2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 969 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I may have missed some information on Evgenia's injury. Is it a new injury or the old one not fully heeled? And how serious it is?

moriel

Record Breaker
This isn't about telling a woman to shut up. If she had waited a week or two this post would have been a completely acceptable post. The point being that her skaters both defeated Zhenya over the weekend and the timing of this post feels a bit like rubbing it in and gloating. She could have even been vague about it - not the part about her family, that was fine. But maybe just saying that this was a challenging year as a coach without directly mentioning her skater leaving. Because the timing of it comes across as "it was so hard when Zhenya left me...but its all okay now!" like immediately after her skaters won feels inappropriate to me.

Honestly, even if she didnt mention skating at all, people would still bash her for it. As for the timing... She won at this competition right now. Not in two weeks, but right now, after all the struggle, after Alina nearly withdrawing. After Lizzy sucessfully landing a quad. She and her students didnt beat Zhenya, they won over themselves, not over Zhenya / Rika / whoever. They overcame their issues. She turned the page basically because she and her team overcame all that. The world does not spin around Zhenya, and surely not the main challenge for Eteri's team.
I see no reason for her to hide she was hurt when Zhenya left, specially not after Diana's insights, and it obviously added to the whole thing. There is literally 0 gloating in that post, but i suppose h*ters gonna hate.

moriel

Record Breaker
I may have missed some information on Evgenia's injury. Is it a new injury or the old one not fully heeled? And how serious it is?

New one, from the warm up before FS.
I suppose so far they don't know how serious it is, but at least there was no info of show cancellation or whatever, so at least its not something that is obviously a big deal.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Eteri cannot breath without being wrong.

She, as coach, has all right to disclose such information about the decisions her team makes or doesn't makes. Its not some personal Alina's info.
You could be ultraged, yes, if she told that Alina got a new bf or whatever personal like that that is none of her business.

If the reason for the contemplated WD was Alina having psychological struggles, then it absolutely wasn't Eteri's place to disclose this information, unless Alina explicitly requested that she do so. I can think of few things more personal, especially when we're talking about a minor.

And even if the contemplated WD had nothing to do with psychological struggles, Eteri's comment was still a reckless and irresponsible one. She's been in this sport long enough to know that making such a statement without any context will only stir up rumors and controversy around her skater. As an adult and a coach, this is exactly what she should be protecting her teenage pupil from.

moriel

Record Breaker
If the reason for the contemplated WD was Alina having psychological struggles, then it absolutely wasn't Eteri's place to disclose this information, unless Alina explicitly requested that she do so. I can think of few things more personal, especially when we're talking about a minor.

And even if the contemplated WD had nothing to do with psychological struggles, Eteri's comment was a reckless and irresponsible one. She's been in this sport long enough to know that making such a statement with no context will only stir up rumors and controversy around her skater. As an adult and a coach, this is exactly what she should be protecting her teenage pupil from.

She disclosed nothing about psychological struggles. Also, you entirely have no clue if Alina was ok with such disclosure, but still the first thing you do is to assume.
Just admit you hate her, and lets move on.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Just admit you hate her, and lets move on.

What a ridiculous comment. Not everyone here is "picking sides." And, if you read my posts, you would see that the first thing I wrote was, "I deeply respect [Eteri's] coaching and adore her skaters," and later noted that I was genuinely touched by her Instagram post up to the point of her mentioning Zhenya.

I'm not anti-Eteri by any means. I'm simply noting that she (and other coaches, for that matter) too often act in ways unbefitting of adults tasked with coaching and caring for their teenage and children pupils.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
This is Medvedeva-centric thinking. This woman lived in pain, and she shared it because she subconsciously wants support and positive comments. And there is a HUGE amount of supporting comments, just a huge one. Yes, there is a skirmish, but this is a relatively small number of people who argue with each other and write dozens of messages with insults to each other. Alas, but it always happens in any twitter and inst of a popular persona.
You known also do include in this thought comments that bring hate onto Her too. So no its not only me thinking zhenya centric

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I don't really think letting the public know Alina's possible withdraw during the Worlds is inappropriate. It makes the victory even greater, and it may well be what Eteri tried to promote by letting everyone knows. The official time of the Worlds listed on ISU website is from the day of practice to the end of the competition so "during" or "before" is just semantics. Alina now should be psychological stronger than ever.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
There could be also said "Eteri will always be the evil person". Like Eteri says:
"I was fan of Brian Boitano" => "Eteri says that because she is angry about Orser" (like there is no opportunity anyone could honestly like Brian Boitano)
Eteri speaks about her mother => Eteri is manipulating public opinion (just remember what was said when her interview with Ted was published)
Anything about diet => "we are so concerned about her starving her skaters to death" (this can be related to anything her skaters have also said, which is often retelled in modified versions or ripped out of context, not to mention continuous speculations about health of the skaters while it is against the rules)

And I could continue.

Again, I would like to remind the great shift that took place last season. Pre-medvexit it was "evil Eteri wanted Zhenya to win the olympics but brave Alina prevailed" vs. post-medvexit it was from the very same people "evil Eteri hold Zhenya's tech level low so jumping bean Zagitova could win the olympics because of her backloading (because otherwise she would never defeat Medvedeva, as we all know :) )." That is also about who brings alina into it. Sometimes Alina is mentioned by the people who on one hand speak about the longevity but on the other call for Alina to retire. Again, the very same people, not from the ranks of her fans.

This is like a boomerang.

Flanker, I agree with a lot of your posts. This one included. But I will never appreciate how you view the fans of Evgenia as the same people. We are not.
There are a lot of people who are now "fans" of Evgenia because it fits their narrative. But Alina has those too. There were so many comments under every video of Evgenia and including some of Alina's before and during the Olympic season that were simply like "I want Alina to win because I hate Evgenia". Surely you won't say that those are pure fans of Alina, right?
And if we're talking about taking things out of context, the same happens for Evgenia. And you do it too sometimes.

But as @moriel said, let's all please not be selective and discuss something else, like how many quads will Sasha have next year (I think they'll start the season with 3, and if everything goes as planned, they will keep it as is.)

DougDorsey

On the Ice
What happened?

Eteri letting loose on social media again, haha. Perhaps someone can offer a proper translation of this latest post from her, because the Instagram translation makes it sounds like she includes a remark about the bronze medal (i.e. Zhenya), but I don't always trust the Instagram translation.

neusw

On the Ice
:laugh2: I'm pretty sure she's just trolling you guys at this point, since she got such a delightful response on the first post.

P.S. she's talking about olympic medals, not bronze medals, so it's actually a followup on the sentiments of sadness from the previous post. No need to get your panties in a bunch...

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
There could be also said "Eteri will always be the evil person". Like Eteri says:
"I was fan of Brian Boitano" => "Eteri says that because she is angry about Orser" (like there is no opportunity anyone could honestly like Brian Boitano)
Eteri speaks about her mother => Eteri is manipulating public opinion (just remember what was said when her interview with Ted was published)
Anything about diet => "we are so concerned about her starving her skaters to death" (this can be related to anything her skaters have also said, which is often retelled in modified versions or ripped out of context, not to mention continuous speculations about health of the skaters while it is against the rules)

And I could continue.

Again, I would like to remind the great shift that took place last season. Pre-medvexit it was "evil Eteri wanted Zhenya to win the olympics but brave Alina prevailed" vs. post-medvexit it was from the very same people "evil Eteri hold Zhenya's tech level low so jumping bean Zagitova could win the olympics because of her backloading (because otherwise she would never defeat Medvedeva, as we all know :) )." That is also about who brings alina into it. Sometimes Alina is mentioned by the people who on one hand speak about the longevity but on the other call for Alina to retire. Again, the very same people, not from the ranks of her fans.

This is like a boomerang.
:laugh2::rofl:Brilliant, just brilliant. "Medvexit" is destined to become our most popular running joke for quite a while...

Helena b

Rinkside
Eteri letting loose on social media again, haha. Perhaps someone can offer a proper translation of this latest post from her, because the Instagram translation makes it sounds like she includes a remark about the bronze medal (i.e. Zhenya), but I don't always trust the Instagram translation.

Well, some people definitely think everybody's world revolves around Medvedeva as much as their own.

There is not a singe word about her, bronze medal or anything but how thankful she is to Alina and Liza. Nothing. It's irritating that everything Eteri does, every word she says even before someone could translate it is supposed to be another abuse of poor little Zhenia.

zounger

Medalist
I think Eteri's comment on the withdraw had as indirect addressee the RusFed and their politics and was not about Alina.