2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 246 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly, PCS are a reflection of politics and reputation. Mariah has had TWO clean shorts this entire season internationally; one at the very beginning of the season and yesterday, so her PCS are not going to skyrocket suddenly. The long is where she “broke through” this season having competed several near clean or clean long programs, so if she performs a clean one here, her scores should hopefully reflect that.

I agree with you about Mariah. Very well stated.

I think we need to give all judges a break ... this competition, everybody's nationals, all the international competitions. This is exactly what Sonia Biancetta (sp?) predicted upon instating the IJS. She said that in order to make a quick judgement and post all the numbers they have to post, they would have to rely somewhat on what they knew before of the skater. And all that glancing down to press buttons after every element would hinder their experience of, and reliance on, those wonderful inexplicable unmeasurable things that make figure skating performances great.

I try to be inspired by the attitudes of the skaters, who constantly say that what the judges decide is out of their control. So they just skate, and improve, and stay dedicated to what they love.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Ting was underscored i think. Being in the earlier groups did her no favor along with being a new face to Senior competition.

The only way a new face to Senior competition is going to get big marks right out of the gate is if they make a big splash in the Juniors first and build some type of hype. That's a big problem with the American ladies. They do okay on the Junior circuit but they don't stand out and they don't enter seniors with any type of momentum. So when they turn senior they got to build a reputation almost from scratch. It's partly why the Americans have to play catch up with the Russians and Japanese. Perhaps that will change with Alysa

skatenewbie

Medalist
Both Bradie and Mariah waste the chance to medal... well at least we retain 3 spot. Im not that optimistic at Worlds now but hopefully it can be redemption for both of them! I hope bradie ditch 3Lz-3Lo completely, better stick to 2A-3T and be clean rather than pop most of the times. Mariah long is quite consistent i guess pressure/nerves got her. Not too shabby overall

frida80

Record Breaker
Both Bradie and Mariah waste the chance to medal... well at least we retain 3 spot. Im not that optimistic at Worlds now but hopefully it can be redemption for both of them! I hope bradie ditch 3Lz-3Lo completely, better stick to 2A-3T and be clean rather than pop most of the times. Mariah long is quite consistent i guess pressure/nerves got her. Not too shabby overall

Everyone in 4CC gets three spot.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Everybody has 3 spots at 4CC (if they have enough skaters with the required TES scores). There were 3 Chinese dance teams! And 3 US pairs! And 3 men from Chinese Hong Kong! That's just a few of the wonders to be seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Four_Continents_Figure_Skating_Championships

Everyone in 4CC gets three spot.
oh i didnt know that. Since European spot determined like World spot i though 4CC is the same! Thanks for the info

skatefan17

On the Ice
If Bradie had added a triple flip triple toe, would she have medaled? I don't understand why these coaches do not prepare two or three back up jumping passes in the event an error is made. Seems to be such an easy fix, were it to be planned and practiced. Very sad results for the Americans, yet again.

doublequad

On the Ice
If Bradie had added a triple flip triple toe, would she have medaled? I don't understand why these coaches do not prepare two or three back up jumping passes in the event an error is made. Seems to be such an easy fix, were it to be planned and practiced. Very sad results for the Americans, yet again.

i'm sure they have backups but in the heat of the moment when you botch a jumping pass i'd think it's kinda hard to think

skatenewbie

Medalist
i think skaters do try other combos, but when you skate its not easy to think how you could change the layout and not zayak-ing if you are not used to it, also landings that are not the best and can make skaters not confidence to add combo. If she forced to add 3T she might fall instead and lose point

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

frida80

Record Breaker
That’s kind of unfair considering what the European countries have to do at Europeans. Then again 4CC only had 12 Ice Dance teams which is mad.

That’s the point. There just isn’t enough competitors to justify restricting participation. Think about this, with the rules in place European Still gets around 40 men to compete at Europeans. Compare that with just 25 men in 4CC. It makes sense there are fewer competitors based on travel cost, lack of qualifying scores and prestige.

The cost of traveling across Europe is much cheaper than traveling from South America to Taipei. The cheapest flight I could find is $1600 from Buenos Aires to Taipei. Compare that with $255 from Zagreb to Moscow.

Then there’s fewer people that get the technical minimums. That’s mostly because smaller feds are still being developed and there are fewer senior B competition outside of Europe. There are a ton of competitions in Europe that you can get senior minimum from. In contrast, there are only a handful in North America and Asia. None in South America or Africa. Obviously, skating isn’t big everywhere in the world but lacking more local competitions means less of a chance of getting those minimums since traveling to Europe can be costly.

Finally, prestige. Europeans is the oldest ISU competition. It’s over 100 years old and is even older than Worlds. Getting a medal at Europeans is a lifelong goal of many people and is highly respected. In contrast, 4CC is much younger. Having started in 1999, it’s over 100 years younger than Europeans. Michelle Kwan never competed there. Ashley Wagner stopped going after 2012. While there have been some wonderful moments there, it just lacks the history and the prestige of Europeans.

So they get less competitors every year. Unless travel gets far less expensive and there is an explosion of figure skating in smaller feds, it will probably never need the same rules as Europeans to whittle down the competitors.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Everybody has 3 spots at 4CC (if they have enough skaters with the required TES scores). There were 3 Chinese dance teams! And 3 US pairs! And 3 men from Chinese Hong Kong! That's just a few of the wonders to be seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Four_Continents_Figure_Skating_Championships

Yes, each fed at Four Continents gets 3 spots. :agree:

(But your third example is off. Hong Kong has only two entries in men: Leslie Man Cheuk Ip and Harrison Jon-Yen Wong.)

Onward and upward for Ting :ghug:, who had the pressure of Junior Worlds team camp just a few short days ago, not many days after Nats.

And for Mariah and Bradie.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I really admire Bradie to keeping on at the Lutz Loop. As much as she isn’t consistent with it yet she knows she needs to keep pushing her technical boundaries or when everyone is clean skaters like Rika will always beat her.

I hope she keeps going with it.

andromache

Record Breaker
I really admire Bradie to keeping on at the Lutz Loop. As much as she isn’t consistent with it yet she knows she needs to keep pushing her technical boundaries or when everyone is clean skaters like Rika will always beat her.

I hope she keeps going with it.

This is how I have felt throughout the season, but I think at Worlds she needs to play it safe and focus on clean rotations and positive GOE. She can revisit the 3Lz-3Lo next season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is how I have felt throughout the season, but I think at Worlds she needs to play it safe and focus on clean rotations and positive GOE. She can revisit the 3Lz-3Lo next season.

I completely agree. It was sad to see her drop out of a podium finish. Better luck at Worlds.

macy

Record Breaker
I thought some of the judging was rather questionable for mariah and bradies freeskates...

First, I didnt understand one or 2 of the URs bradie received. I thought they were rather harsh on her in that aspect and I dont understand what the judges were actually seeing... some of the replays they showed were 100% not URs.

The deliberate underscoring of mariah's PCS, especially relative to bradie here, is really disappointing. Although bradie has come a long way from last season in this aspect, mariah is still miles ahead of her. Mariah actually takes you on a journey with her when she skates. Yet she was scored 3 (!!!) points behind bradie in components here in the FS...that is absurd to me. She didnt even necessarily have a worse skate than bradie in this segment either.

I thought these two might have the advantage of home judging on their side, but apparently not.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I thought some of the judging was rather questionable for mariah and bradies freeskates...

First, I didnt understand one or 2 of the URs bradie received. I thought they were rather harsh on her in that aspect and I dont understand what the judges were actually seeing... some of the replays they showed were 100% not URs.

The deliberate underscoring of mariah's PCS, especially relative to bradie here, is really disappointing. Although bradie has come a long way from last season in this aspect, mariah is still miles ahead of her. Mariah actually takes you on a journey with her when she skates. Yet she was scored 3 (!!!) points behind bradie in components here in the FS...that is absurd to me. She didnt even necessarily have a worse skate than bradie in this segment either.

I thought these two might have the advantage of home judging on their side, but apparently not.

I feel like they were very lenient with Bradie. She had an underrotation in the SP which was not called. Also her Lutz had a flat to shallow inside edge.

Agree on Mariah's PCs. They are too low. I do not understand what they judges were thinking. She has such a nice quality in her skating.