2016 Trophée de France Mens FS | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016 Trophée de France Mens FS

da96103

Record Breaker
Congrats to Adam for getting his first clean fully rotated quad. He won the election.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
Sure.

But I'm looking at it like this: He did a successful 4Z-3T and 4F within the first minute of his program. Within the next minute he fell on a 4S and a 4T. Then at the start of the bonus he landed a second 4T (his fifth, unplanned quad) but had to put his hand down and couldn't get a combo off it, costing him points.

It's pretty clear 4 quads are too much for him right now. How many are optimal? Is he better off just doing two really great jumping passes at the beginning and focusing on components? Or can he add a third, and if so, what quad should it be and where should he place it?

Today he did the same thing as he did at Finlandia - planned 4 quads, had two falls, and added an extra quad to compensate for the points lost on the falls. I don't think it's the smartest strategy, but he seems like a really headstrong kid, and I wonder if Marina will be able to convince him otherwise.

Wonder if this is the reason Nathan left Rafael. He would not let him do 5 quads but Marina says okay. The 5-quad programme is actually the planned alternate if he falls in one or more of the first four quads.

Meoima

Match Penalty
German Eurosport guys wondered how that will hurt the hips of the likes of Nathan Chen and Boyang Jin...there were like "and in 5 years time they need a walking-aid..." One of them is a doctor and always commenting about bones and muscles. It's interesting.
Well my friend says the same, like: "If they want to skate until 2022, they should not do 4 quads right now."

da96103

Record Breaker
Urgh, I'm still so angry about the puddle thing :curse:

I'm rewatching Mura's and Fernandes's performances and, who knows, they might have fallen either way, but there's literally water splashing around. It just makes me so angry :gaah:

There's no big sponsor for Trophee this year. So reduced budget.

da96103

Record Breaker
since i'll get accused for it anyway I may as well say it: i'll be extra salty if one (or more) of the US men makes the gpf (less so jason than adam or nathan) especially if they do it without wining one, because it should have been max last year, and it wasn't his fault that he didn't.

Actually the only way GPF has all the skaters win one event is if all 6 GP won by 6 different skaters. Since Javier won two already. At least one skater would be a non-winner.. So you can't fault anyone for that. They just qualify for being the highest non-winner.

But I see what you mean in that a non winner qualifies but a winner with a poor second GP result did not. This may happen to Boyang if he wins China and a skater with a 2-3 placement qualifies.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow wow wow. So anyone who makes the Grand Prix final without winning doesn't deserve it, that's what you're saying? Even if it were US men, 'cause they suck! All of them! And Max is the only one deserving!

:2thumbs:

All one can really do is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: thanks for pointing out the absurdity. Most of the time, no one even bothers.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
We should be glad Patrick Chan did not skate here. Otherwise the puddle would be blamed for everything.

You're shifting the attention from the important issue raised by viennaskater and others for an opportunity to bash Chan, who only brought it out in the open without dwelling on it. Now there is a general awareness for everybody to notice this problem and to maybe have understanding of some of the disappointing performances. It's an issue ISU and event organizers should be vigilant about for safety and fairness.

da96103

Record Breaker
You're shifting the attention from the important issue raised by viennaskater and others for an opportunity to bash Chan, who only brought it out in the open without dwelling on it. Now there is a general awareness for everybody to notice this problem and to maybe have understanding of some of the disappointing performances. It's an issue ISU and event organizers should be vigilant about for safety and fairness.

Nah not bashing Patrick Chan. He complained about it last year at 4CC? If someone else had complained about puddles, I would have used his name.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with everyone's comments about Adam's free program. I finally just had the chance to watch it in its entirety. I cried. Such beautiful, powerful skating paired with a fully rotated quad, all on the day after his 27th birthday. Amazing. Like fine wine, he and Ashley only seem to get better with age. :yes:

I completely agree. It surprises me to be so powerfully affected by this program. First, I'm still not over his Beatles program and will never quit watching it.

But especially this: I'm not at all fond of pantomiming, whether it's from one of the Russian baby phenoms or one of my favorite skaters. So when I was glimpsing only parts of the program, thanks to screen freeze, I was like, okay, it's beautiful skating, Adam, but ....

When I watched it in its entirety, I felt awe. It's the highlight of the whole Trophee France week-end for me. Exquisite. A masterpiece.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nah not bashing Patrick Chan. He complained about it last year at 4CC? If someone else had complained about puddles, I would have used his name.

No problem at 4CC at all. He skated a wonderful and memorable LP to Chopin. It was at Boston Worlds that the puddly ice, worsened by all the quads by the last group, caused problems for several skaters, Patrick the most as the last to skate. I've discussed this issue and hoped the problem would be addressed for the safety and fairness for all skaters and the enjoyment for the fans. Unfortunately the French federation too failed to ensure an up to the standard ice.

da96103

Record Breaker
I agree with everyone's comments about Adam's free program. I finally just had the chance to watch it in its entirety. I cried. Such beautiful, powerful skating paired with a fully rotated quad, all on the day after his 27th birthday. Amazing. Like fine wine, he and Ashley only seem to get better with age. :yes:

Is Adam the oldest skater to jump his first clean quad?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^^^ What an interesting thought. As I'm thinking back, it wouldn't surprise me if that's so.

And considering that this sort of extreme technique gets more difficult as the body ages, what an accomplishment!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Is Adam the oldest skater to jump his first clean quad?

Adam was credited with landed fully rotated 4Ts at 2013 NHK, though both got negative GOEs. Since he just turned 27, he would have been 24 at that time. Other than that, I can't answer your question.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
show me where he has done so.... we are talking here about ONE of the PCS components being about 3 points below what he's give to that particular skater... not comparing to other skaters... just within one set of marks...

the difference here is that for a long time, judges have scored PCS with skating skill being the guiding score... then transitions going .5 lower and the rest as SS more or less... so 2-3 points lower or higher in ONE element would be interesting indeed.

If he made a mistake, he should really pay more attention, because he's made the same mistake at Ladies' and Pairs' :sarcasm:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this is completely unfair to Patrick.

We ALL mentioned the puddle at Boston, like we did here. The fact that Patrick has the courage to speak up about it, is commendable. Not the opposite.

I can see some similarities with Gabby and Patrick here. They both have huge speed and both had their first pass in the puddle corner Patrick had to pop, Gabby fell. If you think that only Patrick is affected by the puddle, you are not being fair nor logical. Medvedeva also fell in that corner. She never falls. Many girls did....

The only one who skated on a good ice was Mae, first skater of the night.

We should be glad Patrick Chan did not skate here. Otherwise the puddle would be blamed for everything.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Whatever was the reason of the puddle and which skaters affect or didn't affect, I hope this doesn't repeat itself at the GPF. It's sad that some of the best skaters in the world compete against each other before Worlds but end up underperforming because of circumstances out of their control, like ice conditions.

CeCiLiA

Rinkside
Medvedeva fail near, but not in the lagoon, she fail because she tried the right edge in the lutz and fail again, she have a call