2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 961 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Amei

Record Breaker
I posted this question earlier and it was deleted for some reason. I think it's a fair and sincere question, and I hope it's not interpreted as trolling.

In light of the "hunger games" situation you accurately describe above, why would Zhenya not switch her affiliation to Armenia in advance of next season? Such a move is not an option for the other girls, as far as I now, but it is for her, just like it is for Lilbet in the case of Kazakhstan.

Zhenya is already training outside of Russia anyway. Like Lilbet, Zhenya can basically guarantee herself spots at international competitions straight through the Olympics in 2022 without having to constantly stress about insane competition among Russian girls, where the slightest error can mean you're sidelined from events, like Worlds, that you deserve to be competing in.

I know Zhenya says she loves representing Russia, and I believe her when she says that, but I think she loves skating even more. If I were her, this would be a no-brainer. Unless there are other factors I'm overlooking?

(BTW, to the point of my earlier posts, I think it speaks to the flaws in the ISU selection system that she would even have to consider this option, but it's unfortunately the reality of things.)

Well if Evgenia starts competing for Armenia:
a) Russia won't be funding her anymore
b) she won't have Russian Fed support in judging anymore
c) Potential ramifications for her career outside of skating? I know she does endorsements and TV shows - if she were to switch 'allegiances' and skate for Armenia would that harm her marketability in Russia.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Even if Zhenya wanted to change country, which she absolutely does not: Russia would never let her go. Not after everything she‘s won. It worked for Elizabet because she wasn‘t a high ranked skater then. Zhenya‘s different.

I also don't think Evgenia would compete if she isn't in the running for big medals. If she's only able to make Worlds/Olympics by representing a country other than Russia, I don't think she'd be meeting the high expectations she has set for herself.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Well if Evgenia starts competing for Armenia:
a) Russia won't be funding her anymore
b) she won't have Russian Fed support in judging anymore
c) Potential ramifications for her career outside of skating? I know she does endorsements and TV shows - if she were to switch 'allegiances' and skate for Armenia would that harm her marketability in Russia.

All fair points. My counterpoints...

a) Russia isn't funding Lilbet either, right? And she's still able to continue her training with arguably the best coach in the world at this moment. So I think this is solvable.

b) I can't speak to this, but again, Lilbet seems to be doing just fine without the influence of Russian Fed behind her. As far as I know, Kazakhstan is not throwing its weight around with ISU judges, right? :laugh:

c) Zhenya has an international following and is already eclipsing the need to rely on Russia for her stardom. I mean, she's freakin' sponsored by Nike and barely speaks a word of Russian in this new ad...https://youtu.be/bB1-li1KoIA. (Different situation obviously, but here's an example of another Russian athlete who only increased her marketability by moving beyond Russia...https://d.pr/tyK3YQ.)

I also don't think Evgenia would compete if she isn't in the running for big medals. If she's only able to make Worlds/Olympics by representing a country other than Russia, I don't think she'd be meeting the high expectations she has set for herself.

With the level of talent in Russia next season, it's going to be a complete flip of the coin who wins placement for international competition. There will inevitably be girls who meet their and our high expectations, and still get screwed for the slightest mistake because the competition is so fierce and the spots too few. Why put yourself in this situation if you don't need to?

One final point to consider: This arguably wouldn't only be a good thing for Zhenya, but it would be a good thing for the other Russian girls as well, as her leaving would open up more opportunities for them for international assignments.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I'm so happy for both Alina and Zhenya. But Eteri was the real winner today, and I am no Eteri fan (although she's growing on me). Her students are 1-2. The student she trained from early childhood is number 3. And Tursynbaeva's success over Zhenya is a pretty clear victory for Eteri (which she also seemed to appreciate judging by her reaction to Elizabet's scores in the K+C).

But what I see as the biggest victory is that these results really challenge the idea that Eteri can't train mature skaters. There was all this speculation that her skaters would not be able to maintain quads into adulthood, but Elizabet has just shown that she can train an adult to achieve a quad (yes Elizabet is fortunate to have a very petite body type that works well for quads but she's still an adult). And Eteri has demonstrated that Alina was not just a fluke, that she was able to keep her young skater at the top of the field for two senior seasons, and Alina would still have been successful even if the age restriction had been set at 16.

The next few years are going to be very interesting in Eteristan. :)

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for both Alina and Zhenya. But Eteri was the real winner today, and I am no Eteri fan (although she's growing on me). Her students are 1-2. The student she trained from early childhood is number 3. And Tursynbaeva's success over Zhenya is a pretty clear victory for Eteri (which she also seemed to appreciate judging by her reaction to Elizabet's scores in the K+C).

But what I see as the biggest victory is that these results really challenge the idea that Eteri can't train mature skaters. There was all this speculation that her skaters would not be able to maintain quads into adulthood, but Elizabet has just shown that she can train an adult to achieve a quad (yes Elizabet is fortunate to have a very petite body type that works well for quads but she's still an adult). And Eteri has demonstrated that Alina was not just a fluke, that she was able to keep her young skater at the top of the field for two senior seasons, and Alina would still have been successful even if the age restriction had been set at 16.

The next few years are going to be very interesting in Eteristan. :)

Amazing post Sugar. Spot on.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
A fantastic and of the season for Alina. Zhenya too. Did Russia medal in any of the other three disciplines? I know the Russian Paris team was in first place after the short program. Russia has been weak in the other 3 disciplines the ;east couple years and they need to get better to win team gold in Bejiing.

Thanks in advance.
Russia won silver & bronze for pairs.
Dance, they are 2nd & 3rd after the SP.

nipman

On the Ice
Is there any Russian skaters eligible for a switching of nationality and compete for Kazakhstan at the WC next year?

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the lovely Russian girls. I'm so happy for both Evgenia and Alina, they both found renewed confidence.

I'm not sure why Eteri vs Brian is still a thing. One isn't better or worse, it's just different. Evgenia did everything she possibly could in her old training environment to win gold, she pushed her body to the absolute limit and it wasn't enough. There wasn't any more she could give. That's not to say Eteri's system doesn't work- clearly it does based on her successful skaters, but sometimes you need drastic change to go forward.

Mostly though I'm just happy for Alina and Evgenia, what a great way to end their seasons.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Now I hope Gubanova and Tarusina run off and apply for Kazakhstan citizenship. They could then go to worlds next year!!:laugh::laugh:

Is there any Russian skaters eligible for a switching of nationality and compete for Kazakhstan at the WC next year?

The same thought occurred to me too, learning that Tursynbayeva's Silver might get KAZ more spots.

What is the current state of Kazakhstan's figure skating? The country is rich in natural reserves, but politically, socially and economically isn't doing very well ...
Have the majority of ethnic Russians that have settled/were expatriated to Kazakhstan returned to Russian Federation since the independence of Kazakhstan?

Opposed to force and skill ice hockey, figure skating is a much more intricate sport, with completely different demands on artistry, dance, expression etc. Most of which cannot be easily learned, only trainers and coaches can be 'imported' to get a head start.

Could they pick up Russian skaters under IOC/ISU rule? There should be many with have some Kazakh blood and ancestry.

tempo

On the Ice
IX Winter Spartakiad of Russian students (youth) 2019
Dates: March 21 - 26, 2019
Venue: Saransk, Ice Palace of the Republic of Mordovia

March 23 (Saturday)
12.00 - 16.15 GMT - Girls, free skate program

Alexandra Trusova's plan for today's free skate:
4Lz-3T, 4Lz, 4T, 2A, 3Lz-3Lo, 3Lz-1Eu-3S, 3F

The live stream will be at youtube channel (sadly, "they" again blocks all the main videos immediatelly after the event).

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Why are we discussing Evgenia switching countries again? It's seriously ridiculous at this point in time..... If you want to discuss skaters switching countries, maybe talk about Tarusina and co. lol

Azikin

Medalist
Why are we discussing Evgenia switching countries again? It's seriously ridiculous at this point in time..... If you want to discuss skaters switching countries, maybe talk about Tarusina and co. lol

Probably because her chances to make the national team again are not very good..

Vandevska

Medalist
Probably because her chances to make the national team again are not very good..

So are everyone else's chances next year after the 3A turns senior.
Anyway, all I'm saying is, let's not give the media another idea for negativity for her. And for the other girls as well, especially Alina. Let them be happy and enjoy what they did yesterday without the media "worrying" about that too, because I'm pretty sure they're all aware of the hardships that are to follow.

Vandevska

Medalist
There's a great long interview. Don't have time to provide a summary, but I'm sure someone will translate it soon. She speaks very highly of her coaching team, very heartwarming. Also says that she works with a dietary expert that Brian found for her �� there's a lot of talk about her eating habits and how she changed them.

https://rsport.ria.ru/20190323/1552048816.html

Posted in Evgenia's FF. It might be interesting to some of you, the part where she talks about eating habits :)

silveruskate

On the Ice
And Zhenya on the podium at the biggest event of the year, 4 years in a row!!

Worlds 2016
Worlds 2017
Olympics 2018
Worlds 2019

Her first 4 senior years, so impressive

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
So are everyone else's chances next year after the 3A turns senior.
Anyway, all I'm saying is, let's not give the media another idea for negativity for her. And for the other girls as well, especially Alina. Let them be happy and enjoy what they did yesterday without the media "worrying" about that too, because I'm pretty sure they're all aware of the hardships that are to follow.

Alina or any other skater should never worry about sports tabloids and gossip columns. A few appearances on national TV, with Perviy Kanal being government controlled, should assure the skaters' prestige will not be tainted.
But of course they cannot completely isolate themselves from the world surrounding them. So hopefully, friends, parents, trainers, officials will keep the skaters safe and sound.

FFKKR will be spoiled for choice next season, so many talented skaters and only a limited number of spots in ladies single. First half, GP circuit time, will probably be a series of testers for everybody, and even here, choosing which skater to send will leave many others disappointed. We can only hope FFKKR will treat all skaters fairly, and FFKM, CSKA and FFKSPB will defend their positions vigorously of course. Now, where will that leave Tarakanova and other 'independent' skaters?