2017 GP Cup of China Free Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Free Dance

JustMe

On the Ice
Papadakis and Cizeron...wow!!!
Last weekend: Virtue and Moir, wow!
This kind of rivalry--where it could go either way on any given day--is gonna make the olympics so exciting. I wonder if someone will pull out of the GPF?
For those that say that it shouldn't be this close if both skate clean--then your opinion is probably biased (which is fine, just own it, and start every statement with "In my expert, biased opinion, I think that _&_ should always be ahead of _&_ overall because __..." then insert a winking or laughing emoji, and go back to biting your nails (like I'll be doing at the GPF if both teams show up). :biggrin:

ETA: A little off topic, but I can't imagine how P/C and V/M would be judged at this year's GPF under the 6.0 system... :shocked:

Matt K

On the Ice
In a perfect world of each team skating to its full potential, I see the Olympic podium as P/C, V/M and the Shibs. BUT skating is NOT perfect and one bad twizzle, missed lift or misstep on a pattern and that can all change. The top teams are really pushing the limits in terms of difficulty and that's to all our benefit. But the chance of bad luck/bad day cannot be ignored. The fore-mentioned top 3 may be moving towards that finish but I still think it will be an exciting event to see who can produce their very best when it counts most.

The Shibutanis are nowhere close to the level of P/C and V/M at all, at least not last year, and certainly not this year. I know that an American team is itching to win a medal at the ice dance event, but we must stop hyping up every team just because they are the country's only hope.

P/C and V/M are in a league above the rest. Actually, several leagues ahead of every other team. In fact, P/C and V/M could even afford to fall and still be placed above the Shibutanis due to their superior skating skills, interpretation, and talent, which is miles and miles and miles ahead of all others competing in the ice dance scene today. The Shibutanis will be battling with C/L, B/S, W/B, and Hubbell/Donohue. It will be sad for V/M to lose OGM yet again, however, with P/C's performance, particularly in the FD, I would not feel overly robbed or angry if the judges do decide to give them the nod if they skate clean and well like they did here.

As for instagram comments as someone mentioned in this page, there are absolutely horrendous comments on Tessa's instagram account which is absolutely abhorrent and sick! These people should be banned from social media. Probably some aggrieved fans of certain skaters who know nothing about FS anyways. I cannot say for certain, but I actually have a feeling that they may be regular users of these forums. I would not be shocked at all if they post here regularly.

Purv

Match Penalty
We just said that french and chinese federations have ties since many years. Not more. The marks doesn't surprise me given how they skated and Halina was on the panel. Of all judges at CoC only two, possibly three, had other agendas than P/C winning the Olympics. Just watch the protocols.
You're such an uber, I'm glad there's only one like you for PC. We have already too many from VM. Given how you react one would think you're close family.

Halina was on the panel? What is that mean? Technical judges and controllers were from Europe. Is that the point?Actually they only got one L4 in short and one in the free.(i mean step sequences)Whats the big deal?

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
Papadakis and Cizeron...wow!!!
Last weekend: Virtue and Moir, wow!
This kind of rivalry--where it could go either way on any given day--is gonna make the olympics so exciting. I wonder if someone will pull out of the GPF?
For those that say that it shouldn't be this close if both skate clean--then your opinion is probably biased (which is fine, just own it, and start every statement with "In my expert, biased opinion, I think that _&_ should always be ahead of _&_ overall because __..." then insert a winking or laughing emoji, and go back to biting your nails (like I'll be doing at the GPF if both teams show up). :biggrin:

ETA: A little off topic, but I can't imagine how P/C and V/M would be judged at this year's GPF under the 6.0 system... :shocked:

In my non-expert, biased opinion, I think that Gabriella & Guillaume should always be ahead of Tessa & Scott overall because they bring something to the ice that no-one else brings. At only 22 they have already taken their sport to the next level. They are the perfect example of what "X-factor" really is, and that is something a hell of a lot rarer than a certain TV show would have us believe. They have moved beyond Soft Ice Acrobatics (with Pairs as HardCore Ice Acrobatics) and turned it into HardCore Ice Dance. Comparable to ballet or modern dance. With the same in-drawn concentration. In contrast to the 'look at me!!!!'-style that almost all other couples still bring. Not taking away anything from the fabulous athleticism and unbelievable skill and acrobatics that all couples have and show, what Gabriella and Guillaume bring is simply on another plane and therefore very difficult to compare. How do you quantify X-factor? Depth of emotion? Height of vibration? A beauty that reminds us of another world?
So yea, I feel they should always be on top. Even if they fall each three times :laugh: :rofl:
And I'm rather confident that they will be judged higher than V/M this season because of how the programs are. But OK, I'll go back to nailbiting because that was part of the deal. :biggrin:
Honestly, I am really really anxious to see how this turns out, because it will depend on very very small things.

Last edited:

JustMe

On the Ice
In my non-expert, biased opinion, I think that Gabriella & Guillaume should always be ahead of Tessa & Scott overall because they bring something to the ice that no-one else brings.
---
So yea, I feel they should always be on top. Even if they fall each three times :laugh: :rofl:
And I'm rather confident that they will be judged higher than V/M this season because of how the programs are. But OK, I'll go back to nailbiting because that was part of the deal. :biggrin:
Honestly, I am really really anxious to see how this turns out, because it will depend on very very small things.

This seriously made me laugh out loud here at the office :rofl: