2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I guess Pooja could get Ljubljana and Hanna could get Yerevan but that gives her just one. I'm really not sure why Audrey Shin has one, though, I'd put Izzo there and give Richmond to Kalyan.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I’d give Ting another assignment. I think she has the highest scoring potential out of all the USA juniors. 5th is not bad considering her errors.

We’ll see how Audrey and Hanna do in the next two weeks

I saw Hanna live at the Peggy Fleming Trophy in June. She jumps very well, but IMO, to be competitive, she needs to improve her presentation.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
ETA Stitch who would you give a spot to instead of Ting? I think she needs experience competing in order to be competitive. She is much more well rounded than some of the other US juniors I’ve seen.

Well lets take a look

For next week as subs we have

Maxine BAUTISTA
Emma COPPESS
Ting CUI
Hanna HARRELL
Angelina HUANG
Gabriella IZZO
Sarah JUNG
Pooja KALYAN
Ashley LIN
Emilia MURDOCK
Akari NAKAHARA
Kaitlyn NGUYEN
Jenna SHI

Listed as subs, lets get rid of those with an assignment already, so Ting, Pooja, Gabriella Akari and Ashley. Hanna had a spot so I don't what is up with that did i see her name on a senior assignment instead somewhere?

Maxine BAUTISTA
Emma COPPESS
Hanna HARRELL
Angelina HUANG
Sarah JUNG
Emilia MURDOCK
Kaitlyn NGUYEN
Jenna SHI

Eight ladies for three more spots i think it is. So yeah I would give them to any of these eight and see who shines. I would like to see Kaitlyn get an assignment. We talk about developing skaters, people have been excited about her for years now... let's develop her and give her a JGP in her second year.

To be clear I do want to see Ting get to compete again... just that I think we need to send junior ladies to more events than just the JGP.

frida80

Record Breaker
Well lets take a look

For next week as subs we have

Maxine BAUTISTA
Emma COPPESS
Ting CUI
Hanna HARRELL
Angelina HUANG
Gabriella IZZO
Sarah JUNG
Pooja KALYAN
Ashley LIN
Emilia MURDOCK
Akari NAKAHARA
Kaitlyn NGUYEN
Jenna SHI

Listed as subs, lets get rid of those with an assignment already, so Ting, Pooja, Gabriella Akari and Ashley. Hanna had a spot so I don't what is up with that did i see her name on a senior assignment instead somewhere?

Maxine BAUTISTA
Emma COPPESS
Hanna HARRELL
Angelina HUANG
Sarah JUNG
Emilia MURDOCK
Kaitlyn NGUYEN
Jenna SHI

Eight ladies for three more spots i think it is. So yeah I would give them to any of these eight and see who shines. I would like to see Kaitlyn get an assignment. We talk about developing skaters, people have been excited about her for years now... let's develop her and give her a JGP in her second year.

To be clear I do want to see Ting get to compete again... just that I think we need to send junior ladies to more events than just the JGP.

Based on the score of how those remaining ladies have performed this summer, none of them deserve a spot. Maybe Emma, and that is a big stretch. Only Hanna should go, and it appears that she is injured.

In order rebuild ladies juniors, we need to get juniors in the habit of performing well during the summer. Angelina does not derserve a JGP slot for scoring a 146 at a club competition. The ladies that were chosen scored the highest in the country. Ting scored 186. Hanna 184. Pooja 177. Audrey 169. Gabriella 169. I think these should be benchmark scores.

Just from the first two competitions this season I can already see some ways to improve for next year.

1. Stop encouraging kids to go to high level choreographers and direct them to people that will work with closely with them. Look at the difference between Pooja's program and Ting's. Ting's programa are well suited for her and also helped her improve on her lines and extensions. Pooja's are a complete mismatch. I think Derrick did an excellent job with Ting and it showed from her high PCS mark.

2. Encourage juniors plant to compete on the JGP to compete on the Junior Circuit to break in their junior programs. I also wish they would send their top three juniors to Asian Open so they can compete internationally before the senior starts.

And if their going to have a juniors champs camp, it should be two weeks before the senior one. It enough time for Pooja and Ting to incorporate feedback. It's like cramming before an exam.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Stitch: If it were me I’d be asking, of the skaters you listed, (1) who has demonstrated the highest potential to be competitive at a world level, and (2) of those who could be competitive, what do they need to focus on right now to get there?

I personally think Ting has a ton of potential. IMO, she already has good technique and good presentation. Right now she needs to learn how to compete under pressure. So to me it makes sense to give her a second GP, because it will strengthen her where she’s weak.

Who else falls into that category right now besides Pooja?

ETA I generally agree with Frida, except I’m not sure I agree that Hanna is soup yet.

frida80

Record Breaker
Stitch: If it were me I’d be asking, of the skaters you listed, (1) who has demonstrated the highest potential to be competitive at a world level, and (2) of those who could be competitive, what do they need to focus on right now to get there?

I personally think Ting has a ton of potential. IMO, she already has good technique and good presentation. Right now she needs to learn how to compete under pressure. So to me it makes sense to give her a second GP, because it will strengthen her where she’s weak.

Who else falls into that category right now besides Pooja?

ETA I generally agree with Frida, except I’m not sure I agree that Hanna is soup yet.

Hanna is soup? Did I type something wrong again? This darn auto correct!

frida80

Record Breaker
No no! I just meant that I think she would benefit most from working on her presentation right now. Sorry!

Oh! Sorry, I've accidentally type some
Very odd things, so I automatically thought it was my autocorrect again.

I definitely think Hanna can work on her presentation. I really like Derrick's choreography for Ting, but he's in California. Who can she find that's local?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Oh! Sorry, I've accidentally type some
Very odd things, so I automatically thought it was my autocorrect again.

I definitely think Hanna can work on her presentation. I really like Derrick's choreography for Ting, but he's in California. Who can she find that's local?

Did you mean Ting or Hanna? If Hanna, not sure bc isn’t she in Texas? She could and probably should study dance and acting down there, but for SS...maybe she needs to travel.

Ting could keep working on her SS with Ryan Jahnke - he is in CS.

frida80

Record Breaker
Did you mean Ting or Hanna? If Hanna, not sure bc isn’t she in Texas? She could and probably should study dance and acting down there, but for SS...maybe she needs to travel.

Ting could keep working on her SS with Ryan Jahnke - he is in CS.
I was talking about Hanna. It looks like Tom and Tammy have their skaters in mandatory ballet classes and SS classes.

Hmmm... maybe Hanna should travel to work on these skills. I don't think ballet will be enough.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I was talking about Hanna. It looks like Tom and Tammy have their skaters in mandatory ballet classes and SS classes.

Hmmm... maybe Hanna should travel to work on these skills. I don't think ballet will be enough.

It’s hard to say. Ballet won’t improve her edges and flow for sure! But it might help with the other parts of presentation - carriage, communication, paying attention to music etc. I’ve only seen her live once in competition and I felt those things were missing. I’m not otherwise familiar with her skating, and it may have just been an off day for her. But since it was the artistic comp, it was a bit surprising. Still, maybe her program was new.

I actually think Ryan Jahnke may already be working with Tom’s academy- I think I saw a picture of him in one of Tom’s posts about it and I think there’s a clip of him with Vincent. Anyway, I know Ryan has taught at World Arena for a long time and for the past few years he’s also taught at 7K. Not sure if he’s still at 7K though.

askate225

Spectator
Country
United-States
I do not know whether Hanna is injured and I truly hope that she isn't. The coaches she trains with have their skaters doing far too many hours of on ice training per day. Many of their skaters have overuse injuries such as stress fractures. It seems skating 3 to 4 hours per day would be enough and then do more off ice training for strength and injury prevention. The number of triple jump attempts needs to be tracked and limited to a certain max amount in order to try to prevent overuse injuries.

askate225

Spectator
Country
United-States
How long are skaters in her group on ice per day?

I don't know exact amounts for each skater, but I know it can be at least 6 hrs per day 5 days a week. I'm sure it is hard to find the right balance of on ice vs. off ice training and I feel like that could differ based on the individual skater. The Russian ladies train quite a few hours per day on the ice as well, they have overuse injuries too, so finding that balance seems to be something everyone is working on.

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't know exact amounts for each skater, but I know it can be at least 6 hrs per day 5 days a week. I'm sure it is hard to find the right balance of on ice vs. off ice training and I feel like that could differ based on the individual skater. The Russian ladies train quite a few hours per day on the ice as well, they have overuse injuries too, so finding that balance seems to be something everyone is working on.

Ok. Next rule, limit on ice hours for younger skaters.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We’re there any reports out of Champs Camp on how Gracie is doing? I didn’t see anything posted.

qwerty

On the Ice
We’re there any reports out of Champs Camp on how Gracie is doing? I didn’t see anything posted.

Only did doubles, according to TSL.

For what it's worth, she seems quite positive on social media, so hopefully that will translate into happy skating too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hanna has been replaced in JGP Canada with Gabriella. I’m happy for Gabriella but seriously bummed for Hannah.

Hanna is wearing a boot :( in the second photo here (posted tonight):

(Wishing Hanna a speedy recovery. And BTW, Belated Happy Birthday to Audrey Lu. :hb:)

… I actually think Ryan Jahnke may already be working with Tom’s academy- I think I saw a picture of him in one of Tom’s posts about it ...

Yes, TZ had posted video of Ryan Jahnke and Ben Agosto teaching skating skills to a large group on World Arena Skating Academy's very first day:

Not sure if this was on here yet: Ting also has JGP Ostrava (week 5)

Per the post from Spirals on Aug 29, Ting was assigned to Ostrava before the results from Austria were known.

I know that it is possible for USFS to change its mind, but :laugh15: FWIW :hopelessness:, my gut is that it will not.

I expect Ting to be there along with her training mates Camden and Yelim Kim.

(Shallow aside: I love Ting's costumes, esp. her SP costume. :luv17:)

… Listed as subs, lets get rid of those with an assignment already, so Ting, Pooja, Gabriella Akari and Ashley. ...

Maxine BAUTISTA
Emma COPPESS
Hanna HARRELL
Angelina HUANG
Sarah JUNG
Emilia MURDOCK
Kaitlyn NGUYEN
Jenna SHI

If you're counting senior assignments for junior-eligible skaters (such as for Akari), then Maxine Bautista had Philadelphia International.