2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Well I’m not as biased as some but not perfect BUT I think she has a good chance since they’ll want to give spots to people with quads. That’s why the video is so important

That makes sense and I agree. Just hope she can nail her test skates and maybe even do a quad there.

My next question. If Gubanova decides to do the JGP, where you think she will fit in? I think Trusova, Kostornaia, and Tarakanova are a lock due to last year's results. Shcherbakova may join them based on the quad and her strong skating skills. She is definitely a top junior. Gubanova beat Kanysheva and Sinitsyna at junior nationals and Tarusina at seniors. So does she take priority over these three for the initial spots?

colormyworld240

Medalist
How sure is it that Shcherbakova will be given a spot on the JGP? She bombed both nationals hard. She did beat Trusova locally this season and she is showing strong quads in practice. Is what she is capable of special enough for them to prioritize her over others when she was unable to show it when it counted the most?

I know you and some others are huge Shcherbakova fans. I love Anna too. But I am hoping for an unbiased answer because I genuinely want to know how much of a chance she actually has.

I think she will definitely get one spot, she is too good (as in she's beaten the JW champion) to not. She has to get the gold medal though to get a second spot, if she gets anything less, even silver, she will not a la Gulyakova. Hopefully, she will not be in the same comp as Trusova or Kostornaia for first JGP. The fed will be smart and separate them all out though, I think, so they can each get gold for first comp. Second JGP will have some of them paired up maybe, but as long as they medal there (don't have to be first) they will be in the final.

hanca

Record Breaker
How sure is it that Shcherbakova will be given a spot on the JGP? She bombed both nationals hard. She did beat Trusova locally this season and she is showing strong quads in practice. Is what she is capable of special enough for them to prioritize her over others when she was unable to show it when it counted the most?

I know you and some others are huge Shcherbakova fans. I love Anna too. But I am hoping for an unbiased answer because I genuinely want to know how much of a chance she actually has.

To be fair, I don’t think they will hold this season against her because she had the broken leg this season. The same way as they didn’t hold Tarusina’s unstable results against her when she returned after her injury.
It doesn’t matter that Scherbakova did not show her best this season, as long as she goes clean at the test skates. Then she will get JGP event. (And posting the quads online will also help).

moriel

Record Breaker
To be fair, I don’t think they will hold this season against her because she had the broken leg this season. The same way as they didn’t hold Tarusina’s unstable results against her when she returned after her injury.
It doesn’t matter that Scherbakova did not show her best this season, as long as she goes clean at the test skates. Then she will get JGP event. (And posting the quads online will also help).

Also they have too many talented juniors to really bother with previous seasons and whatever. They will prop the folks who perform better on test skates and at first JGPs, and thats it.

tars

Record Breaker
I didn't know that YT channel with Zagitova's periscopes has some hilarious IG with likes and comments from the skaters themselves. Total gossip center, but reportedly even coaches are checking on their skaters there! :eek::laugh:

Caustica

Final Flight

Not sure Tarusina is such a great example when she didn't get any JGP spots last year. I would hate for that to happen to Shcherbakova.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I'm sure that if Shcherbakova has good quad attempts(Doesn't even have to land them) she will get JGP spots. Because the additional publicity would always be welcome. Of course, I really expect her to just be good enough to earn a spot by her own merits.

Anna Tarusina isn't quite as good of an example, I believe. She never had the status Shcherbakova did / does. For instance, Shcherbakova won the elder age championship at the age of 11, which I believe is unprecedented(At least during the era where the level of Russian pre-juniors has been strong... perhaps such a thing happened around 2010). And I don't think that Tarusina's recovery had been progressing as well. While Shcherbakova had some poor skates, she has also had some great success as well. Most notably, the Cup of Russia Final victory over Trusova among others, with over 210 points.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I didn't know that YT channel with Zagitova's periscopes has some hilarious IG with likes and comments from the skaters themselves. Total gossip center, but reportedly even coaches are checking on their skaters there! :eek::laugh:

lol the ones about weight of Panenkova and Scherbakova are hilarious :biggrin:

tars

Record Breaker
For instance, Shcherbakova won the elder age championship at the age of 11, which I believe is unprecedented(At least during the era where the level of Russian pre-juniors has been strong... perhaps such a thing happened around 2010).
Anna (2016) was the youngest winner since Tuktamysheva in 2008.
Next champions Tarakanova (2017) and Kanysheva (2018) were older as well.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Anna (2016) was the youngest winner since Tuktamysheva in 2008.
Next champions Tarakanova (2017) and Kanysheva (2018) were older as well.
Mhm, Tuktamysheva back when she was the only relevant skater(She is the oldest out of the actually competitive ladies). In any case, the significance of their achievements is completely different...

Phantom of the Opera? Aah, I'm looking forward to it. Assuming it has no lyrics, I really don't mind PotO.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Mhm, Tuktamysheva back when she was the only relevant skater(She is the oldest out of the actually competitive ladies). In any case, the significance of their achievements is completely different...

Phantom of the Opera? Aah, I'm looking forward to it. Assuming it has no lyrics, I really don't mind PotO.

Yes - please no lyrics :pray: --- there's a rule that I wish hadn't changed (for the most part)

I am looking forward to it also.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Because I wanted Alina to get something fresh, and now everyone will compare her to previous greats who did PotO as a way to diminish her and her accomplishments, "but it wasn't as good as..." (in their opinion of course, Holly from Dance moms sums it up) but if it's without lyrics, that's a start...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Have to wait and see how the program turns out, but I was hoping it would be something a bit more unique. Phantom is such a warhorse. Well there's a second program too. Hopefully that's not a warhorse.

And it will be different from the ballet programs.