2018-19 season non crazy predictions | Golden Skate

2018-19 season non crazy predictions

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I understand the "crazy" one: people want to be creative. But only sometimes it is fun when we are truly in the creativity zone. Sometimes it is just wishful thinking to push up personal favs. The disconnect from reality can be easily explained by the "craziness" of the thread. Let's try then to be more down to the earth about what is going to happen next season in seniors. Of course, personal bias will be there but at least whatever is stated could be rationalized somehow. And one big assumption is that everyone is healthy.

I shall start with the ladies. In dance it is more or less clear (as usual). In pairs it is sort of vacuum if S/M, S/H, D/R, and S/K all quit. In men my prediction is Nathan is going to win everything with Shoma trailing. If there is an interesting discussion I will be glad to join. But we all know that men are the hardest to predict.

Well, ladies

Zagitova vs. Medvedeva will be the name of the game. Eteri vs. Orser. Forum battles are also expected: once Zhenya left Eteri and Russia as the training ground some of her vocal critics immediately changed the tune. The epic is there: something along Karpov vs. Korchnoj and later Karpov vs. Kasparov lines.

Same as before Olympics, the question about the bronze is open. Osmond looks as safe to claim it as the two Russians are there to claim the first 2 places. But will she have the motivation to keep on going? She already has Olympic bronze and Worlds gold. Try to go for the second worlds gold? With all due respect if she cannot beat the two during Bs and GPs it will be just wishful thinking. Satoko and Wakaba, on the other hand, have a lot of motivation. So that I would think of them as serious contenders for big bronzes. Gabby might join the fight but, come on, just 3T-3T during the post Oly season will be hardly enough. We are in the quads quad now. Let's see if she beefs up her tech.

Who will be the third Russian? My prediction is Sotskova again unless Anna P rises like a Phoenix. I would love it to be true - then she is in the race for bronze. Maria just does not have enough charisma and brand equity. She will be always heavily discounted to avoid all Russia podiums. But it is much harder to discount Pogo when she skates like she skated in Boston (although they did it, anyway). I don't believe in Polina's T breakthrough same as in Gubanova and Panenkova. The only chance for Konstantinova is to upgrade her jumps (she has been working on something). She will get another chance at a B. If she blows it she will be gone from big competitions.

Caro will retire same as Ashley. Comeback of Gracie will be short and not spectacular

Mai Mihara won't get the team again. It will be Rika Kihira who will become more consistent and will work on her brand. Judges will finally appreciate her. But still the lack of pcs will keep her off worlds podium. She might get into Top10, though

Bradie will solidify her position as USA's #1 lady. She might get 4CC podium but won't be higher than 5th on the worlds.

No breakthroughs from Tursunbaeva and Korean ladies.

wait, are senior ladies doing quads? because if not, then we dont have to worry about it for a season or two

Ziotic

Medalist
I’m going to play devils advocate when it comes to ladies.

I think Alina is going to struggle, last year she could barely put out a clean short and with two new programs that can longer rely on a backloading bonus I think she’s in trouble.

She also only skated truly clean in head to heads with Med and I think the dynamic there will be very different and her nerves will come for her.

I think Med will work hard and continue to be successful, she may have a few kor stumbles here and there but overall I think she will reign supreme.

Osmond will likey have some new found confidence and now has the feeling of clean-ish long programs. With the new GOE scale I think she’ll be able to take down a clean Alina.

Wakaba I expect to continue to improve along with the rest of the Japanese ladies out to get those world spots.

In Russia I expect Polina to step back into the light and get the nod from her fed as Maria has had two bad back half of the seasons. I hope Anna comes back.

For Men, I expect that is Hanyu is back in form he will have no problem leading the pack with Nathan. Shoma and Jin rounding out the major podiums.

I expect S/H and T/M to rule while perhaps a new team emerges and J/C continue on upper trajectory.

For dance, I think we will see some challenges at P/C dominance as they likely won’t want a quad with no competition.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
In ladies, Zagitova and Medvedeva battle it out all season and Medvedeva wins worlds with a deep outside edge on her 3Lz and has upgraded from 3S-3T to 3S-3Lo and 2A-2T-2T to 2A-2T-2Lo. Zagitova wins the silver medal after winning the GPF over Medvedeva by only a point. Buyanova's girls all go for the third spot but end up faltering at Russian Nationals and even high PCS can't save them from the third member of the team, Daria Panenkova, who wins world bronze over Kaetlyn Osmond by 0.10 of a point. Naturally, Canadian fans are upset, but Daria couldn't care less and posts an adorable dancing video at the banquet. Japanese girls sweep again at 4CC, and Kaori, Wakaba, and Satoko are the worlds team. Mai is heartbroken and comes back with a vengeance, placing highest out of all the Japanese ladies at WTT.

In pairs, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin make the worlds team alongside Tarasova/Morozov and Stolbova/Klimov. In the absence of Savchenko/Massot and Duhamel/Radford, they win world silver behind Sui/Han and ahead of James/Cipres. Tarasova/Morozov lose out on a worlds medal because of their low PCS.

In ice dance, Papadakis/Cizeron get some questionable WR scores at nearly all major competitions and win their 4th world title. Chock/Bates storm ahead of Hubbell/Donohue now that they're training in Montreal too, and the US goes 2-3 at Worlds. Stepanova/Bukin get 2nd at Euros ahead of Cappellini/Lanotte, who continue for one more season.

In mens, Yuzuru wins Skate Canada but bombs at his second GP, reversing the curse. He is angry and wins the GPF, but loses at worlds to Nathan Chen, who lands six quads to Yuzu's four. Mikhail Kolyada wins his first Euros, and Dmitri Aliev and Deniss Vasiljevs make up the remainder of the podium. Boyang Jin wins 4CC and gets world bronze again, prompting him to get very angry and win WTT with a record-breaking score. Vincent Zhou places in the top ten at every competition but loses out on the podium due to URs that are finally called, and Shoma Uno gets 2nd at the GPF and 4CC, just missing out on a worlds placement behind Boyang.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I’m going to play devils advocate when it comes to ladies.

I think Alina is going to struggle, last year she could barely put out a clean short and with two new programs that can longer rely on a backloading bonus I think she’s in trouble.

She also only skated truly clean in head to heads with Med and I think the dynamic there will be very different and her nerves will come for her.

I think Med will work hard and continue to be successful, she may have a few kor stumbles here and there but overall I think she will reign supreme.

Osmond will likey have some new found confidence and now has the feeling of clean-ish long programs. With the new GOE scale I think she’ll be able to take down a clean Alina.

Wakaba I expect to continue to improve along with the rest of the Japanese ladies out to get those world spots.

In Russia I expect Polina to step back into the light and get the nod from her fed as Maria has had two bad back half of the seasons. I hope Anna comes back.

For Men, I expect that is Hanyu is back in form he will have no problem leading the pack with Nathan. Shoma and Jin rounding out the major podiums.

I expect S/H and T/M to rule while perhaps a new team emerges and J/C continue on upper trajectory.

For dance, I think we will see some challenges at P/C dominance as they likely won’t want a quad with no competition.

Yes, I just realised that, Alina’s best performances were when she was competing against Evgenia? I think it gave her some motivation. But she is a smart girl and I think after worlds she realises she needs to step up her game even more and deliver next season. Her defeat at worlds will give her another goal to stride towards. If she doesn’t do well next season my heart will probably shatter into a million pieces because she’s the first skater I properly watched and my favourite, always [emoji23]

Ziotic

Medalist
Maybe it’s just me, but ANY country sweeping a worlds podium is pretty much a crazy prediction....which doesn’t belong in this thread.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It's not too crazy to me. Next year, they'll have a much stronger third member than this year, no matter who it is, Buyanova's girl or not.

Ziotic

Medalist
It's not too crazy to me. Next year, they'll have a much stronger third member than this year, no matter who it is, Buyanova's girl or not.

But they are literally ALL the SAME girls except Daria, if she goes Seniors, and she didn't even make it to Jr Worlds over the girl they sent to Sr Worlds who came like 19th?? I guess I just don't understand how that's even remotely logical.

Kara

Final Flight
For junior ladies: Alena busts out 2 3As in her FS, both with complicated entrances and backloaded and manages to win over Trusova at JGPF, but both lose to Shcherbakova at Junior Worlds.

For senior ladies: Wakaba RISES! Worlds team for Japan is Wakaba, Kaori, and Rika Kihira. Evgenia struggles a bit because of the adjustment period, but manages to podium at Worlds. Gubanova is sent to Worlds now that she has people backing her in the Fed where she dazzles everyone and podiums. All the Japanese ladies skate well, but all miss out on the podium because of PCS. Eunsoo skates well enough to barely get into top 10, achieving 2 spots for Korean ladies for next year.

For senior men: From the happiness of achieving his ultimate goal, Yuzuru skates to music he really loves and is super consistent.:dance2: Mikhail ditches the 4Lz and becomes closer to being consistent, but still loses out to Boyang and Shoma who continues to have his Silver curse.

For judging: It's still as bad as ever, but the new scoring system is so confusing and incomprehensible as to why things are the way they are that arguments go nowhere because everyone needs to keep checking the rules and the rules don't agree with their logic.:popcorn:

In ice dance, Papadakis/Cizeron get some questionable WR scores at nearly all major competitions and win their 4th world title.

This is cheating. You snatched this one from everyone.

I'll go further, though -- they'll never be off the top spot at worlds till 2022, when they'll grand slam and retire.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I believe Carolina Kostner has indicated she's going to continue.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
we usually have power rankings or predictions for worlds etc... but those come later on, when we have at least GP assignments. I will contribute to your thread then... but now, I find that pretty much any prediction made here is just as crazy as the ones on my thread :laugh2: especially those predicting podium sweeps.... enough said.:laugh2:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
we usually have power rankings or predictions for worlds etc... but those come later on, when we have at least GP assignments. I will contribute to your thread then... but now, I find that pretty much any prediction made here is just as crazy as the ones on my thread :laugh2: especially those predicting podium sweeps.... enough said.:laugh2:

Now to predict which thread will get more posts, non crazy or crazy? I predict crazy :biggrin: (game on)

moriel

Record Breaker
I think Alina will slay this season.
Yeah, last season she struggled a bit (still being more consistent than quite a few top ladies), but we have to remember it is her 2nd season competing internationally, and 1st season as senior. She is hungry for sure, since she still has some medals to win.

Tsurskaya get that #3 russian spot. Now that she is with Buyanova, i can easily see her replacing Sotskova. Also, Polina will have major advantages from the new scoring system.

Wakaba will finally get the scores she deserves, now that she has the reputation. She will become Japan #1 and get quite a few medals.

Both Osmond and Medvedeva will struggle with consistency and lose to the younger kids.

In juniors, we will see a bunch of ladies with 3As and quads. My bet is at least 4 different ladies trying those in competition.

Russian ladies thread will reach 200 posts before seasons even begins, and by the end of the year will be the longest ladies thread of the year.

tji21

Spectator
Ice dance I hope weaver and poje continue one more and medal some competitions. Maybe Hub and Don will keep improving and chock bates does better. Maybe some teams will blow up for example the younger American teams

Shanshani

On the Ice
Ladies: I think both Alina and Evgenia will struggle a bit next season. Alina because she's still growing, and with a new program I expect her consistency to go down. Evgenia because she's adjusting to a new coaching environment, plus I don't think Orser will want her to do as many full run-throughs as she used to do in order to preserve her longevity and keep her from getting another stress injury, a decision that will have the down side of lower consistency. I also think/hope Wakaba will rise, at least if she can manage her nerves. Overall, I think the season is going to be relatively unpredictable in comparison to previous seasons.

Men: predicting men's is a fools game in terms of results, so I'm not going to try. Nathan is likely to lose some consistency because of adjusting to balancing skating and college (not that Nathan is particularly consistent). Vincent is probably going to see better results, depending on how much he can fix his UR problem/that problem gets over-looked. Yuzu will re-add the quad loop and probably the quad lutz (depending on how recovery goes), but we won't see a 4A attempt this season. Mikhail Kolyada will probably drop the 4Lz with the new SOV making the value proposition very not worth it for him. No predictions when it comes to the other men, but hope the move to TCC works out for Boyang.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Gabrielle Daleman, Diana Nikitina and possibly Anita Ostlund will attempt 4Ts in competition, and at least one of them will eventually get it ratified.

tothepointe

On the Ice
My prediction is Wagner will not retire until after the Grand Prix Season and that Nagasu gets some kind of deal with Disney. Either on or off ice.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Maybe it’s just me, but ANY country sweeping a worlds podium is pretty much a crazy prediction....which doesn’t belong in this thread.

Not just you Ziotic, as the same was predicted by some here at the start of last season, and we know how that went down. ;)

asiacheetah

On the Ice
My non-crazy predictions:

Yuzu will loose his first GP assignment.
Yuzu will go to 4CC and win finally (hmmm...maybe this is wishful thinking)

Nathan will not headcase and perform to the best of his abilities next World Championship against the full field.

Evgenia will not win at Worlds, but will the following year (is that too far into the future)?

Sui/Han will come back strong and win Worlds.