2017 GP Skate Canada Mens SP | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Mens SP

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
This is exactly - and my ONLY - point. I expect Chan to earn his skating skills, transitions and program element scores. That's all fine. But the choreography was relatively simple in the arms and didn't use the music. And yet he outscored Jason Brown in both parts.

I expect Chan fans to think every last score he earns is deserved. But I refuse to apologize for disagreeing with that because I KNOW he can do more with his programs and sometimes DOESN'T. Virtue and Moir have finally earned my respect with their comeback. They were incredible last year and their SD here was equally amazing. They didn't, in my opinion, earn the gold in 2014, and then took it media for judgement.

Chan often does the same thing. He is a BRILLIANT skater, but sometimes comes up with programs that don't work with the music. THIS is one of them.

Agreed. Skating perfection but his program is emotionally empty, his interpretation is lacking, and his performance was non-existent for me at least.

da96103

Record Breaker
Good, he skates his best in that position.

Brendan to go first. Hopefully he won't have time to get nervous and he won't have had to wait for anyone else and he'll go out there and he'll land all three quads and his Pink Floyd will turn out fabulous and he'll score big and make up lots of places. Right? RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!!?

Karne, best you stock up your liquor cabinet. And if Brendan has dual citizenship, he would be disqualified too. (giggles)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Karne, best you stock up your liquor cabinet. And if Brendan has dual citizenship, he would be disqualified too. (giggles)

*mumbles* I can't. Men's FS is at 9:45am here. Or else I would.

Hey, I have dual citizenship apparently. So am I disqualified?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
They say "all these +2 are not justified" it that is what you mean. He actually does not get that many +3s...

I don't understand the point of giving him high GOEs when you see him skating the entire rink to prepare a 3ltz or a 3f-3t while the majority of the other skaters are doing this for quads, just that.

Having saving that no one is doubting his athleticism and flexibility.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Agreed. Skating perfection but his program is empty, his interpretation is lacking, and his performance was non-existent.

At this point I'm just glad I wasn't the only one underwhelmed by it. I thought it might have just been me still numb and heartbroken for Brendan.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I did not mean to insult but that's the exact content minus a 3a that most top ladies these days do. Just saying. I mean we now even have few junior ladies with harder tech content than that. I am sorry if it hurts some fans feelings. But it's the truth. I am sure Jason Brown is a very nice guy. Good luck to him.

You may not have 'meant' to be insulting to Jason but you were. And you did it again in another post further on.

I've nothing more to say.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't understand the point of giving him high GOEs when you see him skating the entire rink to prepare a 3ltz or a 3f-3t while the majority of the other skaters are doing this for quads, just that.

Having saving that no one is doubting his athleticism and flexibility.

I guess I don't think his GOE is that high. It reflects what he does well, and his jumps are certainly pretty. But I don't see his GOEs as that generous. Many skaters get many many more +3s than him (and honestly I do think his spins often are low balled for instance only one of his spins got any +3s here, which seems a bit silly).

I guess i don't see +2 as high... more like what skaters should be going for, but that is just me. I don't think skaters should think +1 is "good enough" for lack of a better way to put it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not mean to insult but that's the exact content minus a 3a that most top ladies these days do. Just saying. I mean we now even have few junior ladies with harder tech content than that. I am sorry if it hurts some fans feelings. But it's the truth. I am sure Jason Brown is a very nice guy. Good luck to him.

Jason Brown is more than a very nice guy. He is a top-notch elite men's skater who is currently third in this comp.

And my feelings aren't hurt by someone trying to insult a man by saying they skate like a girl, rather I'm :rofl2: Saying that a "girl could beat you" is what little boys said in my kindergarten class, and my kindergarten class was a *very* long time ago. Thank heavens that is now sooooo uncool :laugh:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I havent hear of any junior lady with 3 a , but whatever

Neither have I - yet. eta: I was reminded of Rika Kihira's 3A from last year. My bad! But I don't know if any junior lady's quad attempts have been ratified. I need to watch juniors more!

In any event, some seem to feel that if a male skater can't quite pull off a quad then that somehow makes him less than a man in 'MEN's' skating. That's incredibly backwards thinking imo. I don't care if it's 2017. There's no call to demean a skater if he doesn't quite have the skills of the very top skaters by saying his skill set is fine or whatever in a 'ladies' event. That is an incredibly ignorant thing to say. These skaters are out there doing their best at the elite level, which is more than most of us will ever do in this or any other sport. They all deserve some level of respect without insulting them by saying their jumps are better off in a female competition.

Back Ot I thought it was a good men's SP overall. Can't wait for the FS!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Shoma, Patrick, and Jason.

Hugs to Brendan :ghug:.

Best to all twelve men in the FS.

I havent hear of any junior lady with 3 a , but whatever

Rika Kihira of Japan is a junior lady with 3A.

I do not know her full history with 3A, but she rotated 3A at both of her JGPs this season.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Jason Brown is more than a very nice guy. He is a top-notch elite men's skater who is currently third in this comp.

And my feelings aren't hurt by someone trying to insult a man by saying they skate like a girl, rather I'm :rofl2: Saying that a "girl could beat you" is what little boys said in my kindergarten class, and my kindergarten class was a *very* long time ago. Thank heavens that is now sooooo uncool :laugh:

Really! That poster also said he/she didn't like Jason 'filling the rink with his Russian splits' and 'prancing around'. WTH is THAT suppose to mean other than what I'm thinking? :unsure:

linkintank

Rinkside
Jason should have been somewhere closer to Samarin and Messing, imho. I mean Misha Ge, who I would compare him to, got with a better skate only 85 at COR.

I think it's a bit complicated but in my opinion the placements are correct but the scores are a bit off. Jason and Patrick are getting some North American bonus points. It's similar to what Russian skaters get at COR or US skaters get at SA and Japanese at NHK. The most surprising thing of all is that Patrick didn't get better component marks.

linkintank

Rinkside
Congratulations to Shoma, Patrick, and Jason.

Hugs to Brendan :ghug:.

Best to all twelve men in the FS.

Rika Kihira of Japan is a junior lady with 3A.

I do not know her full history with 3A, but she rotated 3A at both of her JGPs this season.

There are two Russian junior ladies with quads and a junior lady training a 3A. The ladies are going to start having quads in their program within the next olympic cycle.

Purv

Match Penalty
There are two Russian junior ladies with quads and a junior lady training a 3A. The ladies are going to start having quads in their program within the next olympic cycle.

Let those girls grow up and train in peace