2016 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance SD | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance SD

Art&Sport

Medalist
@Ekm, I always try to call it as I see it. I have to call out unfairness when it is a politically-biased result. You can refrain because you don't like negativity. I understand that sometimes fans are overly complaining when their favorites are underscored and even when they aren't. This situation is very different. C/B and the Shibs are very close in ability, but the Shibs have stepped it up tremendously and are actually surpassing C/B right now, but due to politics the Shibs are failing to be fairly rewarded. I find that UNACCEPTABLE! And I will speak out about it.

Evan and Madison are NOT better on the components than Maia and Alex. That's just a put-up job and a lame excuse to keep the Shibs in second place. Unfairness and politics is written all over this result!!

Charlie White showed too much obvious favoritism in his remarks as well. Maia and Alex were way better technically and artistically in their performance. The judges rewarded Can/McM by percentage points over Hawayek/Baker, but could not be fair to the Shibs. The way this has been scored, shows quite clearly that Evan and Madison can trip all over themselves with their faux, awkward so-called presentation and with tech mistakes, and still win over a better Maia and Alex. I hope C/B are OFF the podium at Worlds.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Shibs and C/B exactly .47 apart...Deja Vu much? Almost the exact same thing happened last year! :laugh: The FD should be very exciting!

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
No way Shibs are going to win tomorrow. They lost out on GOE (overall) and PCS. That shows who the judges favor and they're not going to change their minds tomorrow.

Art&Sport

Medalist
My god....does Charlie ever shut up!!!

Yep Charlie is a bit over chatty at times. In general, although he can provide some good insights, he is not as good as Tanith at ice dance commentary. Also, I dislike his over-favoritism shown toward C/B because Evan is a close friend of his.

Last edited:

Ekm

On the Ice
That's fair. That's happened to me with other skaters. Also fair, I think, is that judges holding up Chock/Bates even when they have mistakes sometimes affects my enjoyment of them. :confused2:

They were great today, though. Chock/Bates and the Shibs deserve to be neck and neck and you could make an argument for either to be in the lead right now, IMO.

BTW, didn't mean to pile on you, because I know other posters have already replied to you. I started writing this before those other posts went up.

I didn't think you did! And I thought your response was totally polite and reasonable. Also, that's a total valid reason for disliking Chock and Bates (who as I've mentioned before I'm not the hugest fan of), I just don't care for how negative and defensive some people get.

In any case, I'm sure there's a storm of negativity to come, so I'm out.

KKonas

Medalist
Yep Charlie is a bit over chatty at times. In general, although he can provide some good insights, he is not as good as Tanith at ice dance commentary. Also, I dislike his overly favoritism shown toward C/B because Evan is a close friend of his.

Charlie roomed with both Evan and Alex some years ago. They are all still good friends.

caitie

Medalist
Yep Charlie is a bit over chatty at times. In general, although he can provide some good insights, he is not as good as Tanith at ice dance commentary. Also, I dislike his over-favoritism shown toward C/B because Evan is a close friend of his.

I actually thought he was more critical of them than he could have been and most complimentary of the Shibutanis.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Charlie is also very close to the Shibs. Both attended his and Tanith's wedding and were very chummy there. But I do think there's some concerted effort to convince the audiences that C/B are the next Meryl/Charlie as evidenced by that preview show.

And though they may not best friends, I think the Shibs and Chock/Bates get along pretty well.

caitie

Medalist
No way Shibs are going to win tomorrow. They lost out on GOE (overall) and PCS. That shows who the judges favor and they're not going to change their minds tomorrow.

Yeah, I agree with this.

The Shibutanis and C/B both got full base value for their RW, but the judges were very conservative with the Shibs' GOE, they were only getting like .30, .29 on those (this is based on the bug, I still haven't looked at the protocols yet). Whereas Chock and Bates were getting over a full point of GOE on both. They also won on PCS. I really think the only reason it's so close is because the Shibutanis pulled out a Level 4 on their step sequence.

I do think the Shibs have the better FD, but Chock and Bates have really improved theirs since the Grand Prix to be fair to them.

So I don't think the judges deserve any credit for keeping it close, it's down to that Level 4 the Shibutanis pulled out on steps. (again with caveat that I have yet to look at the protocols, and this is what I am remembering from the initial levels as called)

ozmodiar

On the Ice
Charlie was occasionally working with the Shibs on their programs last year. Maybe this year, too.

Ekm

On the Ice
@Ekm, I always try to call it as I see it. I have to call out unfairness when it is a politically-biased result. You can refrain because you don't like negativity. I understand that sometimes fans are overly complaining when their favorites are underscored and even when they aren't. This situation is very different. C/B and the Shibs are very close in ability, but the Shibs have stepped it up tremendously and are actually surpassing C/B right now, but due to politics the Shibs are failing to be fairly rewarded. I find that UNACCEPTABLE! And I will speak out about it.

Evan and Madison are NOT better on the components than Maia and Alex. That's just a put-up job and a lame excuse to keep the Shibs in second place. Unfairness and politics is written all over this result!!

Charlie White showed too much obvious favoritism in his remarks as well. Maia and Alex were way better technically and artistically in their performance. The judges rewarded Can/McM by percentage points over Hawayek/Baker, but could not be fair to the Shibs. The way this has been scored, shows quite clearly that Evan and Madison can trip all over themselves with their faux, awkward so-called presentation and with tech mistakes, and still win over a better Maia and Alex. I hope C/B are OFF the podium at Worlds.

I'm totally done after this, but the post I responded to called Chock and Bates's free dance crap, it's fine to be annoyed with the judging and think that the Shibs should be on top (provided they skate cleanly), but calling a teams program crap and wishing them ill will is really low.

I didn't think Charlie was biased at all, I thought he was super positive and complimentary to all the teams.

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I didn't think Charlie played favorites. He is very close to both Evan and the Shibs and is an official mentor to Hawayek and Baker. He was walking a very fine line today talking about good friends and I think he did well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, I agree with this.

The Shibutanis and C/B both got full base value for their RW, but the judges were very conservative with the Shibs' GOE, they were only getting like .30, .29 on those (this is based on the bug, I still haven't looked at the protocols yet). Whereas Chock and Bates were getting over a full point of GOE on both. They also won on PCS. I really think the only reason it's so close is because the Shibutanis pulled out a Level 4 on their step sequence.

I do think the Shibs have the better FD, but Chock and Bates have really improved theirs since the Grand Prix to be fair to them.

So I don't think the judges deserve any credit for keeping it close, it's down to that Level 4 the Shibutanis pulled out on steps. (again with caveat that I have yet to look at the protocols, and this is what I am remembering from the initial levels as called)

Here you go. http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/18516/results.html

The GOE was 8.70 v. 8.34. Shibs beat them on twizzles and the partial step sequence and Chock and Bates got everything else.

caitie

Medalist
Here you go. http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/18516/results.html

The GOE was 8.70 v. 8.34. Shibs beat them on twizzles and the partial step sequence and Chock and Bates got everything else.

Thank you!

The GOE is closer than I thought, yay! My stupid IN feed was kind of choppy/blurry so I guess they were getting 6.29 instead of the 5.29 I thought I saw. I wish the PCS was closer, though. I don't like seeing so many 8.75s for the Shibs vs. 9.25s for C/B...

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
ah I see
predictable result:(
Good thing I didnt expect amything else & didnt set myself up for disappointment

I still love ya Maia & Alex! Dont give up!:ghug: