2017 GP Skate Canada Mens SP | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Mens SP

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Anyone who tries to use "so and so skates like a girl" as an insult doesn't deserve any consideration or respect.

Jason's team was smart- there was no point in trying the quad here with this field. If he doesn't try it in the free I'll be surprised- he landed a good one in practice.

da96103

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Shoma, Patrick, and Jason.

Hugs to Brendan :ghug:.

Best to all twelve men in the FS.

Rika Kihira of Japan is a junior lady with 3A.

I do not know her full history with 3A, but she rotated 3A at both of her JGPs this season.

Doesn't Kihira also have a 4S in practice? Did she land any in competition?

notonmylife15

On the Ice
I admit when I'm wrong.

Went back and re-watched Chan's program. I don't know if the audio/visual was out of sync on the first watch or if I was just irked with the repeated arm spreads, but on second viewing, I liked it a LOT better.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am somewhat saddened, perplexed, frustrated and disappointed. First, Jason Brown part of me says in some ways I hope he does not land the quad because his skating is so beautiful and really I don't want him to just fl uke it when others have been far more consistent. Shoma -great job but it saddens me deeply that a good skater (I mean skater not jumper or technician necesarily); there is no point in be a good skater - someone who is show and does the jumps will kill you. Look at Chan even with a riskier program he barely beats Brown - his lead over Chan in pcs is so tiny and undeserved - Chan should be up by more. It is just so messed up. Pcs really don't have the role they once played. The technican/jumper can win more easier and if you land the jumps your pcs raise too. Now you have the opposite of what was once fodder here - now you have jumpers who win regardless of skills. I wonder if Chan just might retire and give up before the olympics because the message is clear- there is so little to decipher or distinguis pcs. and yet quad jumps can change thelandscape. For the risk that Chan takes next to Brown it seems hardly worth it. I really like Jason and Patrick's work but neither of than can truly compete with the jumpers and the pcs are outrageously high for them including Hanyu and Uno. They are good but shouldn't be scoring this highly. I have to say people should not be arguing that Skate Canada if pro Canada. That is hardly the case this year.Chan and Osmond were not given any gifts at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^Well I have to disagree Shoma and Yuzu are not only jumpers imo they combine both and create moments on the ice that are amazing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are two Russian junior ladies with quads and a junior lady training a 3A. The ladies are going to start having quads in their program within the next olympic cycle.

One current junior who supposedly 'has' a quad is 13 and hasn't come close to rotating one in competition. As for quads becoming common, physical growth and maturity will intervene: once those young juniors develop hips, triples and 3/3s that were once easy become challenging, never mind 3As and quads.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
:unsure:

Rika Kihira? You haven’t heard of her? Had her 3A rarified last year at age 14.

Speaking only for myself, I've certainly heard of Rika! and I had a brain freeze! I don't watch the juniors much but I forgot about her 3A last year! It's hard for me to watch juniors. I get too emotionally invested, then one after the other (so it seems) break my heart once they get to the senior ranks...

I don't know if any junior lady has had a quad ratified. I've seen attempts and videos in practice. Has any junior lady had a quad ratified??

Anyone who tries to use "so and so skates like a girl" as an insult doesn't deserve any consideration or respect.

Jason's team was smart- there was no point in trying the quad here with this field. If he doesn't try it in the free I'll be surprised- he landed a good one in practice.

True! I was caught off guard when I saw those obnoxious remarks. Out of left field they came and I did not expect them in this forum in 2017. Should've just ignored it.

Agreed on Jason's team's strategy! In fact - Some times I wish Mirai had taken that route for the SP and left the 3A for the FS. Unlike Jason, she's not saved by PCS scores if something goes wrong with the jumps. When it comes to the hard jumps you've got to be at near 100% I think in practice before you put it out there in a SP.

sowcow

On the Ice
^^Well I have to disagree Shoma and Yuzu are not only jumpers imo they combine both and create moments on the ice that are amazing.

Nobody is saying Shoma and Yuzu don't "create moments on the ice that are amazing". Obviously they do! [...And, one need look no further than the hundreds of 'weeping fans' at the conclusion of every Yuzu program as proof!! Hehe :biggrin:]. However, I don't recall "creates moments" as being listed as one of the many criteria judges are meant to check-off ✅ to justify rewarding a skater under any of the 5 areas that comprise the PCS. Perhaps I'm wrong about this?

:shocked:

I do however recall many references for judges to reward a variety of skating skills, intricate turns, multi-directional movements, etc. ... all elements Patrick has in spades (versus a lot of crosscuts, 2-foot gliding, and more simplistic, uni-directional, repetitive 3-turn 'heavy' connective choreography found in Shoma and Yuzu programs). Of course, clearly for certain field elements (such as ena-bowers and spread eagles) Shoma and Yuzu are the masters! Nevertheless, both are less competent in terms of the intricacy of their connecting steps and basic skating skills when compared to Patrick.

IMHO of course.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Samarin almost-4l-something technique is awfull and it got called clean.... the same for Shoma's almost-4f-something.

Eclair

Medalist
I was in love with the caller until he overlooked Patrick's UR on the 3axel. Should have been called. It wasn't hard to spot either as he had a pretty messy landing on it. Consistent judging and so on. If you're strict, then you have to be strict with everyone.

I'm sorry Patrick but I'm not a fan of his SP. I thought he had learned from last year that laid back SP's are not his thing. I have to admit if I had to choose between jazzy Lori SP's and lackluster Marina SP's, I favor Lori.

I like Shoma's 4 Vivaldi SP though. Cha's UR calls were absolutely spot on. His PCS could have been higher though. At least give Cha similar PCS as Brezina and Hendrixx.
I'm sad Mura changed his clubbing SP. That was a crowd favorite. Samarin's program started so well with the Moonlight Sonata, then a random pop song got mixed in. Why? Why not just leave out the Beethoven part if it's only for the first 3 seconds?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

These two skaters have huge followers and they do have performances but the edges and such are NOT the quality of Brown or Chan and the distinguishment is so little it is almost worthless especially when both of them are beating Chan and Brown. Chan and Brown will be like 30 or more points behind Shoma or Hanyu and probably not warranted.

But it is pointless because the scoring system has too little room to distinguish pcs, jumps are worth way to much or influence the placements so much with one quad. I am not sure even Fernadez can compete with the quadsters. Chen, Shoma, Hanyu and boyang really are the faves andit means someone like Brown depending on teh day could be left struggling for tenth. Of course can you imagine if one of the quadsters pops two jumps into singles in the sp? Would the judges dare to leave out of the freeskate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, Shoma was awesome!!! I really enjoy the entity of this program so much....

Chan´s skating I always enjoy to watch, but his music was not great as skating music, IMO. This music is something I´d love to listen late in the evening for relaxation before going to bed.

With this panel it was wise for Brown to leave his in best cases under-rotated/two-footed "quad" out, IMO. Well, the panel will be the same at the freeskate, I believe.

Have to go and watch the rest now.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
The music for Patrick's SP is perfect. It's a style of program completely different from anyone else, except maybe Ziegler/Kiefer. It's so beautiful. Hugo thought so too.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I ended up falling asleep before the men began last night so I'm catching up on videos.

Congrats to Shoma for winning the SP (as if he wouldn't). This was probably the best 4F I've seen from him to the point I actually enjoyed the jump past its technique. And the upgrade to his costume from grey to black pants makes such a difference; like it so much more now. Winter is continuing to be a beautiful, intense program and improving with each outing. If he'd hit that 4T3T combo, he'd have likely scored around 106+ and he will definitely improve and get up to 108-109 by GPF/Olympics if he keeps delivering like that. And I think he will. Whatever the reason, mentality, technique, stamina, effective training, doing a lot of shows during the off-season, I believe Shoma is going to be the most consistent man in the field this season because he delivers when it counts.

And what was that plushie he got? Looked like a chicken leg? What? :laugh:

Patrick's SP is absolutely lovely to watch though I think I prefer his FS (it gets me more emotional). The 3A is still his curse and this time even his powerful 4T3T failed him a bit. But other than those blemishes, it is always such a joy to watch Patrick. What he does with his feet is phenomenal.

Regarding PCS, Winter does seem to allow for more intense and outward projection from Shoma than Dust in the Wind allows from Patrick. Shoma also does have great edges and speed and the knee bend action that allows for that flow I love in my favorite skaters but I still wouldn't have put him at only 0.10 difference in SS from Patrick. However, Patrick was a bit sloppier and aside from the -3T pop, Shoma was clean, so I guess I can see why Shoma surpassed him in overall PCS.

Surprised neither Patrick or Shoma got level 4 on their steps, though. Davis/Okabe are tough tech panelists.

Jason, for the first time, convinced me about his SP. I'm still completely unaware of whatever context it has as it relates to the Hamilton musical, which I've never seen, but unlike Lombardia, I actually enjoyed his SP a lot more even without context this time around. I don't know why. Maybe sound, lighting, watching it on youtube instead of a paltry stream in real time, but I did enjoy it more. Still not my favorite music choice but he really sells the program and you notice how much he enjoys it. Pity about the 3A turnout. Also, bonus points for him in the K&C. I always get a huge smile watching him there.

Looking forward to the FS today, which I'm likely to fall asleep on again... :palmf:

I still need to watch the other guys but from the protocols, Jun Hwan didn't have a good day. :(