2016 Trophée de France Ladies SP | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2016 Trophée de France Ladies SP

rain

Record Breaker
While Evgenia's skate was lovely, I really wish her jumps and spins got more scrutiny....

I'm personally really struggling with the last spin...given a level 4, and +2 and +3 GOE across the board...but it was so far from being centred in a box, one wonders if it's even given consideration.... The trail of her edge was so deep and so corkscrewed that it was not only visible when the camera cut away, it was still visible when the next skater was in the early part of her program.

What I have an issue with is the score for her skating skills compared to what Gabby Daleman got. Medvedeva may deserve higher component marks in some categories, but not in this one. Daleman's speed and flow across the ice are second to none.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What I have an issue with is the score for her skating skills compared to what Gabby Daleman got. Medvedeva may deserve higher component marks in some categories, but not in this one. Daleman's speed and flow across the ice are second to none.

I'm sure Gabby will see her PCS go up if she can stay consistent. Like it or not, there is always some built-in bonus that comes with being world champ...just look at Javier's scores.

rain

Record Breaker
I'm sure Gabby will see her PCS go up if she can stay consistent. Like it or not, there is always some built-in bonus that comes with being world champ...just look at Javier's scores.

Oh, no doubt, the why is obvious. It's always one of my pet peeves though. Don't get me started on Javier's skating skill scores — and I love Javi.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I have just watched Laurine's SP... the skate of her life and i am speechless. :shocked:

Beautiful music, sophisticated choreography and the jumps were there too.

Lys

Match Penalty
Hours later and I'm still so mad about Wakaba's short program.
It's such a beautiful program, she skated it so well, why do they insist into putting that 3F there?!?!

I hope they change it soon as possible. Her 3Lo is gorgeous. That should be her solo jump in her sp.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I don't think Wakaba is much better than Satoko, they're just opposite skaters. Both are natural in their interpretation; Satoko is subtle and refined, Wakaba is powerful. Wakaba has much better jumps, Satoko has much better spins; she's flexible and that allows her to have a stunning layback spin and arabesque spiral. Instead of wishing one of them to become Japan's #1 faster, I choose to be a fan of both ladies and see beyond their flaws. If anything, I believe they're both undeservedly underrated compared to Marin Honda.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Hours later and I'm still so mad about Wakaba's short program.
It's such a beautiful program, she skated it so well, why do they insist into putting that 3F there?!?!

I hope they change it soon as possible. Her 3Lo is gorgeous. That should be her solo jump in her sp.

yessssss :palmf:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Indeed Wakaba's 3loop is of gorgeous quality. so swap with 3loop is doable. Speaking of... Not much for Gracie tho. her 3loop has issues as well.:palmf:
also, Wakaba has the capability to do many linking steps in front of her 3loop. actually she wont even need to change any transition steps for her solo jumping. just swap the jump.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I think the last time Gracie was this bad in the standings was her debut at nationals in 2013 (she scored 54 there too!) but its new territory for her internationally. Even when she made mistakes in the SP she was still easily within striking distance for the podium. It was a shock to turn onto the site and see where Gracie was score wise and in the standings.

I really wonder how she will respond in the free. Surely with her back this far up against the wall she has to feel more loose with nothing to lose, right? A year ago I would have been more confident about it but at this moment I don't know :scratch2: At this point if she skates it as she did at worlds last year it would actually be a positive, and she's better then that. That's how low the aura around her right now is :(

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I wonder what THAT Nocturne skate would have scored TODAY.
Lol it probably would get the same scores as it had then since Mao has been consistently underscored her whole career.
Evgenia's ugly steps, mime choreo and armey jumps truly are the paroxysm of women's skating. Rejoice.

Plisskin

Medalist
I don't think Gracie will skate great tomorrow. Even before her Worlds disappointment, there were internal issues going on with her. I read an interview a while back where she said in the 2014-2015 season (with her awful Phantom program) that she was depressed then and that really, wanting to win in Boston is what fired her up afterwards. I think doing these competitions this season was a mistake. She needs some serious time off the ice to reevaluate herself, her skating career and find her joy in skating again. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong tomorrow and she does do well. Hopefully she will.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Overall, this was a great ladies SP! 8 out of 12 skaters scored over 60. And the scores are close - I wonder how the FS will go.

1. Evgenia Medvedeva: All I can say is that she is such a talented and consistent skater. I'll end there though - I don't want to even think about that score.
2. Gabrielle Daleman: Slightly overscored IMO (was expecting 70) but still a fantastic performance from Gabby. She finally got the perfect score on the 3T-3T (is that the first time a lady got perfect GOE on a jump?) and the rest of her elements were incredible. Gabby still has a small chance to get into the final, so I'm hoping for another good performance tomorrow.
3. Maria Sotskova: PCS should've been around 28-29, but anyways I enjoyed her performance. Her jumps are great and her tall height makes her really stand out. This was a nice debut performance for Maria.
4. Laurine Lecavalier: Biggest surprise of the night, and my favourite performance alongside Gabby. Laurine was rarely ever clean so to smash her PB by 14 points in such a large crowd is a great achievement. I think I'll be looking out for Laurine now. When she skates well, she's really good.
5. Wakaba Higuchi: Beautiful combo, beautiful steps, good program. Again, it's really nice to see the improvements Wakaba made on her presentation. Too bad about the flip at the end but still an enjoyable performance. Wakaba has never been the most consistent skater, so who knows how she'll do tomorrow.
6. So Youn Park: It's relieving to see that the judges are finally giving So Youn the scores she deserves. Today's performance was a big improvement over her previous ones and she deserved that PB. Hopefully this boosts her confidence for the FS.
7. Alena Leonova: Despite the "sh"s and screeches throughout the whole program, I actually don't mind it that much, because of how well Alena stays in character. She is such a great performer so I always feel happy when she's on the ice. Sadly, she's known for having lots of disastrous FS performances...
8. Mao Asada: I actually think that the ponytail doesn't really suit the music (contrary to other people's opinion). Anyway, it's hard to see her struggle so much after returning here. In a field where many skaters were clean, we can see that the judges didn't let Mao stay up in the standings for too long. After the FS, I hope Mao takes some time to regain her form (and heal from her injury).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, Sotskova was lowballed. There's nothing juniorish about her skating, and she is quite expressive, so why the low GOE and PCS? Her jumps were clean (BTW, she had the hardest jump content of any of the ladies: 3z+3t, 3f, 2a), and she got level4 on her spins and fw.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
IMO, Sotskova was lowballed. There's nothing juniorish about her skating, and she is quite expressive, so why the low GOE and PCS? Her jumps were clean (BTW, she had the hardest jump content of any of the ladies: 3z+3t, 3f, 2a), and she got level4 on her spins and fw.

I would guess its because she's not the #1 Russian here. I would bet if the reigning world champ, from her own country, was absent her marks might have been higher :think:

I was very impressed with what I saw from her. I never saw her skate before :eek:: I think her spins could be faster but she has everything else :cool:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Laurine Lecavalier's airy floating hair mashed with that airy floating music really well. I like that. also this girl got some really good speed in aspects of her skating. and I love her stsq.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
watched most of the girls. Overall a nice SP competitions. I enjoyed Wakababy, Gabby, Laurine etc. (Gracie tho:sad21:)
EDIT: as for So Youn. kudos to PB. but artistically, I felt her SP is a tiny bit rehearsed sensual/sexy/flirty. not heart felt.... dont know if you know what I mean. Anyways, fabulous interpretation nonetheless . But her ss is not up to par to the 3 girls I mentioned above.

Last edited:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Ladies, ladies, ladies... :)

Evgenia... still not loving that first part, it still feels she isn't one with her music but all else is good.

Wakaba... nice jumps (except for that 3F) and expression . I think she skated well to her music but it fell bland to me. However, she sure has talent.

Maria... I'm not feeling this program (it lacks fire but she has grace). I think she has good technique. Overall still she did good.

Gabby... really nice and she was on the attack. Good luck at the FS.

Mao... I like bunned hair better. Not her best skate but I still do like this sp overall.

Gracie... lovely spins but overall tsk,tsk,tsk (she seemed to have not energy)

Laurine... not liking that costume and that music but she skated well to it. Good job overall.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I am so happy to see so many of you giving your stamp of approval on Wakaba's expression and interpretation. Along with the maturing with age, she has worked hard to transform herself from a "fast skater with solid jumps" to a more and more complete skater who shines in all aspects.

She has been working on fixing her flip edge, with good results, but that mental block is there. I don't think she should shy away from doing the 3F in the short. She has to keep doing it and let it gradually become comfortable and stable. She is only 15, she can do this.

Masha continues to impress with her unmistakably clean 3Lz and 3F takeoffs. Out of the 4 skaters who attempted both jumps in this competition, she is the only one who you can just trust.