2016 Cup of China Pairs FS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Pairs FS

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I don't know who won the pairs comp. But just watched Peng Cheng and Yang Jin's long program and thought they did a wonderful job. They have better chemistry, their body lines match more than when they were with their other partners.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Yu / Zhang. I gasped when they did their 3twist, level 4. Absolutely stunning. Their unison was off during the FP, but I was really impressed with it yesterday. It's amazing how much of a difference unison makes in a pair, especially when it extends to the way they do their jumps and every little movement. Yu is so elegant and serious, in a good way; I mean she's uncommonly committed to portraying the mood of the program. I think Zhang looks 300% more refined when he's skating with her; he looks like he's made an effort to match her in this way.

Peng / Jin. I like this pair even more. The joy that Peng skates with now is really something. The way they execute the throw jumps and the way she lands them is just wonderful, especially when I remember how scary and probably dangerous for her the throws with Zhang were. Their FS contrasted beautifully with their SP; and they portrayed both musical moods very well. Their playful quality is charming, and when they skate to Umbrellas of Cherbourg, they're the picture of young love.

Lubov / Dylan. (I'm not going to attempt her last name!) The FS was as much of a mess as their SP was good. I see the influence of Sandra Bezic as part of their choreographic team.... when they come together for a movement or an element, it's as if they just casually meet, reach out, and smoothly and spontaneously do this spectacular thing, as though it's unplanned. Very nice effect. I do think there's poetic justice that their two bronze GP medals are beaten by Denney/Frazier's one silver and one fourth place, since D/F, in my opinion, should have been ahead of them for the bronze at SC. (watch Lubov/Dylan's reactions in K&C, and their coaches'. They knew.) Not that it may make any difference in the selection of who goes to the GPF, I don't know whether it will or not; but still I'm glad.

their body lines match more, they seem to have better chemistry? but what was up with that chinese audience? they didn't react like they were impressed, lol. I thought they were brilliant.

reneerose

Final Flight
Alright how old is the person who chose the music for the chinese pair teams LPs?

Am just catching up with these skates this evening... and yeah, the music for the Chinese pairs' LPs must be a fan of 50's and 60's movie music. I actually didn't mind it much because I am a sap. :laugh:

In addition, I'm okay with the way the director for the Ice Network feed had the helicopter shots (a la a Busby Berkeley movie) if used very very sparingly (I thought it a neat way to see the synchronicity of the side by side spins, not sure if that's why they did those shots).

Edited to add: I can't believe I/M was given a Bronze for that horrible FS; Wang and Wang should have medaled!? :shocked:

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Off topic: does anybody know what happened to Sui/Han? I know Sui had an Achille tendon injury, but I haven't seen them after that.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Off topic: does anybody know what happened to Sui/Han? I know Sui had an Achille tendon injury, but I haven't seen them after that.

She had a serious operation and has obviously had to recuperate with PT etc. I believe they are recently back on the ice again.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
After an entertaining short programme, this was a disappointing free skate.

The Chinese Fed have succeeded in creating two stronger pairs with their partner swapping. I was really impressed with Y/Z after SC, the performance wasn't quite as strong here but they work so well together as a couple. She is really elegant and stylish and it seems to be making him better. He has come a lot way from his days of Z/Z. I was still shocked to see him fall. Peng seems like a whole new person in her new pairing, she is so happy and relaxed looking. I don't particulary like the free, it really needs new music but some of their elements were superb. The throws were outstanding, it's nice to see big clean throws with a running edge.

I like I/M but that programme did not deserve to be on the podium and that is including the mistakes from the Wangs. They looked nervous starting off and it carried it's way all through the performance. Everything was a struggle, nothing was clean. The choice of music isn't great and I didn't like the choreo but they are scoring big with scrappy performances. They have had two less than brilliant free skates this year but have scored 120+ both times. They seem to be nailing the 3rd Canadian spot. Are MT/M2 injured? The Wangs have a lot of potential, didn't skate their best but I think deserved the podium. She was very upset in the K&C.

I got all excited when I seen Yuko landing the 3T followed by a nice twist and throw. I didn't see that Sasha single one of the axles and then the lift was aborted. From the protocols they had the lowest BV of the field. They didn't do very well on the GOE either and got a couple of lower levels. Where I feel they were marked harshly was on the PCS. They were ranked 4th there and only got 8 for CO & IN, I would have had the first in the field for that. It's understandable that they are not back at their best given what they have been through but of the Russian couples on the GP they are ranked 4th. It could be a tough nationals for them, they have just over a month to get everything together. I remain confident that they will be at Euro's.

The Italians didn't have a great day but did enough to stay in fifth. The Germans had a good outing but I found the music a bit grating and not matching to what they were doing. A bit cleaner and they good have claimed 5th place. The Americans were a bit behind everyone else but they never gave up.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
their body lines match more, they seem to have better chemistry? but what was up with that chinese audience? they didn't react like they were impressed, lol. I thought they were brilliant.

For a change, I thought about this in advance, when I was deciding how to place my choices in the prediction game. I reluctantly concluded that the Chinese organizations/fans/whatever have likely placed their hopes on Yu/Zhang for now. Much the way USA has favored Gracie Gold over Ashley Wagner for years, despite evidence. And in reverse, since the CF seems to want to push Zhang because of his history and longevity in the sport.

But let me hasten to say, I'm 300% of the persuasion that different people like who they like, and that's fine and good for the sport. But I agree with you that the audience didn't seem as impressed with P/J and I don't know why, because Peng/Jin were brilliant.

icekiwi

On the Ice
I like I/M but that programme did not deserve to be on the podium and that is including the mistakes from the Wangs. They looked nervous starting off and it carried it's way all through the performance. Everything was a struggle, nothing was clean. The choice of music isn't great and I didn't like the choreo but they are scoring big with scrappy performances. They have had two less than brilliant free skates this year but have scored 120+ both times. They seem to be nailing the 3rd Canadian spot. Are MT/M2 injured? The Wangs have a lot of potential, didn't skate their best but I think deserved the podium. She was very upset in the K&C.

Glad someone here stood up for Wang/Wang. Thank you 3T3T! Totally agree with you.

I/M were gifted in their marks for the SP. They had a glaring fall in the SP. It should have been Peng/Jin in 2nd place with the 71+ score and I/M sitting close with Wang/Wang, both with around 68. Wang/Wang were undermarked in the PCs for SP.

I/M's LP were an absolute hot mess, neither of their jumps were landed on either partners, both her throw landings were double-footed and scratchy, her triple twist was also scratchy and double footed in landing, side by side spin not in unison. All in all none of their elements were secure except for the lifts. They were overmarked!! Wang/Wang should have medalled with the Bronze. The sad truth is I/M knew it themselves, you can tell from their faces at the KnC. That 3rd place for I/M is a joke and an insult to figure skating.

10-15 years ago, Chinese pair skaters were lowballed in PCs because they were criticised for lack of emotion, artistry, passion, story-telling, etc. And now, there is plenty of it and even more than pair skaters from other countries in their artistry, still they are getting lowballed in the PCs. I am totally sick of the biasness.

Wang/Wang has so improved in their presentation. I thought their SP was brilliant, they have so improved compared to last year - more extension in their arms, lines and a commitment to the music. It was heartbreaking to see Wang Xuehan cry. I wanted to cry too, seeing her so devastated. You can tell she actually wanted to burst into tears straight after the finish of the LP but kept her composure. I wish I could give her a hug.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like I/M but that programme did not deserve to be on the podium and that is including the mistakes from the Wangs. They looked nervous starting off and it carried it's way all through the performance. Everything was a struggle, nothing was clean. The choice of music isn't great and I didn't like the choreo but they are scoring big with scrappy performances. They have had two less than brilliant free skates this year but have scored 120+ both times. ...

I/M's LP were an absolute hot mess, neither of their jumps were landed on either partners, both her throw landings were double-footed and scratchy, her triple twist was also scratchy and double footed in landing, side by side spin not in unison. All in all none of their elements were secure except for the lifts. They were overmarked!! Wang/Wang should have medalled with the Bronze. The sad truth is I/M knew it themselves, you can tell from their faces at the KnC. That 3rd place for I/M is a joke and an insult to figure skating.

I completely agree.

The horrible part is that it was the 2nd time this year this happened. I/M were awarded the bronze at SC over Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier of USA. With a comparable sloppy skate by I/M, falls etc. I could also see the surprise in their faces in K&C at SC that their scores were so high.

And the second horrible part is that if Denney/Frazier had won the bronze at SC as I and many others think they should have, they'd be going to the GPF. They'd have 24 points, ahead of Seguin/Bilodeau, who have 22.

But I also feel for Wang and Wang. They surprised me this week-end with their beautiful skating and expression.

icekiwi

On the Ice
I completely agree.

The horrible part is that it was the 2nd time this year this happened. I/M were awarded the bronze at SC over Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier of USA. With a comparable sloppy skate by I/M, falls etc. I could also see the surprise in their faces in K&C at SC that their scores were so high.

And the second horrible part is that if Denney/Frazier had won the bronze at SC as I and many others think they should have, they'd be going to the GPF. They'd have 24 points, ahead of Seguin/Bilodeau, who have 22.

But I also feel for Wang and Wang. They surprised me this week-end with their beautiful skating and expression.

Fans from I/M's country has gone very silent on this thread because they know themselves that the Bronze was not deserved.

You can see the trend now on most threads. If there is even slight closeness between skaters, they will argue high and low until the sun comes down about how their skaters deserve the placing, etc. This particular thread - Pairs FS, there is complete 'silence' from these fans because they know there was nothing deserving!!

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Hey. I am from I/M's country as you say and I think they were over marked at SC and here. And they are in my top 5 favourite pairs currently performing. It's a bitter pill. I'm swallowing it.

I think Wang and Wang should have been in 3rd place in the long and the short. I saw someone explain why D/F were behind I/M at skate canada (BV's for lifts, spins etc). It didn't totally convince me. I would have had them in 3rd but it was a decent argument.

Stop generalizing. Some fans are ubers and some aren't. You can be a fan or even a fangirl or boy without being blind. They might be quiet because those use who stayed up and watched live are in a hangover like state right now.

And I desperately want I/M to ditch this long. It's awful. The costumes were nice though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
LOL I am a fan from I/M country ... i have not even yet watched the pairs because after staying up all night from thursday to friday... and making it almost all the way to the pairs the next day, I crashed and slept all the rest of the weekend.... I didn't see the pairs FP at all.. and if I saw the results, I still haven't seen the programs.... when I have watched, I am sure I will find some positive in their skating to explain some of the marks? I hope so :)
Fans from I/M's country has gone very silent on this thread because they know themselves that the Bronze was not deserved.

You can see the trend now on most threads. If there is even slight closeness between skaters, they will argue high and low until the sun comes down about how their skaters deserve the placing, etc. This particular thread - Pairs FS, there is complete 'silence' from these fans because they know there was nothing deserving!!

reneerose

Final Flight
Hey. I am from I/M's country as you say and I think they were over marked at SC and here. And they are in my top 5 favourite pairs currently performing. It's a bitter pill. I'm swallowing it.

I think Wang and Wang should have been in 3rd place in the long and the short. I saw someone explain why D/F were behind I/M at skate canada (BV's for lifts, spins etc). It didn't totally convince me. I would have had them in 3rd but it was a decent argument.

Stop generalizing. Some fans are ubers and some aren't. You can be a fan or even a fangirl or boy without being blind. They might be quiet because those use who stayed up and watched live are in a hangover like state right now.

And I desperately want I/M to ditch this long. It's awful. The costumes were nice though.
I really liked their costumes too! Probably change out the Josh Groban music and it might be better. It hurt to watch that LP. That was ugly skating!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
here i am... as promised... catching up on the pairs event.... well what the CBC will show me.

Peng-Jin

I love the Cherbourg umbrellas... even if it's a warhorse song... but please, give me a really nice version of it... this one was underwhelming... also underwhelming was the opening SBS 2A.. well i guess they were opposite 2A but i didn't like it... plus, it's only 2A... 3T combo was iffy was well, she couldn't land but she didn't have a major crash either. From then on, they performed really well. I liked their throws especially. I think they will need to add difficulty throughout to be real contenders.

Yu-Zhang
WOW That twist... will certainly be a quad very soon. WOW... Hao fell???? Is that even possible? and another 2a... I loe their presentation though already. They are so soft on the ice. Yu is the best thing that could have happened to him. Nice throws.... loved the death spiral... so cool. the SBS spins were messy... I loved their performance here but somehow, I was more into it at SC... perhaps it is because of the fall? or were they more pressured by being home? To be contenders they will need to also increase their base value. Easiest jumps... Easiest throws.

I/M
I hate this music... Sorry ;) twist mistake... little hesitation on the throw... weird... uncharacteristic. SBS jumps not appealing but Lubov didn't crash. gorgeous lifts. OKay... this is where they lost it : second SBS... that was the one too many mistake to have a good program. but right after, nice choreo into again an unusual death spriral entry. too bad about the other throw... sigh i have not seen them miss throws like this in a while.. the last lift is so amazing... someone on this forum said they have ugly lifts... erm... ok.... you are entitled to have your opinion.... Yes... I agree... disappointing performance... not enough to keep their silver medal for sure.

Wang and Wang : great opening twist... more issues on sbs jumps.. on the 3s, we dont even see him on the screen... at that point, it's not even sbs... and she falls... th3Lo forward, turn out on th3s... just as many mistakes as I/M i find their performance a bit boring here...

So, yes... i had a few nice things to say about I/M = spectacular lift and death spiral entrance... i agree with the rankings though... the whole LP was a comedy of error when it comes to sbs jumps and t a certain extent to throws.... so, i don't understand why there's such an anti I/M message on this thread.. it was a weird competition for them... never ever had I seen Dylan fall...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I watch I/M while being half asleep but knew they bombed and dropped to 3rd place. So that was that. I hope they've learned from the experience and will regroup for the next competition but meanwhile I'd rather dwell on and appreciate the good performances. I didn't realize even their poor showing would generate criticism of their compatriots. Damn. :confused2:

yqs100

On the Ice
here i am... as promised... catching up on the pairs event.... well what the CBC will show me.

Peng-Jin

I love the Cherbourg umbrellas... even if it's a warhorse song... but please, give me a really nice version of it... this one was underwhelming... also underwhelming was the opening SBS 2A.. well i guess they were opposite 2A but i didn't like it... plus, it's only 2A... 3T combo was iffy was well, she couldn't land but she didn't have a major crash either. From then on, they performed really well. I liked their throws especially. I think they will need to add difficulty throughout to be real contenders.

Yu-Zhang
WOW That twist... will certainly be a quad very soon. WOW... Hao fell???? Is that even possible? and another 2a... I loe their presentation though already. They are so soft on the ice. Yu is the best thing that could have happened to him. Nice throws.... loved the death spiral... so cool. the SBS spins were messy... I loved their performance here but somehow, I was more into it at SC... perhaps it is because of the fall? or were they more pressured by being home? To be contenders they will need to also increase their base value. Easiest jumps... Easiest throws.

I/M
I hate this music... Sorry ;) twist mistake... little hesitation on the throw... weird... uncharacteristic. SBS jumps not appealing but Lubov didn't crash. gorgeous lifts. OKay... this is where they lost it : second SBS... that was the one too many mistake to have a good program. but right after, nice choreo into again an unusual death spriral entry. too bad about the other throw... sigh i have not seen them miss throws like this in a while.. the last lift is so amazing... someone on this forum said they have ugly lifts... erm... ok.... you are entitled to have your opinion.... Yes... I agree... disappointing performance... not enough to keep their silver medal for sure.

Wang and Wang : great opening twist... more issues on sbs jumps.. on the 3s, we dont even see him on the screen... at that point, it's not even sbs... and she falls... th3Lo forward, turn out on th3s... just as many mistakes as I/M i find their performance a bit boring here...

So, yes... i had a few nice things to say about I/M = spectacular lift and death spiral entrance... i agree with the rankings though... the whole LP was a comedy of error when it comes to sbs jumps and t a certain extent to throws.... so, i don't understand why there's such an anti I/M message on this thread.. it was a weird competition for them... never ever had I seen Dylan fall...

For YZ, according to some interview, the first step for this new pair is to clean. They will replace 2A with 3S at later stage of this season.

They (especially she) were doing 3S During the practice. It's just a strategy to give judges a good impression first.

Next year they will add quad twist, or even quad throw...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup.. i am not surprised. It's a good strategy of course. However, I hope the fans understand something though : when competing against other top teams (as in China, there weren't any top teams) they will face a deficit in BV since they have much easier jumps, throws etc.

I think they should try to bring either the 3S or the quad twist right for worlds, rather than wait for olympic season... a team will have a hard time bringing 3-4 new elements in one season....

For YZ, according to some interview, the first step for this new pair is to clean. They will replace 2A with 3S at later stage of this season.

They (especially she) were doing 3S During the practice. It's just a strategy to give judges a good impression first.

Next year they will add quad twist, or even quad throw...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
yup.. i am not surprised. It's a good strategy of course. However, I hope the fans understand something though : when competing against other top teams (as in China, there weren't any top teams) they will face a deficit in BV since they have much easier jumps, throws etc.

I think they should try to bring either the 3S or the quad twist right for worlds, rather than wait for olympic season... a team will have a hard time bringing 3-4 new elements in one season....

Hey, they have been skating together for only half a year. I guess it's easy to overlook this fact when they perform so beautifully as a Pair. They main goal of the Chinese Pairs program is the Beijing Olympics in 2022. But I bet they will have a great showing at 2018 Olympics.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well if the goal is 2022 then fine... if it's 2018, then that's different... i guess the Chinese fed then is still counting on Sui/Han for 2018. I hope they will be healthy soon enough to compete.
Hey, they have been skating together for only half a year. I guess it's easy to overlook this fact when they perform so beautifully as a Pair. They main goal of the Chinese Pairs program is the Beijing Olympics in 2022. But I bet they will have a great showing at 2018 Olympics.