2016 Skate America Men's SP | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Men's SP

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I'm confused, is this because of the sleeveless shirt? Are they not allowed? And what does it mean getting a "costume violation" if it does not affect the score?
thanks!

They are and only one judge hit costume violation out of all of them so that is why no deductions. I guess that one judge forgot the rules ... the hotness got to him :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
And because I do need to rant about the judges a bit: in this sense, Boyang has way more TR than Shoma. Even if Shoma still has better quality, scoring them with 6.5-7.75 compared to 8-9(!) is not fair, IMO.
Yes, Boyang has wayyy more transitions than Shoma now. And yet the scores do not reflect that.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'm confused, is this because of the sleeveless shirt? Are they not allowed? And what does it mean getting a "costume violation" if it does not affect the score?
thanks!

I suspect it was more due to the separation between the shirt and pants showing hints of midriff. max had the same thing and got flagge then fixed it

MeltedIce

On the Ice
:thank: Yatagarasu

They are and only one judge hit costume violation out of all of them so that is why no deductions. I guess that one judge forgot the rules ... the hotness got to him :biggrin:

and to StitchMonkey, I didn't notice Adam midriff, where was I looking?? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yeah...it is impressive that he does this jump, but the take off and landing is not pretty. Yuzuru fans, doesn't Yuzuru do 4F now?

Yuzu is doing a 4Lo - maybe you mean Nathan Chen?

And Yuzu fixed his 3F edge, but I'd guess it would be more of a 4Lip. But hey, nobody landed that yet, maybe he could go for it :biggrin:

Fayruza

Match Penalty

And Yuzu fixed his 3F edge, but I'd guess it would be more of a 4Lip. But hey, nobody landed that yet, maybe he could go for it :biggrin:

NOOOO, I'd prefer to see 4Lz first. :biggrin:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

Wasn't there some talk late in the summer he tried a 4F? I wasn't paying attention too closely but I vaguely remember talk about that.

Idontsk8

On the Ice
Maybe it was the same one :drama: :biggrin:

My emission was ESP Portugal, they are huge fan-ladies of both Yuzuru and Shoma. Yours?

I'm curious now, why did Adam get a costume violation mention? I liked it, quite on par with the chosen song. Who should have had a costume violation (jk) was Kovtun, that was a very bad costume, looked like mismatched pajamas. Boyang's just funny and iconic :p

chairmanmao

Final Flight
On second thought I take back what I said on Brown, despite the 2-footed UR quad I am more than pleased with the quality of his choreography and interpretation. Very sophisticated performance I must say. Most enjoyable SP I've watched since Farris' SP last year which was eeriely similar to this.

On the other hand I am disappointed to see another bar routine on the ice. I'm not surprised Rippon is good friends with Wagner.

Meoima

Match Penalty
His flip edge is ok now. With this kind of technique without pre-rotation, I don't think Yuzuru will do 4F.

Back to the men today, I enjoy Adam and Jason the most. And I like Boyang's new SP. He really has tries hard to improve transitions and skating skills.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Haven't read this thread yet but saw a few people complaining that Jason was overscored and he shouldn't be so close to Shoma. Gotta say my personal opinion seeing both live is to disagree. Shoma had a lot of little errors, and he kind of faded in the footwork. I like him, but he didn't grab my attention. Jason did, and aside from the fall and the error on the spin, the program was clean and beautiful.

By the way, for those bemoaning the fact he hasn't yet landed a quad in competition, he landed a great 4T-2T right before he was announced.

In case you can't tell, the place is almost full and the audience is really loud and enthusiastic.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Wasn't there some talk late in the summer he tried a 4F? I wasn't paying attention too closely but I vaguely remember talk about that.

There was. But I think the assumption that it was a 4T - 4F confusion is quite common. I'd definitely not expect him to go for that - if at all, the 4Lz is next I guess.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
On second thought I take back what I said on Brown, despite the 2-footed UR quad I am more than pleased with the quality of his choreography and interpretation. Very sophisticated performance I must say. Most enjoyable SP I've watched since Farris' SP last year which was eeriely similar to this.

On the other hand I am disappointed to see another bar routine on the ice. I'm not surprised Rippon is good friends with Wagner.

Ashley's and Adam's short programs strike me as quite similar.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
There was. But I think the assumption that it was a 4T - 4F confusion is quite common. I'd definitely not expect him to go for that - if at all, the 4Lz is next I guess.

I definitely don't expect him to go for that either but I wasn't sure if I was remembering that one well, I think about simply trying it in training iirc. Thank you!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Haven't read this thread yet but saw a few people complaining that Jason was overscored and he shouldn't be so close to Shoma. Gotta say my personal opinion seeing both live is to disagree. Shoma had a lot of little errors, and he kind of faded in the footwork. I like him, but he didn't grab my attention. Jason did, and aside from the fall and the error on the spin, the program was clean and beautiful.
In fact I think Shoma was overscored in PCS compared to Jason, I mean... no one counts the transitions they did?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
In fact I think Shoma was overscored in PCS compared to Jason, I mean... no one counts the transitions they did?

I'd agree. IMO, Jason didn't get an UR call he should have gotten, and maybe you can argue with some of his GOE (as you can with others too) but his PCS were very rightfully the highest, IMO. Most complex program out there, best performance.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Most enjoyable SP I've watched since Farris' SP last year which was eeriely similar to this.

Ah, so I'm not the only one. The first time I saw this SP for Jason I thought, "This is a Joshua SP." Of course, Jason now makes it his own.

He probably misses his friend as much as we do. :sad21: