2016 NHK Trophy Men SP | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Men SP

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Nathan finishes second, he will be in the GPF.
Jason is out only if he finishes below fourth.
If both of them are in, they knock Adam out of the GPF.

I need to memorize that. I can't keep it all straight! :drama:

linkintank

Rinkside
He, Kolyada, was only credited with a tripe toe instead of a quad so he had to double the triple that was supposed to go in combination or else it would have been called an invalid element - like Chan did at last year's GPF.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hino's skating to Alexander Abt's music from 2001-2002, right? I've been thinking about it for the last couple minutes.

Yes, that's Sasha's SP from that season. Remember his super bling'd out costume from that year. He was really good that year.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Finally a chance to catch up.

Favorite first: hands down Yuzu. Omg what an amazing program this is turning out to be! :luv17: There were so many choreographic details, they matched the music so perfectly, Buttle and the music editor did outstanding job and Yuzu is finally keeping up! :thumbsup: The best were the 3A and its exit with a kick and the ummediate launch into the spin, the knee-slide which YEAH! :rock: and the last spin together with on-beat entry, the genreal spin choreography whuch was just superbly matched to the music, like that hand thrust at the Prince's sharp shout. Amazing job. The step sequence was super-fun and with some really cool touches, the 4S3T looked like old plain fun, and the preparation to the 4lo actually matched the music this time. I'm not surprised Yuzu got two 10s for music interpretation, he played the fun campy rockstar to a t.

And I liked the costume, lol. Can't have white? Go with the goddamn purple!

Second: Balde. I love the rendition of the Sound if Silence and Elladj's commitment to it is superb. That's how you do a (non campy) rock song.

Third: Jason Brown. My only criticism is the Sam Smith whiny falsetto (there are some singers with good falsetto but Sam Smith's is like nails on chalkboard), and the costume. I think this song needs something a bit more flowy, maybe more like the shirt Elladj's wore. But the choreo is great and Jason's interpretation is excellent. I especialky liked that knee-slide he did towards the end, and his trademark sideways biellman, which looked like nailed to the ice, amazing.

Nam: well, I know he was slow, and he fell but it was a fun program and he looked pretty good.

Bychenko: I would really love this program if he wore something different! This music has house/ club feel to it, a bit like Shoma Uno's SP music last year, but he's wearing a jazz/big band costume! The music's great, the choreo's great, his interpretatuon's pretty great too but the costume just takes away from it all! Jeez, steal a shiny T-shirt from Shoma Uno or go through Adam Rippon's wardrobe or something!

Nathan Chen: it's improving, he managed to display some of the music highlights, but in my opinion the music still overwhelmed him. In generall, I don't think big classical pieces suit him.

Kolyada: well, that was lackluster.

Vassiljevs: he's losing me. The only thing I digged was the sit spin and Stephane Lambiel in the K & C.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
It's hard to believe but the GPF slots are still wide open, apart from the one Hanyu's 99% likely to take.

Like, lookung how the guys skated today, there's no telling how they'll do tomorrow. Nathan Chen can as easily crash and burn as hold on to his 2nd position, Bychenko could end up second tomorrow or 8th, Jason's chances look grim but but who the heck knows how others will mess up tomorrow,if they don't step up Tanaka coukd cost them some points. Lol, what a mess.(A very enjoyable mess!)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's hard to believe but the GPF slots are still wide open, apart from the one Hanyu's 99% likely to take.

Like, lookung how the guys skated today, there's no telling how they'll do tomorrow. Nathan Chen can as easily crash and burn as hold on to his 2nd position, Bychenko could end up second tomorrow or 8th, Jason's chances look grim but but who the heck knows how others will mess up tomorrow,if they don't step up Tanaka coukd cost them some points. Lol, what a mess.(A very enjoyable mess!)

Not to mention there is just 6 points between 3rd (Tanaka) and 8th (Jason).

shyne

Final Flight

That's Men FS for you :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sigh. Obviously sad for Jason's scores:sad21: but he never loses his hold on the audience. Also happy for Elladj (how can you like one and not the other? Two peas from the skating pod) but as has been noted, Elladj is waaay more inconsistent, even including this SP. Over the course of the past two years, Elladj has taken me on way too much of a roller-coaster ride. Which is why I rewatch mostly his exhibitions, which are mah-velous!

And I completely agree with @Tavi that the endless accusations of bias, bias, bias are, just, well boring.:bed:

Of course, anyone is free to talk about whatever they want, but on one point they should be clear: there is no way in holy heck any fed or judge cares what a bunch of fans say on Internet boards, Twitter, or anywhere else. Saying that *Judge X from OtherPlace* is so clearly biased that they dared to rank MyWonderfulSkater on the same level as ClearlyInferiorSkater" will make no difference to the status, ranking or feelings of Judge X from OtherPlace.

But if it makes you feel better, so be it.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Yuzu was definitely great again. He's just incredible to watch. Don't particularly like the purple or the white costume, but...yeah, quite revealing. Just as well I don't fancy him in that way, I would have a sleepless night otherwise :laugh:
I think Nam found a programme that suits him. His body seemed to have filled out a bit and he looked a bit more mature. Still hoping he'll get his proper breakthrough some day.
Elladj is the right man to perform this version of Sound of Silence. I could watch him forever.
Very sorry for Mikhail again. I love that SP, but this season, he doesn't seem to be able to pull it off.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I finally had the chance to watch the event. I'm bummed about Jason being so far down, but he is such a performer, even when the jumps aren't working. I hope he can fight back in the FS, it would be amazing for him to make the Final.
I like Nathan's SP so much better than his FS. Too bad about those mistakes on the 3A and 4Lz but great for him to upgrade that 2A :yes:
Great that Keiji and Ryuju were clean at home! It will be interesting to see if Keiji can be a podium spoiler here :biggrin:
When I look at Elladj skate, I forget about the scores for a moment. His programs aren't ones to fight for the top of the podium on a technical POV, but he's also a wonderful performer and I really enjoyed that SP
Yuzuru, well, what can I say? He sold the program so well even with that fall, I'm glad he can deliver like this in front of a home crowd.

It was a bit of a rough night for the men, but I hope they left all their falls on the ice on the SP and everyone can have a better FS.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Yuzu did not disappoint, I was dazzled! Loved the lavender costume, his hair and his attitude! Faboulus! Disappointing skate for Jason but I still think he can medal. Enjoyed Balde's program he is quite the performer!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
10's were too high propably although it was for music interpretation and it was great for me, but I guess 9,5-9,75 would have been better. But at the same time those 8.5 for ss and transitions :palmf:

I thought that 4S3T should have been +3, and it was mostly +2 :think:

Enojyed a lot this performance. Waiting for clean quad loop today

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
- Balde was a big surprise to me and I really enjoyed his skating style and his great interpretation of music feels genuine to me. His PCS should have been a lot higher, IMO.
- I liked Hanyu´s new costume and his excellent interpretation of that horror of music, LOL....
- One of my sp favourites was of course Chen, this sp choreography fits him so wonderfully!

There might be a big flip-flop in placements in the freeskate, and it´s quite possible that Tanaka, Kolyada, Chen, Balde and Nguen will skate wonderfully, as there is no pressure for them (out of GPF anyway, except maybe Chen). The big pressure is on Bychenko and Brown. I would love Bychenko to qualify for GPF as he has had no help from his federation = no GP-events in Israel...

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
^^^

I think the pressure is even more Chen and because he's got a good chance of qualifying if he ends up second (assuming Hanyu has a decent skate). Seeing as he's second after SP, he's got the best chance out of all of them sans Hanyu, better chance than Jason.

Last edited: