2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Mens SP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Mens SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in any case... i am happy i got to see a bit of this... now i have to go to work :)

cheers!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved Jason's SP! The choreography is creative, unique and interesting! Maybe there's a high kick too much at the end, but fabulous program overall😍 And never thought his ponytail would match his costume so much 😂

I actually enjoy those high kicks but remember that Jason had a back injury previously. Hoping those beautiful kicks don't aggravate his back again. Sure do love his positivity.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Okay, I'm in love.:love: James Lin from Australia. His joy in skating and his SMILE made me immediately think of Katia Gordeeva at age 16.

James captured that music. Everything about it. His flow on the ice and his expansive arm movements made me think "sky" before the lyrics said "sky." Of course, I have that song memorized and sing it as a duet ... but I swear, I wasn't thinking about the next words until he portrayed them so beautifully.

I was taken aback at how young he looks at the K&C. I had thought a blousy top would look better and maybe princely on his lanky frame. I wondered if putting on some weight would prevent him from looking possibly gangly. Now it's obvious he's still growing. I wish him a great future.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Awesome stuff from Shoma! Loving this program. The jumps are pretty solid too for this early in the season, especially that combo. Bringing the heat early. Niice. :)

Jason SP is lovely too -- it gets a bit frenetic with the kicks, but so far it's looking really good.

icetug

Medalist
i am not talking about knowing opera or not... i am talking about knowing Italian lyrics ;)
if a skater is using a song with lyrics, whatever the language, they need to know what it's talking about... IMHO

I think the aria is very well chosen - if we talk about "Tosca" :) A painter is compering two beautiful women. Taking into consideration Deniss's hobby - this is what he can feel or think about while drawing. Nowadays it is so easy to check lyrics that I have no doubts Deniss understands each and every word of the aria.
On the other hand - I am not a fan of "Tosca", but the aria "Recondita armonia" is far better for interpretation for Deniss that, say, "E lucevan de stelle" Denis Ten skated to on last Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think the aria is very well chosen - if we talk about "Tosca" :) A painter is compering two beautiful women. Taking into consideration Deniss's hobby - this is what he can feel or think about while drawing. Nowadays it is so easy to check lyrics that I have no doubts Deniss understands each and every word of the aria.
On the other hand - I am not a fan of "Tosca", but the aria "Recondita armonia" is far better for interpretation for Deniss that, say, "E lucevan de stelle" Denis Ten skated to on last Worlds.

perhaps... then, if he does understand what it is about, he got to reach out and perform it ... as i said, i felt connection in the step sequence, that was very well done... but the first half was ????

so perhaps he was just nervous at first and didn't emote. in any case, i still feel matteo did well with his.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just read whole thread, thak you all for givig me 'prelude' to re-watching marathon:thank:

hopefully I'll post later the first word vomit of the season:laugh:

Art&Sport

Medalist
45. i personally think both scores are a bit high ;) but that's just me.

Well, I don't think PCS are well-defined nor well-judged. Scoring results are largely political and PCS is scored in a way that conveniently massages placements, IMO. The judges tend to keep all skaters within a confined PCS range, with the oddball judge or two being freaky out-of-line either upwards or downwards in how they award points. The top honchos running the sport are clueless and they keep making the judging more complicated rather than better defined. At the rate of the proposed new changes, the kiss 'n cry is going to seem like 15 minutes long for each contestant! LOL

It does seem that they are trying to speed up calling out the warm-ups prior to last skater in previous group receiving scores. But they may have been doing that previously. I just think they need to find ways of cutting competition length down re kiss 'n cry, zamboni breaks, skater intros, etc., rather than shortening program length, which is incomprehensibly dumb.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/4468/CSITA2017_SeniorMen_SP_Scores.pdf

Wow, Brown's PCS is extremely high given he fell and erred on his axel. I'd have Kerry's PCS a bit higher and Jason slightly behind him.

And yikes, Judge 1 clearly didn't have any love for Uno -- +1 on the 3A whereas most gave +3... 8.00 on IN whereas most were 9.25-9.5. Not sure which planet they're from, lol! Meh, even with them being a downer, Uno still beat his personal best. :biggrin: Needs to hit the levels on the spins and footwork (I think people mentioned his footwork doesn't necessarily look level 4) but hey, it's early in the season.

I didn't see Majorov but WOW, so happy for him - especially coming back from injury!

Art&Sport

Medalist
... it gets a bit frenetic with the kicks, but so far it's looking really good.

But when we get our JB kicks, its 'sposed to give us some 'frenetic' rush and thrilling chills! Tee hee! I think endless, overdone arm-flinging with awkward one-foot skating and repetitive spin patterns by some competitors is the blahs. Meanwhile, JB keeps us engaged and interested in what he's doing, and in what he's creating so expressively on the ice.

Shoma moves like butter, and he seems way determined to one-up his nemesis, Hanyu! Nathan is the other nemesis who's in fact going to bring Nemesis energy and creativity to the ice too. :biggrin:

I can see how Shoma has been working hard on improving his jump technique flaws. Some fans still seem to think his edge entries are off, but if so, as usual he tends to camouflage well with his otherwise powerful performance skills.

frida80

Record Breaker
God, the cameraman is definitely in drugs :disapp:

There was a moment just after a skater finished where the cameraman stopped filming the ice and suddenly turned to the aisle. Clearly they didn't coordinate when they would change camera angles or when stop filming. This was terrible!

Art&Sport

Medalist
http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/4468/CSITA2017_SeniorMen_SP_Scores.pdf

Wow, Brown's PCS is extremely high given he fell and erred on his axel. I'd have Kerry's PCS a bit higher and Jason slightly behind him. And yikes, Judge 1 clearly didn't have any love for Uno -- +1 on the 3A whereas most gave +3... 8.00 on IN whereas most were 9.25-9.5. Not sure which planet they're from, lol! Meh, even with them being a downer, Uno still beat his personal best. :biggrin: Needs to hit the levels on the spins and footwork (I think people mentioned his footwork doesn't necessarily look level 4) but hey, it's early in the season.

Ya know, to each their own. Brown deserves a slight edge over Shoma on interpretation and composition, certainly no less than Shoma. Fall on a jump is a technical, not an aesthetic issue. I can see Shoma ahead of Jason on SS and slightly edging him on performance execution. Aside from his slight 2-foot on 3-axel, and fall on the quad, Jason was brilliant on everything else. Also, Jason has quality transitions.

Like I said, Uno moves like butter, and he seems to have developed a bit more free-flowing movement dynamics (at least in this program). When I saw Uno live at SA last year, there was one part of his (I think fp) where he stayed at one end of the ice practically for far too long. Also, passionately over-dramatic facial expressions and swooping arm gestures does not make a skater superior interpretively.

9.25 and above is way too high for Uno on music interpretation! The judges are nut-balls for Uno's smooth ooze over the ice, which make them think he's a genius interpreter of music. LOL. He's not. Those overly high scores on interpretation suggest Uno can not improve much in that area, when he actually does have room for improvement! But yep, that's figure skating judging. No clue about the subtleties, depth and nuances of performance abilities, and varying lack thereof.

Scoring accurately on PCS would still have Uno in front by a lot. But it is what it is re ineptitude and politics on judging panels. Many times the placements do fall in line overall where they maybe should be, but it's often debatable on some specific scoring, etc.

icetug

Medalist
but the first half was ????

It's a confusion :)
Libretto says that a painter who is in love with Tosca sees a beauty of another woman whom he just met.

so perhaps he was just nervous at first and didn't emote.

It was the first performance of the programme so he was certainly nervous. I remember that his first performance last year (at Rostelecom) also wasn't fulfilling, but Deniss was still better with each subsequent competition.

Anyway, he got the 3rd PC score today.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I love Jason, and I really love Hamilton. However, I'm not liking this program. Jason gives it his all, but I don't think his expression and choreography actually matches the tone and lyrical content of the song. It's also a very odd song choice to pick because it's basically multiple characters singing at once in the middle of Act II. Since this is a short program, you would think they'd choose a song that didn't take place more than half-way through the story revolving dialogue and monologues from characters whose motivations we are already familiar with and know.

TMC

Record Breaker
I really loved Jason's SP. It's actually the first SP of his I have loved since Prince. (Or even particularly liked; even though it seemed popular, I never cared for last season's short much, either.) I'm a bit surprised because I wasn't expecting to like it this much, actually - I don't know Hamilton and the bits I'd seen seemed a tad too Broadway for my liking. But now I've seen the choreo in full I can appreciate what Rohene had in mind here. Love it.

Art&Sport

Medalist
jason shouldn't be ahead of deniss here wth

Explain what you mean more precisely. You like Deniss better, you like Deniss' program better. You don't like Jason's skating, or you don't like Jason's music, therefore Deniss should be ahead?

What you said sounds like a knee-jerk statement based on personal preference, unless you explain why you think that.