2016 Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Free Dance

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe D/W do need to come back also and show V/M how it's done especially with the twizzles. Except for the Shibs none of the top teams come close to D/W when it comes to twizzles.

Or not. D and W are wonderful show skaters. Let them be. Besides let the French win their gold; we have had too many teams come back "just" for olympic glory. In the old days once you were pro you were pro. Let your yes be yes and your no be no. I know some will say it should be up to each team or skater but we don't need to relive the past sorry V and M. But at least V and M are making a real try not some attempt just 10 mos before the olympics. Yes, I do believe D and W technically could still win; I never was sold on them as artists though and I really enjoy them in shows. Before D and W bring back I and K - we need to see what they really could or can do. :luv17:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
5 years? The fake kid should be at least 7 years old now.

It's like a soap opera you can change the age just like that. Or better yet you can become a doctor or lawyer in like a year or two with no presrequisites and seemingly spend most of your time in bed!.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
When did this happen?

The only displeasure from the audience I noticed, was on a few occasions over the last couple days when the judges were too slow posting scores. I just checked my DVR recordings, and still only hear cheering for both teams when their scores came up. :scratch2:

Sorry, but I was told by one of my skating friends that was there that there was booing when C/B's scores came up , so I rewatched icenetwork and yes, I hear booing. Then I went to the NBC coverage today and it looks like NBC did some careful editing so that the abreviated kiss and cry section for C/B is presented so that the booing period is past....but that could have been done accidently, too. No matter. My friend there heard the boos and I can here them on icenetwork. We have no idea who booed or how many but it certainly is not classy at all. I will ask my friend if he thought this was just a few people or more than a few....

rvi5

On the Ice
Sorry, but I was told by one of my skating friends that was there that there was booing when C/B's scores came up , so I rewatched icenetwork and yes, I hear booing. Then I went to the NBC coverage today and it looks like NBC did some careful editing so that the abreviated kiss and cry section for C/B is presented so that the booing period is past....but that could have been done accidently, too. No matter. My friend there heard the boos and I can here them on icenetwork. We have no idea who booed or how many but it certainly is not classy at all. I will ask my friend if he thought this was just a few people or more than a few....

I reviewed the TSN broadcast again on my TV with the volume turned way up, but still did not hear booing. Just loud cheering from what seemed like the majority of the audience. The recording was continuous without editing breaks. If there was booing, it must have been well away from the K&C where the TSN/CTV broadcast platform was also located. That is the end of the rink where I was sitting. Does Ice Network access separate microphone feeds elsewhere?

The order of skate was V/M, G/P, and finally C/B. The audience would have already known V/M's score, why would they boo? The only people with cause to boo would be the C/B fans who believed C/B should have won. Why is it assumed to be V/M fans? Looking back at the accusing post, that slant to things appears to be the "assumption" of dcnative.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The order of skate was V/M, G/P, and finally C/B. The audience would have already known V/M's score, why would they boo? The only people with cause to boo would be the C/B fans who believed C/B should have won. Why is it assumed to be V/M fans? Looking back at the accusing post, that slant to things appears to be the "assumption" of dcnative.

I was in the arena and heard the booing. In my experience, it is difficult to gauge the true volume of a crowd over a broadcast recording -- the sound of 'average' applause versus eardrum deafening cheering is night & day when sitting in the arena, but often sounds similar when watching via a TV or computer. Reaction to C/B scores was delayed & tepid at best... that's why it was easy for me to hear the booing. Reaction to V/M & G/P scores was deafening.

If you can't think of reasons why someone might boo, I would invite you to read the last 20 pages of this thread following the final results of this competition. Then, imagine sitting in the middle of a decidedly pro-Canadian audience, and you'll find your answer. (Did anyone say C/B was underscored? Or that they should have won SC? Or were people saying something else?)

rvi5

On the Ice
If you can't think of reasons why someone might boo, I would invite you to read the last 20 pages of this thread following the final results of this competition. Then, imagine sitting in the middle of a decidedly pro-Canadian audience, and you'll find your answer. (Did anyone say C/B was underscored? Or that they should have won SC? Or were people saying something else?)
So what you are saying is the booing was not for the reason previously assumed by dcnative, but because some people in the audience didn't like C/B's free dance and were protesting because they thought the scores were too high?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Watching on IceNetwork, I definitely heard booing as well. I did find it funny when a poster tried to argue with me that I didn't hear what I heard on another forum. I understand it's not pleasant to hear, and I get that there may be a chance that I misheard it, but I'm pretty sure I know booing when I hear it and I'm not quick to make that sort of statement without being sure.

The way the rankings are posted on IN and in the arena, they show the FD standings first before they show the overall standings. That may explain C/B utter happiness because they saw "1" next to their names. Then they seemed to calm down a bit when the overall standing showed "2". Of course, they could just be really happy with being second and scoring a great 112+ FD score and winning that portion.

With that in mind, I think there are three possibilities:

1) Some members in the crowd were booing the fact that C/B were number "1" and beat the two Canadian teams before they saw they were second overall.

2) Some members in the crowd were booing the fact that C/B lost the competition and felt as though C/B should have won considering V/M's performance.

3) Some members in the crowd were booing because they thought G/P should have placed second overall (although that would have been a big ask considering how far behind they were after the SD) or at least beaten C/B in the FD.

Or any combination of the 3.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If they are going to skate the way they did tonight, they have no business beating P/C. In fact, I doubt they will even if clean with those programmes. Their time has passed. I wish they just give the way for talented new generation like G/P.

LOL, World-leading SD score, a Grand Prix win over the reigning World bronze medalists, and a higher score than the reigning World silver medalists at Skate America. Yeah, their time has totally passed. :laugh:

And, wow, you actually complimented G/P?!!? You do realize they're Canadian, right? :sarcasm: :rolleye:

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
So what you are saying is the booing was not for the reason previously assumed by dcnative, but because some people in the audience didn't like C/B's free dance and were protesting because they thought the scores were too high?

Unless one of the booers jumps in to clarify their position, we can never be sure. C/B looked extremely happy with their scores and it would have been out of place for their fans to start booing during that moment.

I did not hear any 'loud' fans for either of the American dance teams, so seems odd they would suddenly materialize at that exact moment.

Whatever the reason, the booing was uncalled for.

lyndichee

Medalist
Unless one of the booers jumps in to clarify their position, we can never be sure. C/B looked extremely happy with their scores and it would have been out of place for their fans to start booing during that moment.

I did not hear any 'loud' fans for either of the American dance teams, so seems odd they would suddenly materialize at that exact moment.

I think we sat on opposite sides of the rink because I didn't hear the booing. I am so disappointed to hear that. C/B did a good job, although not my taste I like how fresh and different they seemed in contrast to others. Plus I was too busy paying attention to how happy and cute Madison was.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I have a stereo hooked up to my desk top cause I like listening to the music...I can clearly hear boos starting at 7 min 51 seconds on this youtube and continueing intermittantly till 7 min 58 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8l6RYZ1mJs

dcnative

On the Ice
I reviewed the TSN broadcast again on my TV with the volume turned way up, but still did not hear booing. Just loud cheering from what seemed like the majority of the audience. The recording was continuous without editing breaks. If there was booing, it must have been well away from the K&C where the TSN/CTV broadcast platform was also located. That is the end of the rink where I was sitting. Does Ice Network access separate microphone feeds elsewhere?

I stated in my original post why I thought it was V/M fans that were doing the booing. Remember, nothing posted here is going to have any impact on what happens on the ice, nor how what happens on the ice is subsequently judged. None of my opinions nor yours. And we don't have to agree for that to change.

dcnative

On the Ice
Watching on IceNetwork, I definitely heard booing as well. I did find it funny when a poster tried to argue with me that I didn't hear what I heard on another forum. I understand it's not pleasant to hear, and I get that there may be a chance that I misheard it, but I'm pretty sure I know booing when I hear it and I'm not quick to make that sort of statement without being sure.

The way the rankings are posted on IN and in the arena, they show the FD standings first before they show the overall standings. That may explain C/B utter happiness because they saw "1" next to their names. Then they seemed to calm down a bit when the overall standing showed "2". Of course, they could just be really happy with being second and scoring a great 112+ FD score and winning that portion.

With that in mind, I think there are three possibilities:

1) Some members in the crowd were booing the fact that C/B were number "1" and beat the two Canadian teams before they saw they were second overall.

2) Some members in the crowd were booing the fact that C/B lost the competition and felt as though C/B should have won considering V/M's performance.

3) Some members in the crowd were booing because they thought G/P should have placed second overall (although that would have been a big ask considering how far behind they were after the SD) or at least beaten C/B in the FD.

Or any combination of the 3.

I was really surprised to hear it; especially in Canada, where they are such supporters of figure skating.

robredo40

On the Ice
there is no way chock and bates deserved to win this event the only reason they were this close was because of Rettstat their PCS were lower than C&L and basically tied with Gilles and Poirier.

Carshalton

Rinkside
Given that you probably only hear the booing in your close proximity, I heard all cheers except for two Americans behind me (I am presuming nationality on the basis of their American flag and baseball caps). They booed after the scores came up and stated emphatically that the score was too low. Once the final standings appeared, they offered the opinion that C&B had been held back so "Canada's darlings" could win. I stuffed the remainder of my hot dog in my mouth to ensure my silence.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Once the final standings appeared, they offered the opinion that C&B had been held back so "Canada's darlings" could win. I stuffed the remainder of my hot dog in my mouth to ensure my silence.

So sorry that happened to you. Those arena hot dogs were awful!

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I almost guarantee that Piper & Paul will advance ahead of Kaitlyn & Andrew this year.

You cannot say this until we've seen W/P programmes.We haven't a clue what the dances or how well trained they are yet.W/P have better SS than them so we'll see.They could look very different this year.Same for P/C.