2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

MRani

On the Ice
No one skater/pair's performance affected the team's medal standing.

(The only single person that could have changed things was Kolyada, who had the ability to beat Chan in both the short and free, and would have earned OAR the gold if he had)

I think that’s what Skylark meant. It was a team effort and everyone did their part to contribute to the overall score. It didn’t come down to just one person or team pulling the total score up. Each skater/team’s performance did affect the team medal standing in the sense that pretty much everyone got their job done.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that’s what Skylark meant. It was a team effort and everyone did their part to contribute to the overall score. It didn’t come down to just one person or team pulling the total score up. Each skater/team’s performance did affect the team medal standing in the sense that pretty much everyone got their job done.

Exactly right. Thank you. :)

No one skater/pair's performance affected the team's medal standing.

Below is a portion of my post. It was in your post, quoting me. I don't understand how this sentence could be misinterpreted, but I guess anything's possible. There you go:

I think all of our athletes did their part

mintx

On the Ice
I think that's sweet, but if that is how they are presenting it, also a tad misleading. All of Team USA "lifted" Team USA to bronze. Anyway, go Team!

And Jason is of course also too sweet. I think in his absence Alexa Knierim took over the role as team cheerleader;)

I love that Alexa is taking a leadership role at the Olympics. She spoke at the team press conference and on the today show. She yelled at Marai to "Start!" Helping her to avoid a penalty. Chris has tweeted some sweet things about her and seems very protective and proud. Alexa and Chris may be my Jason this Olympics.

princessalica

Final Flight
Kolyada definitely impacted his team , but honestly if Nathan had skated short and long and skated like Nathan can skate, US would have had silver. We ended up 4 points behind OAR, while the difference in points in those two segments was a 5 point deficit of how it could have gone. So even if Nathan had just been second, and still skated the long (because he certainly has the potential to outscore Chan in that segment) We would have been tied with OAR. What's the tie breaker?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kolyada definitely impacted his team , but honestly if Nathan had skated short and long and skated like Nathan can skate, US would have had silver. We ended up 4 points behind OAR, while the difference in points in those two segments was a 5 point deficit of how it could have gone. So even if Nathan had just been second, and still skated the long (because he certainly has the potential to outscore Chan in that segment) We would have been tied with OAR. What's the tie breaker?
The Russians might have decided to use T/M in the LP if the US was closer and that would most likely be one or two more points for Russia and the US would still not have a chance at Silver.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
"Adam Rippon on Quiet Starvation in Men's Figure Skating"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/sports/olympics/figure-skating-adam-rippon.html

This is probably something that deserves its own thread, but I'm not up to starting the discussion (especially during the Olympics - maybe during the off-season, lol).

That was an interesting article. I wonder if any other of the U.S. men were interviewed, like Vincent or Nathan. It does seem like all the U.S. men really slimmed down. I wonder if that's a product of trying to hit quads (among other things).

That quote from Jeremy about having a poor body image even now was interesting and sad too.

andromache

Record Breaker
That was an interesting article. I wonder if any other of the U.S. men were interviewed, like Vincent or Nathan. It does seem like all the U.S. men really slimmed down. I wonder if that's a product of trying to hit quads (among other things).

If I was Vincent or Nathan (or their agents), I'm not sure discussing body image / eating habits would be the best idea. They're both still so young, and it wouldn't surprise me if they have problematic eating habits - I assume everyone in the sport does, the only question is to what extent. Raf was supportive of Adam's 3 slices of bread diet. Nathan and Vincent might be built differently than Adam which might make naturally slimmer, but I doubt they maintain that without restricting their diets in some way. Adam (whose idea of a celebration is a salad with creamy dressing) is obviously still very, very conscious of what he eats. But he, along with the other men interviewed, are older and have more perspective. They are far less vulnerable than teenagers.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If I was Vincent or Nathan (or their agents), I'm not sure discussing body image / eating habits would be the best idea. They're both still so young, and it wouldn't surprise me if they have problematic eating habits - I assume everyone in the sport does, the only question is to what extent. Raf was supportive of Adam's 3 slices of bread diet. Nathan and Vincent might be built differently than Adam which might make naturally slimmer, but I doubt they maintain that without restricting their diets in some way. Adam (whose idea of a celebration is a salad with creamy dressing) is obviously still very, very conscious of what he eats. But he, along with the other men interviewed, are older and have more perspective. They are far less vulnerable than teenagers.

Everyone? Yikes if that's the case.

Regarding Adam, I wonder if that diet is contributing to his relative lack of power in his skating. I know part of it is skating skills, but the amount of effort he has to put in to go from one side of the rink to the other is really noticeable. I do think he's improved somewhat since 2016 -- so I agree the extra pounds has helped in that regard -- it's notable that his overall stamina has improved since 2016 as well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

andromache

Record Breaker
In interviews Nathan has said he doesn't restrict his diet because he's still growing. This is what he calls a "pre-comp" meal.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQG6CqAFzZO/?hl=en&taken-by=nathanwchen

He closely resembles an older brother who is even thinner than he is.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUniu4yAWh1/?hl=en&taken-by=nathanwchen

Well I guess you aren't able to get all those quads done if you aren't a genetic freak (which I mean in a nice way - Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt are genetic freaks, too).

Meanwhile the photo of that pizza is making me hungry.

beki

Medalist
I think the article was overall constructive, except that it starts people playing the who does or doesn’t have an eating disorder game. We can’t know that. Let’s just say that unhealthy attitudes pervade the sport, which impacts all of the athletes.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the article was overall constructive, except that it starts people playing the who does or doesn’t have an eating disorder game. We can’t know that. Let’s just say that unhealthy attitudes pervade the sport, which impacts all of the athletes.

That's a good way to look at it. Have to admit I'm guilty of the people guessing -- namely out of concern.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I don't get the reluctance to eat protein. A piece of chicken breast, salmon, tuna or shrimp is fine. Fat free and good for you.

Interesting article. I made myself a salad with creamy Caesar dressing after reading it. Nathans pizza looks scrumptious.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Nathan does not restrict his diet, eat lots of carbs to maintain his muscle I guess.
Vincent also said he does not restrict his diet, he is naturally very thin.

EDIT: some info about other skaters

Shoma likes to eat meat, does not like vegetable

Yuna had to force herself to eat meat to keep up her muscle, otherwise she will loose it.

Yuzuru can also very easily maintain a very lean and slim body type.

As far as I know, all these skaters has no issue regarding diet.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan does not restrict his diet, eat lots of carbs to maintain his muscle I guess.
Vincent also said he does not restrict his diet, he is naturally very thin.

EDIT: some info about other skaters

Shoma likes to eat meat, does not like vegetable

Yuna had to force herself to eat meat to keep up her muscle, otherwise she will loose it.

Yuzuru can also very easily maintain a very lean and slim body type.

As far as I know, all these skaters has no issue regarding diet.

Thank you for the information, but I just wanted to insert that you don't need meat to keep up muscle. Meagan Duhamel is the perfect example of that;)

Thanks to Adam for sharing his story and reminding us, and coaches and officials and everyone who should care, that men in this sport are as susceptible to eating disorders as women.

brightphoton

Medalist
"Adam Rippon on Quiet Starvation in Men's Figure Skating"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/sports/olympics/figure-skating-adam-rippon.html

This is probably something that deserves its own thread, but I'm not up to starting the discussion (especially during the Olympics - maybe during the off-season, lol).

Oh yeah, I remember that part of the interview. What a downer.

Poor Adam! He has no money and had to subsist on the free apples that his local gym was giving out. Yes they're free, but it looks socially bad if you stand over the h'oeuvres and mash them into your mouth.

It's not easy being an amateur athlete

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don't get the reluctance to eat protein. A piece of chicken breast, salmon, tuna or shrimp is fine. Fat free and good for you.

Interesting article. I made myself a salad with creamy Caesar dressing after reading it. Nathans pizza looks scrumptious.

Actually, neither tuna nor salmon are remotely fat free, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t eat them. Some dietary fat is essential.