2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies FP | Page 64 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies FP

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I would agree that Gracie skates with power but she IMO lacks artistry. She would skate the same way to any music. I could see a troubled person longing for the world in Medvedeva's FS, I could see Shekherezada in Anna's FS. I could not see a firebird in Gracie. But power skaters have the right to exist and win. Moreover, Polina Tsurskaya of Russia and Wakaba Higuchi of Japan are exactly power skaters with the lack of artistry. And they are going strong aiming at the top in the years to come. Neither of them are my favorites though. And I am glad that there exist among Russian (many) and Japanese (Marin Honda) promising juniors those who can offer something else. What about US? Karen Chen and Vivian Le, may be?

No, I'm afraid the US will continue to suffer in the ladies field. We haven't had any depth in a very long time.

I don't know if I can watch poor Mariah's skate again. Seeing her in tears like that is going to make ME cry.

She had a rough start, but what I thought started the tears flowing was when she was leaving the ice and suddenly realized that she had just lost ten points or so (from a program that was disappointing but not terrible) by Zayaking on the triple/double/double combination.

But chin up, Mariah. You are a complete package skater. See you next year!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
She had a rough start, but what I thought started the tears flowing was when she was leaving the ice and suddenly realized that she had just lost ten points or so (from a program that was disappointing but not terrible) by Zayaking on the triple/double/double combination.

But chin up, Mariah. You are a complete package skater. See you next year!

Seriously, though. If she can put together two complete skates (I know, big "if" for a lot of skaters), she'd do amazing.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Almost positive your "take-off" picture is too late... you should start the rotation "countdown" when their toepick hits and their whole blade is on the ice... here the front of the blade is off the ice and she's twisting off.

OK, I take the previous frame when her full blade is on ice - it changes little - between her landing and the flow out there is still almost 180 degree rotation on ice: look at her shoulders and the shoulders of the dude just to the right: they are parallel on the second and third photo. The only difference is the direction she is facing.

Once again my point is that the tech panel was quite lenient to Gracie at least calling perfect her 3T at 2A-3T which looks underotated. There is nothing outrageous in that. Questionable calls happened at nationals in Russia as well.

Take-off: http://s020.radikal.ru/i716/1601/2c/bcf6dbb59a3d.jpg

Landing: http://i056.radikal.ru/1601/1c/c84a4bae584d.jpg

The flow out: http://s011.radikal.ru/i317/1601/29/ebb2b8afefd0.jpg

andyjo24

Medalist
Tyler Pierce is like Gracie with much better interpretation. She would be a better, more passionate firebird.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Gracie and Ashley. I forget Polina is just 17; what a tough cookie.
Gracie - Peolple are correct; she can skate better than this. When relaxed in practise there is a natural extension and freedom. It's beautiful. If she could tap into that in Boston she could win.
Ahsley - Ashley is like the boyfriend/girlfriend who no matter what they've done have a ready-made excuse. They need people like Arturian around to slap them up a bit to see reality.
Polina - I don't know what she and Galindo did exactly but the long program reads flowing and willowy from beginning to end. I don't see the change. Surely there is more to Scarlette that that.
Marai - Good on her. She probaly bought herself an assignment in next year's GP. She'll need to up her game to be a factor. There just isn't the difficulty of Gracie's, Med's programs here.

Mirai is just a 2A-3T combo away from having nearly the same difficulty as Gracie. I think Mirai's 3Lo, 2A and spins are second to none. She is also consistent--back to back cleaner programs than either Gracie or Ashley. And Mirai should get two GP assignments, not just one. :)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I still like Polina's hair. That style really does look good on her, even if it's distracting while she's skating.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Gracie-Polina-Ashley is a really strong trio. Each one has a piece of the puzzle that they excel at. In order to improve the are pushed by each other. Ashley upped her tech to keep up with Gracie and Gracie upped her presentation to keep up with Ashley. This year they were both pushed by Polina's killer competitive instincts. Kudos to them all. I hope they can recognize and thank each other for a healthy rivalry.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
My take on the top US ladies:
Gracie - stunning performance last night. Not sure your ups and downs are over but that has to be a real morale booster!
Polina- well skated performance to GWTW but it does not have Worlds-appeal. Find music next year that has meaning to you.
Ashley- well skated but that Moulin Rouge is getting old. Not sure it will have enough freshness for Worlds. Appreciate your grit but getting tired of the PR stunts.
Mirai- good, good performance! Looks like you are enjoying skating. Find music that speaks to you for next year and continue the climb. Tom Z is a perfect coach for you. I love how he stepped between you and NBC cameras right before the warm up. He knows how to protect and nurture you. You're not a little girl but Tom will make sure you are in the best place to continue your competitive aspirations. Listen to Tom.

On a side note, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski did a fabulous job on the NBC broadcast of the ladies free. Johnny was candid and informative. Tara was sassy and also insightful. Terry Gannon pulls them together nicely. Really enjoyed their commentary. Johnny expressed his opinions but showed maturity and respect in the way he did it. Loved it.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Eh, Gracie and Evgenia are about even and both are ahead of Ashley and Anna IMO... Gracie and Ashley also have programs that take advantage of having Worlds at Boston.

Better than Anna? Where exactly? SS are the same. Interpretation is much better for Anna. I'd say she is stronger, actually:)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Agreed. Anna is a bit of a wild card but if she performs like Russian nationals she could maybe beat a clean Ashley but I don't think she could beat a clean Gracie (not in Boston). Elena's biggest strength is her grit - she delivers every time. However, if the other girls deliver, I don't think she should beat them. Maybe Ashley if she doesn't hit her levels, but idk Elena's PCS are way over-marked for me. Her posture is distracting and her programs this season are terrible - for some reason this never seems to be reflected in her PCS but I have a hard time believing judges will place her above Gracie and Ashley if they really deliver in Boston (big, huge if!).

Anna's jumps are better. Her ss are stronger. Ashley is a weak link here..

NaVi

Medalist
On a side note, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski did a fabulous job on the NBC broadcast of the ladies free. Johnny was candid and informative. Tara was sassy and also insightful. Terry Gannon pulls them together nicely. Really enjoyed their commentary. Johnny expressed his opinions but showed maturity and respect in the way he did it. Loved it.

One thing I notice is that I prefer their live commentary more than their prerecorded commentary as I feel like they talk over the emotional bits less often if it's live.

RABID

Final Flight
Gracie was really great and I am really happy to see her happy.I think her PCS could be a little bit higher but this time judges decided to be realistic, except on flip's, why avoiding Gracie's while giving Mirai one? And Gracie and Carly's scene at the end was priceless.A moment that I will always remember.
:love:

:agree:

LisaS

On the Ice
Question, does the Zayak rule not apply to Double Axels? Polina did two solo double Axel's and received credit for both, I would have thought one of them would have needed to be in combination.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Once again my point is that the tech panel was quite lenient to Gracie at least calling perfect her 3T at 2A-3T which looks underotated. There is nothing outrageous in that. Questionable calls happened at nationals in Russia as well.
Take-off: http://s020.radikal.ru/i716/1601/2c/bcf6dbb59a3d.jpg
Landing: http://i056.radikal.ru/1601/1c/c84a4bae584d.jpg
The flow out: http://s011.radikal.ru/i317/1601/29/ebb2b8afefd0.jpg
The ice is too white I think she's still on the air and I couldn't be sure her blade touched the ice already or not.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Question, does the Zayak rule not apply to Double Axels? Polina did two solo double Axel's and received credit for both, I would have thought one of them would have needed to be in combination.
The skaters are only allowed to do two double axels in total, but the zayak rule only applies to triple and quad jumps. So two double axels are fine.

NaVi

Medalist
Just FYI, Yuna did 3 2A at 2010 Olympics and the next year(IIRC) that was disallowed... Costner did 3 2T(on purpose) at 2014 Olympics and the next year that was disallowed.