2017 Canadian Nats Senior Mens SP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Mens SP

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally got around to watching the video of Kevin's SP. Yep. One fall and two great jumping passes. And once the footwork started, I was all smiles throughout the whole video. Hugging my laptop. From what I could see, he clearly enjoys that program and it transferred over to me. I'm SO happy for him!

Gosh I need to see him skate next season at least once. I GOTTA.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So this was by far the most disappointing discipline today. All the others showed up and knocked it out of the park.

I am extremely concerned for what will happen to Canadian men's skating after Chan retires next year. We have Chan, and an aging pack of what are never going to be anything but middling skaters. Reynolds does not have the basic skating skills to compete and at this point I think it's fair to conclude that he never will. There are a whole heap of men in the world who now have more and much better quads than he has. Given his injury history, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him retire after Korea as well. Firus has the best skating skills of the bunch behind Chan, but his jumps are way too inconsistent and he's never going to have multiple quads. Balde is another inconsistent jumper and middling skater who's never going to climb the international ladder. I hope, but have serious doubts that Nguyen is going to make it into the form he needs to be in to be a world challenger. He already needed serious and concentrated work on his basic skating skills, but his growth spurt meant that his jumps went AWOL as well. Who else is there that's pushing the boundaries and climbing the ranks? There's almost no time left to fix this problem.

I don't think it's such a disaster. Nadeau has struggled because he was hurt the first part of the season, but he's got a lot of promise. I really liked both Roman and Conrad too and we can't stop talking about Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not in this country he won't. He could go out there and fall fifteen times and still win. I am cool with that.

Very disappointed in Patrick. He really has issues with jumps. But I do think he almost always without a doubt should be like 10 pts higher than the next skater ie Hanyu, Ten, Fernandez on pcs - skating skills are just out of this world. Yes, he will be crucified technically and should be.

In Canada though no one is near him pc wise and tech he isn't that bad. Reynolds was making great strives and Nam had potential but with the growth spurt and change of coach not so sure.

Liam I love the quality of his skating second to Chan here. But technically he just can't compete and it is a matter of time before his marks drop

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Liam wasn't great today... even PCS wise... too many things happened badly for him tonight.

Patrick is the only skater tonight who didn't fall nor pop/UR jumps... yes... he stepped out.. had tight landings... he got minus GOE for those... same would have happened in other events across the world. There is a huge difference in score when his 4T goes from +2 to -2... HUGE... look at the protocols. He skated this program clean at GPF... he got close to 100 for it... his PCS were slightly lower there if I recall....so, if it is true that in Canada he doesn't have much competition, the judges didn't give him such a huge score...
Very disappointed in Patrick. He really has issues with jumps. But I do think he almost always without a doubt should be like 10 pts higher than the next skater ie Hanyu, Ten, Fernandez on pcs - skating skills are just out of this world. Yes, he will be crucified technically and should be.

In Canada though no one is near him pc wise and tech he isn't that bad. Reynolds was making great strives and Nam had potential but with the growth spurt and change of coach not so sure.

Liam I love the quality of his skating second to Chan here. But technically he just can't compete and it is a matter of time before his marks drop

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Liam wasn't great today... even PCS wise... too many things happened badly for him tonight.

Patrick is the only skater tonight who didn't fall nor pop/UR jumps... yes... he stepped out.. had tight landings... he got minus GOE for those... same would have happened in other events across the world. There is a huge difference in score when his 4T goes from +2 to -2... HUGE... look at the protocols. He skated this program clean at GPF... he got close to 100 for it... his PCS were slightly lower there if I recall....so, if it is true that in Canada he doesn't have much competition, the judges didn't give him such a huge score...
I think the big issue is that the scoring system does not do Patrick's skating skills justice. I know there are huge, no uber, no devotees of Hanyu in particular and well the quad craze = I am not sure anyone expected that a few quads could decimate a gifted skating skills skater.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well we agree on that... the top 4 or 5 skaters nowadays pretty much all score the same in PCS... I have only seen 2 of these guys so far... Patrick should be scored much higher than the other ;) in PCS.
I think the big issue is that the scoring system does not do Patrick's skating skills justice. I know there are huge, no uber, no devotees of Hanyu in particular and well the quad craze = I am not sure anyone expected that a few quads could decimate a gifted skating skills skater.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
don't... it's a splat fest :(

It's alright! His performance factor is amazing! I just love watching him. He's become a favorite of mine in the men's field. I hope he gets his jumps together because he's still so young. And getting more and more handsome! Gorgeous body line, laughs! I can watch his short program over and over again despite the mistakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIGNsCSKXfI wish it was in HD, lol.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol... wait for when his shoulders get a bit broader :) but yeah.. from geeky nerdy kid to a handsome young boy.. he didn't do his best today but I expect him to do well tomorrow.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Canadians....I need help! Do any of you have an unblocked version Patrick's SP? The music is blocked here in the states.....:mad:

OK, I was able to see it on DM....Not his best jumping night. However, no other skater can hold on to a performance like Patrick. If there is one thing that Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou of the US could learn from Patrick it is upper body control and posture. In that area Patrick has always been unmatched and continues to be the best I've ever seen. I hope he lays it down big in the LP.....:agree:

Thank you, Yatagarasu. :thank:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do think Kevin would be the best second choice for worlds. I think he's the best chance to get 3 places. But it will be very hard.

I think the problem or challenge is the world caught up and passed him with quads but in 2013 and 2014 even he showed progression. Whether it is his coach or not, Joanne's students have had a horrible time making it into the very big leagues and seemingly reach their full potential. Forget about the axel issues. It is all superstitious and all but something about her it would appear from the "evidence" how her skaters perform and compete they seem to not really do what we think they can. She can only take them so far - I wonder if she knows or think that. Imean you could blame the skaters results on other factors but surely can see this trend. or alternatively shemight be frustrated she hasn't really been able to get a skater on the world podium despite seemingly huge potential.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Nicolas Nadeu definitely has the best 3A of any Canadian men. nice easy looking
He just need that quad

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think unless Liam gets a really good triple axel at the minimum SC will get behind Chan, Reynolds even Nam, Balde, Nadeau and then Sadovsky and all. I admire Liam giving up his spot last year even though it did not work out - not his fault. He should skate for the joy but I was hoping he would get the jumps but obviously it isn't going to happen. now back in 1980 he would beat a Scott Hamilton but this isn't the 1980s (or should beat).

rain

Record Breaker
I think the problem or challenge is the world caught up and passed him with quads but in 2013 and 2014 even he showed progression. Whether it is his coach or not, Joanne's students have had a horrible time making it into the very big leagues and seemingly reach their full potential. Forget about the axel issues. It is all superstitious and all but something about her it would appear from the "evidence" how her skaters perform and compete they seem to not really do what we think they can. She can only take them so far - I wonder if she knows or think that. Imean you could blame the skaters results on other factors but surely can see this trend. or alternatively shemight be frustrated she hasn't really been able to get a skater on the world podium despite seemingly huge potential.

The problem with all of her students is basic skating skills. They don't have them to the elite level necessary. And she has never seemed interested in addressing this deficiency with any of them. That's why they get to a certain point and plateau.