2016 Cup of China Mens SP | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Mens SP

da96103

Record Breaker
Seriously?! :scratch2: Even if it didn't end up being a deduction in the end, this is just ridiculous. Looking at videos of his SP last year, he appears to be wearing the exact same pants. I wonder why they'd pick up on this now?

For the long program they'll probably try to say that his lion king shirt isn't a shirt at all, he just painted designs on his skin. :laugh: :rolleye:

Maybe they did, but only this year they published how many judges gave a violation. In the past the just give a -1.00 deduction for costume violation presumably if more than 50% of the judges gave a violation.

da96103

Record Breaker
The one thing I didn't like about Boyang's program is all the weird "running" moves he did over and over. Or maybe it was more like skiing? Either way, it bothered me.

I said it earlier in this thread and I'll say it again: he's growing on me as a skater. Plus he's just so cute on a superficial level, he has the baby face of a six year old. :love:

There's also some web-launching-from-wrist moves to keep him from falling. :laugh: but I like those.

I think the running like moves represent jumping from building to building.

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
Thank you, friedbanana, Mrs. P, Li'Kitsu and qwertyskates! :thank:

Okay, then should I start a new thread - "2016 Cup of China - Score Analysis (Men)" in "2016 Cup of China" category?
(I have back up so it's just matter of copy & paste, so easy to do.)
Then should I edit the prev post, leaving a link to the new thread instead, to avoid doing "multi-post"??? :scratch2:

Let me know what to do and I'll follow whatever works best for you guys! :yay:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Boyang did well, his combo should 0 GOE but overall I think he deserves it. He really has improved a lot. I guess he was having jetlag at SA.

qwertyskates

Medalist

Okay, then should I start a new thread - "2016 Cup of China - Score Analysis (Men)" in "2016 Cup of China" category?
Then should I edit the prev post, leaving a link to the new thread instead, to avoid doing "multi-post"??? :scratch2:

You're too humble, post away...:agree2:...I write a lot of opiniated nonsense and I never thought for a minute that I might be hogging space here...:laugh::taunt:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Auxier's scoring for Max and Ross was absolutely middle of the road. Auxier did not give any advantage to the U.S. men.

Leanna Caron, president of Skate Canada, has served as a judge at competitions where a Canadian is entered.

Examples:

I think this was before she was made president. The change happened right after Skate Canada this year. Not saying she's not bias but she wasn't the head of skate canada until early November of this year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Seriously?! :scratch2: Even if it didn't end up being a deduction in the end, this is just ridiculous. Looking at videos of his SP last year, he appears to be wearing the exact same pants. I wonder why they'd pick up on this now?

That's what I'm trying to figure out, since he's basically worn these pants for the last four years. Of course, he does fill them out differently at different times, and I did hear some chatter that in 2014-2015 (when he was at his bulkiest) he came within a judge or two of actually getting the violation. So I wonder if this has always been a thing, and we just didn't know about it, or if it's a new clampdown.

No but seriously, it is very silly. They're obviously not tights and if we can see it on our screens, they should be able to do so up close and live. But then Adam got zinged too, for that sleeveless one, and there have been other interesting calls for costumes.

IIRC Adam only got one judge press the button at SkAm and no-one did it at TdF. But I could be wrong.

Should a fed president be judging? When skaters from his fed are competing? Mr. Auxier's GOE awarding is making a case against it. Will he offer an explanation and apology for his slippery keyboard and clumsy fingers?

The very idea of the president of the USFS giving Max of all people a boost is laughable and not borne out by the numbers.

Wait when did Max's pants fell?

Oh, no, they didn't actually fall - it's a saying - for me, they come into an overlapping area where they are not pants but not tights. They did not actually fall :yes:

Maybe they did, but only this year they published how many judges gave a violation. In the past the just give a -1.00 deduction for costume violation presumably if more than 50% of the judges gave a violation.

Yes, I am now wondering if this has been a constant.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I'm just going to go ahead and move your post into a separate thread. :)

:commencing mod magic:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think this was before she was made president. The change happened right after Skate Canada this year. Not saying she's not bias but she wasn't the head of skate canada until early November of this year.

You are mistaken.

Leanna Caron has been President of Skate Canada since 2013:
Her current term is from 2015-2019:
https://skatecanada.ca/about-us/structure/ (see Board of Directors tab)​

So Caron has been a GP judge during her tenure as President of Skate Canada.

Perhaps you got confused because Debra Armstrong became CEO (as opposed to President) of Skate Canada in Nov 2016.

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am so sorry for Vornov as he is always penalized for disputable things. I love his skating and he is quite entertaining. I don't buy the argument of skating skills chosen by judges as they want, as if somebody doing successful quads, spins and steps lacks skating skills. I agree there are different levels for spins and steps, still some skaters are loved by judges other are kept at a distance. Even Boyang deserves better PCS. On the other hand, Patrick is showered in GOE/PCSs, with no connection with how many mistakes he makes.

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
I'm just going to go ahead and move your post into a separate thread. :)

:commencing mod magic:

Data analysis thread located here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Analysis-Men&p=1551619&viewfull=1#post1551619

I added a post and assigned it to you, Geek on Ice so you have a separate post for the free skate. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much, Mrs. P (and your wonderful mod magic)!! :thank:
And thank you, qwertyskates, for your warm encouragement! It sure makes a huge difference to a newbie like me!! :hap93:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
You are mistaken.

Leanna Caron has been President of Skate Canada since 2013:
Her current term is from 2015-2019:
https://skatecanada.ca/about-us/structure/ (see Board of Directors tab)​

So Caron has been a GP judge during her tenure as President as Skate Canada.

Perhaps you got confused because Debra Armstrong became CEO (as opposed to President) of Skate Canada in Nov 2016.

You are correct. I am remembering incorrectly.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Boyang's spideyfeet actually stuck this time. Such a fun program :dance2:

My sentimental fav Sergey :sad21: I demand Justice! :dev2:

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
So now that data analysis is done, here are my personal thoughts on SP!

CHAN - Too bad about jumps. But overall, his beautiful skating still wins my heart. Ultimately, Patrick doesn't need music, just the sound of his edge is good enough for me! :rock:

MINER - The music suits Ross so well. He's so light on blades, wish he showed that off more during StSq... Lovely entry to spin and a beautiful eagle! :luv17:

VORONOV - While I kind of agree that he's one of "under-appreciated" skaters, a bit too cautious this time, maybe? I always loved his 4T+3T! I know "trend" now is to have tricky entry to jumps, but I actually like jumps with simple clean line of prep. I like his FS this season, so bring on Sexy Sergei! :cheer2:

KOVTUN - Oh no... I admire him for staying in the character after that mistake! Like Sergei's, I like Maxim's jumps too. A bit unusual posture, but it grew on me! :agree2:

SAMOHIN - LOVE IT! Loved it until the end, yes even his bows! He's so exciting to watch, although usually this song sticks in my head for a week... :bang: But I'll forgive you, Daniel! (IMO he's the one who was lowballed...)

YAN - It was going so well! I hope he's not injured after that. Beautiful skating as usual. Interesting choreo as usual. I still want to see programs that showcase Han's gorgeous skating more though. (I personaly don't like Lori's work on him. :noshake:)

JIN - Yes! Just pure joy! I LOVE HIM! 4Lz+3T was nice, but 4T after that was even more exciting! His performance always make me feel good. Thank you, Boyang!! :hap10:

PETROV - It is OK w/o consistent quad right now, because looking at Alexander's twizzles & rotations, I think he's SO well trained and his technique seems pure that his time will come (& stay longer). :yes2: Loved that his spin was so creative that matched the theme of music!

AARON - I LOVE watching him go "swish" in front of judges before his jumps!! Show them all, Max! :scard7: Maybe his team can come up with a program that features his speed even more? Because not all skaters can skate like him and I think the "longer" glide may suits him more IMO.

BREZINA - This is one of my life-time favorite SP. His smooth skating skill w/ charming choreography make it a masterpiece! It'll be even better w/ clean jumps... (No!! I love you no matter what, Michal! :love:) I hope coaching change will make his quad more stable.

FS is going to be so exciting! Good luck to everyone!!

Last edited:

stella luna

Final Flight
Nice pants ...

Max Aaron USA GO MAX GO! GO MAX GO!
Nessun Dorma
in loose white shirt and judge-violating black leggings

Believe in yourself!
4S-3T YES! fightingMax!
3A PERFECT!!!!!!
CCSp
3Lz step out DAMMIT WHO STOLE THE LUTZES
FSSp
StSq
CCoSp

YES YES YES! There he is! That gritty tough fighter! Oh of all the jumps to biff, it had to be one of his most reliable jumps :laugh: SO MUCH GRIT.