2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 71 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Yes, but it didn't work for Mai. So her team should change the strategy.

I honestly really do think it's the judges who've ditched Mai. She did try that Tango (and that wasn't by Wilson), and she didn't exactly work with it too well, which probably gave the judges a bad impression ("she's just not mature enough"). I am not sure what exactly she should do. Maybe try an avant-garde piece next season, with unusual movement, to try to pull the judges' hands.

I guess perhaps the strategy this season was to play to her strengths so she can be comfortable in selling it (although that might be too much credit to DW).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The tango worked in the 2nd part of the season, but it was too late.
I think she will have just to wait. It's always more difficult for introverted skaters to get high marks. Most of people, so judges like blazing personalities. The worse is that they think that those introverted skaters deserve to be behind. And that's the thing that sucks. Because being introverted doesn't mean that someone has inferior skills.

tosca

On the Ice
I honestly really do think it's the judges who've ditched Mai. She did try that Tango (and that wasn't by Wilson), and she didn't exactly work with it too well, which probably gave the judges a bad impression ("she's just not mature enough"). I am not sure what exactly she should do. Maybe try an avant-garde piece next season, with unusual movement, to try to pull the judges' hands.

I guess perhaps the strategy this season was to play to her strengths so she can be comfortable in selling it (although that might be too much credit to DW).

The tango was never clean until 4CC. I think I read somewhere that Mai herself was not in love with the program.

I think the tango helped push her but still was flirty. She needs a power warhorse I think... like a tosca (hehe) or something similar to bells of Moscow.

leoleo

Medalist
yeah, i don't see the DW bonus either! the japanese girls need to stop going to him, he's not doing them any favor. I really want Mai to get a fantastic program that can showcase her beautiful skating.
Marin for example, people were tired of her princess programs and i know that many still aren't convinced by her SP but i think it's really promising and when she's completely adopted it i'm sure she'll rock it. I wanted something new & different for her and i'm so happy she got that program from Shae-Lynn. I like seeing this other version of her. Apart from the jumps i actually found that the program was really good so far.

Amef

Final Flight
Since the GPF and JGPF started to be organized together

2018-2019 JGPF: no ladies qualified
2017-2018 JGPF: Rika Kihira
2016-2017 JGPF: Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Marin Honda
2015-2016 JGPF: Marin Honda, Yuna Shiraiwa, Mai Mihara
2014-2015 JGPF: Wakaba Higuchi, Yuka Nagai, Miyu Nakashio
2013-2014 JGPF: no ladies qualified
2012-2013 JGPF: Satoko Miyahara
2011-2012 JGPF: Risa Shoji
2010-2011 JGPF: Risa Shoji
2009-2010 JGPF: Kanako Murakami
2008-2009 JGPF: Yukiko Fujisawa, Kanako Murakami
A disappointing year for Japanese Jr ladies this year. Do we have any promising novice skaters debuting jr next year?

sk8ath

On the Ice
I'm actually quite disappointed that JSF did not (even) push Kobe girls...
[not to mention their "home rink" is only opened during winter]

A disappointing year for Japanese Jr ladies this year. Do we have any promising novice skaters debuting jr next year?

Hana Yoshida and Rika Tejima
But sometimes I think many Japanese skaters are so-called "late bloomers".

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Side note: Chubu regional is currently underway, and at the moment Jr. ladies are in their FS competition.

Live score update can be found here: https://www.jsfresults.com/National/2018-2019/fs_j/block4/data0405.htm

Yuhana was doing quite well with SP yesterday, leading with a score of 66.16. It will be interesting to see if Kinayu will challenge her sister with 3A in FS.
Adding: a. it seems Sora Maeno is skating with an injury, so there's less chance for her to be assigned with the remaining JGP spots. b. Yes, for promising ladies from novice, it looks like Hana Yoshida and Rika Tejima may continue with their rivalry. And Tejima just won NvA ladies' at Chubu regional (with a score of 97.89). But Yoshida WD-ed from regional.

sk8ath

On the Ice
Side note: Chubu regional is currently underway, and at the moment Jr. ladies are in their FS competition.

Live score update can be found here: https://www.jsfresults.com/National/2018-2019/fs_j/block4/data0405.htm

Yuhana was doing quite well with SP yesterday, leading with a score of 66.16. It will be interesting to see if Kinayu will challenge her sister with 3A in FS.
Kinayu did try 3A and fell.
I thought the jump was either called unterrotated or even downgraded.

skatenewbie

Medalist
The tango worked in the 2nd part of the season, but it was too late.
I think she will have just to wait. It's always more difficult for introverted skaters to get high marks. Most of people, so judges like blazing personalities. The worse is that they think that those introverted skaters deserve to be behind. And that's the thing that sucks. Because being introverted doesn't mean that someone has inferior skills.
i get people saying the Tango program doesnt work, but its only on TES or technically. because she get PB PCS on that program, even getting higher PCS than Sotskova at some point, almost 33 PCS. she tried to sell it and works, the stsq was so good imo, and she got level 4 with +2s in both of her GP, its in the FS that she was underscored getting 64/65 untul 4CC when she got 68 PCS

madison

Record Breaker
I've just watched Rika Kihira's programs from Bratislava... and I've to say that I'm really impressed. She has wonderful skating skills, musicality, posture, body movements, and when the jumps are on, everything is breathtaking. But she got really low PCS. I wish the judges would score her according to what they see on the ice :).

leoleo

Medalist
Junior Ladies
1. Yuhana Yokoi 187.65 (66.16 + 121.49)
2. Wakana Naganawa 168.23 (57.67 + 110.56)
3. Rino Kasakake 155.55 (60.55 + 95.00)
4. Chisato Uramatsu 153.39 (57.93 + 95.46)
5. Kinayu Yokoi 151.28 (52.90 + 98.38)

gotoschool

Medalist
Satoko was in bad shape..whaat?!
I mean just one fall, few URs (she"s getting them anyway) in two very stunning programs. How is that really bad form :confused: She made one of the best season debuts in ladies field so far, imo.

And Wakaba usually isn't doing very well early in the season. But then she ended up with World's silver medal.
Similar thing with Kaori too.

I was impressed with Satoko's short program at US internationals SP especially her fine artistry and her excellent posture and positions in spins and skating skills. My favorite part is at the end when she does a number of rapid pirouettes leading smoothly into a picturesque layback then seamlessly transitioning into a Biellmann.