2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 224 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Wait. So in the junior ladies short program, only one skater scored above 60??

Correct. Same as last year. Also, some of the good juniors competed "up" to senior at nationals so take that in to account. It's not uncommon though, I noticed they don't really inflate the scores of the lower levels. About what they would garner internationally.

MarinHondas

Final Flight

I like that she says twice she works on skating skills and spins etc, it's not all about the jumps for her. Also GREAT that she is woking with Carroll and Orser! Hope this becomes a semi-regular thing. Jackie Wong says that she spent a large chunk of her practice today practicing basics (well.... she did a clean program run through including 3a casually as well:laugh:) I am excited for her of course. I don't want to get too excited though. She doesn't need that.

natsulian

Final Flight
What a grounded young lady. Alysa will turn 14 come August, in the midst of the Junior Grand Prix. I hope she continues to work with other coaches who specialize in different areas so that she can really mature into a beautiful skater. The Senior level in the upcoming years is going to get shaken up. We now have at least two seniors training the 3A, a few Juniors training Quads, and novices going up to Juniors with 3Lz-Lo and 3Lz-3T. Packaged with artistic nuances which will come as they age, the US is really gearing up for some big changes.

frida80

Record Breaker
It's nice to hear Alysa working a bit with both Frank and Brian. I don't think you can get a lot of work done in just a week. Maybe this is just a trial week to see if she can work with either of them during the off season.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
None of the links on there work for me :( just a black screen. Oh well.
So I wouldn't be surprised if she makes her JGP debut next season! especially if Pooja does indeed move up to the senior GP.

Did you try a different browser? It wasn't working for me in Firefox, but it did w/MS Edge.

Steinbeck

Rinkside
Congrats to the US Junior Ladies.

Some notes:
- Gabriella Izzo landed a 3Lz-3Lo, but it was called under-rotated
- Lots of 3Lz-3T attempts, but many were under-rotated or doubled
- PCS’s were not very high

There were three triple-triple attempts TOTAL among the juniors, I think?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
There were three triple-triple attempts TOTAL among the juniors, I think?

Depends on what you consider an attempt. There were 6 ladies that had written it down on their planned program content sheet. Half of them popped the first or second jump though.

Steinbeck

Rinkside
Depends on what you consider an attempt. There were 6 ladies that had written it down on their planned program content sheet. Half of them popped the first or second jump though.

Good point. I guess we could probably count as “attempts” those who actually went for it (attempted), while the others were “planned but not attempted” (popped, doubled).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She seems to have a great attitude on the pressure of public opinion. Maybe we've at last found a competitor who isn't a headcase? Then again, theory and practice are very different, and she hasn't faced real competitive pressure yet.

I think at 13, her answers are mostly scripted and probably based on what her handlers tell her to say. There really isn't much external pressure on her this year, so I'd expect her to skate well. When she's eligible for big senior events, we'll get a better assessment of her competitive grit.

macy

Record Breaker
Alysa seems to have a very solid and sturdy head on her shoulders. Of course she is only 13 and has much more skating and growing left to do in the next few years, but she reminds me of Rachael Flatt in that sense. It seems as if some people are just born with that mindset, so i hope this is the case.

andromache

Record Breaker
It sounds like Alysa's dad has the right idea as far as social media goes - making sure Alysa doesn't read anything about her, telling her friends not to send stuff to her, etc.

macy

Record Breaker
Why in the heck did Vincent feel the need to point out that she is 35 pounds lighter???

Dude, NOOO! Weight is just a meaningless number. Seeing what she can do is enough.

agreed he shouldn't have included that in his post, but i don't think his intentions were poor. i think it was more to point out she is healthy, but still.

oly2018

Final Flight
Posting about her weight as her coach is really not OK. I am still really skeptical of this coaching team and this only adds to that. She is an adult and can make her own choices, but from the outside, just eh.