2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 749 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there any danger at present the IOC will reduce the number of participants in figure skating, like they did with gymnastics?

I’ve never heard anything on the matter. Have you?

karina17

Final Flight
There are quite a few...but this one in particular she sends Alena running for her life at the very end and starts to dance in Sasha’s space at one point. Anastasia commits with every inch of her body :laugh:

https://youtu.be/mEZ1b9wQkB4?list=PLXOX1lVmxCIaE8Hla-VyPVGgpGYezjHgD

Spatial awareness, please, Nastya, you’re going to give someone a bloody nose going wild like that :laugh:

I love her vibe. She doesn’t care at all about dancing to perfection, she doesn’t care if she looks crazy, it’s all about having fun and I think that’s admirable. The world really needs more Nastyas. Why care so much? It’s a jazz funk class. Let loose. Go nuts. Just don’t crash into any unsuspecting Alenas. :laugh:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I’ve never heard anything on the matter. Have you?

No, I haven't. Has there been a ISU congress since the 2018 Olympics? At the isu website, the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games are still listed as about to happen in the future, and there is no info on their front page about any changes in qualification for the 2022 Bejing Winter Olympic Games.

But perhaps somebody with contacts inside a NOC can tell us more about any propositions?

Changes have been made in speed skating to prevent clean sweeps of the medal rostrum ...

madison

Record Breaker
Happy Birthday to Sergey Dudakov from Team Tutberidze (I am not sure this is the right place to write it, but I couldn't find the thread on Team Tutberidze).
According to this post of Mikhail Sharov (Russian photographer), https://www.instagram.com/p/BslZ5-bHy08/, Dudakov spent his birthday with the girls and boys at the local competitions in Moscow. I just want to celebrate this special, hard-working, modest person, who devotes so much energy, time and passion to figure skating.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Happy Birthday to Sergey Dudakov from Team Tutberidze (I am not sure this is the right place to write it, but I couldn't find the thread on Team Tutberidze).
According to this post of Mikhail Sharov (Russian photographer), https://www.instagram.com/p/BslZ5-bHy08/, Dudakov spent his birthday with the girls and boys at the local competitions in Moscow. I just want to celebrate this special, hard-working, modest person, who devotes so much energy, time and passion to figure skating.

Yes, it was mentioned on the live stream chat that he, Tutberidze and Gleikhengauz were all present at Medvyedkogo ice rink.
With skating season in full swing and competitions almost every weekend there is hardly time for celebrations of a person's birth day. But as a professional he will happily abstain from 'food and wine' to be with his charges.

madison

Record Breaker
Yes, it was mentioned on the live stream chat that he, Tutberidze and Gleikhengauz were all present at Medvyedkogo ice rink.
With skating season in full swing and competitions almost every weekend there is hardly time for celebrations of a person's birth day. But as a professional he will happily abstain from 'food and wine' to be with his charges.

And who remained with the rest of the group, in this case?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The Olympics will always be limited by Nation. It’s just the way it’s intended to be. Every sport in the Olympics does this.

But other winter sports (e.g. alpine, cross-country) has max 4 per nation at Olympics and Worlds. I think figure skating should follow that rule.

Ziotic

Medalist
I hope some day skaters get picked by rankings. If Russia has 7 of the top 10 in 3 years but only have 3 spots for Olympics it will look bad for isu. Not that they should have 7 spots but more than 3 will be required.

The issue with this thread is that many posters come here who do not like the Russians and Eteri. I would never do that in Canadian or Japanese ladies threads.but to each their own.

Has any coach in any discipline ever had the talent over a few years than Eteri has? Yulia to Zhenya to Alina to Sasha to Anna to Alena to Kamila to many others coming up? All different too. I have never seen anything like it. Yes it's not just Eteri it's Sergie and Danil too.

It won’t look bad on ISU or IOC for limiting spots by nationality.

Otherwise Norway would take all the skiing slots and Canada all the curling ones. It’s about nations coming together in high level competition.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
And who remained with the rest of the group, in this case?

??? The birthday party or the skaters ???
One presumes the Khrustalniy rink is closed on Sundays, no trainings scheduled. Instead there were two of their top juniors competing in the Cup of Moscow, plus some more pupils from Khrustalniy, it probably was very much an afternoon of 'business as usual' for those three adults. They might have reserved a table at some nice restaurant for a birthday dinner that evening, but tomorrow, Monday Jan 14, the rink opens again at 0800.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But other winter sports (e.g. alpine, cross-country) has max 4 per nation at Olympics and Worlds. I think figure skating should follow that rule.

That would be ideal wouldn’t it.

madison

Record Breaker
??? The birthday party or the skaters??
One presumes the Khrustalniy rink is closed on Sundays, no trainings scheduled. Instead there were two of their top juniors competing in the Cup of Moscow, plus some more pupils from Khrustalniy, it probably was very much an afternoon of 'business as usual' for those three adults.

I meant who stayed with the rest of the skaters, the seniors and the juniors who still have to train. As far as I know the skating rink is not closed on Sundays, everyone takes one day off depending on their own schedule, it is not necessary to be on Sundays.
I have seen some photos from today competition and Dudakov was the only one with the skaters there.
Anyway, my post was meant to congratulate Dudakov for his birthday :).

Weathergal

Medalist

The Team Tutberidze thread is in Fan Fests > Teams and Coaches.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, I haven't. Has there been a ISU congress since the 2018 Olympics? ...

Yes. The most recent ISU congress took place in June 2018.

The ISU provided live-streaming of the sessions, which were the subject of much discussion on GS.

... At the isu website, the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games are still listed as about to happen in the future ...

No idea what you are saying????

The ISU event page for 2018 OWG figure skating has a link to the normal ISU results page.

As well as a link to the 228-page OWG official results book for figure skating, which includes all protocols.

... and there is no info on their front page about any changes in qualification for the 2022 Bejing Winter Olympic Games. ...

FWIW/IIRC: For 2014 and 2018 OWG, the ISU qualification document for figure skating was published two years or so in advance.

IMO, it is too early to expect the qualification document for 2022 OWG.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the confirmation.

I've been through the ISU website and browsed the minutes of the congresses and the bulletins/communiques, but the competition schedule hasn't been updated recently, so many past competitions are still listed as about to happen.

Anyway, no reason to worry about 2022 Olympics yet. First the 2019 World Championships :)

Should have been able to ask a ISU official personally, since the 2019 EC in short track was held in The Netherlands this weekend, with several Gold Medals won by my countrymen and -women, as in speed skating :)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don’t know if this is our fault for not expressing things clearly, or if you genuinely believe that any critique of a Russian skater comes from a place of nationally-motivated bias.

I don't like to write posts like this but as there has been a critical mass of replies to my previous post I shall answer. My post was not directed to you specifically. I am a bit tired of reading in the Russian ladies thread 2 types of posts. One is from those who just see nothing good in Russian ladies. And even when they praise Alena there is a neighboring how she is better than x, y, z (of, course Russian skaters). The others pick on specific traits like Alona's skating skills or posture and keep playing the same tune over and over again. You call it analysis? I have another name for that,

These are some (not all) relevant quotes from just 3 recent pages of 750+ in this thread:

I don’t understand why Eteri can’t teach her skaters to just do proper cross cuts, it’s a sign of weak basic skating skills, hunching forward during crossovers is indicative of weak basic skating skills, from a technical standpoint she does not have really good crossovers, the student Eteri coaches almost all have the same weaknesses that aren’t being addressed, the Russian novices/juniors are talented but many of them have a long way to go in the skating skills department, especially the skating skills and posture are a part that would need more adressing, while I don’t think they’ve developed any skater’s basic skating skills to a truly remarkable level, they do do an excellent job at hiding weaknesses, Zagitova now - her posture during crossovers has always been a weaknesses, but that flaw has become much more apparent after her growth spurt, the Russians are good but other than Alyona Kostornaia, most of them really only have mediocre SS. They don’t have the sort of smooth glide, edges and turns and posture like Alyona or the Japanese girls.

Ziotic

Medalist
I don't like to write posts like this but as there has been a critical mass of replies to my previous post I shall answer. My post was not directed to you specifically. I am a bit tired of reading in the Russian ladies thread 2 types of posts. One is from those who just see nothing good in Russian ladies. And even when they praise Alena there is a neighboring how she is better than x, y, z (of, course Russian skaters). The others pick on specific traits like Alona's skating skills or posture and keep playing the same tune over and over again. You call it analysis? I have another name for that,

These are some (not all) relevant quotes from just 3 recent pages of 750+ in this thread:

I don’t understand why Eteri can’t teach her skaters to just do proper cross cuts, it’s a sign of weak basic skating skills, hunching forward during crossovers is indicative of weak basic skating skills, from a technical standpoint she does not have really good crossovers, the student Eteri coaches almost all have the same weaknesses that aren’t being addressed, the Russian novices/juniors are talented but many of them have a long way to go in the skating skills department, especially the skating skills and posture are a part that would need more adressing, while I don’t think they’ve developed any skater’s basic skating skills to a truly remarkable level, they do do an excellent job at hiding weaknesses, Zagitova now - her posture during crossovers has always been a weaknesses, but that flaw has become much more apparent after her growth spurt, the Russians are good but other than Alyona Kostornaia, most of them really only have mediocre SS. They don’t have the sort of smooth glide, edges and turns and posture like Alyona or the Japanese girls.

All of the items you quoted are relevant to Russian Ladies skating, I don’t understand why it bothers you that people share their opinions on some of the Russian ladies. Why does everyone have to come here and praise the skaters? Pointing out areas that they wish to see improved upon is completely valid.

I want to understand how someone views certainl skills as “very good” when from my trained eye they aren’t.

Tell me what makes crossovers good to you and why.

In my critique I was very specific about what the issue with the crossovers was. I wasn’t vague, I gave specific example of areas for improvement.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
That said, with skaters like Alyona who started with solid technique and the most critical blade work and basic SS (IMO), I believe these skaters will have better longevity. I am sure Eteri is also learning and refining her coaching which is why every subsequent crop of skaters are getting more and more solid as she figures out what needs to be propped.

I couldn’t agree more. I’m very excited for her senior debut, especially if she keeps training the 3A.