2017 Jr Worlds Mens FS | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Mens FS

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Thank you to Kazuki for increasing Japan's JGP spots for next season. :)

mcq

Record Breaker
I was asking because the World Rankings/Season Rankings seem to have been updated with the JWC results already and Jun Hwan Cha isn't anywhere near 24 (he's 55 in World Ranking and 27 in Season's Ranking) and the juniors won't have any more chances to increase their points, I don't think.

World Rankings
Season Rankings

No no. World standings and season best is a different thing. This is season's best
He is 23rd, which is sliiiightly almost off, but he is guaranteed one at the very least.

ETA : He can still improve his season's ranking too btw. By enrolling in senior competition before this season ends. There are still some like triglav trophy etc. Though I don't know how much he will get point-wise and if it is counted.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ms Sharkina, the Russian judge was quite strict with everyone...especially with Samarin. But she gave relatively good scores for Cha.
Interesting.

Sharkina wasn't on the FS panel.

FS judges:

1 Masako KUBOTA JPN
2 Albert ZAYDMAN ISR
3 Ekaterina SEROVA BLR
4 Ursula STAHL AUT
5 Agita ABELE LAT
6 Yuri GUSKOV KAZ
7 Sung-Hee KOH KOR
8 Salome CHIGOGIDZE GEO
9 Pirjo ELO FIN

Sharkina was #4 on the SP panel. Stahl is #4 on the FS panel.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No no. World standings and season best is a different thing. This is season's best
He is 23rd, which is sliiiightly almost off, but he is guaranteed one at the very least.

The SB list will update again after Worlds, so we'll have to wait and see where Cha winds up then.

mcq

Record Breaker
The SB list will update again after Worlds, so we'll have to wait and see where Cha winds up then.

It will. I think he will still get at least 1 though. Not all the spots would be filled even if all the top 24 is given 2 spots. So he would be up next. for consideration. I am certain he would get 1 and inclined to think he eventually will get 2.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Congrats to all medalists and to all competitors on a very closely fought and well-skated competition.

My baby Jun Hwan didn't medal, but considering he switched his layout to add another quad halfway through the season, it was a great skate, and I have no doubt he will eventually be rewarded for the component scores that he deserves. I think finishing 5th only softens the pressure he'll face next season, and also gives him that added motivation. I'm sure he'll have more quads and better programs for us next year. He's also the youngest competitor in the top 10, so he's got the most time to improve. He's gained lots of fans this season, I'm sure. I look forward to tracking his development. :dance:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

ETA : He can still improve his season's ranking too btw. By enrolling in senior competition before this season ends. There are still some like triglav trophy etc. Though I don't know how much he will get point-wise and if it is counted.

Ah, it's Season's Best! Okay, now it makes sense. That's why I was asking about the total score earlier but got confused when you mentioned World Standings too. So Season's ranking isn't used to determine GP spots, then?

mcq

Record Breaker
Ah, it's Season's Best! Okay, now it makes sense. That's why I was asking about the total score earlier but got confused when you mentioned World Standings too. So Season's ranking isn't used to determine GP spots, then?

It's world standing not season's ranking for GP placement. I think for details you can read it here

It will only be calculated by the end of the season. And determined at the isu congress around july/august. But 1 is almost a lock for him.. Usually once the season end someone would make a thread about GP spots calculation. :biggrin: Petrov actually already competed at 2 senior GP events for 2 season straight and also Europeans last season, i don't know why he went back to junior world to be honest.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Where is Yamamoto Sota when Japan needs him so much? Has he been battling injuries or something?

He's not back from war yet :(
(Injuries made him skip nats so he couldn't qualify although he actually was suppose to turn senior this season)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
So happy for Vincent. He is growing into a tall skater, and will take longer time to settle his growth. So far, he manages very well.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had lost interest in this event after Torgeshev and my adopted skater from Georgia failed to qualify for final.

I peeked back to see what could have generated 40+ pages on a junior event. I'm glad i did.

I watched Vincent's video. That 4Z was something really special. It almost looked like a delayed rotation on it, so it must have been HUGE to get it around fully.

I'm glad he won. It sounds as though it was deserved.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Updated this in the 2018 Spots thread, but posting here for convenience too

2018 World Junior Championships: Men

2017 Men's results: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wjc2017/CAT001RS.HTM

3 Spots

USA (1 + 8 = 9)
Russia (2 + 3 = 5)

2 Spots

South Korea (5 + 16 = 21)
Israel (6 + 16 = 22)
France (7 + 18 = 25)
Japan (9 + 14 = 23)
Ukraine (10, only skater) - up from 1 skater
Canada (12 + 13 = 25) - down from 3 skaters

2017-2018 Junior Grand Prix: Men

A: 2 Entries in 7 Events - Top 3 highest placing countries

(1) USA
(2) Russia
(3) South Korea

B: 1 Entry in 7 Events - Countries 4th-6th, eligible for any unused spots from A, B, or C to add a second skater to an event

(4) Israel
(5) France
(6) Japan

C: 1 Entry in 6 Events - Countries 7th - 10th

(7) Ukraine
(8) Italy
(9) Canada
(10) Great Britain

1 Entry in 5 Events - Countries qualifying for FS, 11th and lower

Taipei, Norway, Estonia, China, Czech Republic, Germany

1 Entry in 4 Events - Countries with skaters placing 25th-30th in the SP

Turkey, Mexico, Australia

1 Entry in 3 Events - Countries with skaters placing 31st or lower in the SP

Sweden, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Switzerland, Georgia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Spain, Latvia, Poland, Hungary, Malaysia, Monaco, Finland, South Africa

All other countries wishing to send Men's skaters to the JGP can send 1 entry to each of 2 events.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think we can say that a new era in US Men's skating is taking place right in front of our eyes. For years the US Men have been behind the rest of the world when it came to quads but the younger guys saw in the last few years that wasn't going to cut it anymore and now we are seeing them push themselves at a younger age to learn to do quads and it's paying off bigtime. :rock:

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
Updated this in the 2018 Spots thread, but posting here for convenience too

2018 World Junior Championships: Men

2017 Men's results: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wjc2017/CAT001RS.HTM

3 Spots

USA (1 + 8 = 9)
Russia (2 + 3 = 5)

2 Spots

South Korea (5 + 16 = 21)
Israel (6 + 16 = 22)
France (7 + 18 = 25)
Japan (9 + 14 = 23)
Ukraine (10, only skater) - up from 1 skater
Canada (12 + 13 = 25) - down from 3 skaters

2017-2018 Junior Grand Prix: Men

A: 2 Entries in 7 Events - Top 3 highest placing countries

(1) USA
(2) Russia
(3) South Korea

B: 1 Entry in 7 Events - Countries 4th-6th, eligible for any unused spots from A, B, or C to add a second skater to an event

(4) Israel
(5) France
(6) Japan

C: 1 Entry in 6 Events - Countries 7th - 10th

(7) Ukraine
(8) Italy
(9) Canada
(10) Great Britain

1 Entry in 5 Events - Countries qualifying for FS, 11th and lower

Taipei, Norway, Estonia, China, Czech Republic, Germany

1 Entry in 4 Events - Countries with skaters placing 25th-30th in the SP

Turkey, Mexico, Australia

1 Entry in 3 Events - Countries with skaters placing 31st or lower in the SP

Sweden, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Switzerland, Georgia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Spain, Latvia, Poland, Hungary, Malaysia, Monaco, Finland, South Africa

All other countries wishing to send Men's skaters to the JGP can send 1 entry to each of 2 events.

Interesting. I'm pretty positive that Korea doesn't have 7 junior men to send, then those unused spots go to Israel? Does Israel have that many junior skaters?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Interesting. I'm pretty positive that Korea doesn't have 7 junior men to send, then those unused spots go to Israel? Does Israel have that many junior skaters?

You never know. JGP doesn't have a score minimum so if Korea wants to send a bunch of newbie age-eligibles skater to get experience, they could. Kazakhstan did that this season with their Ladies' spots that Tursynbaeva earned them, where USA would have been the first beneficiary of any unused spots.

But yes, Israel would have first claim on any unused spots. They don't have a lot of skaters, period, so it's highly likely that more spots would get passed to France and/or Japan.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Sharkina wasn't on the FS panel.

FS judges:

1 Masako KUBOTA JPN
2 Albert ZAYDMAN ISR
3 Ekaterina SEROVA BLR
4 Ursula STAHL AUT
5 Agita ABELE LAT
6 Yuri GUSKOV KAZ
7 Sung-Hee KOH KOR
8 Salome CHIGOGIDZE GEO
9 Pirjo ELO FIN

Sharkina was #4 on the SP panel. Stahl is #4 on the FS panel.

Thank you for the correction. :eek::
I'm not surprised about Ms Stahl, she is usually strict.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You never know. JGP doesn't have a score minimum so if Korea wants to send a bunch of newbie age-eligibles skater to get experience, they could. Kazakhstan did that this season with their Ladies' spots that Tursynbaeva earned them, where USA would have been the first beneficiary of any unused spots.

But yes, Israel would have first claim on any unused spots. They don't have a lot of skaters, period, so it's highly likely that more spots would get passed to France and/or Japan.

France doesn't have that many junior men---at least not that many that the PTB are willing to send out to competitions.

So likely Japan will get whatever spots Israel and/or France can't fill.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great, I have to watch Vincent Zhou's FP on Daily Motion because companies think like preschoolers and don't like to share when people post videos of figure skating with music that they own....

Rissa

Record Breaker
I think we can say that a new era in US Men's skating is taking place right in front of our eyes. For years the US Men have been behind the rest of the world when it came to quads but the younger guys saw in the last few years that wasn't going to cut it anymore and now we are seeing them push themselves at a younger age to learn to do quads and it's paying off bigtime. :rock:

It's a new era not only in US Men's skating, but in Men's skating in general, since Boyang. The current crop of juniors continue the trend of massive tech progress started by Boyang and continued by Shoma and Nathan. Juniors with 2 or 3 quads? What's next?