2018-19 Men's Power Rankings | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Men's Power Rankings

bobbob

Medalist
I agree with all of these rankings, but I think Boyang Jin is a little higher in my book. Knowing he has had a rough start last season too, and that he is looking towards 2022, I have a feeling he will come back strong and improve at a faster rate and most of those ranked ahead of him. Do all of you think Kevin Aymoz and Matteo Rizzo have better prospects than Boyang? We can't just look at recent results.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with all of these rankings, but I think Boyang Jin is a little higher in my book. Knowing he has had a rough start last season too, and that he is looking towards 2022, I have a feeling he will come back strong and improve at a faster rate and most of those ranked ahead of him. Do all of you think Kevin Aymoz and Matteo Rizzo have better prospects than Boyang? We can't just look at recent results.

Well power rankings are a point-in-time ranking not what a skate could potentially do later in the season or done previously. At least that's how I see it.

I would LOVE to move Boyang up in my own power rankings cause I'm a fan, but he's had three very poor free skates in a row if you go back to Worlds 2018 -- it's really hard to justify putting him much higher right now. I'm hoping we can change that in future -- maybe 4CC!

Speaking of which I need to update my own power rankings.

Last edited:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker

As was said: power rankings are a snapshot, not an actual evaluation. And I think I had Boyang higher up on my earlier lists. Trust me: I want Boyang to vault to the top, but at this point in the season, I can’t justify ranking him especially high. On the other hand, since he tends to peak later in the season, I’m fully prepared to move him into the top half of my top ten if he lays down some solid skates at nationals and 4CC.

Right now, there’s a clear top six or so that all of us who’ve made a ranking list agree on, and then the bottom half of the top ten becomes messy as there are a number of guys who have posted big numbers early in the season but failed to deliver since, been inconsistent, need others to falter in addition to going clean themselves, are out due to injury and/or have an uncertain second half of the season.

Shanshani

On the Ice
But the time horizon must be longer than just right now, because everyone has Yuzu at the top. If we were literally just considering the present moment, Yuzu is very unlikely to be able to outskate Nathan and Shoma since he's recovering from injury. For my part, I always thought power rankings were for the season, in which case I agree Boyanh should be higher.

Metis

Record Breaker
But the time horizon must be longer than just right now, because everyone has Yuzu at the top. If we were literally just considering the present moment, Yuzu is very unlikely to be able to outskate Nathan and Shoma since he's recovering from injury. For my part, I always thought power rankings were for the season, in which case I agree Boyanh should be higher.

He has the highest scores this season. Especially in the short — Shoma hasn’t hit 100+ since Lombardia, and Nathan hasn’t cracked it yet this season. If they both score in the low 90s and Hanyu delivers another 108-110+ short, that’s a 15 point lead, minimum, going into the free. It’s true we don’t know his condition at the moment, and should Nathan and Shoma start scoring near their typical highs at 4CC with Yuzu absent, then there’s an argument for adjusting the top three. On the other hand, if Yuzu is at 4CC and continues where he left off before the injury, he’s going to remain at the top of the list.

So far this season, he’s been the most dominant (won both GP assignments, posted monster scores, etc.). As all of us have noted, he’s injured and we don’t know what his status will be when he returns to competition (or when he’ll return to competition). But I can’t see a credible case for ranking Chen above him yet, despite Chen winning the GP final — I really want to see a clean short from him, as his scoring potential is still a bit of an unknown.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
May be the free program of Rusnats changes something (unlikely) but based on what I saw today and on Voronov's serious injury Kolyada and Kovtun can be among World's top 10 - the rest including Aliev, Samarin, Lazukin and co. are nowhere.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

This is a fair point, but one thing to consider is that you can't underestimate the guy. Last year he was in the same position- injured around November, off the ice for months, came back at the Olympics and won. This is a position he's been in before, so I wouldn't be the one to bet against him!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Yuzu currently probably can't outskate Nathan and Shoma - as he's in recovery and not skating at the moment (at least I don't think he is?)

Seems that most expect he will be back in full form by worlds though.

Shanshani

On the Ice
Just to clarify, I'm not disagreeing with the idea that Yuzu is at the top, I'm disagreeing with the idea that power rankings are merely a snapshot of the present moment. Because presently, Nathan and Shoma are in much better form than Yuzu. I think that if "he is likely to be recovered by Worlds" logic applies to Yuzu, we should apply it to Boyang and others as well (please get over your health issues Misha :sad4:). Boyang usually bombs the GP and peaks later in the season, doesn't he?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just to clarify, I'm not disagreeing with the idea that Yuzu is at the top, I'm disagreeing with the idea that power rankings are merely a snapshot of the present moment. Because presently, Nathan and Shoma are in much better form than Yuzu. I think that if "he is likely to be recovered by Worlds" logic applies to Yuzu, we should apply it to Boyang and others as well (please get over your health issues Misha :sad4:). Boyang usually bombs the GP and peaks later in the season, doesn't he?

I see what you are saying. But, IMHO, there is a huge difference between “already showed us what he can do and was brilliant” (Yuzu) and “Let’s hope he skates up to his potential, but he hasn’t been brilliant by any means yet” (Boyang).

We can’t use past seasons as a predictor, only what has happened this season. :think:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is a fair point, but one thing to consider is that you can't underestimate the guy. Last year he was in the same position- injured around November, off the ice for months, came back at the Olympics and won. This is a position he's been in before, so I wouldn't be the one to bet against him!

That's what I thought... and from what we've been told, the injury is less severe, and there have been reports been hints he's started back on the ice (something that makes us fans both overjoyed and extremely fretful - oh, being a Yuzu fan is quite a rollercoaster, I've found).

Better physical form, yes, because of the injury. But even with that, they neither of them at the GPF could beat his slow-to-start-so-not-his-best free score from Helsinki where people were expecting him to do his usual and not even win, and we won't even mention the short score in Russia (oh damn, I mentioned it :biggrin:)

Right at this minute, he probably - probably - couldn't beat them in a hypothetical competition (though at their level even that's not a given, splatty bombs can hit anyone and everyone). But by the time of the next competition - if they're all healthy, again not a given for any skater at that level - who knows?

If Shoma can do another short like Skate Canada, though....

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

I agree with you there. These rankings are somewhere between 'present rankings' and 'world rankings'. I think it takes into consideration this season, maybe even the last two seasons. It's kind of a compromise :)

Yuzu currently probably can't outskate Nathan and Shoma - as he's in recovery and not skating at the moment (at least I don't think he is?)

Seems that most expect he will be back in full form by worlds though.

I do wonder if he will be back in full form though. After having multiple injuries to his ankle (even if this one is less severe than last year's), will he scale back a teeny, tiny bit? Part of me hopes so (as the quality of his jumps can get solid +4/+5 consistently, so why not just go for a 'safer' layout?), but the other part knows the guy is stubborn/over-achiever/whatever-you-wanna-call-it, and I doubt he will do anything less than the competitive maximum that he can :palmf:

Metis

Record Breaker

My ranking at the start of November. Look who moved in and out of the top ten and what I said about those near but not in the top ten. Again, the first six or so are pretty much the same across lists.

I’d also suggest others post their rankings rather than arguing for special pleading for a given skater. For my part, I’ve tried to be somewhat consistent — I’m looking at SB scores to get a sense of what’s possible and recent performances to see how skaters are performing, who has the elusive momentum, etc., and I’ve tried to apply the same standards each time. It’s very easy to “feel” someone’s placement should be higher or lower, but taking a structured look at the data and choosing how to weight it can produce different results. It’s a fun exercise and it’s not like anything is on the line here, and more rankings would make for a more lively thread.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Boyang has greater potential than some ranked higher than him on the lists - but unfortunately he hasn’t had good competitive skates this season - yet.

I think he said he has had good practices - so hopefully everything will come together for him in the second half of the season.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
May be the free program of Rusnats changes something (unlikely) but based on what I saw today and on Voronov's serious injury Kolyada and Kovtun can be among World's top 10 - the rest including Aliev, Samarin, Lazukin and co. are nowhere.

I wonder what propelled them to give Kovtun 45.47 in components,
Are they pushing him again?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I wonder what propelled them to give Kovtun 45.47 in components,
Are they pushing him again?

He was objectively the best here. He is not a smooth skater like Aliev or Kolyada, his spins are inferior to Kolyada's. But he delivered 4 quads out of 5. And he is much better skater than Samarin whose pcs of 90 in the free is a joke: he had just 75 at SC. So that once Kovtun reestablishes himself internationally,his having 43+86 pcs is quite realistic. His Rusnats TES 50+94 was inflated as well. Again realistically for his Rusnats performance he would receive internationally something like 90+175=265 But this score would still make him in the power ranking. He is Russia's #1 man now.