2016 Trophée de France Ladies SP | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2016 Trophée de France Ladies SP

whatif

Medalist
Medvedeva's score was justified. The camerawork was excellent this time- no urs, jumps clean as a whistle. Loving all the haters seething.:)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Rewatched Wakaba again! Powerful, controlled, thoughtful, immersive, well expressed. Very impressive debut! With she and Marin.. Japan is safe for the future.

Lovely skate with Sotskova as well, Carolina proportions, bright next generation. She tends to rush through all her elements with no breathing space for expressions, but has the goods blocks to build upon.

Gaby... wow, haven't seen her skate strong as this. Between she, Alaine, and Osmond we may see the resurgence of Canadian ladies. Love how they all have their own style.

Love Lecavalier's unique skate, how artistic, original, how french. Not really seen her before but how beautiful, fresh and contemporary it is. Wild and free, one with the music. PCS should be higher, lack of reputation perhaps.

Sometimes I think judges confuses charm and star quality with interpretation. Evegnia has the star quality, but the fact this is young amateur theatrics moonlighting as good choreography or interpretation is insulting to say the least. So much time wasting in the first half is blatantly abusing the 'rule' trends. Should have received a deduction for time wasting for half way bonus, little actual skating in the first half, lack of coverage, imbalanced choreography and hardly move from a stationary points but hey what do I know. 78 for this? lol... She would win in a pageantry, but thankfully Gaby reminded us this is still a sport, where power, strength, speed variance, control, maturity in a ladies competition matters and appreciated.

This perhaps is perhaps the subjective part of the sport. While there are others who prefer to see women like little pretty girls, there are those of us who have preference to all mighty powerful wonderwomen that are capable of demonstrate power, strength, speed, gravitas, risk taking, elegance, grace, sense of self, genuine artistic expressions and musicality; to take ownership and committment to realise a program, and not someone's instructions in this artistic sport. Figure skating performance should be as much about skills competence as well as genuine self expressions and learnt confidence than demonstration aiming to please. I just don't see it in our current champion 'yet' due to her age and maturity, as such, the distance between her score to the rest of the field who are able to demonstrate these qualities is puzzling.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Agree. This overscoring is the worst EVER. There was no one in figure skating history who has been overscored like Evgenia. This is indeed sickening.

The men figure skating.

Javi, Yuzuru, Chan, and now even Shoma is a battle of inflation and overscoring.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The men figure skating.

Javi, Yuzuru, Chan, and now even Shoma is a battle of inflation and overscoring.

Yes...Shoma is to me what Evgenia is to her detractors, I think. Plenty of flaws in his skating that routinely get a pass and now that he's a judges' pet, it's only getting worse. At least Javi, Yuzuru and Chan have earned their stripes, so to speak, although I would prefer to never see reputation-based PCS. Of course, I am an Evgenia fan and I think she doesn't get enough credit for the things she does well - her remarkable mental strength and consistency, at the very least. But I think it's ok if people want to complain about score inflation...however, there also seems to be an awful lot of very petty, nitpicky criticism and downright ugly comments wrt Evgenia that I never see directed at the men.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
What a great SP this was!! Top 5 was really delivering world championship quality performances. Hope to see the same success from all the ladies in the free tonight.

I was quite liking Gabrielle since I watched her performances last season at the Worlds. But I've never seen her as a diva like that :love: She was the one I enjoyed watching the most, the winner of SP in my heart! Big jumps, quality in elements and skating, performing like a diva.. What else can you expect from her? Maybe consistency. Go Gabby!!

Evgenia is her usual self, successful as always but her programs were better last season. Unfortunately we will have to see her skate these programs perfectly and win everything as the season progress. Nothing against her personality or skills though, she is a real diamond :love: Hope she changes the choreographer next season or at least try something different for the choreography.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Laurine & So Youn :love: I guess Laurine has gained some confidnce after winning Golden Bear recently and finally showed what she can do :hap10:

Very happy for Gabby, finally getting the scores! and she so deserves the perfect GOE on 3T+3T!

Maria Sotskova as usual was clean, and she had interesting dress. Wakaba much better than I remember from Lombardia Trophy performance wise, too bad about Flip. I'm not sure if choosing to portray Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad was good for Alena, but her skate wasn't bad :)

8 Ladies with over 60 score is not bad competition :)

applemango

Rinkside
The scores make it so I have no motivation to watch. The M*****eva scoring is some kind of brain sickness. Between the barely rotated (and maybe not even) toeloop, the shallower skating skills, crap choreography, and immature/nonsensical interpretation...it's like McDonald's trying to tell you their food is the best. NOPE.

Way to mention her immature interpretation when your comment lacks maturity in every way.

Geez, the hate for a teenager is crazy in this forum.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Way to mention her immature interpretation when your comment lacks maturity in every way.

I don't know.... as long as it's the scores they complain about I wouldn't call it hate for a teenager. It's more of a Rage Against the Machine type of thing. :rock: Personally I'm just growing numb to scores in general. They are so inconsistent and unrelatable to what people got just a few years ago it's like they are being traded on the floor of the NYSE.

Last edited:

applemango

Rinkside
I don't know.... as long as it's the scores they complain about I wouldn't call it hate for a teenager. It's more of a Rage Against the Machine type of thing. :rock: Personally I'm just growing numb to scores in general. They are so inconsistent and unrelatable to what people got just a few years ago it's like they are being traded on the floor of the NYSE.

But the hate is more directed towards her, not the system nor the judges. I mean, the lack of mentioning of her name to the calling her the Mcdonalds of figure skating, to nitpicking everything about her especially to her gloves or tights, to the way her mouth is open. I don't know about losing points because her mouth is opened the whole performance. It's just BS at this point. Some comments are more intended as an insult to her, more than anything. Maybe it is against the judging but it definitely geared towards her.

Last edited:

skatefan22

Medalist
I believe this is the first time ever.

The next best GOE for a triple triple combo ever was also Gabby (3T-3T at Nebelhorn 2016 FS, receiving seven +3s and two +2s = +2.00 GOE)

The third best ever was:
Yuna (3Lz-3T at Worlds 2013 FS)
Kanako (3T-3T at 4CC 2014 FS)
Liza (3T-3T at GPF 2014 FS)
receiving six +3s and three +2s = +1.90 GOE

These all happened post 2010 GOE factoring implementation... prior to that, judges rarely gave out +3s, so even Yuna's best GOE was a +2.20 (without factoring) for her 3-3 combos.

Kanako...how good she used to be...:sad4:

Libra95

Spectator
Is there any information about Katia Gentelet the coach of Laurine, she is so charming and beautiful))

Biellmann

Match Penalty

Sure, but everything was fine when another russian teenager, Adelina Sotnikova, got and still get a lot more hate than Medvedeva, right? :rolleye:

applemango

Rinkside
Sure, but everything was fine when another russian teenager, Adelina Sotnikova, got and still get a lot more hate than Medvedeva, right? :rolleye:

Sorry, I wasn't here during the 2014 Olympics but I have a hunch of how bad that was. However, what made you think I thought it was alright, the insults and the bashing the girl probably got? The results itself is another matter.

Please don't make assumptions about me towards Adelina. She's not even part of this conversation. :scratch2:

Last edited:

enotic

Spectator
Still don't understand the obsession with bringing up Yuna's 2010 WR scores. Judges in ladies' singles back then never gave PCS higher than 8.75/9.00 and there was an additional spiral sequence counted so programs from then and now aren't even equivalent! Not to mention the addition of jump bonus in the short.

Also, let me remind everyone that in vancouver, everyone thought Yuna's WR were also very inflated (especially in the long where the judges went from barely giving people FS scores in the 120s to giving someone a 150). Hindsight bias changes everything. Four years from now we'll see another star skater beating Medvedeva's new scores and everyone will be lamenting about the "great injustice that someone who doesn't even do hop scotch / jump rope moves in her SP could possibly approach Queen Evgenia's World Records!!!"

Yuna's score may have been inflated back then, but there was no question in the fact that she was THE BEST skater who can combine both technical & artistic components, presenting the most beautiful/memorable programs. I admire Medmedeva's efforts, but do you REALLY think her skating in general is anywhere close to Yuna's technical & artistic sophistication? I doubt it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But the hate is more directed towards her, not the system nor the judges. I mean, the lack of mentioning of her name to the calling her the Mcdonalds of figure skating, to nitpicking everything about her especially to her gloves or tights, to the way her mouth is open. I don't know about losing points because her mouth is opened the whole performance. It's just BS at this point. Some comments are more intended as an insult to her, more than anything. Maybe it is against the judging but it definitely geared towards her.

Oh I understand your frustration very well. When I came here in 2013 it was open season on Julia and things were very personal and they called her Gumby or someone who flashes the judges for PCS. I guess many of us look for these goofy little analogies because essentially thread after thread and year after year were just discussing the same thing. I still think BoP is insulting the judges for the marks and not Zhenia for her win but by default it sort of implies that she is doing something wrong. I guess that's where YMMV.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Poor Mao. Knee injuries are difficult to heal. I have one which keeps recurring, and I am no athlete.
Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise that she won't be in the GPF. She needs to be healthy for nationals and hopefully worlds.
BTW did Nobuo Sato really say that? Did he elaborate?

After the Finlandia before Grand Prix, there was an article in Japanese, in which Nobuo said as follows:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/topics/ichiran/20161013-OYT8T50048.html
「本当のことを言えば、完全に休むのが一番いい。でも、そういうことができる年齢(26歳)でもないだろうし。休んだら、ほぼ終わりになっちゃうんじゃないかな、とも思う。そうなってくると『だましだましで』ということ。現状はそういう状態。本人も出たいという気持ちが強い。本人が納得できるように、本人の意志を大切にしている」

"To tell the truth, it is the best to take a complete rest. But she is not the age (26) to be able to do that. I even think if she will do that, it can finish her. If that’s the case, we have to try every trick to keep competing. This is the current situation. She has a strong desire to go out. I value her desire so that she can be convinced.”

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

It isn't hate for her, it's for the state of the sport and what the judges are doing. The skating simply is not interesting, and technically non-ideal at the same time, yet she is being held up as if it's the best ever. It is a lie. The judges have thus turned her name into an expectation of unfairness.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
It isn't hate for her,

I am sorry but it is when you (general) compare a minor who has done nothing wrong, and is on the contrary a very sweet young lady, to a racist, misogynist, lying bully. That's a moment when it's time to step back. We can all talk about over-scoring and inflation but there has to be perspective and care towards how this young girl is being spoken of. It's become insulting and she does not deserve that.

andromache

Record Breaker

The nitpicking of gloves/tights/etc doesn't really bother me - I enjoy nitpicking the costumes of every skater. But the comments about skating with her mouth open or people saying how much they dislike her face really take it too far.

(Also, someone called her the McDonalds of figure skating? Really? How ridiculous. And btw I love McDonalds.)

There are legitimate criticisms to make about her programs and her skating. No one is perfect. But people get downright nasty about Evgenia. And complaining about the scores ad nauseum is exhausting too. Focus on the placements. Evgenia has never had an unfair win.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The nitpicking of gloves/tights/etc doesn't really bother me - I enjoy nitpicking the costumes of every skater. But the comments about skating with her mouth open or people saying how much they dislike her face really take it too far.

(Also, someone called her the McDonalds of figure skating? Really? How ridiculous. And btw I love McDonalds.)

There are legitimate criticisms to make about her programs and her skating. No one is perfect. But people get downright nasty about Evgenia. And complaining about the scores ad nauseum is exhausting too. Focus on the placements. Evgenia has never had an unfair win.

For me personally I was won over by Evgenia last year and began to like her then. I could see that she is something special. But this year? There is no improvement, imho. She's actually going backwards. I thought I saw glimpses of a woman last year, and thought she would continue down that path, but her programmes are so girlish and kid-like it is frustrating, because I believe she's capable of being better than that. But the judges act like she improved big time since last season, and I just don't see it. She certainly doesn't deserve a lot of the vitriol that is spewed her way, but she also has her faults, and people shouldn't be afraid of saying, "guess what? I don't see it!"