2016 Cup of China Pairs FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Pairs FS

skatemouse

On the Ice
Really Missing Scimeca and Knierim at this event! UGH any updates?? American pairs needs them desperately and maybe this is happening so we all appreciate them more!! COME BACK S/K of the USA!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Ah, did they? Sorry I missed that, I usually follow Men's. I meant Tom Jone's Delilah, like Samohin's SP.

It'd be great to see some passion on the ice.:biggrin:

ohhh, not that one, they skated to Samson and Delilah :laugh: sorry i am having Sui and Han withdrawals, i think about them at every possibility :sad21::cry:

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG CHN 203.76 1 1 video
2 Cheng PENG / Yang JIN CHN 197.96 3 2 video
3 Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 191.54 2 3 video
4 Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG CHN 182.02 4 4 video
5 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA 176.38 5 7 video
6 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 175.53 6 6 video
7 Mari VARTMANN / Ruben BLOMMAERT GER 173.88 7 5 video
8 Jessica PFUND / Joshua SANTILLAN USA 142.41 8 8 video

qwertyskates

Medalist
ohhh, not that one, they skated to Samson and Delilah :laugh: sorry i am having Sui and Han withdrawals, i think about them at every possibility :sad21::cry:

Ah, I meant the chest-pounding version of Delilah, Wang/Wang should do it, they're too sweet and clean!:biggrin:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
We need Queen Ksenia and Empress Sui back. And their respective props.

Ah, I meant the chest-pounding version of Delilah, Wang/Wang should do it, they're too sweet and clean!:biggrin:

I can totally see them do the Carlton... I mean 'It's Not Unusual'.

Victura

On the Ice
The revelation for me this competition was really Peng/Jin. Her personality really shines through (particularly in the short) and I really loved the ease and ride out from their throws. They may just be a triple loop and salchow, but I love a well-landed throw and as a viewer, would much rather see that than the messy quad or 3A throw landings we've been seeing lately from the likes of Savchenko/Massot and Duhamel/Radford.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yu / Zhang. I gasped when they did their 3twist, level 4. Absolutely stunning. Their unison was off during the FP, but I was really impressed with it yesterday. It's amazing how much of a difference unison makes in a pair, especially when it extends to the way they do their jumps and every little movement. Yu is so elegant and serious, in a good way; I mean she's uncommonly committed to portraying the mood of the program. I think Zhang looks 300% more refined when he's skating with her; he looks like he's made an effort to match her in this way.

Peng / Jin. I like this pair even more. The joy that Peng skates with now is really something. The way they execute the throw jumps and the way she lands them is just wonderful, especially when I remember how scary and probably dangerous for her the throws with Zhang were. Their FS contrasted beautifully with their SP; and they portrayed both musical moods very well. Their playful quality is charming, and when they skate to Umbrellas of Cherbourg, they're the picture of young love.

Lubov / Dylan. (I'm not going to attempt her last name!) The FS was as much of a mess as their SP was good. I see the influence of Sandra Bezic as part of their choreographic team.... when they come together for a movement or an element, it's as if they just casually meet, reach out, and smoothly and spontaneously do this spectacular thing, as though it's unplanned. Very nice effect. I do think there's poetic justice that their two bronze GP medals are beaten by Denney/Frazier's one silver and one fourth place, since D/F, in my opinion, should have been ahead of them for the bronze at SC. (watch Lubov/Dylan's reactions in K&C, and their coaches'. They knew.) Not that it may make any difference in the selection of who goes to the GPF, I don't know whether it will or not; but still I'm glad.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The revelation for me this competition was really Peng/Jin. Her personality really shines through (particularly in the short) and I really loved the ease and ride out from their throws. They may just be a triple loop and salchow, but I love a well-landed throw and as a viewer, would much rather see that than the messy quad or 3A throw landings we've been seeing lately from the likes of Savchenko/Massot and Duhamel/Radford.

Oh yes, I completely agree with you! It's a shame that the race for more technical difficulty impacts figure skating this way, for pairs but also for dance and singles. I hope that soon, maybe after 2018 olympics, we'll see some adjustment in the rules so that we can recapture what's been lost. In the meantime, I'd love to see P/J's throw jumps very greatly rewarded, as they were in GoE scores today.:hap10:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Really Missing Scimeca and Knierim at this event! UGH any updates?? American pairs needs them desperately and maybe this is happening so we all appreciate them more!! COME BACK S/K of the USA!

It was announced within the past week that Alexa and Chris will perform in an ice show in NYC approx. a week before Christmas.
(Information about the show is in their fan thread.)

I take it as a good sign that they at least feel comfortable skating in front of an audience again.

Hope it bodes well for them to be ready to compete by the time Nationals roll around.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Want to heartily congratulate the Chinese pairs. It may not have been an ideal way of making couples (seriously, it was all a bit underhand), but the two pairs are already wonderful.

And, comfortingly for those worried, all parties seem happy now, to my eyes. One pair get to do more sassy and youthful which fits them and look more confident in her case. The other get to go a more mature, long lines approach which suits them. She obviously has gorgeous lines and, with all the lumberjack comments in this thread, I will say that he is underestimated in his presentation. I've always found him to have a lovely look for such a big guy actually. And Yu seemed happily chatting to him after the skate while he looked like he was mad at himself for falling and from the body language as they hugged he was either/or saying "Sorry, I messed up!" and "Well done, you!". All in all, she seems to be getting on with the ogre okay. :p

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Luckily they will show up at Gala, I'm sure! And they will heal my broken heart after I/M score and placement.
I just watched Pairs, and I simply cannot believe what these two have done! And they were clearly lowballed at some PCS, like Transitions, Composition, I mean c'mon! It's almost S/M level! Otherwise, quite happy about skates. Congrats to both new Chinese Pairs :) I feel sorry a little to Wang/Wang... they will be probably again nr 4 in China. And I still can't believe Sasha Smirnov had aborted lift :hopelessness: That was like a nail to the coffin...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
IFS magazine on twitter said that that Zhang hadn't missed a jump since 2010. That's pretty unreal consistency wise. I can see why they'd want to keep him paired up with the top ranked female pair skater they have.

Meoima

Match Penalty
IFS magazine on twitter said that that Zhang hadn't missed a jump since 2010. That's pretty unreal consistency wise. I can see why they'd want to keep him paired up with the top ranked female pair skater they have.
only that this time he messed up. I hope it's just peculiar.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

They probably top ranked Peng but she could not bring it with Zhang for lack of confidence. The strategic move to pair her with Jin has brought out her personality and much of her potential. Now they are all free to be their best. Peng's youthful playfulness would not blend well with older Zhang but Yu's elegance and grace suit her to sophisticated and mature artistry that has shone in performing with a very supportive partner Zhang.