2016 JGP Czech Skate Ladies FS | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Czech Skate Ladies FS

mcq

Record Breaker
Too bad for the girls, though it was not a disaster, still enjoyable to watch.

I hope Rika will still attempt the 3A on her next assignment even if she fell today. Her score is 118 even with a downgrade and a stepout, Even an UR 3A will give her the edge over other ladies. Actually even for this GP I thought she was going to win sans the fall but well, score said otherwise. She will hold her own against other top junior ladies, good luck for your next JGP :agree:
Gubanova easily becoming my favorite Russian. Gorgeous skating, gorgeous arm movement, gorgeous posture. Too bad the jump is not what I expected and perhaps will give her more trouble as she grow up. However I think she will likely make it to JGP. 122 in FS score even with a fall is pretty high. She had 63 in SP with a fall too.

kalee

On the Ice
Or even Gubanova. She has to get just the third place there to qualify for JGPF. Looks like quite passable unlike the win for Lozko. For Nastya even the fourth place may work out as she will be ahead of those with 2+3.

Gubanova is listed as a sub on JGP Russia, so doing that switch is plausible...
Whichever way, Zagitova & Gubanova both should get 2 JGP assignments and, I hope, the best-performing among Konstantinova, Lozko and Samodurova. 162 is a fairly reachable bar to beat, so there's more hope for Stasya and Sofia...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Just looked at scores details. Lozko's details score looks very scary. Almost every jump underrotated. :dbana: Bad skating for her today.

Her jumps in general. She doesn't have a +xT combo. Well, she had to do it in the SP but it was likely a planned UR. She had no +xT combo at all in the FS which is extremely unusual, even taking an intentional 2A sequential penalty instead. When combined with her having a really terrible flutz, it really is a shame but she likely won't be scoring too highly even though she has very pretty spins.

Kihira got 0.8p for her 3A attempt. A clean 2A with good GOE on the second half of the program would have scored close to 5p. It just goes to show that you have to be consistent. Still, I can appreciate her actually going for it.

It's too bad that Gubanova keeps falling. It's always the same combo, too. Her jumps overall actually looked good to me, it's just the Lutz that is ugly and causes problems and has done so for both of these programs.

I really like her skating outside of the jumps, though. Clearly the best of the field, no one comes even close.

Last edited:

Lys

Match Penalty
Rules have changed. Was: put -3 automatically. Now it is considered as the sum GOE. For example: (+1,in musical accent,difficult beginning of a jump)+(-3, fall)=-2

Umh, rules haven't changed from last year, it was already so.
Yes, THEORETICALLY, a jump with a fall could have a different final GOE than -3. But it should have some very good quality to pick all others bullet to compensate it:
1) unexpected / creative / difficult entry (not in this case)
2) clear recognizable (difficul for jump preceded by steps/movements of the Short Program) steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element (not in this case)
3) varied position in the air / delay in rotation (not in this case)
4) good height and distance (not in this case)
5) good extension on landing / creative exit (not in this case)
6) good flow from entry to exit including jump combinations / sequences (not in this case)
7) effortless throughout (not in this case)
8) element matched to the musical structure (ok for this case. it's debatable, but let's say it's ok)

For +1 you need two bullets, which are clearly not met in this case, even without considering the possibility to add (as negative GOE) the points re bad air position/axis for the second jump of her combo.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Except .... it's only a recommendation in the guidlines for amount of bullets you need to gain positive GOE. A judge can award positive GOE for even just one bullet point hit. Hopefully if that happens though it's one heck of a bullet. :)

Lys

Match Penalty
Except .... it's only a recommendation in the guidlines for amount of bullets you need to gain positive GOE. A judge can award positive GOE for even just one bullet point hit. Hopefully if that happens though it's one heck of a bullet. :)

Yes sure, but can we agree it wasn't here the case? :p

I think it would be easier for all if isu just said "-3 final GOE for a fall", but that's me (and if it reworked GOE bullets so to be more strict with them, but again that's me).

Anyway, that aside, I hope both of them can make the Finals :)

MalAssada

Medalist
As much as I like Nastya, I thought she would get second place. Kihira was a pleasant surprise, and I hope to see more of her in the years to come.

I wonder... should jumps fail Nastya, would she be a good pairs skater? Or even an ice dancer?

sarama

Medalist
Her jumps in general. She doesn't have a +xT combo. Well, she had to do it in the SP but it was likely a planned UR. She had no +xT combo at all in the FS which is extremely unusual, even taking an intentional 2A sequential penalty instead. When combined with her having a really terrible flutz, it really is a shame but she likely won't be scoring too highly even though she has very pretty spins.

Kihira got 0.8p for her 3A attempt. A clean 2A with good GOE on the second half of the program would have scored close to 5p. It just goes to show that you have to be consistent. Still, I can appreciate her actually going for it.

It's too bad that Gubanova keeps falling. It's always the same combo, too. Her jumps overall actually looked good to me, it's just the Lutz that is ugly and causes problems and has done so for both of these programs.

I really like her skating outside of the jumps, though. Clearly the best of the field, no one comes even close.

Considering Rika skated very well after the 3A I think it was the right decision to go for it... Her 3A (and 3A-3T!!!) looks really good in practice, so I'm sure she'll manage to land it in competition she just needs some more experience. Of course if she were the kind of skater that gets really affected by a harsh fall (like Alaine Chartrand for example), it wouldn't be worth the risk

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am a little frustrated about Anastasiia. She reminds me a little about Serafima, who has great SS but bad jumps. Unless her coach does some big change for her, her jumps can only get worse with growth, though Anastasiia's jumps are way better than Serafima. Anastasiia's LP choreography is terrible in my opinion. The spins did not match the music at all. So-youn Park's R & J had much better choreography. I don't think she is packaged by her coaching team very well.

I am also a little disappointed at Rika's jumps. Her entire LP seems rushed, and I didn't realise she rotates lightening fast in the SP. Her jumps have little height, and ice coverage is not ideal. So I am also not sure how long she can keep her jumps this way. I do appreciate that she does not have the typical extreme knee bend in many Japanese ladies. Lots of people say that's "beautiful soft knee" but I think it is ugly.
In contrast, Rika's long program is very well choreographed, and her performance is spot-on. I guess I expected more in her jumps and less in her performance.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think she is too short to be an ice dancer.

As much as I like Nastya, I thought she would get second place. Kihira was a pleasant surprise, and I hope to see more of her in the years to come.

I wonder... should jumps fail Nastya, would she be a good pairs skater? Or even an ice dancer?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
applaud Kihara's willpower!:clap:
hopefully she can be in the final. well done!

too bad about Alisa:( SpB isnt happy with you gal:disapp:

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
:cool2: I'm Taiwanese but I've been living and working in Hong Kong now for many years

Back to the free skate... I just realized Rika has an 8-triple program. Imagine if she had landed the 3A... with no edge and UR calls she would've become the first lady to do 8 ratified triples in a long program. How insane is that :laugh:

I'm hoping it happens for her this season!

FINALLY I see a figure skating fan in Hong Kong!!!(I am local HongKonger) We should make a FS fan base together!

hugo

On the Ice
this is very appreciated that all the people are so worried about russian girls (who can't jump and despite of it are still on the podium...)
But what about american, canadian and korean (they were expected to be a breakthrough this season) junior girls ?
I don't want to be spiteful, but I read what people wrote in thread "state of US ladies". It is still a judge conspiracy ??

sneakers

Match Penalty
this is very appreciated that all the people are so worried about russian girls (who can't jump and despite of it are still on the podium...)
But what about american, canadian and korean (they were expected to be a breakthrough this season) junior girls ?
I don't want to be spiteful, but I read what people wrote in thread "state of US ladies". It is still a judge conspiracy ??

well this season is shaping up to be another Russia vs Japan girls.

mermaid

On the Ice
Country
Belarus
There's a rumour on russian fs forum that Tsurskaya will be in Saransk. I just wonder instead of Lozko or instead of Konstantinova. Probably they will replace Lozko.

sneakers

Match Penalty
There's a rumour on russian fs forum that Tsurskaya will be in Saransk. I just wonder instead of Lozko or instead of Konstantinova. Probably they will replace Lozko.

So Tsurskaya will skate in Saransk and in Tallinn or Germany. seems a good idea, she has less competitors there. Slovenia line up is incredibly stacked.

Lipea

Final Flight
Gubanova was just soooo beautiful in that program, best RJ I've seen! She is so passionate, so expressive, an absolute pleasure to watch! And 3-3-2 in the second half was impressive; all the jumps in the second half except the first combo. Still, a fall is not bad if fully rotated ;)
Kihira was also wonderful. I appreciate that she went for tha 3A despite her main competitor gave a strong performance, and that despite the fall she did all the rest of the elements so well. Aside from axel, her only mistake - the stepout - cost her gold. Also very artistic, powerful, and has exuberant energy. She will probably make it for JGP final; so it was worth trying 3A at competition.
And I agree on Gubanova's high PSC - in this area she is unique, an outstanding performer with exceptional posture and skating skills.:love:
Great competition!

Lipea

Final Flight
Just looked at scores details. Lozko's details score looks very scary. Almost every jump underrotated. :dbana: Bad skating for her today.

I always thought that URs are too punished in the current system. Yes, they should be downgraded but why should they be also get negative GOE even if they are executed nevertheless beautifully? Both UR + downgrade makes it worse than a fall if fully rotated. I think it just does not make much sense this way. Either downgraded element or downgraded GOE; not both. Too many beautiful skaters with inperfect technique suffered from it; Samantha Cesario comes to my mind as the most unfortunate.

Lipea

Final Flight
I'm very worried for the Russian ladies. Their jumping technique is just horrible, and they haven't even gone through puberty yet....

All Russian ladies are different, coming from different schools/coaches, no need to generalize here :)