2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 908 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

sx98423

On the Ice
I'd say the 1st part of the worst scenario for Russian ladies already executed. The 2nd part we will see soon.
Having two slots next year will be considered a success. Personally I'm very sorry for Kostornaya.

Actually RusFed may send two Kamikadze to WC-20 and "all the rest" to EC and lesser tournaments. Provided no trauma or sickness happen.

lmao how'd this conversation go from lucky to hold onto 3 spots -> will only get two spots -> lucky to get two spots.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
lmao how'd this conversation go from lucky to hold onto 3 spots -> will only get two spots -> lucky to get two spots.

I have been put forcibly in mind of the Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python... :laugh2: things getting worse every time someone pipes up.

Hubris is a funny thing. Like assuming a team will get 3 spots because they have tons of technically competitive skaters.

That's not hubris, that's just common sense. If you have strong skaters you have a good chance of placing well.

Canada won the Olympic team medal last year because they had world champions in every discipline. Russia is expected to score well at 2019 Worlds in ladies because they have three really, really good ladies. Why is this even a discussion?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
My bad.

TripleAxelQueens3 had quoted another post.
It is on the previous page.
I should have quoted that one also.
Then it would make more sense.

Don't worry. I understood it even when reading your "irony comment" earlier than the previous "not quoted" comment from we know who :laugh2:

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
We can debate the criteria for selection of number of skaters per country til we are blue in the face and it won't change anything for the upcoming worlds. Canada has 3 spots and Russia has 3 spots and Japan has 3 spots. Are Canada's 3 notably weaker than Russia or Japan's 3? Yes and I don't think it is even worth debating to be honest. It just is. After the 2019 Worlds this will be reshuffled. It is likely (in my mind) that Canada will be down to 1 spot (sorry but that is how I see it) and Russia and Japan will have 3. If you look at the status and rankings going in that seems to be what is likely to happen. I think the Russian Fed were in a lose-lose and a win-win situation here. First of all most other countries (except maybe Japan) would love to be in a situation of choosing btw those 3 ladies for the final spot. That is the win-win. The sheer depth of Russian ladies skating is breathtaking right now. The lose-lose is that having only one spot and 3 deserving skaters at least 2 camps were going to be disappointed and upset. I was hoping they would send Tukt even though I really like Evgenia and think Stanislava has lovely qualities. I like underdog stories and considering Liza's last few years it would be a wonderful comeback and quite heartwarming. I do understand sending Evgenia though. It is what it is.

If there is heartbreak now I can only look to this time next year and wonder how much disappointment there will be.

My suggestion for fixing the issue of representation has been for a long time to change the format of the GPF and have the top 10 from the Grand Prix season compete against each other there. Yes it might be 5 Russian Ladies, 3 Japanese, 1 Korean and 1 American but it would give a chance to those who are unlikely to make the world team in countries with very deep fields a chance to shine and compete. So that smaller feds do not get squeezed out of their spots at GP events I would suggest widening the fields to 15 (3 flights of 5) for singles.

I am especially looking forward to seeing Sofia skate btw. She is a very plucky young lady and while I do not enjoy her music in the long I do find her entertaining.

The top scores from the Grand Prix going to Worlds is basically just another Grand Prix Final. Grand Prix is about the best athletes earning a shot to compete against one another without country limitations.

From my understanding, Worlds is not supposed to be another Grand Prix. It’s similar to the Olympics. Each country is allowed to send a team of their 3 best athletes to fight for a shot to win a medal for their country. Except it would be ridiculously long if every country sent 3 athletes so countries that don’t have as many competitive athletes are then given fewer slots. This is determined by a country’s performance the previous year.

“Tweaking” the rules to allow more than 3 athletes per country is to fundamentally change the rules and spirit of the competition to be less like the Olympics and more like Grand Prix.

It makes sense to me to alter the criteria for determining 3 so that it’s not based on the previous worlds results but rather use current season bests to determine number of slots. In some ways, you could just to let every country send 3 athletes to and just deal with competitions being super long. That’s at least consistent with the spirit of what Worlds is supposed to be about.

Giltedge

Final Flight
Is the golden era of russian skating ended with Zagitova? Will the 3A's continue it or will puberty attack? Is it not possible Japan sweeps the podium in Japan? What if Lilbet skates well as does Lim or Paginini or the Finnish lady and Bradie and Mariah and a revived Gabby skate well could Russia be in trouble?

The Finnish Lady? :laugh: Sounds like a Conan Doyle or Wilkie Collins novel.

pesto

On the Ice
It makes sense to me to alter the criteria for determining 3 so that it’s not based on the previous worlds results but rather use current season bests to determine number of slots. In some ways, you could just to let every country send 3 athletes to and just deal with competitions being super long. That’s at least consistent with the spirit of what Worlds is supposed to be about.

As long as there were still TES minimums in place, many countries would not have 3 skaters to send. And as long as there was a cut-off of four groups for the Free, it's only the Short programmes that would be longer. And as long as it's seeded, most broadcasters would only show the latter groups of the Short programmes, so would be minimally affected.

Giltedge

Final Flight
Without Liza leading the team and a very competitive Japanese trio who are extra motivated to perform well in front of the home crowd, it is likely that the Russian Ladies would be fighting for 4th place against Bradie, who has a higher average score (200.31) than both Sofia (199.94) and Zhenya (198.54), the top two Russians based on recent performances. Realistically under the current rules, they would need a 4th + 9th, 5th + 8th, 6th + 7th to get three spots for next year, which is not an easy task given they will also be facing Mariah, Elizabet, and Loena, who have average scores in the 190s as well. There is a chance though as they aren't competing with the reigning WGM and the 2012 WGM, who would have probably rounded out the Top 5.

Wha? Liza who? What team? Is/Was there some or other competition I didn't hear about that a "Liza" may have "led"?

:confused:

malya

On the Ice
Ah it's typical for russian ladies some drama, some intrique and then back to normal hopefully :)

malya

On the Ice
I will be very happy when I can go back to talking about talented junior girls or someone promising like Sofia coming up and the sucess she had this year <3

I will be very happy to see her at least in the prizes (not medals) this year!

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Realistically under the current rules, they would need a 4th + 9th, 5th + 8th, 6th + 7th to get three spots for next year, which is not an easy task given they will also be facing Mariah, Elizabet, and Loena

:laugh2: :laugh2:

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I miss those few posters who used to give us a nice analysis of the upcoming juniors. Ah, the great times of the Russian Ladies Thread..... Wish I could support that with my own posts about it, but I can't since I don't follow the local competitions since there are a million of them, except for a few distinct names like Kamila, Maya, Daria that YouTube is already suggesting to me.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I miss those few posters who used to give us a nice analysis of the upcoming juniors. Ah, the great times of the Russian Ladies Thread..... Wish I could support that with my own posts about it, but I can't since I don't follow the local competitions since there are a million of them, except for a few distinct names like Kamila, Maya, Daria that YouTube is already suggesting to me.

I'll update this post later with more :)

malya

On the Ice

Yes sadly.
The point is there is so much going on with the russian ladies and/or all the background stuff that everybody focusses on something else.

Some shady stuff is going on and you think does this guy know about it, why is everybody talking about that. I was the original guy who spoke out about something weird and you get paranoid with all the talk about hate and/or shady background stuff going on in the back with some people.

I think some Illusion about the Grand Fairness of the sport and no politicking is ruined but - this is RusFed. Who would have believed it anyways :)

To go back to only watching cute kids skating (who don't know anything about that) would be a dream come true.