black dress with foil boobs and hip accents

3Lz-3T<
LSp
FCSp
3F! fall
2A
StSq
CCoSp

My stream jerked a few times during that, wonder if people are jumping on for Liza

YEAH GABBY!! All that time in the gym paid off - the way she fought for that jump and pulled it off was fantastic. IMO, a lovely performance and it is only going to get better. Despite some mistakes and wobbles, receiving a good score, she has to feel proud! Well done!

bluelutz

On the Ice
Sadly it seems that Sima is going on through the same pass that Caroline Zhang went through.
Each jumps are so muscled out and she does not know how to use the speed/flow properly
for some jumps especially 2A.
For this issue, she really needs to go back to singles and reconstruct all her jumps.
It will take some time but she is still very young,
and I hope her people will direct her to the right way to deal with it,
not just covering up like spread eagle she did right before 2A.
Otherwise she would be buried in so many talented young Russian girls coming right behind her.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
YEAH GABBY!! All that time in the gym paid off - the way she fought for that jump and pulled it off was fantastic. IMO, a lovely performance and it is only going to get better. Despite some mistakes and wobbles, receiving a good score, she has to feel proud! Well done!

Agreed! If Gabby could get her jumps stable and consistent she would be a force to be reckoned with!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Sima's overall skating is still better than Caronline Zhang.

I think she did better than I expected. She used to land all her jumps with a bend knee and it was wrong and ugly, but now she has at least got rid of that.
She used to have terrible spins; so her spins have improved a lot. But her 2A seems to be jumped out from a standstill.

Sadly it seems that Sima is going on through the same pass that Caroline Zhang went through.
Each jumps are so muscled out and she does not know how to use the speed/flow properly
for some jumps especially 2A.
For this issue, she really needs to go back to singles and reconstruct all her jumps.
It will take some time but she is still very young,
and I hope her people will direct her to the right way to deal with it,
not just covering up like spread eagle she did right before 2A.
Otherwise she would be buried in so many talented young Russian girls coming right behind her.

Alex D

Record Breaker
You guys didn't see her at practice, she was absolutely stunning. I am not qualified to talk about technical aspects of her jumps, never did any of those, but in practice she did those just fine. There is a reason she does them as Tano, she wouldn't do that if she would be weak on those elements.

I just find that all very sad to be honest, she was the skater I really wanted to see smile after the short, but instead ...

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
You guys didn't see her at practice, she was absolutely stunning. I am not qualified to talk about technical aspects of her jumps, never did any of those, but in practice she did those just fine. There is a reason she does them as Tano, she wouldn't do that if she would be weak on those elements.

I just find that all very sad to be honest, she was the skater I really wanted to see smile after the short, but instead ...

When I saw Sima skate (my first time as I really only follow US skaters so I was watching for Amber in this event) I couldn't help but think about current Novice skater Pooja Kaylan. This young girl (getting older every year in Novice) is such a strong skater and she makes it almost every year (Novice) to Nationals but never does well because she just cannot get her jumps. She has improved tremendously this past year but I agree Alex D, it is so sad to see a skater who is so good and has so much talent but just cannot put it all together in that 1 performance where everyone is watching and judging - a tough sport!

LRK

Record Breaker

Alex, Alex, Alex... (buttonholes Alex) Please, please, please... Do you know if there is any chance that there will be video of So Youn & Liza? Can you find out... Please? (stares pleadingly)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Alex, Alex, Alex... (buttonholes Alex) Please, please, please... Do you know if there is any chance that there will be video of So Youn & Liza? Can you find out... Please? (stares pleadingly)

There are no videos up yet on Dailymotion?

The lights are out now, so I can not ask anyone about that. But the videos from last season were archived, so I would guess they do the same this year.

Alex D

Record Breaker
The smile has left her eyes

I actually had the rule to not post about the competition results during the Trophy, but I have to break with that rule, as it was once again, one of those days, that just get to your heart. Days, in which finding the right words can be hard, especially if you don´t speak the language that well.

In theory, all of that shouldnt be of any concern to me, as we writers should be neutral and not care about those we write about, but then again, there are athletes who are just much closer to your heart than others and of course you want them to do well.

So who is that special person who made me break my rule, you may ask? Well, it´s pretty obvious isn´t it? We are of course talking about young Serafima, who just didn´t have a very good skate today and when I was going backstage, trying to find a piece of cake, I saw her sitting there, angry and sad, but also in despair about what happened, today.
I asked her to come over and she came bravely, as that´s what Russians are, they are modest and polite if you ask them, forget the myths of Russians who are rude, because they are not at all, it´s just the language barrier that often stands in the way.
Said barrier, we also had in our conversation as it was more a "lost in translation" than a real chat. With my rubbish russian skills, I could only say "good program", "heads up", not very encouraging, I know... but I really felt for her in that moment, as I know what she is capable of.

In her program, she tells us a story about a young girl - herself, and she is going through various moments in her young life, she opens a book of memories so to speak and while doing so, she is portraing these things, with her facial expression and movements. This girl, is not only an artist, no she is also able to actually bring it all together and skate clean, as she had done so often in practice. I told you about her tano triples, an athlete won´t do that, if she is bad or insecure and her Loop is really gorgeous! She can do these elements, she just needs to believe in herself and do them when it counts.
Her FS is a totally different approach, a very serious topic about despair and hope. Really guys, how can we lift this girl up now?
I am sure, some of our Russian friends here, can find some words of encouragement for young Sima, let´s pick her up together, shall we?
Tomorrow, is another day and I so want to see that happy girl again, who I met a few days ago, when the door was closed and she smiled about that.

Last edited:

bluelutz

On the Ice
Sima's main issue is definitely her jumping skills, otherwise she has been a wonderful skater,
and some other issues that she got are rather minor ones.
I saw her video that she performed jumps on the floor,
and she can do them on the floor because she can rotate very fast in the air, which is an amazing talent.
However, she does the same thing on the ice without using speed/flow and edging properly.
If jumps are performed correctly, they are supposed to have a good flow in/out of jumps,
with good (or at least decent) height & distance.
Then look at Sima's combination jumps, she does not have one much after the first jump,
so she has to absolutely muscle the second jump out.
This worked for her when she was younger and thinner,
having a more womanly body, this techniques does not hold up any more.
Caroline got the same issue, she can not use speed/flow properly for her jumps
though I have seen some improvement over the years, but not enough.
Especially this is so noticeable on their 2A, both of them slow down so much before them
because they can not use/cope with speed/flow/good edging.

I have been enjoying Sima's performance since her debut as a junior,
she has been a lovely skater.
But without fixing this jumping tech issue
it is definitely not going to be easy for her in the future
considering the situation that Russia is flooded with young talents right now.

Interestingly she does the eagle before 2A now, which is a very clever cover up.
But in the long run, that does not help her.
I believe what she needs is to lean the proper technique
to use speed/good edging for her jumps.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now that I've watched a few of the videos from this morning, I want to weigh in on Amber Glenn.

I thought her program was absolutely wonderful today; and one of the great things was the way she created an emotional atmosphere that perfectly expressed the song, Send in the Clowns.

About smiling. Well, there's that song "Smile Though Your Heart is Breaking." I felt that her smile, which I only saw once during the program, was like that. I think she understood her music and felt it and conveyed it.

The commentator even said that the audience fell silent early in the program, because of the atmosphere and interpretation Amber created.

Just my two cents! So far I watched and enjoyed Amber's skate, Gabby's, and Mai Mihara's. I do miss Gabby's 3T-3T. There's something so exquisite about it!

andromache

Record Breaker
Only looked at the protocol (will probably watch the programs tomorrow) but why is Amber Glenn doing a 3F-3T in the SP if she gets an edge call on the flip?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just watched Mai and Amber.

Mai did a perfect skate. She was precise, nailed her jumps and she was flying across the ice. Last year when I first noticed her, I thought she is Satoko with better jumps. If it were not her first senior, she could well be the first in the sp. Even though it's her senior debut, she is 17, and Satoko is only 18!!! Probably Mai wasn't that great in her most junior years, and I didn't notice her at all.

Amber's jump is not perfect. She seems to have Courtney Hicks type of jump: powerful but not very stable.
I admit I was distracted by her hair, maybe the color so close to her skin tone, and also the style (cat lady hair?). Almost looked like she wore a wig. Any idea?