2017 Rostelecom Cup onsite reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Rostelecom Cup onsite reports

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
Rockerskating is raving about MIRAI. Apparently triple axel looks great and her jumps are super solid right now. MEDVEDEVA fell in program run through.

Barb

Record Breaker
The starting order for GP events is based on world ranking.

so, I guess in dance it will be:

First group

1. Betina POPOVA / Sergey MOZGOV
2. Nicole KUZMICHOVA / Alexandr SINICYN
3. Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR
4. Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC
5. Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS

Second group

6. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
7. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER
8. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
9. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
10. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsdance.htm

---------

eta. it is official http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/SEG007.HTM

Barb

Record Breaker
It seems that Denis T. has many fans in Rostelecom cup, there are many banners with his name in the arena :rock:.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
whew, that's A DRESS, there's a lot going on, but I already love the pink/orange gradient effect on the bottom part, I kind of wish - being just first impressions - that the whole dress was in that effect with less sparkle, but I admire the elaborate, detailed work on the bodice:), honestly, I'd go more for 'colour clash' than 'sparkle overload' (e.g. making Maia's dress in orange/pink with some less sparkle, or just a sparkle detail on straps, lining and then hit it hard with red shirt for Alex, but that's just me:laugh:)

I love the colours and the skirt, but I agree, I think it would work better with a bit less sparkle (even though I love sparkle) and more colour on the top. I'd also prefer it without the long sleeves. And I like the idea with Alex's shirt and having the coloured stones on it, but from a distance it just looks like a nude top, so I wish it had more colour.

pearly

Record Breaker
A question for anyone who knows ice dance well - why do ice dancers always wear their competition costumes to official practices? I've noticed more and more figure skaters are doing it these days, but ice dancers have been doing it for years and without exception.

mrrice

Record Breaker
A question for anyone who knows ice dance well - why do ice dancers always wear their competition costumes to official practices? I've noticed more and more figure skaters are doing it these days, but ice dancers have been doing it for years and without exception.

I think it has to do with preparing for how the forces will effect the flight of their costumes. It might sound weird but, there are some arena's that are drafty and this will make a chiffon skirt fly in ways it doesn't in others. There's nothing worse than having your skate get caught in the flowing skirt of your partner. Also in dance, skaters will use their costumes like a prop and that must be practiced in real time at the arena. Example.....http://www.mexican-clothing-co.com/image-files/jalisco-mexico-clothing-300x340.jpg

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Sometimes they have practice outfits in similar styles so they get the feeling of the costume without actually wearing it. Tessa Virtue often wears practice dresses similar in style to one of her competition ones. She had a simple pale pink practice dress at worlds, a blue dress similar in cut to her SD dress at Autumn Classic and a simpler version of her Prince jumpsuit in black, also at worlds.

Barb

Record Breaker

I think because ice dance costumes usually are more elaborate than singles costumes. Especially girls take more risk with their dresses, they are long, sometimes they add too much cloth, sometimes very little cloth :laugh:, etc.

pearly

Record Breaker
I think because ice dance costumes usually are more elaborate than singles costumes. Especially girls take more risk with their dresses, they are long, sometimes they add too much cloth, sometimes very little cloth :laugh:, etc.

Yes, but that is why you do several run thrus in your competition dress back home before traveling to a competition. I was wondering about official practices in particular.

Mrrice, I recall working at competitions where dances wore competition outfits at practice rinks as well as main rinks (I was a synchro skater and when we were younger sometimes worked at figure skating competitions when they needed extra staff). Any ideas? Why not save the "wow" factor for competition as we do in other disciplines?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, but that is why you do several run thrus in your competition dress back home before traveling to a competition. I was wondering about official practices in particular.

Mrrice, I recall working at competitions where dances wore competition outfits at practice rinks as well as main rinks (I was a synchro skater and when we were younger sometimes worked at figure skating competitions when they needed extra staff). Any ideas? Why not save the "wow" factor for competition as we do in other disciplines?

When I was touring, we had what we called our "Blingless" costumes which were basically an un-beaded, un-sequined, and featherless version of our real costume. There are certain lifts and moves that need to be practiced in costume. We always wore our head pieces during run throughs because they can be difficult to work around and you need to get used to them.