2016 Skate America Men's SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Men's SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
funny... i didn't see Nam's spin problem at all? they weren't good but I never thought he would have lost one completely... I noticed Jason's issue ... and also thought his 4T was UR. I will have to watch again or drink as much as the tech panel ;)

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I actually think it will be fantastic once he skate it fully commited

I loved it, especially when he was skating to it during the commercial bts. Maybe he should get a red costume. :love:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yeah...it is impressive that he does this jump, but the take off and landing is not pretty. Yuzuru fans, doesn't Yuzuru do 4F now?
:biggrin: I doubt that Yuzuru can do 4F given that he never pre-rotate 270 degrees in his Flip or Lutz.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
So only Nam and Adam skated clean, the clean-skate rate is 20% in the men SP.

And out of the 30 jumping passes in this SP event, 15 of which are clean (given positive GOE), the clean-jump rate is 50%.

Welcome to men figure skating in 2016!

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Yuzuru's SP is quite horrible this year

Maybe, maybe not (its all personal opinion ;)) but Yuzuru is YUZURU. His actual programs don't matter anymore. He has the reputation and a spot in history. The judges won't consider dumping him, especially for a fellow countryman, unless he completely unravels to the point of craziness. Shoma will have to do something extra extraordinary for him to challenge

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
funny... i didn't see Nam's spin problem at all? they weren't good but I never thought he would have lost one completely...

I know it was that sit spin he lost, and British Eurosport guy was talking about how he was working hard to get the rotations he needed. I don't know enough about the rules to know what technical reasons call for a spin to be invalidated aside from obviously missing it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks kermit ;) I guess he was wobbly too on his sit position... Patrick lost a spin once being wobbly on his camel position...
I know it was that sit spin he lost, and British Eurosport guy was talking about how he was working hard to get the rotations he needed. I don't know enough about the rules to know what technical reasons call for a spin to be invalidated aside from obviously missing it.

MeltedIce

On the Ice
I'm confused, is this because of the sleeveless shirt? Are they not allowed? And what does it mean getting a "costume violation" if it does not affect the score?
thanks!

Uh oh, Adam got a costume violation (oops), no point deduction though

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Shoma's 4F takeoff has not improved at all: http://i.giphy.com/3o7TKJs5F0reh3xR0A.gif

I was really hoping he would improve on that. And the landing was really, really iffy too :(

To be honest, Shoma is still the cutest guy and a great performer, but I'm really disappointed with this SP. He has improved since last season overall, but all the main weaknesses are still there: bad jumping technique, very wild landings, way too much crossovers & two-footed skating and basically nothing but void between the technical elements. Again, his skating is beautiful overall and he delivers the music well, but I would have really hoped for more improvement.

Other side of the spectrum - Boyang is really, really going for it. Messy as his jumps were, the program is so much more complex than last year, there is so much more going on, more commitment, better edges, better flow, better speed... he might take a while until he gets this program out clean, but the guy is going full in. No resting on anything. That makes me really, really respect him. (Now hopefully his LP can live up to this too... :laugh: )

And because I do need to rant about the judges a bit: in this sense, Boyang has way more TR than Shoma. Even if Shoma still has better quality, scoring them with 6.5-7.75 compared to 8-9(!) is not fair, IMO.