2017 GP Skate Canada Mens SP | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Mens SP

mrrice

Record Breaker
A brilliant evening of skating by the Men. I really liked all of them. Congratulations to a quadless Jason Brown for placing 3rd. Patrick and Shoma were both fantastic and though I wish the scores were closer between the 2, I think they are both off to a wonderful start for the Olympic Season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*raises an eyebrow at the level 3 change camel on Jason's protocol* Say what now?

Also, -1 for the change sit? Huh?

All level 4 spins and level 3 steps for Brendan at least. *curls up*

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A brilliant evening of skating by the Men. I really liked all of them. Congratulations to a quadless Jason Brown for placing 3rd. Patrick and Jin were both fantastic and though I wish the scores were closer between the 2, I think they are both off to a wonderful start for the Olympic Season.

Er, you need to change a name there.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
*raises an eyebrow at the level 3 change camel on Jason's protocol* Say what now?

Yeah i saw that... i really would love to know the logic on that one.

slider11

Medalist
Great SP! Shoma delivered as expected with a traditional but well skated and performed classic. I loved Patrick's piece of music...he moves like dust in the wind! And Jason....what a performance! Many might not know the story of Hamilton or its popularity in the US but you had to enjoy the movement to this highly entertaining piece. Bravo top 3!

da96103

Record Breaker
Yikes you can make carrot soup with Jun's URs! And I'm just breathing a huge sigh of relief because not to be mean, but I was totally expecting Samarin to be gifted PCS because of his jumps but that didn't happen so I'm quite pleased.:p

It's carrot cake, too enticing for the skaters not to buy Amano's delicious but sometimes malicious carrot cake.

notonmylife15

On the Ice
Then your judgement of interpretation and true choreography is badly skewed. :sarcasm:

How so? As I've pointed out, Chan isn't really using the music here. There were also numerous instances where he did the arms out wide to highlight the "drama" of the program. I actually LIKE Chan as a skater, but I think this program missed the mark in terms of interpretation. The spins just happened to be spinning and the changes did not match the music, either.

My thing with Jason's program is that he used every beat of the music well, and the choreography went RIGHT with the music. Not only that, every single element in the program was highlighted inside of the music, versus the issues with Chan's spins not matching up well.

Here's my question: how come I got warned for teasing a Canadian fan about "inflation" but you get away with insulting my "judgement"? :scratch2:

Seriously, though, I think there are room for a lot of different opinions about choreography. Personally, I was thrilled to see Shoma Uno win the short. THAT was the program of the night in my opinion.

Kara

Final Flight
It's carrot cake, too enticing for the skaters not to buy Amano's delicious but sometimes malicious carrot cake.

I'm making it a soup and an especially salty one at that with my sad tears for mah boi.:cry:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah i saw that... i really would love to know the logic on that one.

I'd say it had to be an error but the -1 button is so far from the +3 button that I'm not sure how it could be.

whatif

Medalist
No call to insult Jason. Not cool. :disapp:

I did not mean to insult but that's the exact content minus a 3a that most top ladies these days do. Just saying. I mean we now even have few junior ladies with harder tech content than that. I am sorry if it hurts some fans feelings. But it's the truth. I am sure Jason Brown is a very nice guy. Good luck to him.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Lord Samarin, you're in time to change your coach and choreographer.

He has beautiful jumps, just teach him some skating skills, and give him a program that is less tacky as this one.

I'm so sick of this Kovtun's style of packaging from CSKA.

*raises an eyebrow at the level 3 c

hange camel on Jason's protocol* Say what now?

There is also a -3 on Samarin's 4T which i don't understand.

The judging was a little crazy here but overall i do agree with the placements.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Patrick, his program had tear drop potential!

I got chills, myself. It probably didn't hurt that I've loved the song since it came out.
I'd gotten caught up in a project and forgotten all about the men - fortunately I made it in time for the last 3 skates. Three completely different skaters with three completely different programs. All three did a great job today. I'll show up in time for the free skate!
Oh, and I love the way you spell "Elizabeth" - very different! :)

notonmylife15

On the Ice
How is it possible that Jason Brown gets better scores than Samaria with a 4quad combo

Because Jason got mostly +2 and +3 GOEs on the elements other than the triple axel, where as Samarin got dinged on two jumps and got mostly 0 to +1 for his GOEs.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I find Patrick's sp much more enjoyable for me.

Jason music and program is too cheesy

IA - cheesy and kinda contrived, tho' not denying he has good skating skills. But that hair / ponytail makes him look like a 50 year old man!

da96103

Record Breaker
What happened to Patrick's 4S? Shouldn't he be putting it out in competitions? Olympics is 4 months away.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How so? As I've pointed out, Chan isn't really using the music here. There were also numerous instances where he did the arms out wide to highlight the "drama" of the program. I actually LIKE Chan as a skater, but I think this program missed the mark in terms of interpretation. The spins just happened to be spinning and the changes did not match the music, either.

My thing with Jason's program is that he used every beat of the music well, and the choreography went RIGHT with the music. Not only that, every single element in the program was highlighted inside of the music, versus the issues with Chan's spins not matching up well.

Here's my question: how come I got warned for teasing a Canadian fan about "inflation" but you get away with insulting my "judgement"? :scratch2:

Seriously, though, I think there are room for a lot of different opinions about choreography. Personally, I was thrilled to see Shoma Uno win the short. THAT was the program of the night in my opinion.

Less is more with Chan's understated program. There are so many things that are done in those movements and edgework that speak for themselves to pros. Everything doesn't always have to be boom bash smash in your face and jump and kick all over the place to get the job done.