2017 GP Skate Canada Mens SP | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Mens SP

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I love Jason and all but I want to be in the room where the quad happens :slink: (although he doesn't need it for this comp)

Libingbignasca

Spectator
Patrick Chan should receive 10 for skating skills. He should receive the higherst points in skating skills, and everyone alse go down from there. How do you mark the best skating skills in the current man’s skating world? By distiinguish him from the rest.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Read the protocols and then watched Uno's skate afterwards - was very disappointed. I think that this is some gross overscoring. Which is strange, considering that it's a Canadian event and he's vs Chan. But that's what I thought. Those elements shouldn't be receiving the GOE they did and the PCS is quite a bit too high as well. I really can't understand why.

Might as well add this - I thought Chan's step sequence was really weak here. Perhaps it's because I've been watching some old 2010-ish stuff by him recently, but he's nearly twice as slow here. He also only got a lvl 3 for the steps, well deserved in my opinion. Disappointing. Maybe this is the season he really should retire if he doesn't have his steps anymore.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Nobody is saying Shoma and Yuzu don't "create moments on the ice that are amazing". Obviously they do! [...And, one need look no further than the hundreds of 'weeping fans' at the conclusion of every Yuzu program as proof!! Hehe :biggrin:]. However, I don't recall "creates moments" as being listed as one of the many criteria judges are meant to check-off ✅ to justify rewarding a skater under any of the 5 areas that comprise the PCS. Perhaps I'm wrong about this?

:shocked:

I do however recall many references for judges to reward a variety of skating skills, intricate turns, multi-directional movements, etc. ... all elements Patrick has in spades (versus a lot of crosscuts, 2-foot gliding, and more simplistic, uni-directional, repetitive 3-turn 'heavy' connective choreography found in Shoma and Yuzu programs). Of course, clearly for certain field elements (such as ena-bowers and spread eagles) Shoma and Yuzu are the masters! Nevertheless, both are less competent in terms of the intricacy of their connecting steps and basic skating skills when compared to Patrick.

IMHO of course.

I am certainly not one of the weeping fans that you reference above and I don't have rose colored glasses on either. Do I think good skaters are left out of the mix
because they lack a certain number of quads in their programs, yes I do. Do I agree with the current judging system all of the time, no I don't. I just happened to think
that Shoma and Yuzu deserve their marks in the current scoring system. We can agree to disagree here. :biggrin:

These two skaters have huge followers and they do have performances but the edges and such are NOT the quality of Brown or Chan and the distinguishment is so little it is almost worthless especially when both of them are beating Chan and Brown. Chan and Brown will be like 30 or more points behind Shomo or Hanyu and probably not warranted.

But it is pointless because the scoring system has too little room to distinguish pcs, jumps are worth way to much or influence the placements so much with one quad. I am not sure even Fernadez can compete with the quadsters. Chen, Shomo, Hanyu and boyang really are the faves andit means someone like Brown depending on teh day could be left struggling for tenth. Of course can you imagine if one of the quadsters pops two jumps into singles in the sp? Would the judges dare to leave out of the freeskate?

After the 2018 Olympics there will be changes made to the scoring system and hopefully it will benefit all of the skaters.

Skye

On the Ice
I was in love with the caller until he overlooked Patrick's UR on the 3axel. Should have been called. It wasn't hard to spot either as he had a pretty messy landing on it. Consistent judging and so on. If you're strict, then you have to be strict with everyone.

THIS. When it's no secret that judges are already more than generous with GOEs for top skaters, at least the technical panel should be less lenient.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Random thoughts on the morning after:

I think all but two of the men attempted quads. A couple attempted two quads. I thought that was noteworthy. Of course, all the skaters didn't land them, but they're putting the jumps out on competition ice at big events. That's bound to pay some dividends down the road.

Keegan Messing could have been scored higher. He exuded the feel of that music - the embodiment of charm. I hadn't realized his spins were that fast - I've noticed that a lot of spins almost look like they're done in slow motion - especially back camels - and he provides a great contrast as to what a spin SHOULD look like.

I was underwhelmed by Patrick, until I realized the feed I had was not synced with the music. It's much better than I thought.

The feed I had did not give a good view of Shoma's skates during his jumps, and I wish they had. I'm not thrilled with the program, but he skated the heck out of it. In a season where we're getting fresh and relaxed programs from Chan and Chen and others, it seems dated. Still, no real quibbles here.

Brendan's program is great, and this competition didn't allow us to appreciate it.

Every time I see Jason's Hamilton program, I dislike it more. It's not growing on me.

Brezina still breaks my heart.

Samarin surprised me - this is a skater I could come to love.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Shoma has been his most expressive self in the SP, I cannot think of another skater at this level of commitment, not even Hanyu, Jason or Adam. That said, he's still doing mostly 2-ft skating, but with the arm and whole body moves and expressions, the feet have to be relieved of the pressure of constant displacement. I think that's his strategy - to maximize the impact of his expressions, his impeccable rhythm and translation of the music, but ease up on the difficult steps, transitions until the step sequences. Good that it wasn't just crossovers though. Uno's choreographer is very very intelligent in maximizing his impact. Jumps are still pre-rotated, weak and small compared to the other top skaters, but have become more consistent. It makes for a very enjoyable and moving performance which covers his technical flaws, and he's rewarded for this strategy. Even though I would love to see more intricate skating from Shoma, his ability to perform lights out really makes him unique. I think when he pleases audiences and judges like this, he might be the biggest threat to Yuzu, even ahead of Nathan.

Watching Shoma, I really miss Patrick's 4 Seasons, I wish he'll bring it back with simpler tech content, since everyone is bringing back theirs, just for the heck of it. I miss energetic, dynamic Patrick - he has been doing quiet, mellower programs for at least 3 seasons now, but it's the more powerful pieces and complicated rhythm that showcase his SS most for me. My greatest wish is to watch Patrick tackle a warhorse again before he hangs up his skates.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma has been his most expressive self in the SP, I cannot think of another skater at this level of commitment, not even Hanyu, Jason or Adam. That said, he's still doing mostly 2-ft skating, but with the arm and whole body moves and expressions, the feet have to be relieved of the pressure of constant displacement. I think that's his strategy - to maximize the impact of his expressions, his impeccable rhythm and translation of the music, but ease up on the difficult steps, transitions until the step sequences. Good that it wasn't just crossovers though. Uno's choreographer is very very intelligent in maximizing his impact. Jumps are still pre-rotated, weak and small compared to the other top skaters, but have become more consistent. It makes for a very enjoyable and moving performance which covers his technical flaws, and he's rewarded for this strategy. Even though I would love to see more intricate skating from Shoma, his ability to perform lights out really makes him unique. I think when he pleases audiences and judges like this, he might be the biggest threat to Yuzu, even ahead of Nathan.

I think this is a fair point. The judges have thus far shown him more love in PCS than the other tech-master, Nathan Chen.

Of course, Nathan has beaten Hanyu this season, although neither skated cleanly.

If all three skate cleanly, it's going to be ridiculous. And I want to see it.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think this is a fair point. The judges have thus far shown him more love in PCS than the other tech-master, Nathan Chen.

Of course, Nathan has beaten Hanyu this season, although neither skated cleanly.

If all three skate cleanly, it's going to be ridiculous. And I want to see it.

Shoma is also in his third senior season now, while Nathan is in his second. Not to say this plays a big part, but the judges have one more judged season of Shoma. It's building gradually. I know, people dislike the old argument, but if clean, it's still Yuzuru who comes out on top. Yuzuru and Patrick almost have the same score in the SP in this GP. 94 points. And Yuzuru made more obvious errors. He has an amazing scoring potential that I see no other be able to reach. Javi's 109 was the closest.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I only watched Shoma and Daddy Mura. Why Mura went back to last season's SP? His PCS is a bit worrisome, heading to J-Nats with such a field. Shoma's Winter is indeed an Oly medal winning SP, and judges here seemed to agree with me. Job very well done! :clap: That 4F was the best rotated one from him. Just wow. Haven't read all pages but no one complains about his questionable a-la 3.25F last night, am I correct? Then THAT's the good news. :biggrin:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only watched Shoma and Daddy Mura. Why Mura went back to last season's SP? His PCS is a bit worrisome, heading to J-Nats with such a field. Shoma's Winter is indeed an Oly medal winning SP, and judges here seemed to agree with me. Job very well done! :clap: That 4F was the best rotated one from him. Just wow. Haven't read all pages but no one complains about his questionable a-la 3.25F last night, am I correct? Then THAT's the good news. :biggrin:

The 4F certainly had some zip to it, and with excellent flow out of the jump.

But, to quibble, I pointed out in a previous post that the feed I had did not focus on his skates during the jumps.

From what I saw, it was an improvement.

shirfire218

Spectator
Jason Brown has honed skills that most of the other skaters have not been able to while focusing on jumps and those beautiful edges and spins are an important part of the sport. It was heartening to see the skating world coming together to commend him and recognize him for his amazing artistry at the end of last season. Yuzuru Hanyu gave him props at his press conference and many commentators rightfully did too. It's a time when there is a fear of losing those artistic elements to make way for the jumps, and that would be a devastating loss to figure skating. I hope the future changes will be able to smooth things over and help even out some of the disparities that currently exist between tech and artistry, and the scoring system. In the long run, I think that will help figure skating gain some of its former popularity.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Thoughts on expression?

Shoma: I would be happy if I could be one of those athletes who have skilled expressions, more so than jumps, since figure skating isn’t just jumps, it’s about expression, and I want to improve my expressions more than anything, more than my jumps. I can’t even be compared to the skaters sitting by my side, Patrick and Jason, but I want to eventually be someone who can be told, “You express as well as they can.“

From an interview after the short. Source

AngelENTL

On the Ice
From an interview after the short. Source

Thank you for sharing. I love his humility. I wish I could tell him that so many strongly believe that he expresses just as well as they can right now. I think this kid is on his way to becoming the 2018 Olympic Champion.

viennaskater

Medalist
Moonlight Sonata is named from moonlight shining on the Lake Lucerne in Switzerland (even though Beethoven never approved of it.) So Samarin's shirt is the lake with white moonlight reflection.

I didn't like it until I saw it close up and realised what it was, then I liked it. Also loved the programme. He really attacked the elements!