2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 270 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Calista Choi,14, on winning her very first international gold medal as a junior at the Egna Spring Trophy. This is Choi’s international debut as well.

Also note (although this is the Ladies thread): Robert Yampolsky, US 2019 Intermediate Champion, won the Advanced Novice Men's gold medal by 17.67 points over the silver medalist.

natsulian

Final Flight
Egna Spring Trophy Senior Ladies
1. Starr Andrews, 64.83 (35.49+29.34) - 3T3T, 3Lo, 2A
2. Gabriella Izzo, 61.45 (33.67+27.78) - 3F3Lo<, 3Lz, 2A

Izzo performed a new Short to "I'm Here" from The Color Purple. Andrews has improved quite considerably compared to her debut during the beginning of the season. Now let's work on the 3Lz, under-rotations, and harder combos.

withwings

On the Ice
To clarify, since it seems like she just used whatever instagram's translation feature produced for her original Korean message, and it's made some of the wording a bit odd and unnatural-sounding in English: she wrote that she does not want anyone to be attacked on her behalf.

Thank you, w_darling. Precise wording truly makes a difference- thank you.

It would be very beneficial if these changes in her wording wold be corrected on the instanogram, too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Also note (although this is the Ladies thread): Robert Yampolsky, US 2019 Intermediate Champion, won the Advanced Novice Men's gold medal by 17.67 points over the silver medalist.

Team USA's entry in Advanced Novice Ladies ("Girls") also won gold at Egna.

Ting Cui and Julia Biechler will perform in next weekend's club show in Wilmington, Delaware.

And among others from other disciplines:
Lu/Mitrofanov
Johnny Weir (Saturday night only)
Also (if I am not mistaken): junior man David Shapiro :luv17:, who is a wonderful performer.​

Kristi Yamaguchi's tweet today made me smile, but I also found it fascinating that even after all these years, the Olympic/World champion is not immune from her subconscious playing tricks on her:

Couldn’t find the locker room, got there-no benches to sit on, late for practice ice, my teammate was getting on the ice already, we were on after Zagitova and Tursynbaeva. I open my bag-NO SKATES...panic! Woke up. When will these skating nightmares end?!

https://twitter.com/kristiyamaguchi/status/1112108757058797568 (Mar 30)​

(Sorry, either my computer and/or GS software won't let me copy and paste Kristi's emojis.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

truthbooth

On the Ice
Calista Choi's Free - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsNpX7SWx10

Only 14... but she has elegance and poise. Hopefully she upgrades to a 3Lz-3T and 3S-3T come next season. Very well rounded for such a young skater and has such great interpretive skills. I hope she gets a JGP assignment next season.

Between winning novice nationals and this competition on junior, and considering the US has 14 JGP slots next year, I'm 99.9% sure she will get one, if not two assignments.

Calista has a lot of potential. It's worth noting she trains with Bradie Tennell.

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Gabriella Izzo won the Egna Spring Trophy with 182.00 points (120.55 in the free), and Starr Andrews was 2nd with 170.79 points (105.96 in the free).

bubblecherry

Final Flight
While her best qualities right now are obviously her high tech + consistency, it's obvious Alysa works on other things as well. While she is very "juniorish" in a lot of ways (which is not a bad thing, she's not even a junior yet!), I give her a lot of credit for being so determined to not fall behind her Russian & Japanese peers. She's setting a high bar for American ladies. So while she may not be the best at doing 3A or Quads, she's opening the door for others who will be better + getting better herself in the process. Bravo Alysa. Really hope her packaging for next season is done well.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
While her best qualities right now are obviously her high tech + consistency, it's obvious Alysa works on other things as well. While she is very "juniorish" in a lot of ways (which is not a bad thing, she's not even a junior yet!), I give her a lot of credit for being so determined to not fall behind her Russian & Japanese peers. She's setting a high bar for American ladies. So while she may not be the best at doing 3A or Quads, she's opening the door for others who will be better + getting better herself in the process. Bravo Alysa. Really hope her packaging for next season is done well.

Agree! Also Alysa really knows how to perform. Her SP this season was so fun to watch for me, because she had so much fun! No one should expect her SS to be perfect at this young age. This comes with time and training :)

natsulian

Final Flight
There was a better video with a different angle and you can clearly see the edge on the lutz. I don’t think Alysa has trouble with her lutz edge. Her flip is where she has troubles with the edge.

natsulian

Final Flight
Amber’s not in the Top 24, so unless she gets a host pick, it’s not a big possibility. Mariah and Bradie are guaranteed 2, Ting 1, and Lin maybe 1.

For the Junior Grand Prix, we have Alysa, Hanna, Calista, Lindsay, Kate, and a few others (maybe Pooja Kalyan).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is how it started with her 3A last year. Did it in a charity show in front of Scott Hamilton. Month later she did then in her first comp. Nine months later, she became US champ.

Brian Boitano was at yesterday's SF show and witnessed Alysa's jump -- which he referred to as "quad lutz."

Gabriella Izzo won the Egna Spring Trophy with 182.00 points (120.55 in the free), and Starr Andrews was 2nd with 170.79 points (105.96 in the free).

Congratulations to the senior ladies.

p.s. I love wombats. :)

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Brian Boitano was at yesterday's SF show and witnessed Alysa's jump -- which he referred to as "quad lutz."

Congratulations to the senior ladies.

p.s. I love wombats. :)

Izzo attempted 3flip-3loop in the short which was <, and 2a-1/2-3sal in the long which was <. The last and first time she tried a 3-3 was at nats, where she did 3ltz-3loop, again <. It's nice to see her landing backend triple combos consistently, and good that they aren't <<, but they are consistently <. I wonder how she can get that extra little bit of rotation. It reminds me a bit of Karen Chen, whom I love, that can't do a clean 3-3, but can land it cheated. I hope Izzo can resolve this issue. Encouraging to see her go for 3-3's though.