2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies SP | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies SP

Eclair

Medalist

Maybe we Canadians feel like victims in part due to the notable increase in the number of 'shade-throwers' targeting certain (key) Team Canada members? I'd suggest a 2-part reason/explanation/theory for this increase in 'shade-throwers':

Reason 1: Team Canada's recent success
  • For the 1st(?) time ever, SkateCanada has qualified the largest team for Olympics & Worlds; and Canada is the odds-on favourite to win the 'Team Event' at the Olympics (although, admittedly in close competition with Russia).
    • Could Canada's (somewhat unexpected) recent World's success perhaps be a factor contributing to the seemingly enlarged group of 'shade-throwers'??
Reason 2: Population size (vis-à-vis the other 'top-10' ISU federation countries)
  • Canada has by far the smallest population compared to the other 'top-10' ISU skating federation member countries. In fact, with the exception of the Ukraine, all other 'top-10' federation countries have populations at least double () that of Canada's - see 'multiple' column in table below.
  • If we assume an equal % of skating fans in each country [yes, I know, a wildly unsubstantiated assumption]; and that the 'shade-throwers' (a.k.a. 'haters') of a particular skater (let's use Kaetlyn Osmond as example) are mostly comprised of fans from other countries (e.g. non-Canadian fans), and especially from those countries with 'top-5' world ranked competitive skaters in event disciplines that overlap with 'top-5' world ranked Canadians (...which for our example would include: Russia (), Japan (), and the U.S. ()); then this might help explain the seemingly over-sized group of 'shade-throwers' focused against certain Team Canada members.
    • Could it be that the Canadian fans/defenders (who don't typically take-on the role of 'victim') are simply being overwhelmed numerically!?!

Estimated country population sizes (as of July 1, 2017) for the 'top-10' ISU federations
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_(United_Nations)#cite_note-6

The 'top-10' list is comprised of those countries/federations that qualified for the "team competition" at the 2014 Sochi Olympics
* indicates those countries/federations that host annual Senior Grand-Prix Series events

World Compared to CAN 'Top competitor' event
RankCountryPopulation % of 'Total'%multiple overlap (vs. CAN)
Men, Pairs
3United States*324,459,46313.8%886%9Ladies, Men, ID
9Russia*143,989,7546.1%393%4Ladies, Men, ID, Pairs
11Japan*127,484,4505.4%348%3Ladies, Men
16Germany82,114,2243.5%224%2Pairs
21Great Britain66,181,5852.8%181%2-
22France*64,979,5482.8%177%2ID
23Italy59,359,9002.5%162%2ID
32Ukraine44,222,9471.9%121%1-
38Canada*36,624,1991.6%100%1
-

I don't see how population relates to the hate a skater gets, especially since I'm sure there are more Canadian fans on this Board than French, Ukrainian, German, Chinese etc,. Following your logic, the Australian skaters must get the most hate from people on this forum, because it has the least number of members and a lot of members from 'competitor's country'.

You are right with your first point though. The more successful a skater, the more hate he/she gets. But that's the case with all skaters from all nationality, not an exclusive attribute of Canadian skaters.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I don't see how population relates to the hate a skater gets, especially since I'm sure there are more Canadian fans on this Board than French, Ukrainian, German, Chinese etc,. Following your logic, the Australian skaters must get the most hate from people on this forum, because it has the least number of members and a lot of members from 'competitor's country'.

You are right with your first point though. The more successful a skater, the more hate he/she gets. But that's the case with all skaters from all nationality, not an exclusive attribute of Canadian skaters.

I believe you are missing the point Eclair. With due respect, I don't see any Austalians yet, being threats for OGM's. They are def. on the rise however. As a result, even with a smaller population than Canada, Aussies are not getting the degree of shade that Canadian skaters are these days. "WE" are seen as threats and fear makes people afraid and with that, aggression always follows fear.

Not all Fans react in this manner, and most worldwide are wonderful ambassadors of the sport (Hello Mr. Rice, NoNameFace, Alex D., Mango, to name a few) . But for some "WE" have upset their natural world order, leading to fear, doubts and harsh reactions.

Eclair

Medalist
I believe you are missing the point Eclair. With due respect, I don't see any Austalians yet, being threats for OGM's. They are def. on the rise however. As a result, even with a smaller population than Canada, Aussies are not getting the degree of shade that Canadian skaters are these days. "WE" are seen as threats and fear makes people afraid and with that, aggression always follows fear.

Not all Fans react in this manner, and most worldwide are wonderful ambassadors of the sport (Hello Mr. Rice, NoNameFace, Alex D., Mango, to name a few) . But for some "WE" have upset their natural world order, leading to fear, doubts and harsh reactions.

No my point was the more a 'threat' a skater becomes, the more hate he/she gets. No matter the nationality.
While sowcows point was, that Canadian get so much more hate than skaters from other nationality, which is not true.

matcha

Medalist
Outside of Hicks, Osmond and Craine this was incredibly lacklustre.

Craine's downgrade on the loop was v. strict. And her and Courtney's PCS were quite reserved. Had they skated later, they would've received more.

Shame about Marin, but her skating skills are to die for and she just radiates on the ice.

Hoping bb girl Anna gets the pure unbridled fight she had in her last GP season. She makes me anxious. Glad she was clean on her jumps though, and relaxed in the kiss and cry.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Now I am rewatching the collage on our national TV and when the music and the video are in sync, Kaitlyn's SP was probably the best SP I have ever seen. I don't care what other people or judges says, it is just my personal opinion. Karen's interpretation also looked better on TV.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think Ashley will get a new short after this, if possible. Not sure why, but, for me, the program has lost its impact.

MalAssada

Medalist
I would rather Ashley get a new long. She's already explored everything Moulin Rouge had to offer, by 2018 skating fans will have the choreography by heart.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I was seem the judge scores in the SP ... Let's be honest ... Kaetlyn have a perfect short program for her ... yes and is from last year ... so she already have a year of training the SP... she deserves good scores yes ... but you don't need to underscore the rest of the competicion for her to win ... she doesn't need it ... in the SP she nails it ... in the LP is another story

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Kaetlyn gave an Olympic quality performance. I think Marin's short program has the most promise - really beautifully choreographed moments. Great to see Anna back at the top. Ashley looked slow and not that interested to me (and I love her).