2016 NHK Trophy Men SP | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Men SP

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm totally in the 'Yuzu isn't sexy' camp. He can do a sexy program and sell it like nobody's business, but I'm just not going to buy it. For me his Prince and other showy skates are fun, flirty and energetic. That's enough for me. :biggrin: I don't like overtly sexy programs much anyway.

I only liked 'sexy' when Daisuke did it. Like I said, it's an attraction issue. What gets one girl wild, leaves another cold. :dev2:

Becki

Medalist
The current top 3 in the SP is as I predicted (very wild guesses) but unfortunately, I don't think they will be the final results :( At least I got something right this time haha

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love Elladj's SP! :luv17: He seems to have improved his form and skating skills this season. I would have liked slightly higher scores, but still a decent placement without a quad. Wishing him a clean and successful FS! Very disappointed for Jason.:(. Hope he'll take the energy from the audience, skate lights out in the free, and land on the podium!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I love Elladj's SP! :luv17: He seems to have improved his form and skating skills this season. I would have liked slightly higher scores, but still a decent placement without a quad. Wishing him a clean and successful FS! Very disappointed for Jason.:(. Hope he'll take the energy from the audience, skate lights out in the free, and land on the podium!

Am i the only one who thinks that Elladj looks a better version of Jason?

deedee1

Record Breaker
A bit rough skates from boys tonight. Hoping no one hurt by falls.

Highlights for me from Day1 :):

- Keiji A minor mistake on the opening quad, but he just kept on attacking the program till the end and sold it! :rock: May not a born strong competitor himself, but he's slowly learning how to compete. :yes:

- Emotions from Ryuju finally, which is something I was waiting and waiting from him over these years. His look at the end is priceless, as if a kid woke up from his very sweet dream. :biggrin: Kudos to Ryuju and his coach Nagakubo. :clap:

- Elladj! :luv17: I agree with Heleng. He now skates like a new skater to me. Holding edges longer, soft knees, so smooth on ice! Who taught him? :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I changed my mind about Yuzu's SP. This time it looked much better, with lots of energy. He enjoyed it and he made me enjoy it too.
I'm still not sure if purple is even worse than white or not :laugh:

p.s. there's so much ease in that 3A...after watching Yuzu for a long time this still amazes me

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Glad to see Balde get some love. He has a really interesting story and he's an older skater who didn't have a lot of success in his late teens and early twenties so it's nice to see him skate well. Is he going to challenge for medals at the WC? Probably not but I still like and appreciate his skating.

Hanyu is ahead by a country mile and he deserves to be. Even I, in a nearly sleep induced coma could see he was heads and tails above anyone else. I go back to what I've said since 2012: A clean Hanyu beats everyone else.

I am sort of troubled by any lack of judge independence and I'm not sure anyone who is high up in a federation should be a judge at a GP or WC event. I'd say bias is highly likely if the federation is signing your paycheck. We must avoid even the hint of impropriety. I'd rather have the people who judge be separate from the skating federation of the country they represent.

That said I'm fine with the placements. Seems correct to me. Hanyu firmly in first and everyone else kind of bunched up behind him? I'm not a huge person for remembering scores but of Hanyu's performances with a fall in the SP are these scores in line with the other ones like it?

Favourite performances: Hanyu, Balde, Brown and Tanaka. Good luck in the free skate, gentlemen.

I was getting grumpy last night toward the end. Too much caffeine and sugar makes me grouchy. The GPF has my kind of schedule. The time is doing me in.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just watched Yuzuru - now, that's the proper rockstar attitude! While I think that 'Parisian walkaways' was kind of discovery and 'showy' program of his entertainment and 'how to rock the crowd' abilities, this Prince SP is a firm confirmation of that - there is a bit of odd paradox feel for me because I'm somewhat associating Yuzuru with more lyrical, 'contemplative' or dramatic programs as better for him, but it never fails to amaze me how easy he's pulling off energetic, cheeky stuff like that.

He is really commanding in that SP, the program feels very 'musical' for me, I very much like the choreography. This time watching I have to say that he's got some friggin' attack on those jumps, I was like :eeking: especially this 3A, I feel and see his improvement in jumping technique department and his strive to perfect them.

My only two wishes would be: to be even more engaged within performance (I understand that he wants to probably establish jumps first) and to change the costume - the mix of this lavender (!?) and this brocade 'pattern/print' is not working for me, I envisioned him in black with purple/gold embelishment, I think it would be the best. Anyway - great job for saving so-so men's competition!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Am i the only one who thinks that Elladj looks a better version of Jason?

What do you specifically mean by that? Skating skills? Charisma? Performance ability? Better jumps?

Or that he has a better ponytail? :laugh:

From my viewpoint, I think both are extroverted performers who really draw a lot of energy from the audience, so I can see why the comparison is there. I'd say that Elladj, at this point, is way more inconsistent than Jason and it shows in the scores/results.

Of course, it's always de gustibus on who you prefer and such...

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen USA
Le Corsaire
In a black lacy shirt which is a much more mature look on him.

4Lz< fall
4F<-3T
FSSp
3A< step out maybe called fall?
CCSp
StSq - I like this, it's nice
CCoSp

I guess base value is going to pump him up here. Loved the step sequence, though.

Oh, is that Rafael? Did they kiss and makeup?

Well, we always know by your UR calls, who you like and who you don't. Nathan didn't get 3 URs, he got ... um.... none.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Hino's skating to Alexander Abt's music from 2001-2002, right? I've been thinking about it for the last couple minutes.

Barb

Record Breaker
I don´t understand why people complain about Yuzu´s costume. I am not his biggest fan but he has so nice legs and butt, this color let´s us to see more than usual :eek::, His best costume in my opinion :love:.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don´t understand why people complain about Yuzu´s costume. I am not his biggest fan but he has so nice legs and butt, this color let´s us to see more than usual :eek::, His best costume in my opinion :love:.

*lol* It's true. Yuzuru's assets are in plain view with that onepiece. I wonder about underwear....couldn't make out any lines. Thing is I always find myself staring at Shoma's bottom, and he still seems like a kid to me. Weird. Figure Skating costumes leave nothing to the imagination.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok People, I finally got a look at Nathan Chen. I tell you what, Adam, Max, and Jason, need to be on the look out for this kid. Even with a fall, he has one of the highest SP scores amongst the US Men and the potential to score much higher had he gone clean. He has improved by a mile and if he gets on the Podium here. Will he knock Jason out of the GPF?

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
Ok People, I finally got a look at Nathan Chen. I tell you what, Adam, Max, and Jason, need to be on the look out for this kid. Even with a fall, he one the highest SP score amongst the US Men. He has improved by a mile and if he gets on the Podium here. Will he knock Jason out of the GPF?

If Nathan finishes second, he will be in the GPF.
Jason is out only if he finishes below fourth.
If both of them are in, they knock Adam out of the GPF.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*lol* It's true. Yuzuru's assets are in plain view with that onepiece. I wonder about underwear....couldn't make out any lines. Thing is I always find myself staring at Shoma's bottom, and he still seems like a kid to me. Weird. Figure Skating costumes leave nothing to the imagination.

:laugh2: Glad to know there are many of us.