2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens SP

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
can i inquire what exactly are you watching?:biggrin:

The English title, or at least the American title, is Silver Spoon.

It's about the spoiled son of a very wealthy Russian oligarch who ends up on the police force solving murders.

Sure, it's a little contrived, but has an excellent format - there's a running background story, but each episode includes a murder story-line that is solved within the episode. It's a guilty pleasure.

I've been drifting to foreign television programs - French, Russian, Spanish, Swedish - more frequently. When I have time to kick back in the recliner and indulge in a little escapism, I'm generally not wasting it on the vapid offerings of American television.

To speak plainly, I find most American programs to be garbage. Out of the vast amount of American networks and programs, I DVR three shows.

MalAssada

Medalist
I have to agree that it's difficult to follow up, especially if you're not familiar with Russian nicknames and are not sure whether people are talking about someone you know or not.. I remember being totally confused when people talked about Zhenia, first because I didn't know that it was a nickname for Evgeni/evgenia, second because I never knew whether it was about Evgeni plushenko, Evgenia medvedeva or Evgenia tarasova ..

Never figured out who Dima is until today neither, always thought that was one of the talented Russian junior ladies.

Also there was a time I thought Masha was just misspelled Misha. Still don't know who that is.

Javi, Pchiddy, Liza and Yuzu are kind of easy, as all are world champions, so people know them and their nicknames are almost like their real names.

Chinese nicknames confuses me too. Tiatian is boyang and junjun is Zijun, Hanie is Han Yan.

Masha is short for Maria. Misha is short for Mikhail.

AKTKN

Rinkside
I´m sorry, but I´ll keep asking about those uncommon and not easy-to-be-guessed names, not trying to remember something so totally unnecessary here.

Please do not combine, abbreviate, or otherwise change the spelling of a skater or team's name.
Even ISU can't spell russian names properly. For example this is how it spells exactly same names: Alexei KRASNOZHON, but Alexey EROKHOV. Would you really able to quess it?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chinese nicknames confuses me too. Tiatian is boyang and junjun is Zijun, Hanie is Han Yan.

It's Tiantian for Boyang and it's has nothing to do with the name. Young Chinese are often affectionately called with a repeat name. Even Patrick is sometimes call Qunqun (pronounced chunchun) from his Chinese name Chen Weiqun. Hannie/Honey (Han is pronounced the same as "hon" part of honey) is what Kurt Browning sweetly called Han and it stuck.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's Tiantian for Boyang and it's has nothing to do with the name. Young Chinese are often affectionately called with a repeat name. Even Patrick is sometimes call Qunqun (pronounced chunchun) from his Chinese name Chen Weiqun. Hannie/Honey (Han is pronounced the same as "hon" part of honey) is what Kurt Browning sweetly called Han and it stuck.
i have never seen honey that wasn't sticky ;) :laugh2:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even ISU can't spell russian names properly. For example this is how it spells exactly same names: Alexei KRASNOZHON, but Alexey EROKHOV. Would you really able to quess it?

To be fair, I think Alex K. used the “ei” ending. I say “used” because much of what I see on English speaking social media recently, his teammates and friends refer to him as “Alex”, so I am guessing he prefers “Alex” now.

And to return to Rostelecom, Grant Hochstein and Caroline Zhang named their kitty Qiu Qiu (ball ball) as a diminutive. And until I heard Grant say it, I never would have guessed it was pronounced “Cho Cho”.

Go Grant!:hap10: Go Deniss V.:hap10:

ETA: And how did I forget, of course Misha who was always Misha!:laugh::clap:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lordy, I know that I contributed to this with my observations on Russian police dramas and the pitiful state of American television... so I plead guilty.

But I hope the mods swoop in to clean up this thread before the competition starts.

We're four pages in, and we've drifted way WAY off topic.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Her mom is Ukrainian.
ah thx I didnt know that!
now I get it. makes sense then.

v interesting! im constantly curious about nicknames for japanese & chinese skaters

The English title, or at least the American title, is Silver Spoon.

It's about the spoiled son of a very wealthy Russian oligarch who ends up on the police force solving murders.

Sure, it's a little contrived, but has an excellent format - there's a running background story, but each episode includes a murder story-line that is solved within the episode. It's a guilty pleasure.

I've been drifting to foreign television programs - French, Russian, Spanish, Swedish - more frequently. When I have time to kick back in the recliner and indulge in a little escapism, I'm generally not wasting it on the vapid offerings of American television.

To speak plainly, I find most American programs to be garbage. Out of the vast amount of American networks and programs, I DVR three shows.
ah interesting! but I havent heard of this one...:laugh: I could only find anime with that name:biggrin:
here the US television constantly considered a far superior to our local:biggrin: I agree in terms of the how its filmed I find this to be true.
If you have some recs do share (not Russian obv but Spanish French etc that you mentioned above):agree: Ill PM you OK? obv its offtopic here:laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well, if the favorites don't skate well they could find themselves off the Podium. I'm pulling for Mikhail because he's at home but, with this many World Team members, there's no way you're going to medal with a weak performance.

Really? I don't think the favourites (i.e. Yuzuru and Nathan) have to worry about finding themselves off the podium. This competition is perfect to try things, like Yuzuru and his Lutz or Nathan with his layout. Any problems they have with their programs and skating - now is the time to have them. There is not a lot of pressure to win, for either of them. And even if they pop half of their jumps, I think it'll be enough for the podium. I assume that Yuzuru will win NHK and Nathan Skate America. So in that way Rostelecom doesn't matter much.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Jackie Wong's practice notes :

Completed: Thursday practice 10:30 a.m.

Kolyada: 2T, 3T, 3Lz, 2S, 3S, 4T3T, 3Lz, 4Lz(hand), 4Lz(step), 1A, 1A, 1A, 2S, 3S, FS runthru (4Lz(fall), marked S, 3A, 4T, 3A(hand), 3Lo, 3Lz2T), 3Lz1/2Lo3S, 1A

Nguyen: FS runthru (3T, 3S, 3A, 3A, 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz), 3A, 3S, 2S, 4S(step), 4T(fall), 2T, 2T, 4T(fall), 4T, 4S(turn,hand)

Lazukin: 3F, 3Lz(turn), 2A, 3A, 3A, 3T, 4T, 4T3T, 4Lo, 4Lo, 4Lo(hangs on), 3T, 3T, 3T, runthru (4T(ftdwn)1T, 1A), 3A, 2T3T

Aliev: 3T, 2A, 3F3T, 3Lz, 3A, 3A(hangs on), 4T, 2T, 3T(turn), 4T3T, FS runthru (4Lz(step), 4T3T, ...), 3A(ur,fall), 3A(ur?), 3A2T, 3F

Samohin: 2A, 3S, marked most jumps in FS runthru, 3T, 2A, 3A, 3A1/2Lo3S, 4S(hand), 4S(ur,fall), 4S(fall), 4T(fall), 4T(fall)

Ten: 4S, 3T, 3T, FS runthru (4S(ur,step), 3T(hand), 3A, marked rest of jumps), 2Lo(step), 2Lo(turn), 3Lo, 3Lo, 3F1/2Lo3S(ur), 2T, 4T(turn)

Hanyu: 2Lz(2ft), 4Lz, 4T3T(hangs on)

Chen: 4F, 3A, 4T, 3Lo, 2Lo(step), 4Lo(fall)

Hochstein: 1Lz, 3Lz3T

Vasiljevs: 3S, 4S(<<,2ft), 4S(<<,2ft)

Kvitelashvili: 4T, 3T

Ge: 2A

http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2017/10/18/2017-rostelecom-cup-practice-notes

yyyskate

Record Breaker
:eek:topic:
For the fun part,
Chinese nickname for a couple of skaters:
Yuzuru: Ox/Bull or grapefruit nickname from anti-fan: human knife/blade
Shoma: beans (as westerner you can interpreted as jumping beans but it is not what it meant :biggrin:) nickname form anti-fans: pox/pimple
Javi: pirate/thief antifan nickname: rice(yes this is the nickname from anti-fan, not the other way around:biggrin:)
Nathan: little three or the third son
Patrick: qunqun or occasionally the second son or brother
Karen: the fourth sister (these are all from lineage of the Chan/Chen family as far as Chinese skating fans are concerned :biggrin:)

Med: plum doll or plum diva, anti-fan nickname: pretty frog or molded frog
zagi: acrobatics baby
Wakaba: new leaf baby or chubby leaf (this is from loving fans not anti-fan)
Mai: 3051
Satoko: No.1 lady

Kostner: Turkey
Asada: Cat or duck(occasionally)
Yuna: swan goose

:biggrin: what did i do... :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i have never seen honey that wasn't sticky ;) :laugh2:

I already said it was sweet and sticky. ;)

yyyskate, many Chinese nicknames in Chinese don't make sense or translate well to non Chinese because they're based on Chinese names. E.g. "Nyu" part of Hanyu is the same pronunciation as bovine, thus his nickname.

Back on topic, it seems from Mr. Wong's report that most Men at this first event are not so ready with their jumps.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I already said it was sweet and sticky. ;)

yyyskate, many Chinese nicknames in Chinese don't make sense or translate well to non Chinese because they're based on Chinese names. E.g. "Nyu" part of Hanyu is the same pronunciation as bovine, thus his nickname.

Back on topic, it seems from Mr. Wong's report that most Men at this first event are not so ready with their jumps.

yes, but as time passes by, Yuzuru's nickname bovine/bull had an another layer of meaning to it as well. Which is you are so good! For example, When Yuzuru get a new SP record in his season debut. his fanclub used the character "bull" to describe that accomplishment .

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
yes, but as time passes by, Yuzuru's nickname bovine/bull had an another layer of meaning to it as well. Which is you are so good! For example, When Yuzuru get a new SP record in his season debut. his fanclub used the character "bull" to describe that accomplishment .

Yeah, bullheadedness does translate. :)

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm ready for it! Yuzu and Chen, Aliev and Kolyada and whatever Stephane has created with Deniss. I'm really looking forward to it!!!!!

Oh yes, and Moris, of course! Team Tutberidze has now found a way with the lads as well :dance:

Nika09

On the Ice
This is the real and probably only chance for Mikhail to get medal and I really hope he will. But I'm also curious about Denis's senior debut.

Good luck everyone, it's gonna be fun!