2016 Rostelecom Cup Ladies FS | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup Ladies FS

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Speaking of Yuna... oh how I miss thee... I am sort of seeing her everywhere these days, I must going slightly mad. It happens everytime someone does some nice whole upper body movements particularly with the use of eloquent arms with great musicality, big 3lz3t in the beginning. Inna Bauer spread eagle into a 2A (Yes Hanyu!! Big Yuna fan). So many opening and closing pose. The way someone takes a bow, delayed triples perfect landed on the music notes. Elena's Imagine in a blue dress in Russia... sigh... etc etc..

I believe Zijun would be really pleased with the nice comments and comparison, but how I love she is striving for originality this year and wanting to take control. She has her uniqueness that can become her own brand, hope she has a good outing at the Cup of China and manage a good result. Not because of any home advantage (which historically she never had), but because she delivered and justifiably got the PCS she deserves. She used to be on Satoko and Rika level... and was even ahead of them once upon a time.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
It feels like she's been around for ages but after checking wikipedia, Li's not yet 20; time is still on her side. So she's coachless at the moment?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Speaking of Yuna... oh how I miss thee... I am sort of seeing her everywhere these days, I must going slightly mad. It happened when everytime someone does some nice whole upper body movements particularly with the use of eloquent arms with great musicality, big 3lz3t in the beginning. Inna Bauer spread eagle into a 2A (Yes Hanyu!! Big Yuna fan). So many opening and closing pose. The way someone takes a bow, delayed triples perfect landed on the music notes. Elena's Imagine in a blue dress in Russia... sigh... etc etc..

I believe Zijun would be really pleased with the nice comments and comparison, but how I love she is striving for originality this year and wanting to take control. She has her uniqueness that can become her own brand, hope she has a good outing at the Cup of China and manage a good result. Not because of any home advantage (which historically she never had), but because she delivered and justifiably got the PCS she deserves. She used to be on Satoko and Rika level... and was even ahead of them once upon a time.
Elena's Nessun Dorma also reminds me of Yuna's. cannot erase her image from my head, when that music is on.
Just like you, nowadays, I saw Yuna everywhere on every skater.:biggrin::sad21:
Zijun's red FS dress and her red hair string reminds me of Yuna's red scheherazade that one performance of 2009 worlds, I caught on TV accidently, and become a figure skating fan.
Speaking of these girls. I am pleased, I saw improvement from Anna and Elena. their upper body control and dance purpose really improved from before. Their musicality is also showing more now. That really is a great direction from them.Keep up the good work girls.
As for Zijun. her elegant arms, wrist, fingers (really one of a kind). that ending pose of FS, reminds me of the Dying swan. it is really tearing. even her slight movement of leg.
This FS music is a soulful and solemn song. Suggest to watch while wearing ear phone. you will feel more even if you dont know this song or its lyrics.
The highlight of Zijun's free is that she is really feeling it.
Choreo/music editing, I think it is a bit monotone. Could use more meaningful/creative and highlight moves at appropriate music position and music could also be edited more interesting. If choreo/music editing cannot be changed and as it is. then it will entirely up to Zijun to bring out the emotion journey, which would be very difficult. Also I was hoping to see a bit of Chinese classic dance style influence in this FS, just a little bit will do, but not so much.
Zijun's SP is a great contract to her FS. but it is also a quite typical Lori's taste. similar SP(violin style, choreo moves) has been seen from Carolina Kostner, Mao, HanYan and Boyang's programs. But Zijun did this SP quite well.

EDIT: Zijun did a correct edge LUTZ (deep outside edge), even if it is just a double. baby steps.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I didn't feel that Elena's Turandot has something to do with Yuna's EX program. The gorgeous pink dress is a misfit for Puccini's opera about a ruthless Chinese princess. I will reserve my assessment though because she clearly underperformed right after Julia's unfortunate circumstance. I was surprised that she is way taller than Anna who is also a tall skater among the current quad. I wonder whether Elena is as tall as Polina Tsurskaya.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I didn't feel that Elena's Turandot has something to do with Yuna's EX program. The gorgeous pink dress is a misfit for Puccini's opera about a ruthless Chinese princess. I will reserve my assessment though because she clearly underperformed right after Julia's unfortunate circumstance. I was surprised that she is way taller than Anna who is also a tall skater among the current quad. I wonder whether Elena is as tall as Polina Tsurskaya.
just Yuna's EX immediately jumps into my head once that music started. then I saw a couple of opening moves sorta similar... However as Elena's Turandot went on. there are indeed some jarring music editing/transition. As for Elena, I agree her makeup too dark and dress perhaps not as stunning as it should be.
But, Elena seems purposely practiced to control her arms and upper body movements with more music purpose and connection. from the outing of both her SP and FS. And I like that. Still a long way from a refined skater but she is heading there.

Meoima

Match Penalty
No, I am sorry that is not what I meant. Gee I hope this is not an uber Hanyu situation. I meant both Yulia and Hanyu and well everyone all skaters need to be careful.I know it is hard with adrenline, desire to win or go to the GP Final and in the case of Yulia probably issues with sponsors, state funding and all. I am just saying skaters who are of course thinking in the moment need to think of the long term effects- future injury, reputation and even what message is this sending to the public. We need to get out of the mindset dramaticcomebacks or playing through pain or whatever makes you a hero or shows courage. Often it shows courage to know when to stop. its like people who say they love their pet so much that they don't want to euthanize it. But the more loving thing might be to euthanize it out of its misery. It's a mind set and I clearly said itis not blaming anyone including Hanyu. I am sorry, I know that there are uber's with certain skaters please don't take offence. It's actually a bit scarey like we will get hurt or beaten for trying to communicate something where we are not trying to say something bad about another skater but somehow we know some "uber fan " will attack.
What the hell you are talking about? :unsure:
It is not the issue of one or two athletes themselves, many top athletes are like that. They train the whole year just to perfom, of course they want to finish their performance. To give up is not how they have been taught. The main issue is, who has the absolute say about whether an athele should stop competing while injured or not? The fed? The coach? The judge? The doctor?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What the hell you are talking about? :unsure:
It is not the issue of one or two athletes themselves, many top athletes are like that. They train the whole year just to perfom, of course they want to finish their performance. To give up is not how they have been taught. The main issue is, who has the absolute say about whether an athele should stop competing while injured or not? The fed? The coach? The judge? The doctor?

Oh I give up. Please take a chill pill. Of course it has a lot to do with who controls the final decision but that is also affected by perception, societal pressures. There was no "blame" on anyone. It was not meant to be a personal attack. But a highly competitive athelte need to make prudent decisions that is part of the sport and there is a tendency like in hockey fights to let the heart take over the head. I think that is the point I am trying to say and it helps if we start encouraging an more nurturing society that appreciates sound decisions rather than pure strength. That takes our leading athletes and stars to set examples. Regardless the real point is I hope we see Julia overcome this disaster and challenge.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Speaking of Yuna... oh how I miss thee... I am sort of seeing her everywhere these days, I must going slightly mad. It happens everytime someone does some nice whole upper body movements particularly with the use of eloquent arms with great musicality, big 3lz3t in the beginning. Inna Bauer spread eagle into a 2A (Yes Hanyu!! Big Yuna fan). So many opening and closing pose. The way someone takes a bow, delayed triples perfect landed on the music notes. Elena's Imagine in a blue dress in Russia... sigh... etc etc..

Here's the thing about Zijun Li's PCS: her style is unique, but PCS contains various elements and to deserve an higher second mark she will need something more in terms of speed/ice coverage, stamina, and maybe even better skating skills (i feel like her steps sequences are alwars a little empty).

She was good at junior because the second mark wasn't so important there, especially few years ago, and under Mingzhu's coaching she was stronger (but at a cost)

Satoko's marks were pushed after Mao's retirement because Japan needed a new star to lead the federation, and then consistency helped her a lot.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I would like to clear up that rumor that Mishin is be Zijun's coach - there's no reliable source saying so. Yes, Mishin gave her some tips here and there at the open practices at CoR, but he didn't coach her prior to that. Zijun wrote, that she left china 2 days before the start of CoR. She's been getting tips from Mishin for only the last couple of days. That's not going to make him her coach ;)

I don't know where this rumor came up. :confused: Mishin is not going to coach Li, but only to help her prepare for COC during her stay in Russia. Carolina is only a rare exception.

Meoima

Match Penalty
What Zijun lacks is STAMINA, STAMINA, STAMINA and on. She is very lovely, her jumps are not bad, beautiful spin, very elegant. But she has to skate faster, not sleepwalking through her LP. She can skate well the SP. The issue is she can not keep up her speed in the free. Maybe she should visist the gym more often. Poor girl, she is really lovely.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Finally got to watch this...

1. Anna Pogorilaya: Anna is off to a good GP start! An easy win for her at Rostelecom Cup with a near-clean performance (there were some iffy jumps) is a great outing by her. It's nice to see that Anna is skating with a lot more confidence right now ever since Worlds. I hope this keeps up for her next events too.
2. Elena Radionova: I'm guessing that the delay with Yulia could be what rattled her, since her skate was actually a bit shocking to me. Elena's jumps may have been generally scratchy for a long time, but she manages to hang onto them. It's hard to see what kind of form Elena is really in right now because she withdrew from the test skates and had to skate after a delay here, but hopefully we'll be seeing it at COC.
3. Courtney Hicks: While I preferred to have Zijun on the podium instead, Courtney once again used an opportunity well in the GP to drive through and grab that bronze medal! Her programs are fierce and they create a big impact which I really like. Now, she'll just need to control those jumps a bit more to be one of the top U.S. ladies. Also, it was very nice of her to be cheering for Yulia on twitter. :2thumbs:
4. Zijun Li: A solid performance from Zijun, and I think she did have a case for the podium. But at the same time, I understand why Courtney was able to get ahead of her: Courtney had more power and a bigger presence on the ice. Even as a big Zijun fan, I have to admit that while her artistry is beautiful to watch, she needs to put more passion and energy into the performance. And gaining more stamina is one of the ways to do that. The music itself was nice and I loved the dress! :love: This was a great competition for her and I hope she prepares well for COC!
5. Elizabet Tursynbaeva: The music is incredible and I think the program has potential. Potential, because her skating is still too rushed so it's hard to watch the choreography. But I think it'll grow during the season and will be a program I'll be having high hopes for in all of her outings. Anyway, I'm glad to see that other than the rushing, Elizabet has really improved in her overall skating. The jumps are still not the best they could be but they're more stable than before, and her presentation seems to be steadily improving.

And as for Yulia...:eekn::sad14::(:sad21::cry: As soon as I saw her score on the results page, I immediately thought of Elizabet's SP at Junior Worlds this year, and so I was prepared to be devastated even before watching her...

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am happy for Hicks because she has been waiting in the wings for a while it seems:) But I felt despite stamina issue I would have Li in third. I love her 'lyrical' declicate quality with a bit of zest - my words. Good For Anna - she owned her skate. I fear the puberty monster is attacking Rad but she is truly a fighter but it is messing around with her rotations and landings. She is so so tall and yet she fights on - good for her. ET still seems to have some junior like spindly coltish tendencies. I thought she may have developed faster but I still see her a possible threat and she is a sure thing for her nation to qualify for worlds. At least she isn't competing in the US, Japan or Russia where qualifying is an inssue. I wonder who peole think is a greater threat Hicks or Bell or Edmunds or Nagasu or Chen?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hm,

I have to admit that I am kind of angry. You don´t send your skater on ice, if she has a knee problem and as a referee you have to stop the competition and take her off. What did it good to her, to skate after her knee snapped. Ligament injuries can be career threatening, you just can´t be so reckless as someone who has to take care of these young ladies.

It was also clear to me, that she did not want to skate further, it also didn´t help to say it´s after the three minute mark and soon over, as a simple jump or spin or just some weight on it, can lead to severe damage. I so hope it´s just a stretched ligament and not a ruptured one.

This is the same recklessness that I saw at Sochi and in the end it cost her a singles medal. Why always Yulia, she has so much talent but for some reason nobody who takes care of her. Sorry for being so negative, but I don´t understand why they send her out in the first place and then again, after she was clearly unable to continue.

It was also unfair to Elena who was ready and saw all the Drama, not a good way to handle that situation and it was impressive how Anna kept her cool in the end, so congratz to her and that beast of a program.

Get well soon Yulia and next time, just walk off ice - it´s not worth it, no matter what people tell you, it´s your body and your future that´s at stake.

Alex, you are the most intellegent person here. I just hope the rumors are correct and Urmanov didnt force her to go back out and jump....

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I read that she wanted to finish even though she was hurt....and that Alexei Urmanov her coach didn't want her to but he didn't really put his foot down with her and let her finish anyway. I think the coach really should have put his foot down as her injury could be more serious to continue like that....which was evident when she fell again. Sad.

I hope you are right and it isnt just spin control. If you are, then I have to take Urmanov's pic down from my dart board....
I agree with you that the coach should have said to her..."How bad do you want to spend the night in the emergency room and mess up you leg even more for Nats?"
I certainly wouldnt want my favorite skaters to continue...Next time everyone chant, "We LOVE you! Leave the ICE!

Last edited:

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Medvedeva still has a body like a child- it hasn't changed yet. This is the reality, is it so hard to accept that these things are going to happen, sooner or later? Every skater is going through this period, why should Med be an exception? You have to be realistic

I am sorry, but this is clearly not the case. Her body resembles Gracie's and Ashley's more than it does the junior skaters.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
What Zijun lacks is STAMINA, STAMINA, STAMINA and on. She is very lovely, her jumps are not bad, beautiful spin, very elegant. But she has to skate faster, not sleepwalking through her LP. She can skate well the SP. The issue is she can not keep up her speed in the free. Maybe she should visist the gym more often. Poor girl, she is really lovely.

Stamina can be fixed by good coaching, and it's sad to see such talent languishing away. She's SUCH a lovely skater.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

True true true... as I have been saying it repeatedly last year, but let's not exaggerate (come on... sleep walking?!). Let's give credit where credit is due.

She has shown good improvement in this stamina area compare to last 2 years and should be commended. In fact her improvements in all aspects is really encouraging to see. There are no easy fixes, but the point is she is fixing them. The fact is there are skaters out there certain judges are willing to over look their flaws, but only small federation skaters would need to be perfect or almost perfect consistently to get any proper look.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
True true true... as I have been saying it repeatedly last year, but let's not exaggerate (come on... sleep walking?!). Let's give credit where credit is due.
She has shown good improvement in this stamina area compare to last 2 years and should be commended. In fact her improvements in all aspects is really encouraging to see. There are no easy fixes, but the point is she is fixing them. The fact is there are skaters out there certain judges are willing to look their flaws, but only small federation skaters would need to be perfect or almost perfect consistently to get any proper look.
At some point I wonder if Zijun has breathing issue? Maybe that's why she is slow during free skate.

miki88

Medalist
At some point I wonder if Zijun has breathing issue? Maybe that's why she is slow during free skate.

Maybe she doesn't do enough runthroughs in practice? I don't think we should blame it all on the coach. Lu Chen had the same coach and she was fast.