2016 Trophée de France Ladies SP | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2016 Trophée de France Ladies SP

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Completely with you on this one! :agree:

It is moving, that's for sure. But not foreword. 78 (almost WR) for a program that from a TES standpoint does not even have a 3lz? For mediocre (albeit inhumanely consistent) jumps? And PCS component, this program does not hold a candle to the current WR or most of Yuna's SP's. Or Carolina's Ave Maria from Worlds 2014.

Like other posters have said, it is almost impossible to enjoy this discipline when judges make Med untouchable and completely ignore herbfaults. Those who disagree please explain to me the 10 points difference between her and Sotskova. What could have Sotskova do to beat Med here? Land a quad? Would that have been enough? I am not sure

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The scores make it so I have no motivation to watch. The M*****eva scoring is some kind of brain sickness. Between the barely rotated (and maybe not even) toeloop, the shallower skating skills, crap choreography, and immature/nonsensical interpretation...it's like McDonald's trying to tell you their food is the best. NOPE.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Masha could:
1. Increase BV by backloading all her jumps
2. Increase jump GOEs by raising her arm over the head ("arm aloft") when she jumps
3. Increase PCS by making varied facial expressions

Voila!

Of course she could also improve her speed and skating skills, work on quality of spins, refine the landing of her jumps, etc. But would those improvements help her get bigger scores? Hard to say. :cool:
OMG :rofl2:

treeloving

Medalist
IMO, Sotskova was lowballed. There's nothing juniorish about her skating, and she is quite expressive, so why the low GOE and PCS? Her jumps were clean (BTW, she had the hardest jump content of any of the ladies: 3z+3t, 3f, 2a), and she got level4 on her spins and fw.

I think she could improve her skating skills and flow a lot, as well as polishing her movement. Right now I don't really enjoy her program, but she has potiential if she continue improving.

lady_bee

Medalist
I think Masha could:
1. Increase BV by backloading all her jumps
2. Increase jump GOEs by raising her arm over the head ("arm aloft") when she jumps
3. Increase PCS by making varied facial expressions

Voila!

Of course she could also improve her speed and skating skills, work on quality of spins, refine the landing of her jumps, etc. But would those improvements help her get bigger scores? Hard to say. :cool:

OMG! You made me :laugh2:
Still, 1 & 2 are not as easy as they sound. That's why I like Med;) with her amazing consistency.

MiRé

Match Penalty
The fact that Mao received 6.25 for TR from Judge no. 2 says a lot about judging here...........:think:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
The scores make it so I have no motivation to watch. The M*****eva scoring is some kind of brain sickness. Between the barely rotated (and maybe not even) toeloop, the shallower skating skills, crap choreography, and immature/nonsensical interpretation...it's like McDonald's trying to tell you their food is the best. NOPE.

Stealing this.

She-who-must-not-be-named.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It was sad to watch Gold´s performance. She needs to reduce her weight back to normal real quickly!!! Maybe she has now learned something about how to live during off-season...?

Medvedeva was wonderful, she is sooo consistent!!!

Real happy for Daleman, maybe Canada will now have two successful lady skaters?

Kittosuni

Medalist
Can Gracie go to Morozov or Osner? obviously at this point she has nothing to loose since Frank isnt able to help her mental game. She is lucky nobody from her country is challenging her right now except Ashley because as soon as US has a new it girl, those PCS are gonna start dropping.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Has there ever Been straight +3 for a tripple tripple Combi??? I am im pressed way to go gabbi

I believe this is the first time ever.

The next best GOE for a triple triple combo ever was also Gabby (3T-3T at Nebelhorn 2016 FS, receiving seven +3s and two +2s = +2.00 GOE)

The third best ever was:
Yuna (3Lz-3T at Worlds 2013 FS)
Kanako (3T-3T at 4CC 2014 FS)
Liza (3T-3T at GPF 2014 FS)
receiving six +3s and three +2s = +1.90 GOE

These all happened post 2010 GOE factoring implementation... prior to that, judges rarely gave out +3s, so even Yuna's best GOE was a +2.20 (without factoring) for her 3-3 combos.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker

Agree. This overscoring is the worst EVER. There was no one in figure skating history who has been overscored like Evgenia. This is indeed sickening.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Sotskova is such a sophisticated young lady.

I am simply ashamed for Mao to see such low artistry scores for her. Nobody can sell a routine better these days than Mao.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Okay in my book good SS and excellent transitions, the interpretation is different you can't really compare: Evgenia tells you a story that isn't really part of the music, it's not just "i'm doing a great tango" like most of the skaters.

I think some of the comments here are too negative: she is great, and not just because she is consistent.

People will never really understand that everyone's tastes really differ.

People will also never understand that Medvedeva is doing something very different on the ice that is refreshing to see.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Scores are scores - professional judges business. But score aside Medvedeva is just the best skater now. It is just impossible to argue with it when you see her skate live. So 78 0r 68 - whatever, she was the best in the SP that's why she is the leader.

Gaby had a strong performance with big jumps. She is not an actress like Evgeniya - she powerfully skates from one element to another. But her second place is well deserved here.

Maria gained more speed in skating and rotations vs. test skates in Sochi. But they still could be better. There is also a slight insecurity in her landings - hope it won't turn ino the same problem as Radionova currently has. Third place? Sure.

Laurine was a nice surprise. Something in her posture and skating reminded me of Maria Artemyeva. Very lovely. But can she handle the FP? Artemyeva after a good SP usually bombs.

Wakaba has become even faster than she was. And her program does not look empty any more: I remember her just blandly moving across the ice between the elements. Still her spins are of not high quality, then I don't agree with her getting 4th level with high GOE for them.

So Yun Park - finally a clean skate and a decent score.

Mao is a legend but it looks like she skates for fun now. May be there is a plan to slowly bring her to the full power by 2018?

Gracie Gold. I just don't see the future here. I think she, not Medvedeva was the most overscored skater. And the reason was her perceived #1 US status. I don't see big jumps some people see (they were in Sochi and before but not any longer), I see a wooden upper body and very little expressiveness. So her scores and placements for me were at times plain ridiculous. But it cannot last forever if you cannot deliver. I think judges won't help her any longer.

gotoschool

Medalist
Scores are scores - professional judges business. But score aside Medvedeva is just the best skater now. It is just impossible to argue with it when you see her skate live. So 78 0r 68 - whatever, she was the best in the SP that's why she is the leader.

Gaby had a strong performance with big jumps. She is not an actress like Evgeniya - she powerfully skates from one element to another. But her second place is well deserved here.

Maria gained more speed in skating and rotations vs. test skates in Sochi. But they still could be better. There is also a slight insecurity in her landings - hope it won't turn ino the same problem as Radionova currently has. Third place? Sure.

Laurine was a nice surprise. Something in her posture and skating reminded me of Maria Artemyeva. Very lovely. But can she handle the FP? Artemyeva after a good SP usually bombs.

Wakaba has become even faster than she was. And her program does not look empty any more: I remember her just blandly moving across the ice between the elements. Still her spins are of not high quality, then I don't agree with her getting 4th level with high GOE for them.

So Yun Park - finally a clean skate and a decent score.

Mao is a legend but it looks like she skates for fun now. May be there is a plan to slowly bring her to the full power by 2018?

Gracie Gold. I just don't see the future here. I think she, not Medvedeva was the most overscored skater. And the reason was her perceived #1 US status. I don't see big jumps some people see (they were in Sochi and before but not any longer), I see a wooden upper body and very little expressiveness. So her scores and placements for me were at times plain ridiculous. But it cannot last forever if you cannot deliver. I think judges won't help her any longer.

Mao has a left knee injury and it sounds like she may have changed her skates again. I thought her performance, costume, makeup and pony tail were gorgeous but it is obvious the injury is affecting her. I think she should do what is necessary to get the injury to heal, whether it be surgery or time off. It is disturbing that no announcers even mention her injury since she has mentioned it many times. The fact that Tarasova basically reprimanded Mao for not increasing her tech content but didn't bother to find out about her left knee injury after Mao had been made it public is upsetting given how close they were. The press treatment is consistent in a sense with the way in which Mao is lowballed while some other skaters are scored more generously. Scores do matter because they are used for precedent of future scoring whether under or overscored, over or under scrutinized and marked or not marked down for mistakes.

Last edited:

rosy14

Final Flight
Is it really that hard for you old old time era lovers to accept that figure skating is moving forward and not staying in the past?

The past ? 2014 ?
And as for past: who a skater had a very good skating technique, it shows even after ages, when you look at videos of '60, '70, '80, '90, etc. The costumes, the hair, the make up, etc, can be overrated, shocking or laughable, but the skating skills, the technique of jumping or spinning, are there just to be seen.