. Looking at videos of his SP last year, he appears to be wearing the exact same pants. I wonder why they'd pick up on this now?

For the long program they'll probably try to say that his lion king shirt isn't a shirt at all, he just painted designs on his skin. :laugh: :rolleye:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sarah, see karne's comments about Max's pants. :)agree: I am in agreement that he is not wearing tights.)

Adding to what karne has said in this thread:

Although not in sufficient numbers to cause a costume deduction, protocols for Max (and at least a couple of others) previously have shown one or two costume violations at other comps.

The referee is authorized to give costume violations as well, so if the comp has nine judges, it has ten "votes" re costumes. So six votes would have been necessary to constitute a majority, which would cause a deduction.​

A belated Good Night to karne :). Thx for all your posts.

Thanks ice coverage, I saw this after my first reply.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Under scenario 2+ 3, where Yuzuru get 2nd or 3rd, there's also Jason winning.

1.) Jason 2.) Alexei, Nathan or Mika 3.) Yuzuru

Jason would have 28 points
Alexei would have 24 points; Nathan/Mika would have 22 points, so lose tiebreaker to Boyang.
Yuzuru would have 24 points.

So one out of those scenarios would keep him out, but if Nathan/Mika get second, Boyang stays.

OR
1.) Jason 2.) Yuzuru 3.) Alexei

Jason has 28 points
Yuzuru has 26 points
Alexei has 22 points

Boyang stays in GPF, so no more additional scenarios to your 2nd place Yuzuru stimulation.

Not saying this is likely or anything, but just noting that Jason/Alexei/Yuzuru would also get Boyang out but if Alexei or Yuzuru switched spots, he would still be in. Not sure if you included that in your scenarios.

Of course we still have the FS. at COC to contend with...

Hah, you're right, I forgot Jason/Alexei/Yuzu! That I'd forget the scenario with Jason wining... gonna go into the fan corner and be ashamed for a while :laugh:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Seriously?! :scratch2: Even if it didn't end up being a deduction in the end, this is just ridiculous. Looking at videos of his SP last year, he appears to be wearing the exact same pants. I wonder why they'd pick up on this now?

For the long program they'll probably try to say that his lion king shirt isn't a shirt at all, he just painted designs on his skin. :laugh: :rolleye:

Considering that lion king one almost looks like he's got breasts, watch them call it indecent or something :laugh:

No but seriously, it is very silly. They're obviously not tights and if we can see it on our screens, they should be able to do so up close and live. But then Adam got zinged too, for that sleeveless one, and there have been other interesting calls for costumes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thank Gawd for Sergei or this have been a Russian disaster for their Men. Still haven't seen Boyang's program so I won't comment on his gigantic score. BRB

GOOD LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!! How is anyone ever going to beat him when it comes to his TES? Add to that, he's a great performer! The rest of the skaters need to bring it or he won't be caught by ANY of the Men at this event. In fact, at any event. Spectacular...:cheer2:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hah, you're right, I forgot Jason/Alexei/Yuzu! That I'd forget the scenario with Jason wining... gonna go into the fan corner and be ashamed for a while :laugh:

Haha, no worries. I totally think Jason is the most fun being under the radar--so I was reluctant to even mention the possibility, but hey got to point out the possibilities. ;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The one thing I didn't like about Boyang's program is all the weird "running" moves he did over and over. Or maybe it was more like skiing? Either way, it bothered me.

I said it earlier in this thread and I'll say it again: he's growing on me as a skater. Plus he's just so cute on a superficial level, he has the baby face of a six year old. :love:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
maybe we are not understanding each other which is fine...

but let me try again. I said Voronov lost points where Chan didn't : on levels. Not getting levels on spins also will reduce the factored GOE on the base value... when, like Voronov, a skater doesn't get any level 4s, it is actually pretty close to a 3T in value... 4 points... Patrick lost points too, but he didn't lose as many on levels as he got level4 for 3/4 of his elements... and the one level 3 he got was very high GOE... go back to the protocols. Compare Patrick's spins and steps to Voronov.

I am pointing this out because yes, Patrick earns more in PCS but people think Voronov really outdid Patrick in TES and yes, he did but NOT enough because he missed levels. That's all I am saying. Same thing happened at Skate Canada when Yuzu botched two jump passes but scored high levels on spins and steps...
It is a what could have been.

Voronov got scored for what he delivered. He got levels 3 so he got scored for them.
Not to mention, if Chan delivered his program cleanly, Voronov wouldn't have stood a chance anyway. Except he didn't. What matters is what he did do, both of them and that is the only thing that's being scored, or over-scored in Chan's case.

Not a single skater is obliged to think of a cushion for Chan's over-scoring in advance. Or maybe they are, considering.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and well... i forgot to go to bed... i slept 3 hours... now just had a business meeting and going for more work till 8pm... i think i will crash when i get home which will allow me to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the LPs LOL
I set my alarm wrong and basically slept through the entire competition. :( I'll do better tonight for all the long programs.

Those chirping birds in Patrick's music were clearly coming to life and pooping on him every time he went to jump.

Boyang is really starting to grow on me. Yes, his second mark still needs work, but I think he's improved since last year.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Unsurprisingly PCS once again to the rescue for Patrick Chan. I am expecting the same on his long.
Jin is unfairly treated by the judges, now that he has actually real programs the judges are dinging him for components he is clearly improved on. Very different from the treatment of Chen who was able to receive career best PCS scores on very empty programs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Whole post

Thanks for all your hard work! :clap:

I've added a link to your post in the first post of this thread so people can find it later on if it sticks around in this thread. Otherwise, I'd be glad to move it to a separate thread.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Thank you so much Geek of Ice, that's an awesome analysis! And booyah at Spider-Boyangs jump BV! :cool:

That man is the president of US figure skating: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84142&menu=leadership
Lol...

:laugh2:... tbh, this is depressing, this is seriously weird and ridic and I have no idea how anyone could type in those scores without falling of their chair... he's gotta be a troll. US skating is lead by a troll. The only explanation.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Should a fed president be judging? When skaters from his fed are competing? Mr. Auxier's GOE awarding is making a case against it. Will he offer an explanation and apology for his slippery keyboard and clumsy fingers?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Should a fed president be judging? When skaters from his fed are competing? Mr. Auxier's GOE awarding is making a case against it.

Auxier's scoring for Max and Ross was absolutely middle of the road. Auxier did not give any advantage to the U.S. men.

Leanna Caron, president of Skate Canada, has served as a judge at competitions where a Canadian is entered.

Examples:

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Thanks for all your hard work! :clap:

I've added a link to your post in the first post of this thread so people can find it later on if it sticks around in this thread. Otherwise, I'd be glad to move it to a separate thread.

:bow:Please, please, please....can we have a separate thread for the data analysis/stats? It's so interesting to go over the numbers, especially as COP is now a numbers game. There's the FS to come too. Would be so convenient for all of us to have both SP and FS data together in the same thread. :luv17:

da96103

Record Breaker
Yes, I think that is why the rule came into force.

The silly part for me is that Max's pants fall into a grey area. They're too tight to be pants, but they're not tights. They're leggings. And maybe that's why he only gets a couple of judges press the button. Oh well. Maybe the judges are just jealous of how good they make his rear end look.

:bed: :bed: goodnight!

Wait when did Max's pants fell?