2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies SP

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The best skater for me today is Kaori. She was fast, showed great jumps with height, smooth SS as well as much improved presentation. I hope she can make it to JGP final this time. Before going to senior next season, it would be a great opportunity for her to be in the top 6 and competing with the very best juniors this season. :)

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
To me, Kaori clearly had the best performance in terms of skating skills (smooth speed and sharp edges), commitment, wonderful height, distance, flow and symmetry in jumps and engaging and passionate expression without obvious moments where she stopped to pose; she also had the biggest reaction from the crowd. I was really impressed with her performance. For all these reasons, I think she should have had the highest PCS score. Some people have mentioned she lacks good posture, but I didn't notice this. I don't understand two tech calls. The first was the overlooked ur on Mako's backend triple toe and the fact that Alisa did not get an edge call call on her triple lutz while Sofia justifiably did. However, I think Alisa's PCS scores were too low compared to Sofia's because neither one seemed to skate with the speed, flair and edges that Kaori did. Alisa did seem the slowest, but I liked her expression a little better than Sofia's, though they both had nice performances. I liked Mako's performance second best. Her artistry and skating skills were really impressive for a debut. Marin was graceful and her skating was beautiful as always. Too bad about the mistake on the opening combo. I really felt for her. I hope she comes back strong in the long and I hope the others skaters will deliver their best as well. I haven't looked beyond the top 5 placements yet.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
how cute Alana is, very promising!!
i am so glad Kazakhstan was able to fill their JGP spots this year (thanks to Elizabet :luv17:), we can see some very promising young talents,

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
stats_on_ice is poor database as for Russians, and not up-to-date. Here are Sonia results: http://www.fskate.ru/skaters/3313.html

Yeah. When I was doing out my Predictions for the competitions where Zagitova and Kovalev were making their Junior GP debuts, and found that Stats On Ice didn't have anything on them, I looked them up on fskate.ru. And as soon as I saw their absolute PB's on there, they both went straight to the top of my predictions!

But, it is already very time intensive looking up everybody's ISU Bios and ordering them by ISU PB, and then looking them up on Stats On Ice and re-ordering them by the PB's I find on there. If I was to go to fskate.ru for all the Russian skaters (bearing in mind I can't read Cyrillic properly - I can only recognise characters, and not all of them at that!), it would make the research process far too long!

For a small private effort where he does everything himself, I still think Curran Oi does an astounding job with Stats On Ice. And it is far better than what the ISU provides. :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, I can see why the judging panel marked the level for the two skaters' stsqs. As Alisa landed all of her jumps, I at first thought she made a great comeback from the ankle injury, but her stroking and stsq were no near to her own level last season. She skated very tentatively and much slower than last season (her stsq and SS were her strength I thought last season), so I assume her ankle is not still fully recovered. However, unlike some people's opinion, I think her choice of music suits her character very well.
However I don't know about how the judges gave Mako that score. I would accept if her score is about 61 or 62.
I am not Alisa's fan at all. Her jumps make me fell like this: :eek:hwell: :unsure::scratch2:
But I am not sure Mako should get higher PCS than Alisa. Maybe it's just my preference however their PCS are quite close so I don't care much.

Agree that I'd give Mako 62, around that.

Last edited:

berry8

Final Flight
According to me Kaori was definitely the best.
I was so impressed with her flow and her jumps.
:eeking:

Mako reminds me of Mao: she is gracious on ice.

Alisa is far from her best. She is that slow and her jumps are small...

Marin is a beauty.... Having to jump 3L as solo jump is a disadvantage: last season she used to jump 3L-3T

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I just woke up. :slink:

From eyeballing the results, yay to everyone in the top 4, and I hope Marin and YR move up.

(I also kind of want to do a spreadsheet for this one, if I have time.)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Australian and Canadian judges against Alisa :sarcasm: giving her 4.75 and 5s. What is wrong with them?...

(don't they like Russian programm and music?)
yep that stood out for me
she was slow yes & far from perfect but THAT bad??:slink:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Alisa's PCS the lowest of the top 5 ladies here? After the best SP of last season? ahahah oh well i see where this is going. GG Japan. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Australian and Canadian judges against Alisa :sarcasm: giving her 4.75 and 5s. What is wrong with them?...

(don't they like Russian programm and music?)

I don't know about the Australian but at Skate Canada, russian skaters are always judged poorly, i don't understand the reason.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Sofia, with such mature skating, beautiful & natural performance and solid technique, is by far the best Russian ladies skater I have ever seen! Wow, her skating skills are really cool! :love: Simply unbelievable! :clap: I am becoming one of her big fans now. :)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
According to this tweet by SylviaUnseen, who tends to be pretty well informed on skating stuff, Ashley Kim was injured before the draw.

Mystery solved.

ETA:

In terms of those who did skate, I think I'm most impressed with Andrea Montesinos Cantu. Definitely a nice debut, especially from a non-skating-powerhouse country. Her men's teammate also was impressive.

Last edited:

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Bravo Latin America!!! All the efforts worth it, she has progressed so much, bravo for her and all the skaters

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Taking a look at the long, I love Masquerade Waltz with 2 triple axels and a double toe.

Today was a day of reminiscing the iconic short programs of Mao... what with Promsan from Thailand skating to Masquerade Waltz and Shoma skating to Ladies in Lavender (and wearing lavender) :laugh:

bosskil

Match Penalty
Don't know what happened - Marin was so relaxed and nailed every single jump during warm-up, I personally think she wanted too much, started to think about pleasing the crowd rather than focusing on executing the routine. She will get there with experience, have to remember it's just her second year in JGP.
Marin ss and presence were way above anybody else's, you could recognize that tall, slim, perfect silhouette from miles away. Then she adds the smile and the people in the arena get petrified in awe. Unfortunately the smile disappeared after the mistake. :scowl:
Btw., you're discussing all the scoring, but nobody said a word about reigning world champion getting 55 points on her home ice... Scoring inflation is a myth. :disapp:

Good luck in free, Diamond of Kyoto! :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
According to this tweet by SylviaUnseen, who tends to be pretty well informed on skating stuff, Ashley Kim was injured before the draw.

Mystery solved. ...

Thx, Chem66.

Not surprisingly, as of today, Ashley's name has been removed from the USFS fan zone page. It was there yesterday.
Hope her injury is not too bad.

... and the people in the arena get petrified in awe. ...

Your comments are crossing the line into arrogance again, I see. :rofl2: :rofl: :laugh2:

Good luck to Marin and all the ladies in the free :).
Go, Gabby Noullet :yay:.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do you participate in this thread to share your thoughts on skaters performance in Yokohama, or to ridicule other people's posts on the topic?

I participate in this thread b/c I want to support the two U.S. ladies -- and b/c I would like to learn more about other ladies competing here, such as the reigning junior world champion.

OTT comments about any skaters are not informative in adding to my objective knowledge, but as entertainment, they can be amusing in one way or another ;).