2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 115 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Off-topic for the thread, but it depends what you mean. She hasn’t developed any skaters you’ve never heard of, but at the 2014 Olympics, Jason was in a virtual 4-way tie for bronze after the SP, 0.98 points behind Javi. He had an outside chance to medal but skated last in the final group and succumbed to nerves and inexperience. Looking at his protocol, he could have done it with a squeaky clean program. But that’s not really what you’re looking for, I don’t think.

You're right. I'll stop before I contribute to the thread drifting more off topic.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Raf seemed very pleased with Mariah in the KnC at Skate Canada---that in itself is very encouraging.

After finally seeing Mariah's free program on YouTube, I have to say that I'm truly impressed by her SS. If she could jump like Bradie, she would be my #1 US Lady. Those who have stated that she needs a 3/3 are correct. She really does have every quality and if she can get a couple 3/3's and clean up her opening 2A 3T, I think she will be back on the Podium at Nationals. I don't see her beating Bradie if they both due Bradie's difficult but, I can definitely seeing her winning the Silver and possibly Gold if Bradie falters. I was very impressed.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Off-topic for the thread, but it depends what you mean. She hasn’t developed any skaters you’ve never heard of,

I'm sure she has developed plenty of skaters we've never heard of. But not ones who had consistent jump content to be competitive at the highest levels, or else we would have heard of them. :biggrin:

andromache

Record Breaker
Mariah Bell has some great programs this season, and she could take the National title if she skates cleaner than Bradie.

I know the Celine Dion is cheesy, but I LOVE the SP so much. I was basically yelling at my tv as she was skating and hitting the jumps so well. The music builds very well.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Mariah Bell has some great programs this season, and she could take the National title if she skates cleaner than Bradie.

I know the Celine Dion is cheesy, but I LOVE the SP so much. I was basically yelling at my tv as she was skating and hitting the jumps so well. The music builds very well.

Her short is really wonderful. She hits all the accents so well, when she does the 3flip to the inside spread eagle on the music... What a moment! It will be tough to win nationals against Bradie and Alysa Liu but who knows. I would love if she could be the national champion.

frida80

Record Breaker
Looking at the JGP, made me realize that judges are looking more at quality performances rather than difficulty. Yelim was well rewarded for her FS even though she didn’t backload her combos like other skaters. With Mariah, I hope she focuses on getting her program consistent. It’s really breathtaking and done clean should nab a really good score.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Her short is really wonderful. She hits all the accents so well, when she does the 3flip to the inside spread eagle on the music... What a moment! It will be tough to win nationals against Bradie and Alysa Liu but who knows. I would love if she could be the national champion.

I just watched Alysa Liu and though she does have some nice jumps, she still skates like a Junior. Mariah's overall skating is a mile ahead of hers which is fine because she is so young. Even with her tech score, I can't see her anywhere near Mariah in components.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I just watched Alysa Liu and though she does have some nice jumps, she still skates like a Junior. Mariah's overall skating is mile ahead of hers which fine because is so young. Even with her tech score, I can't see her anywhere near Mariah in components.

I agree that Mariah is way ahead of Alysa in every component. Truly, it’s a whole different level. However, Alysa can do a quad lutz. And a triple axel. The triple axel she hardly ever misses and has done in her last four competitions cleanly. If Alysa does a quad lutz, 3a combo, 3-3’s... it’s a HUGE tech score. I will say it depends on who USFSA wants to push. The tech panel could be harsh on Alysa because she is slightly prone to UR’s(although hasn’t been getting much lately internationally or nationally) and bury her there and/or they could also bury her in pcs.

frida80

Record Breaker
I agree that Mariah is way ahead of Alysa in every component. Truly, it’s a whole different level. However, Alysa can do a quad lutz. And a triple axel. The triple axel she hardly ever misses and has done in her last four competitions cleanly. If Alysa does a quad lutz, 3a combo, 3-3’s... it’s a HUGE tech score. I will say it depends on who USFSA wants to push. The tech panel could be harsh on Alysa because she is slightly prone to UR’s(although hasn’t been getting much lately internationally or nationally) and bury her there and/or they could also bury her in pcs.

I love Alysa, but it’s inaccurate to say she hardly ever misses the 3A. She’s misses it all the time. At regionals she popped it in the SP. In her prior competition she under rotated it both times. She either pops, Falls, and often under rotates that jump. She’s never landed a quad Lutz in competition and only attempted it once. Let’s not be ahead ourselves with Alysa’s jumps. She’s going to be a force to be reckoned with next season, but this season is all about getting her 3A more consistent. Let’s see how she is with her programs at sectionals next month.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Alysa, but it’s inaccurate to say she hardly ever misses the 3A. She’s misses it all the time. At regionals she popped it in the SP. In her prior competition she under rotated it both times. She either pops, Falls, and often under rotates that jump. She’s never landed a quad Lutz in competition and only attempted it once. Let’s not be ahead ourselves with Alysa’s jumps. She’s going to be a force to be reckoned with next season, but this season is all about getting her 3A more consistent. Let’s see how she is with her programs at sectionals next month.

I'm with you. Enough of the fawning over the wonderkid prodigies. Give them time to develop. Then give them get an opportunity to prove themselves on an important senior level stage, and then let them deliver.

When that's done, I'll hop on the bandwagon.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been following Mariah since she joined 7K, and she has never been consistent. Not from comp to comp and not from year to year and not from coach to coach. Her best GP so far was her first year with Raf. Looking so good. Her second year with Raf, back to her inconsistent ways. This year, starting her third with Raf, looking good at Skate Canada, but who knows about her next comp?:scratch2:

I love a performer, and although I don’t follow the ladies so much, Mariah is a performer. She can be entrancing. But she is an inconsistent performer. Both with Kori, with Raf, and for all I know with her previous coaches.

I hope she has changed. I hope she’s found “it”. But I can’t start riding the bandwagon yet....

Last edited:

MarinHondas

Final Flight

Well this is how her 3a has been;

Club comp: 3a SP landed but turned out of it
3a LP landed in combo (second attempt popped)
Broadmoor: 3a SP landed
Glacier falls: 3a step but landed SP
3a LP landed in combo
Second 3a LP landed but step out
Asian open: 3a not allowed in short
3a LP landed in combo, called clean and made history as she landed it in international competition. (SECOND attempt 3a fall and UR)
Regionals: 3a popped in short
3a LP landed in combo.

To me, this seems a fairly consistent jump. It’s inconsitent as a SECOND attempt but she ALWAYS (impressively) lands the first one and she seems to have taken out the second attempt. I am not sure what competition you are referring to that she underrotated it both times. It’s possible I missed one of her comps here. As far as I know, every competition she has attempted it in, she has landed it at least once cleanly. That’s consistent, especially for such an incredibly difficult jump.

I’m not trying to say Alysa will definitely win nationals or be delusional about Alysa. I am just giving her statistics with 3a because I disagree that it’s inconsistent. I agree it will be difficult for Alysa to land the quad lutz but she does have it on her back pocket so who knows. I also agree we should give her time to develop. I’m just saying.

frida80

Record Breaker
Well this is how her 3a has been;

Club comp: 3a SP landed but turned out of it
Broadmoor: 3a SP landed
Glacier falls: 3a step but landed SP
3a LP landed in combo
Second 3a LP landed but step out
Asian open: 3a not allowed in short
3a LP landed in combo, called clean and made history as she landed it in international competition. (SECOND attempt 3a fall and UR)
Regionals: 3a popped in short
3a LP landed in combo.

To me, this seems a fairly consistent jump. It’s inconsitent as a SECOND attempt but she ALWAYS (impressively) lands the first one and she seems to have taken out the second attempt. I am not sure what competition you are referring to that she underrotated it both times. It’s possible I missed one of her comps here. As far as I know, every competition she has attempted it in, she has landed it at least once cleanly. That’s consistent, especially for such an incredibly difficult jump.

I’m not trying to say Alysa will definitely win nationals or be delusional about Alysa. I am just giving her statistics with 3a because I disagree that it’s inconsistent. I agree it will be difficult for Alysa to land the quad lutz but she does have it on her back pocket so who knows. I also agree we should give her time to develop. I’m just saying.

These are the competitions she's been in that were called underrotated.

Southern California Interclub Championships June 2018

SP: 3A Step out
FS: 2 3A both called under rotated.

2018 Skate St. Moritz September 9th
SP: 3A<
FS: Both called <
She also got a ! on her flip. So the Tech controller is on the money.

Neither Broadmoor or Glacier Fall published their protocols so I can't confirm if they were called rotated or not. But in my opinion Broadmoor FS was clean in the FS and based on her score in the SP, she probably got a 3A<.

She also did a 3A+3T and a 3A in the Aerial Competition at Broadmoor. Both were called clean. I think the first was definitely under.

Truth be told I don't think many of them have been fully rotated. Including the one at Asian Open which was clearly still being rotated on the ice. Tech controllers at club comps are notoriously lax about this and the excitement of seeing a 3A from someone so young may make them less scrutinizing than normal. Furthermore that 4Lz in practice was definitely under rotated. Whether or not they will be called at nationals is up for debate. The problem is she isn't fixing it. She's hired Tom Dixon to focus on skating skills rather than focus on rotations. There will be plenty of time to develop as an artist, but once she gets used to bad technique she's going to struggle to fix it for years.

Just watching both SA and SC and seeing them really crack down on underrotation far more because of the rule change is really concerning. She needs to focus on getting that jump around not winning nationals.

It's a good thing Mao's 3A was scrutinized so much. It makes it easy to spot the underrotation immediately. Just look at all Mao’s attempts including the ones called under and you can see why her 3A is so concerning.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I don't get the Alysa vs. Mariah rivalry discussion. Alysa won't be senior eligible in 3 years internationally, and Mariah might retire at that time. I don't really care a 13 year winning nationals because she is not going to Worlds or even JW. Judges may hold her down for seniors who are going to Worlds just like the Russian Nationals even if she could outscore all seniors.

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't get the Alysa vs. Mariah rivalry discussion. Alysa won't be senior eligible in 3 years internationally, and Mariah might retire at that time. I don't really care a 13 year winning nationals because she is not going to Worlds or even JW. Judges may hold her down for seniors who are going to Worlds just like the Russian Nationals even if she could outscore all seniors.

I don’t think there is a Mariah/Alysa rivalry. Just a debate on who’s going to get silver at nationals this year. The debate will keep changing as more competitions happen and other ladies become more or less promising. Ting or Karen could knock it out of the park at Tallin Trophy. Courtney could win another one of her surprise bronze medals. Gracie could become resurgent at Rostelecom. This season will be interesting to see how everyone develops.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
3 more weeks until Gracie’s re-debut/comeback! Does anyone know if she is planning on doing any regional/local competitions or even some Challengers?

frida80

Record Breaker
3 more weeks until Gracie’s re-debut/comeback! Does anyone know if she is planning on doing any regional/local competitions or even some Challengers?

All club competitions and regionals are are over with. She’s not assigned to the next Challenger series, so no completions until Rostelecom.

littlesnow

Rinkside
I’m so excited to see Gracie skate again and secretly hoping she’ll slay, while also realistically knowing it’s a tough road back and just hoping she is happy with herself.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I have been following Mariah since she joined 7K, and she has never been consistent. Not from comp to comp and not from year to year and not from coach to coach. Her best GP so far was her first year with Raf. Looking so good. Her second year with Raf, back to her inconsistent ways. This year, starting her third with Raf, looking good at Skate Canada, but who knows about her next comp?:scratch2:

I love a performer, and although I don’t follow the ladies so much, Mariah is a performer. She can be entrancing. But she is an inconsistent performer. Both with Kori, with Raf, and for all I know with her previous coaches.

I hope she has changed. I hope she’s found “it”. But I can’t start riding the bandwagon yet....

I’m cautiously optimistic. Raf mentioned in an interview they only made minor changes the first year since it was so near comps. Last year they were retooling her jumps, so I can understand the extreme inconsistency. This year it seems to be all about concentration and stamina, which she’s working on.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m cautiously optimistic. Raf mentioned in an interview they only made minor changes the first year since it was so near comps. Last year they were retooling her jumps, so I can understand the extreme inconsistency. This year it seems to be all about concentration and stamina, which she’s working on.

Her first year with Raf she placed second (?) in Skate America. Everyone applauded the turn around. She was working on her jumps then, and in fact, I believe attributing her greater success to them. Did Raf say anything *at that time* that she wa only doing “minor” retooling?

Last year, that consistency was gone. One skate good, the next skate, well, less than good. I think that’s when Raf gave his interview about being too old to get married in Armenia;)

And I’m sorry, I don’t know why only this year they’re working on concentration and stamina? To me, that makes no sense. Retooling jumps may be hard and take time, but working on concentration and stamina should be constant and start at day one.

I wish Mariah the best, she’s a charmer, but every year is going to be her breakout year. And maybe it will be this year, I don’t know.... :shrug: