karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*keeping a quiet eye on the entry list*

Arianne

On the Ice
Just wondering if anyone know about the entries for Skate Detroit. Is it still too early? So excited!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just wondering if anyone know about the entries for Skate Detroit. Is it still too early? So excited!!!

too early. Deadline for entries is 11:59 PM EASTERN on Tuesday May 30

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Did any well known skaters go last year? (was this a thing last year?)

Yes this is usually "a thing"

Among the Senior competitors last year were Bradie Tennell, Veronik Mallet, Chase Belmontes, Alexander Bjelde, Tim Dolensky, Alex Johnson, Daniel Kulenkamp, Keegan Messing, Nic Nadeau, Roman Sadovsky, Bennet Toman, Calalang/Sidhu, Jones/Reagan, Denney/Frazier, Smith/Reiss, Suzaki/Kihara.

Nathan13

Medalist

Among the Senior competitors last year were Bradie Tennell, Veronik Mallet, Chase Belmontes, Alexander Bjelde, Tim Dolensky, Alex Johnson, Daniel Kulenkamp, Keegan Messing, Nic Nadeau, Roman Sadovsky, Bennet Toman, Calalang/Sidhu, Jones/Reagan, Denney/Frazier, Smith/Reiss, Suzaki/Kihara.

Thanks, I've never heard of it before.

Maybe Gracie will go this year considering its not too far from her?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's as close as you can get. Canton (Gracie's rink) and Bloomfield Hills are both in the Detroit metropolitan area.

It's very soon, though, middle of July is less than 2 months away. Will she be ready? We'll all be on tenterhooks, to find out ..... :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's as close as you can get. Canton (Gracie's rink) and Bloomfield Hills are both in the Detroit metropolitan area.

It's very soon, though, middle of July is less than 2 months away. Will she be ready? We'll all be on tenterhooks, to find out ..... :)
Exactly, those are two of the three major rinks here and are 34 miles apart. :)

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside

I suspect there will be a lot less Canadians as the majority of Cdn skaters will be going to Minto this year which is moved to Jul 27 - 30 weekend.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yeah I expect no or very few Canadians because this event and all other US summer events are no longer part of the Canadian National Summer Series. I think it has to do with different rules (like 3 jumps combos not being allowed in novice in Canada but ok in the US) and also trying to get more skaters to compete domestically. Minto wasn't a big draw in the past but it should be crazy this year.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Technically, they could do both Detroit and Minto if they wanted since they are about a week apart, there is registration info and directions for Canadians on the Skate Detroit page: http://comp.entryeeze.com/Files/Skate Detroit - NonUS Skaters1.pdf

Technically yes.. realistically is a no. Especially when summer monitoring is at Minto and not Detroit this year for Cdn skaters -and Detroit is no longer part of Cdn Nat'l Summer Series. Sorry for going off topic but this will also provide more insight as to why skaters are going to Minto vs Detroit -Ontario skaters need to qualify 1st round 40 spots for sectionals from specific Ontario summer competitions and 2nd round 20 spots from fall competitions if not qualified through the summer comp's.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Yeah I expect no or very few Canadians because this event and all other US summer events are no longer part of the Canadian National Summer Series. I think it has to do with different rules (like 3 jumps combos not being allowed in novice in Canada but ok in the US) and also trying to get more skaters to compete domestically. Minto wasn't a big draw in the past but it should be crazy this year.

The American competitions were never part of the Canadian National Summer Series for novice and below. Only juniors and seniors could count the American results. Now it seems nobody can use the American competitions anymore. How sad. :disapp:

I can understand SC not allowing novice and below to count US events simply because there are big differences in program requirements between the US standards and the Canadian standards at novice and below.

I do wish that 3 jump combos were allowed in Canadian competition at the novice level at least. There might be skaters who could do 2a half loop 3S in the long program among our novices but they can't even attempt it at the novice level.

I remember when Gogolev did 3F half loop 3S in his novice program in Detroit. He could not even try it in his novice programs in Canada.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
nadster were the bonuses also different? I don't recall the US bonus rules at all.

I think if skaters really want to compete at Skate Detroit then they can for it. But you have to know that your results won't matter for the NSS. It would be tough if you are competing at Minto or another competition (Wild Rose?) the week after, but skaters do back to back GP events so this could give you a taste of that. In general it's probably not recommended. It's too bad, because this was another shot for skaters to get out of the country and compete.

nadster

Final Flight
nadster were the bonuses also different? I don't recall the US bonus rules at all.

Yep the bonuses are different as well. The US system gives bonuses for the first time you do a certain type of triple. So if you do 2 3S's only one of them would be counted whereas in Canada both 3S's would get the bonus ( except in novice men in Canada where you need triple loop or harder to get bonus ).

In US though , jumps with slight underrotation ( ie 1 less than sign ) can get the bonus. In Canada jumps must be fully rotated to get the bonus.

Also SC gives an additional bonus for combos where the second jump is a triple over and above the bonus for the triple(s) in the combo. The US does not do this.

My references for US bonus

2016-2017 vetting guide can be found at the link below.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://usfigureskating.org/content/2016-2017%2520Rule%2520Vetting%2520Guide%25209.1.16.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjk99roq5jUAhUK5YMKHSsFCx0QFggEMAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEffHaZacpgST7Oc_gShJsjZmWq4Q

Last edited: