2016 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance SD | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance SD

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
The Shibs are my favorite but I really enjoyed all of the top skaters today. What a great competition! I usually care more about singles, so I'm surprised at how excited I feel about Ice Dance at nationals (and for worlds). The US really seems to have alot of depth now, and with all of the great younger teams coming up from juniors, novice, etc, Ice Dance should get even more exciting in the next few years. I can't wait for the final! We're getting a major snowstorm in the DC area now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't lose power in my neighborhood anytime skating is on!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Why is the USFSA insisting on putting the Shibs so close to C/B? Internationally, the Shibs got a long way to go. For some reason, they are pushing the wrong people in all categories. Marina must work overtime for this to happen.

C/B got star quality.

humbaba

Final Flight
I actually thought he was more critical of them than he could have been and most complimentary of the Shibutanis.

Yes. Before the group with the Shibutanis skated Charlie went into a big spiel about how being a sibling team isn't a problem for them and, in fact, is a strength. I agree with him to a point. I don't understand the attitude that it's an insurmountable hurdle that siblings must forego romantic programs. But it is a real problem because it limits styles available to a sibling team and also the bias against brother/sister teams is real.

Anyway, Charlie's determination to deflect a common criticism directed at the Shibutanis was very noticeable. I got the feeling he's rooting for his former training mates. Even so, I do think Charlie tries hard to be fair to all the teams.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Charlie's a good egg who was walking the fine status quo party line. I do think overall he is closer to Evan than to Alex. I think Charlie was trying to be fair, but he came out flatly declaring that C/B need to go to Worlds as National champions. I don't think adhering to political line is being fair when another team that is just as good and better in many ways has stepped up their game, but are not being fairly rewarded. Being unfair to the Shibs will only end up hurting both U.S. teams at Worlds. Plus, Hub/Don are not chopped liver in all of this either.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Do I wish the Shibs were in first? YES! But holy cow, that was an amazing competition. I want to have the top 5 on a loop and watch them over and over!! When you add in the JR Dance event, this was a banner day for US Ice Dance.

slider11

Medalist
Fabulous competition! Yes the Shibs are a close second and yes they can win! Their Fix You FD is a gem. Also, watch for Hawayek/Baker. Their free dance to The Theory of Everything is a moving and spellbinding performance based on Stephen Hawking's progressing ALS condition. It will be very close between Chock/Bates and the Shibs but I'm feeling a Shib win. I also will go out on a limb and say that Hawayek and Baker pull up to third. Sorry to put bad vibes towards Hubbell and Donahue - I don't like to see others win over another's misfortune - but I don't think we'll see the same sustained power and artistry in the H/D FD. If H/B can skate their hearts out I think they might pull third.

Art&Sport

Medalist
On the positive side, IceNetwork has up the hilarious backstage social media fluff with Michael Buckley of What the Buck! fame. A lot of fun listening to his byplay with all the ice dance teams. There is also fluff with the pairs skaters and ladies. A good way to relax and enjoy laughing and getting to know the skaters.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
If H/B can skate their hearts out I think they might pull third.
Sorry, there is an 8 points difference after the SD, and that's huge in ice dancing. Then compare the marks that both teams have been getting for their FDs internationally, and you will see that Hubbell/Donohue are going to win over Hawayek/Baker even with a mistake. And it won't matter whether H/B skate their hearts out and whether you like their FD better - that is not how it works.

Last edited:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm wondering whether skate order will make a difference in the final as between c/b and the Shibs. For instance, what if the Shibs skate last and bring the house down?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm wondering whether skate order will make a difference in the final as between c/b and the Shibs. For instance, what if the Shibs skate last and bring the house down?

Well, I guess we'll never know since the Shibutani's are skating second to last. H/D are the final to skate.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Shibs are my favorite but I really enjoyed all of the top skaters today. What a great competition! I usually care more about singles, so I'm surprised at how excited I feel about Ice Dance at nationals (and for worlds). The US really seems to have alot of depth now, and with all of the great younger teams coming up from juniors, novice, etc, Ice Dance should get even more exciting in the next few years. I can't wait for the final! We're getting a major snowstorm in the DC area now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't lose power in my neighborhood anytime skating is on!

We ice dancing fanatics love new converts! :)

waxel

Final Flight
Fabulous competition... and we're due one at these Nats. So many evocative and compelling programs, skated exquisitely. It was all quite thrilling.

Also fabulous????? Charlie White doing commentary.

katha

On the Ice
I thought this was a very well skated event, with the top three in particular delivering exceptional performances under immense pressure! :thumbsup:

Am a bit concerned about Hawayek/Baker tbh. They are clearly struggling, IMO they were already comparable to C/M at Skate America and the judges stuck a bit to protocol and propped them up there, now it seems the Nationals judges agree with my impression and don't see much difference between the two pairs. The upward momentum they had going last year seems to have stalled a bit. I don't think the SD was a super fortunate choice either. Swan Lake works for S/K because they can get a "flair" of ballet and of grandness and elegance going, H/B can't get their Nutcracker to "sing" in the same way. And IMO they still look juniorish and small in their skating and movements. They are so talented, I hope it's just a bump in the road.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Where is it posted?

Start at the icenetwork.com home page.

Click on the link to the "Event page" for US Nats.
[The link to the Event page also is in the OP of this thread, and also in most of the OPs of the other GS threads re US Nats.]

On the Event page, look for the Results link on the right side of the page.
[The link to the Results page also is in the OP of this thread and also in most of the OPs of the other GS threads re US Nats.]

The Results page has links to Start Orders of upcoming segments (after the draws for those segments have been held).

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I thought this was a very well skated event, with the top three in particular delivering exceptional performances under immense pressure! :thumbsup:

Am a bit concerned about Hawayek/Baker tbh. They are clearly struggling, IMO they were already comparable to C/M at Skate America and the judges stuck a bit to protocol and propped them up there, now it seems the Nationals judges agree with my impression and don't see much difference between the two pairs. The upward momentum they had going last year seems to have stalled a bit. I don't think the SD was a super fortunate choice either. Swan Lake works for S/K because they can get a "flair" of ballet and of grandness and elegance going, H/B can't get their Nutcracker to "sing" in the same way. And IMO they still look juniorish and small in their skating and movements. They are so talented, I hope it's just a bump in the road.

I think their strongest style is classic ballroom. It's what won them Junior Worlds. And they really have yet to skate a classic ballroom piece yet as seniors (I find that a strange choice to have made myself--and bad coaching from Krylova and Camerlengo, who are decidedly not impressing me these days).

YMMV of course.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Start at the icenetwork.com home page.

Click on the link to the "Event page" for US Nats.
[The link to the Event page also is in the OP of this thread, and also in most of the OPs of the other GS threads re US Nats.]

On the Event page, look for the Results link on the right side of the page.
[The link to the Results page also is in the OP of this thread and also in most of the OPs of the other GS threads re US Nats.]

The Results page has links to Start Orders of upcoming segments (after the draws for those segments have been held).
Thanks so much!

slider11

Medalist
Sorry, there is an 8 points difference after the SD, and that's huge in ice dancing. Then compare the marks that both teams have been getting for their FDs internationally, and you will see that Hubbell/Donohue are going to win over Hawayek/Baker even with a mistake. And it won't matter whether H/B skate their hearts out and whether you like their FD better - that is not how it works.

Agree that it is a huge spread. Hawayek and Baker's SD has been a detriment all season. Again, I don't wish bad things but it is possible with mistakes on H/D's part and an extraordinary (and finally recognized)FD by H/B. I realize it's unlikely but hopefully the new allure of figure skating is that movement can occur within placements based on extraordinary events. You're right that it's a dream that likely will not come true but I would love to see H/B's FD continue to grow in international competition.